January 2016 Moms
Options

Aren't you getting rid of your dogs?!

Okay, so, while pregnant with daughter #1 people had lots of opinions about the way we planned on doing things, natural labor and delivery, cloth diapers, ebfing, etc. Basically they all said, "yeah right, you don't know because you haven't had kids, just wait, you'll change your mind". I didn't change my mind so obviously no comments about that stuff now that I'm pregnant with daughter #2.

But one question persists, and I can't understand the rationale behind it. I'm perplexed, stupefied, and just plain annoyed! Can anyone explain this, or has anyone had the same experience?

Question/suggestion/demand: get rid of our dogs, or at least make them live in the backyard (like 100% of the time). WTF?!

We have a lab (100 lbs, not fat) and a ten pound lap dog. They're older dogs too. Completely indoor, lazy, not aggressive, flea & tick free, etc. The only thing they do wrong is steal food.
Guaranteed, if you leave your food unattended, you will come back to find it entirely missing.

Also, he big one sheds twice a year for a couple of weeks , nothing sweeping 12 times a day won't fix. (I jest, more like three times.)

I've always asked, when someone asks, "what are you going to do with the dogs?!" what they mean. It's everything from they'll hurt the baby, to disease, to straight up, "no se, por que...." I don't know, because...

What gives?

Re: Aren't you getting rid of your dogs?!

• Options
    I have 4 big dogs (range from 55-100 pounds) 2 cats & 2 parrots. People make comments like are u afraid the dogs will hurt the babies (expecting twin girls & yes I have a thing for even numbers lol). I'm NOT afraid of my dogs hurting my girls purposely. Maybe on accident as they are 6 yr, 5 yr, 2 yr & 1 yr. Overall not worried. Not worried about anything we busted but in the house to ensure you couldn't tell this many animals live here n we will adjust once the girls are here. I never expected to EVER have children so these animals are my babies as well as the 2 girls coming. I don't understand how people could think anything else.
  • Options
    I get this about my cat too- it infuriates me. I've had the one person say it to me 3 times. Obviously extra care is taken when baby is around any animal, I'm not going to leave my cat in my baby's room unsupervised, but I can understand why anyone will need to get rid of any pet. It takes some adjusting sure... But what in life won't once you have a baby?? I just make a joke and say "oh I was planning on letting them share a room" that ends the conversation pretty quick.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    People ask us about our 3 cats, too. How are you going to keep them out of the crib? How will you keep the baby out of the litter? They are filthy....they'll get the baby sick...
    Our kitties are 9, 5, and 2. They are all well established in our household and we wouldn't dream of finding a new home for them just because we are adding a new family member. We've been training them about the crib with the help of a little tin foil...works great! The baby will learn what the litter box is for and will learn to understand it's not a place to play. And our cats are quite healthy and clean, too. Not too worried about any of this. But opinionated people always have to ask...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    Wow, crazy!  I guess my friends/family are equally as animal obsessed as we are and no one has asked anything like this at all!  Our two kitties and dog are our family.  We wouldn't dream of getting rid of them - I'd be heartbroken!  We're putting our dog through obedience classes right now to prepare him, but that's really the only thing we're doing to get ready.  I think our little girl is so lucky to grow up with three animal "siblings" in her life.  :)

Side note, @starree444 your cat is a beauty!
  • Options
    starree444starree444 member
    edited October 2015
    @MMLmeow What is this tinfoil trick?

And thanks @maureenmce ! He knows it :P
    imageimage
  • Options
    I don't get it but I guess it's easy for people to make comments like "I hope you're getting rid of your dogs" if they think of them just as animals. My 3 dogs and cat are my kids. DH and I have tried for many years to have kids and at times I gave up thinking it was just never going to happen. I have my babies and they are just that my babies. They are my kids and I can't wait for them to meet their new brother:)
  • Options

& yes I have a thing for even numbers

Bahaha thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I tease my boyfriend all the time that now that we're expecting the third kiddo (my second, his third) that we clearly need a third dog and bunny.
    He STRONGLY disagrees.

But to keep on the topic, when I had my son, everyone went bananas about me keeping my dogs. I have two 100+ lb pit bull mixes (and two bunnies). Great dogs. Protective of the kids and I, but so extremely loyal and loving. They are incredibly gentle with both kids (including my clumsy toddler). So, screw everyone. They're my dogs, my babies, and everyone is happy, healthy, well protected, and loved in our house!
  • Options
    Sheesh. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this is a ridiculous sentiment. pp brought up a good point, the dogs are actual in need of protection from the toddler (She drew tiger stripes and a full face mask on the lab with markers, don't worry it came off with wipey's)

So weird about people thinking cats are dirty, they're fastidious!

And if pitbulls can be around bunnies, I think children are safe.

