April 2016 Moms
Options

FFFC!

2»

Re: FFFC!

• Options
    fourtsixand2 FFFC stands for Flame-Free Friday Confessions :)

That's really unfortunate, about your friend. I don't really understand why she would block you from her wall rather than just hide your stuff from her feed, if she's struggling. (But I do think it's odd that she would be struggling that much anyway, based on your description.) Hopefully she will com around!
  • Options
    My FFFC - one of the reasons I am glad that I'm having another boy because of my MIL. She already favors my niece to DS and has made it very clear through her actions and words. SIL is having another girl and I couldnt imagine having a little girl who would be constantly compared to SIL girls.

Sad I know but it's a fact.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My FFFC - one of the reasons I am glad that I'm having another boy because of my MIL. She already favors my niece to DS and has made it very clear through her actions and words. SIL is having another girl and I couldnt imagine having a little girl who would be constantly compared to SIL girls. Sad I know but it's a fact.
    I'm curious how my own mother is going to treat my baby vs. my niece. She almost ditched the dr. appt I invited her to yesterday because she wanted to take my niece roller skating. She takes her multiple times a week and she doesn't work so it isn't as though she was missing out on something super special. She acted like she was all put out. Honestly, I didn't want her there anyway but I wanted to get the invitation out of the way so I didn't feel obligated to include her at a later, more invasive or important appointment. She made the appt about herself anyway so whatever. lol 
  • Options
    So I was at a hockey game last night, and apparently now we're not just doing the 3rd period salute to our troops, we're also doing a salute to our cops in the first period.  I'm already pretty uncomfortable with the former, which is apparently a paid advertisement for the Armed Forces by the DOD; I appreciate the men and women whose service we're celebrating, but it feels pretty gross that somebody's getting paid to make me do it.  I'm operating under the assumption that it's a similar sort of publicity stunt for the PD.

My FFFC? I do actually participate in saluting the veteran honorees (stand, clap politely), but I didn't stand up for the cop. Like, maybe the honoree that evening is an actual hero or something, but our PD has recently had a number of pretty nasty allegations of brutality leveled against it that have been largely swept under the rug (including one cop who was found not guilty of involuntary manslaughter because firing blindly over your shoulder into a crowd of people who have their backs turned to you isn't technically negligent), and I've personally seen some neighbors treated pretty roughly as a matter of course, so I just can't get behind this kind of forced celebration for a guy whose only act of heroism, so far as I know, is having worn a badge.  Luckily I could pass it off as, "Whoo, pregnancy. I'm too tired to get up!"  If this is going to be a thing at games now, I'm going to have an issue.  

I also didn't join the celebration for the goal scored by our team's accused-but-not-convicted rapist. It's a crapshoot whether he actually did it or not, but I'd rather accidentally not cheer for an innocent man than cheer for a rapist.  He's getting paid anyway, so I don't think it matters to him whether I'm cheering or not, but it matters to me.

So... being a hockey fan is quite complicated this season.
  • Options

AGK2015 said:

I also didn't join the celebration for the goal scored by our team's accused-but-not-convicted rapist. It's a crapshoot whether he actually did it or not, but I'd rather accidentally not cheer for an innocent man than cheer for a rapist.  He's getting paid anyway, so I don't think it matters to him whether I'm cheering or not, but it matters to me.

Are you a Blackhawks fan (I assumed you were referencing Kane)?  Stars fanatic here - just gotta say we're glad to welcome Sharp and Odouya to the team this year.
    And, I mean, is there any other sport besides hockey?  I think not.
  • Options
    @fourtsixand2 - I am indeed!  I was so sorry to see Sharpie and Oduya go; you guys got some really great hockey players, and some pretty decent guys to boot.  I was sad to lose Stephen Johns, too, actually... we're definitely a little short on defense now, especially with Keith out.  Here's hoping Trevor Daley steps it up for us!
  • Options
    AGK2015 said:

So I was at a hockey game last night, and apparently now we're not just doing the 3rd period salute to our troops, we're also doing a salute to our cops in the first period.  I'm already pretty uncomfortable with the former, which is apparently a paid advertisement for the Armed Forces by the DOD; I appreciate the men and women whose service we're celebrating, but it feels pretty gross that somebody's getting paid to make me do it.  I'm operating under the assumption that it's a similar sort of publicity stunt for the PD.

My FFFC? I do actually participate in saluting the veteran honorees (stand, clap politely), but I didn't stand up for the cop. Like, maybe the honoree that evening is an actual hero or something, but our PD has recently had a number of pretty nasty allegations of brutality leveled against it that have been largely swept under the rug (including one cop who was found not guilty of involuntary manslaughter because firing blindly over your shoulder into a crowd of people who have their backs turned to you isn't technically negligent), and I've personally seen some neighbors treated pretty roughly as a matter of course, so I just can't get behind this kind of forced celebration for a guy whose only act of heroism, so far as I know, is having worn a badge.  Luckily I could pass it off as, "Whoo, pregnancy. I'm too tired to get up!"  If this is going to be a thing at games now, I'm going to have an issue.  

When I first started reading this I was like, aw hell no! But after reading your intelligent, though-out post, I have to agree. You aren't blindly hating cops everywhere, which I do take issue with. There are bad people in every profession, military included, and I think the more important thing is honoring the service, not the individuals. I don't know many veterans who go around bragging about their service, and I don't really hear cops doing it either, so it's funny to me that there's paid advertising that forces people to honor veterans. That being said, my general argument to people who hate police is that they shouldn't be doing something to get police involved in their lives. I'm sure they'd rather end their shift on time than deal with some drunk idiot. I don't like cops either, until someone hits my car or tries to break into my house; then, I'm pretty glad there are so many of them where I live.
  • Options
    AmadorRoseAmadorRose member
    edited October 2015
    My FFFC: I hate people who have crazy ideas about PTSD. Not only veterans and police officers are affected, and not everyone who claims to have it has a legitimate problem. When my mother makes comments about DH beating me in his sleep because he has PTSD, I was to donkey punch her in the kidneys. When people downplay the trauma that rape victims undergo, I want to force them to watch their daughter or best friend have a rape kit done. When people fake PTSD for pity or government benefits, I want to push them off of a cliff so the world can be a better place. Sorry, kid who went to boot camp when the drill sergeants couldn't even touch you, but saying that shooting a gun and throwing a grenade gave you PTSD is obscene.

ETA: people whose minds can't be changed, not people who are unfamiliar with PTSD.
  • Options

My FFFC: I hate people who have crazy ideas about PTSD. Not only veterans and police officers are affected, and not everyone who claims to have it has a legitimate problem. When my mother makes comments about DH beating me in his sleep because he has PTSD, I was to donkey punch her in the kidneys. When people downplay the trauma that rape victims undergo, I want to force them to watch their daughter or best friend have a rape kit done. When people fake PTSD for pity or government benefits, I want to push them off of a cliff so the world can be a better place. Sorry, kid who went to boot camp when the drill sergeants couldn't even touch you, but saying that shooting a gun and throwing a grenade gave you PTSD is obscene.

ETA: people whose minds can't be changed, not people who are unfamiliar with PTSD.

Need clarification:

I'm having a hard time interpreting whether or not you are defending PTSD or downplaying the severity of it? Forgive me if I am misreading this, but either way, I take issue with people who don't take mental health issues seriously. (Coming from a person with previous education/experience in mental healthcare personally/professionally.)
  • Options
    Yep, don't hate cops.  I don't necessarily trust them, but I don't default to trusting the majority of civilians I encounter either, so that's not anything special.  I do hold them to a higher standard than most people, which I feel is probably reasonable considering their relative power in and over the community. I also don't necessarily consider them heroes; some, as you say, are bad people. The majority are decent people doing their jobs more or less correctly, which help keep the city functioning (but doesn't necessarily imply heroism). A few are good people who have done exceptional things in their community; those people would probably have been heroes in any field they'd gone into. My only problem comes when folks demand that we treat all cops as though they fall into that third category, which happens quite a bit. It's not your career choice that makes you a hero, it's your actions.

Kind of the same way I see the military; there are a few war criminals, a large number of decent folks who join up and do their duty (which may or may not relate to protecting my freedom, depending on the time, place and manner of service), and some individuals who accomplish incredible things either for our country or for the civilians of the country they've been deployed to. I don't have a problem with the military in general, just with the POV that says I should see my ex-Seabee husband as a hero on par with the WWII veterans who liberated Dachau.  I love the guy, obviously, but ritualistically thanking him for his service in installing Navy toilets would be a little over the top.
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    My FFFC: I hate people who have crazy ideas about PTSD. Not only veterans and police officers are affected, and not everyone who claims to have it has a legitimate problem. When my mother makes comments about DH beating me in his sleep because he has PTSD, I was to donkey punch her in the kidneys. When people downplay the trauma that rape victims undergo, I want to force them to watch their daughter or best friend have a rape kit done. When people fake PTSD for pity or government benefits, I want to push them off of a cliff so the world can be a better place. Sorry, kid who went to boot camp when the drill sergeants couldn't even touch you, but saying that shooting a gun and throwing a grenade gave you PTSD is obscene. ETA: people whose minds can't be changed, not people who are unfamiliar with PTSD.
    Need clarification: I'm having a hard time interpreting whether or not you are defending PTSD or downplaying the severity of it? Forgive me if I am misreading this, but either way, I take issue with people who don't take mental health issues seriously. (Coming from a person with previous education/experience in mental healthcare personally/professionally.)
    I personally interpreted it as saying PTSD isn't funny or a laughing matter... that it is a serious matter.  I didn't read her downplaying it at all.
    And fyi, the purpose of this thread is to vent without flaming, as I understand it.
  • Options