I see it this way, I know my dogs, I know that in he eight and nine years we've had them, they've never snapped or growled in aggression or fear at a human or another animal (weird sounds outside will get them suspicious). And my toddler is pretty rough with them, they get squished, they get hats and they get tucked in. But they just ignore it, or if it bothers them, they walk away. If anything, I find myself telling my daughter to be cautious of other dogs because not all dogs are as friendly. :)

Plus the little one always jumps in the shower with me if I don't close the door all the way so he's probably as clean as most humans.

Love to all the fur babies and responsible owners who consider them family.
  • Options
    I have a giant dog - 80 lbs - but he is so tall his head is countertop level. He does accidentally knock the kids over and he has snapped and growled when startled or over food, but never bitten anyone. My in-laws took him for a few weeks after my second was born and I have to say we were very grateful for the help, but I would never get rid of him and no one has ever suggested that to us!

We also have two cats. I would get the cats declawed if my husband would let me because they do scratch the kids when playing. He says it's cruel to declaw because that's what the shelter told us when we adopted. The vet disagrees and declaws cats all the time. It's never been a mean thing and it's not like a deep scratch, but I know cat scratches can get infected.

My kids don't really like animals and that kind of makes me sad. But I think it's because the big dog knocks them over when they try to play with him and the cats scratch them.
  • Options
    That is awful that people think that. I was asked that same question and it would make me sick :(
  • Options
    Oh gosh I get that ALL the time. My MIL hates dogs and she is constantly on my case about my dog. She refuses to even take her shoes off in my home (which is what we all do) just because I have pets. Her feet are too good for my animal carpets... like I don't vacuum regularly or anything. And won't go to my house if my dog is out. I can't stand it. It's MY HOUSE. so now that I am pregnant she is saying I need to get rid of my "dirty dangerous dog" who wouldn't hurt a fly.
  • Options
    jencook25jencook25 member
    edited October 2015
    Im generally the type of person to avoid conflict at (almost) all costs, so please believe me when I say that a question like "arent you going to get rid of your dogs" really, really calls for an answer like "I'm sorry, I didn't realise that was any of your business..", or "oh of course! Thats why I adopted them, because I didnt really want them, so yes I am planning on being an irresponsible pet owner and dumping my dog. Thanks for the reminder"... Or "of course not. Kids are way better off growing up with dogs. It has been proven time and time again. I dont want them to be like your poor children!"
  • Options
    That is ridiculous! Especially since you only have 2 dogs and 1 is small. They're family members! I have 3 dogs myself and I've been asked a few questions about what my plans are for them when the baby arrives. To which I almost always answer with a puzzled "Well what do you mean?" And if they try to elaborate on it I will do my best to make them feel bad for even suggesting such a thing. All of mine came from a shelter that I work at and were abuse cases, so when I bring that up and it usually shuts people right up! Most people kind of know not to say anything, but DH's family has always been oblivious when it comes to how much I love my pups. I can't wait for my little girl to meet Wally, Ava and Dyna! I don't plan on having anymore children after this one, so I'm really hoping she likes dogs too!
  • Options
    Clearly vicious... viciously begging for belly rubs! What a big ol' lug. My dogs came before my kids (and stepdaughter) and they're staying!
  • Options
    I have two cats and two dogs and a husband (lol). Everyone makes comments about me abandoning my fur babies and it annoys the crap out of me. They tell me horror stories to try and scare me or change my decision. These animals will love my child and they are all current on vaccinations and healthy. Healthier than some people I know!!!!
  • Options
    Totally lurking, but I got that about my cats from my mom and cousin. My mom and dad have 2 large boxers, and a large golden retriever. My cousin has a pitbull. I have a yorkie, a beaglaire and 2 black cats. People just ask questions for reactions. My mom and cousin were concerned about the cats being jealous of baby. I don't think that will happen, if it does then I will deal. I say ignore their silly questions. I think you've got this.
  • Options
    @MMLmeow What is this tinfoil trick? And thanks @maureenmce ! He knows it :P
    It was recommended to us that as soon as we got our crib up to put tin foil on the mattress to scare the cats if/when they jump into it. One of our cats isn't capable of jumping up there, but the other two have shown interest. The foil trains them to anticipate being startled when jumping into the crib. We don't keep the door to the baby's room open all the time as DH is afraid of the cats yucking a hairball on the new carpet, but when we are home we have the door open and we've noticed that they walk around and go under the crib, but haven't jumped into the crib in about a month! Hopefully when baby is in it, the training sticks!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    Science says that children who have pets are better than those whose don't. Or something like that. ;) So just throw science at them.
  • Options
    starree444starree444 member
    edited October 2015
    Vamason89 said:

Science says that children who have pets are better than those whose don't. Or something like that. ;) So just throw science at them.

They have better immune systems. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Meg920Meg920 member
    edited October 2015
    Omg I can't even believe someone would ask that. Thank god no one has said this to me because with these pregnancy hormones I would cry. My dog is my child. growing up with a pet is a great thing for kids! They teach compassion, responsibility and humility. My pug will be with us no matter what and all of your pets should be with your family too. If they are anything like my dog, he already loves his little sister.
  • Options
    No one says anything like that to me because my cat helps with my anxiety. Will she sleep in the baby's stuff? Yes. Will she sleep with the baby and I? Yes? She is a cuddler. She did that with my DD when I would have my DD laying on my chest and my cat would curl up into a ball next to DD by her legs.
  • Options
    I get asked the same thing and it irritates me. I have a 4 almost 5 year old border collie and if anything, he gets more protective over me. Not aggressively but follows me EVERYWHERE, makes sure I'm okay and keeps me warm when I nap in the afternoons when the hubby isn't around. Dogs are a great member of the family and under no circumstances would I ever get rid of him. He's part of the family as much as baby.
  • Options
    RakastajatarRakastajatar member
    edited October 2015
    I have three dogs, two 21 pounders (boston terriers) and 1 80 pounder, a pit mix. 

they are family for life!   Im one of those people who says .. my kids has paws. they depend on me for food and a warm safe place. 

As a first time mom, I see much judgement calls by other parents. you do see the worst in some people. 

PS

Loving all the pet lovers in this thread!!! You guys rock!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Married: Feb. 2014
    TTC #1: March 2014
    Clomid: 1 cycle no IUI lead to a BFP 
  • Options
    I get asked this constantly because my husband and I got a dog from a shelter last year and she has major anxiety (separation anxiety and general anxiety) and she gets very jealous easily and will go into panic mode at random. So when people ask about it at least I understand where it would come from but at the same time it frustrates me because I'm not going to give up on my dog who has been obviously given up on so many times before! We're hoping that she'll just understand that the baby is part of the family and we will take caution, but at that point what else is there to do? People ask us as if our only option is to get rid of her and it's infuriating!
  • Options
    @alisongem my male pit has serious anxiety. The best thing I can tell you is to take it slow and include your pup on as much as you can. Let them check out the nursery (with and without you), let them see and smell the baby clothes, toys, and car seat. Introduce the stroller too! When you do bring baby home, have DH or yourself (if you're feeling up to it) sit on the floor next to the car seat with the baby. Keep treats nearby and let your pup sniff the baby and constantly praise them and hand over treats for behaving and being gentle with baby. Repeat the same with the baby in your lap. It'll all work out!
  • Options
    I actually get this about my cats, someone told me the other day I didn't "need" them anymore now that i am having a baby. My husband responded with " Are you implying we were trying to make up fir not having kids by having cats". She just kind of sputtered and walked away.
  • Options
    I have two German Shepard's and one cat. We are expecting our baby boy come January. We will never get rid of our pets and anyone that says that should not be a pet owner. Our pets are family and they have been loving and loyal members of our family. But of course you should take certain precautions with having baby and pets in one house. I have read plenty of things about cats sleeping on babies... and milo does love to snuggle even though he may not known he is harming the baby. Therefore we are going to put a screen door on the babies room with a latch so the cat (milo) can not get in. As for our dogs we have already been training them to not enter the babies room even when the door is open. And our dogs have been around babies and kids there whole life on purpose so they are use to little ones. They are quick learners! We will be extra cautions with the dogs at first with easy and gentle our littlest Ava loves to lick so we need to make sure she does drowned the baby in kisses. 
    I think with precautions like gates, screen doors, and training pets and babies can live in the same household in complete harmony.  
  • Options
    For anyone worried about dogs getting jealous or stressed or anything with the new baby, I'll share a suggestion I got when I was pregnant with our first two: while you're in the hospital, have someone bring home a blanket the baby was wrapped in for each dog and give it to them with a treat and lots of love. We did this with our dogs and they carried around the blankets everywhere until we got home. They loved on the babies immediately. Who knows how much the blankets helped, but they certainly loved those blankets. I'm sure it would work with a cat too.

I think most animals understand that they need to be gentle with babies as long as expectations are clear from the high ups in the pack and the babies are taught to be gentle and respectful back.
  • Options
    I've gotten this is question too.....I'm getting rid of my dogs. I have two, an 85 lb lab and a 15lb chihuahua. I'm a first time mom, I'm in graduate school, my bf works crazy ridiculous hours and im just too paranoid to have two crazy animals around my baby. And I've gotten an absurd reaction too, like when I tell people why I want to get rid of the dog they're like oh suck it up.

But I guess to each it's own. My lab eats literally everything, esp the walls oh and we rent a small apartment. It's kinda been a long time coming for him but having a baby kinda finalized it!

I'm going to miss them but at the end of the day they just will have to go.
  • Options
    @tyidin1 - I hope you've already started the process of finding them a home (or will do so asap)!  It can take a while with adult dogs.  (And please, please don't just dump them at a shelter.)
  • Options
    @BarrettJ89 thanks for the info! I'll definitely try keeping her involved and let her smell and check out everything!