akb1125 said:
    I hate going to my in-laws for holidays because I never like the food they make. I'm going to my moms the day after thanksgiving so I can eat her leftovers. :) haha
    This. Seriously, so much this. DH's family makes these nasty "kitchen sink" mashed potatoes (their words) with, like, sour cream in them, and they are disgusting. Why is there sour cream in your mashed potatoes?!?

Andplusalso, they don't have Costco pumpkin pie, which is just a tragedy.
  • Options
    cmjenkiescmjenkies member
    edited October 2015

cmjenkies said:

Need clarification:

I'm having a hard time interpreting whether or not you are defending PTSD or downplaying the severity of it? Forgive me if I am misreading this, but either way, I take issue with people who don't take mental health issues seriously. (Coming from a person with previous education/experience in mental healthcare personally/professionally.)

I personally interpreted it as saying PTSD isn't funny or a laughing matter... that it is a serious matter.  I didn't read her downplaying it at all.
    And fyi, the purpose of this thread is to vent without flaming, as I understand it.

^^^

Girl, don't FYI me. You must be new here on FFFC.. but if you can read fine print (or disclaimers) -

**NOT GUARANTEED TO BE FLAME FREE**

FWIW that's what I hope she meant. That's why I asked for clarification, nevertheless. Some things are worth flaming for! ;)

Edited because I'm bad at words and almost feel guilty for showing Internet sass.. almost.
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    cmjenkies said:
    My FFFC: I hate people who have crazy ideas about PTSD. Not only veterans and police officers are affected, and not everyone who claims to have it has a legitimate problem. When my mother makes comments about DH beating me in his sleep because he has PTSD, I was to donkey punch her in the kidneys. When people downplay the trauma that rape victims undergo, I want to force them to watch their daughter or best friend have a rape kit done. When people fake PTSD for pity or government benefits, I want to push them off of a cliff so the world can be a better place. Sorry, kid who went to boot camp when the drill sergeants couldn't even touch you, but saying that shooting a gun and throwing a grenade gave you PTSD is obscene. ETA: people whose minds can't be changed, not people who are unfamiliar with PTSD.
    Need clarification: I'm having a hard time interpreting whether or not you are defending PTSD or downplaying the severity of it? Forgive me if I am misreading this, but either way, I take issue with people who don't take mental health issues seriously. (Coming from a person with previous education/experience in mental healthcare personally/professionally.)
    ^^^ Girl, don't FYI me. You must be new here on FFFC.. but if you can read fine print (or disclaimers) - **NOT GUARANTEED TO BE FLAME FREE** That's why I asked for clarification, nevertheless. Some things are worth flaming for! ;) Edited because I'm bad at words and almost feel guilty for showing Internet sass.. almost.
    ....you've got to be kidding me.
  • Options
    AEG84 said:

akb1125 said:

I hate going to my in-laws for holidays because I never like the food they make. I'm going to my moms the day after thanksgiving so I can eat her leftovers. :) haha

This. Seriously, so much this. DH's family makes these nasty "kitchen sink" mashed potatoes (their words) with, like, sour cream in them, and they are disgusting. Why is there sour cream in your mashed potatoes?!?

Andplusalso, they don't have Costco pumpkin pie, which is just a tragedy.

It's the worst. Haha I guess it's the sacrifices we make being married. ;)

This year they're not cooking a turkey but just buying turkey breast? I was so confused. I asked my husband if they were getting ham or sonething instead but he wasn't sure. There's at least 10 people going so idk why they just wouldn't cook a turkey.
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    cmjenkies said:
    cmjenkies said:
    ^^^ Girl, don't FYI me. You must be new here on FFFC.. but if you can read fine print (or disclaimers) - **NOT GUARANTEED TO BE FLAME FREE** That's why I asked for clarification, nevertheless. Some things are worth flaming for! ;) Edited because I'm bad at words and almost feel guilty for showing Internet sass.. almost.
    ....you've got to be kidding me.
    Oh, I am kidding you.. but I do find it a bit funny that the one slightly non-PC comment I make actually does elicit that response. I do have strong feelings about mental healthcare being taken seriously in this country though and I have heard disparaging comments in the past (not on this board) re: similar topics that have bothered me deeply. Although, my FFFC may be that I really really get irked when people try to "FYI" me. It's a bit rude and condescending, whether or not it intends to be. :D
    I don't find it rude at all. If your interpretation of the word 'fyi' is deemed as such by you, my apologies. I was simply stating that isn't how I deciphered her post and I actually found it to be on the side of support.
  • Options
    @cmjenkies I just watched an old episode of Bad Girls Club and I immediately read your post with the sassy voice haha.

• Options
    yodiggity said:

My FFFC - one of the reasons I am glad that I'm having another boy because of my MIL. She already favors my niece to DS and has made it very clear through her actions and words. SIL is having another girl and I couldnt imagine having a little girl who would be constantly compared to SIL girls.

Sad I know but it's a fact.

I'm curious how my own mother is going to treat my baby vs. my niece. She almost ditched the dr. appt I invited her to yesterday because she wanted to take my niece roller skating. She takes her multiple times a week and she doesn't work so it isn't as though she was missing out on something super special. She acted like she was all put out. Honestly, I didn't want her there anyway but I wanted to get the invitation out of the way so I didn't feel obligated to include her at a later, more invasive or important appointment. She made the appt about herself anyway so whatever. lol 

@yodiggity I'm sorry! It's not something I ever had to think of prior to my niece being born and quite frankly it sucks. It's caused a lot of unnecessary issues that I hope you don't have to go through. Because my niece was born was born with blonde hair and blue eyes (no one in DH's family including my BIL has light eyes or hair and neither does my SIL) my MIL acts as though she is the second coming of Christ! On top of that, my MIL only had boys so of course she's loving having a little girl around but the overly obvious favoritism has caused a lot of issues for her and I as well as for DH and I as a result. I think it's ok for a grandparent to be more drawn to one grandkid over others but you don't show favoritism.
  • Options
    akb1125 said:

I hate my in-laws food too. I don't live close enough to my family to eat good thanksgiving food, so I'm planning on making my own favorite dishes to eat earlier that day.

• Options

cmjenkies said:

Need clarification:

This is exactly what I meant. People who don't have/don't know people with PTSD who downplay its effects or blow its effects out of proportion piss me off. Know before you speak. And people who fake any kind of mental illness should be rounded up and dealt with because it's obvious when it's fake and gives people with legitimate issues a bad rep.

I'm pretty passionate about mental and physical health, PTSD is just my soap box.

Also, @cmjenkies is not new here and, as I'm reading it, was trying to help interpret what I'm saying because sometimes I only make sense in my head. Things get jumbled up as they tumble out because I think faster than I speak/type. My proofread snake sense to me because I know what I mean. I totally read @fourtsixand2 's responses in a divas voice and imagined her waving her finger at her phone, so that was entertaining.
  • Options
    mccartra said:

akb1125 said:

I hate my in-laws food too. I don't live close enough to my family to eat good thanksgiving food, so I'm planning on making my own favorite dishes to eat earlier that day.

I don't mind my in laws' food... I just don't like going because I like being at my house with my family better!! :)

• Options
    Oh wow I have a FFFC. I had NO idea that car seats had expiration dates - and this will be my second child. I was reading that other thread thinking "what the heck is she talking about? Expiration date?!"
  • Options
    spatter1 said:

mccartra said:

akb1125 said:

I don't mind my in laws' food... I just don't like going because I like being at my house with my family better!! :)

Haha yes to this as well!!
  • Options
    Oh I have another one!

I hate when ppl without kids call a dinner out "date night." Isn't every night a date night?!?

I used to hate it when all couples said it but now I can understand why ppl with kids say it. Meals out alone with no children are few and far between. Haha
  • Options
    @DougalMcG I didn't know until a few months ago, when I joined a car seat group on FB. I've learned all sorts of things!
  • Options
    akb1125 said:

Oh I have another one!

I hate when ppl without kids call a dinner out "date night." Isn't every night a date night?!?

I used to hate it when all couples said it but now I can understand why ppl with kids say it. Meals out alone with no children are few and far between. Haha

I completely disagree. The only times DH and I ate out before DD was born were on special planned dates, otherwise we cook at home. Meals out were just as rare and special as they are now.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    yodiggity said:
    Here's another, because I'm sad my delicious lunch is gone:
    I feel like I could literally drink gravy right now. I had the most amazing dinner on vaca a couple weeks ago (roasted turkey and gravy over bacon mashed potatoes on top of a safe stuffing waffle...omg) and I have been craving turkey and gravy since. Earlier this week I made a crockpot chicken and gravy with homemade mashed potatoes and just finished the leftovers. I am so so so sad, and I want more gravy. Probably over something would be best, but I'm not picky...
    :P
    I made a mini-thanksgiving meal for dinner last night. Turkey cutlets, cranberry sauce, homemade mac n cheese and stuffing and GRAVY! It was delicious.

Oh and apple pie with ice cream.
    Coming over... be there in a few!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    akb1125akb1125 member
    edited October 2015
    mrstrax said:

akb1125 said:

Oh I have another one!

I completely disagree. The only times DH and I ate out before DD was born were on special planned dates, otherwise we cook at home. Meals out were just as rare and special as they are now.
    Eh I look at date night as alone time so to me isn't every dinner a date night when you're a couple with no kids?

Just my opinion though! :) Maybe it annoys me more bc ppl feel the need to post it on fb. Haha
  • Options
    akb1125 said:
    I love my in-laws, but they all grew up in an Asian country and don't have quite the same attachments to American holiday traditions. They celebrate Christmas with a big family get together, but there's never a tree and dinner is likely to be Chinese or Indian food. I always end up a little sad around Christmas because nobody around me is interested in celebrating like we did when I was a kid. 
  • Options
    DougalMcG said:
    Oh wow I have a FFFC. I had NO idea that car seats had expiration dates - and this will be my second child. I was reading that other thread thinking "what the heck is she talking about? Expiration date?!"
    Me too! I just read that thread, and I'm like whaaaaat?
  • Options
    fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited October 2015

cmjenkies said:

Need clarification:

This is exactly what I meant. People who don't have/don't know people with PTSD who downplay its effects or blow its effects out of proportion piss me off. Know before you speak. And people who fake any kind of mental illness should be rounded up and dealt with because it's obvious when it's fake and gives people with legitimate issues a bad rep.

I'm pretty passionate about mental and physical health, PTSD is just my soap box.

Also, @cmjenkies is not new here and, as I'm reading it, was trying to help interpret what I'm saying because sometimes I only make sense in my head. Things get jumbled up as they tumble out because I think faster than I speak/type. My proofread snake sense to me because I know what I mean. I totally read @fourtsixand2 's responses in a divas voice and imagined her waving her finger at her phone, so that was entertaining.

.....how did you read my defending PTSD and sympathizing with the post as being a diva????
    I also at no point said she was new here.
  • Options
    My husband has been gone for the last two weeks and I've had the most stressful two weeks at work EVER (my student has been very violent and got suspended for kicking a Ktgn student in the face)... anyway, my FFFC is that I'm pretty sure, due to all of this (and because I'm tired and lazy and strapped for time), that I have not eaten one vegetable in the last two week and that I only have 1 banana a day as a fruit. It makes me feel good and like crap all at the same time. Yuck.
  • Options
    cmjenkiescmjenkies member
    edited October 2015

cmjenkies said:

Need clarification:

That's what I figured you meant, sometimes I have a hard time reading things and organizing my thoughts at the same time. I confess though, if you re-read that thread some of those diva responses MAY have actually been mine - although I promise there is no finger waving coming from over here, haha. Just an overworked momma with a slightly short Friday fuse who doesn't take well to FYIs. ~X(

I'm glad to hear real, positive dialogue on mental health issues. I share your sentiments @AmadorRose.
  • Options
    @fourtsixand2 and @cmjenkies I'm not saying either of you are divas - I'm saying that was the voice in my head when I read the back-and forth. Try it, and if you don't find it a little funny in that light you're welcome to be upset at a random stranger whom you'll never meet being offensive because she can't adequately express her thoughts.
  • Options
    So I'm late posting, but my dog had cheerios for dinner last night because I forgot to get more dog food on the way home and was too lazy to leave again.
  • Options

@fourtsixand2 and @cmjenkies I'm not saying either of you are divas - I'm saying that was the voice in my head when I read the back-and forth. Try it, and if you don't find it a little funny in that light you're welcome to be upset at a random stranger whom you'll never meet being offensive because she can't adequately express her thoughts.

LOL no, I was still laughing about the Bad GIrls Club comment from before. I do think it's funny and I'm definitely not upset in the least.. I was just saying if you read back through it may have been me, but I'm obviously no good at properly conveying Internet sass/sarcasm even if I want to, haha. It's really not that deep, no worries m'dear! ;)
  • Options

So I'm late posting, but my dog had cheerios for dinner last night because I forgot to get more dog food on the way home and was too lazy to leave again.

We gave mine carrots for breakfast once when I forgot to buy a new bag of food and the store wasn't open yet. Apparently I think my dog is a horse...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker