Baby Names
Options

Middle name help

blansawblansaw member
edited October 2015 in Baby Names
We are going with the name Ember.  We can't figure out a middle name though.  We tried family names, but none of them go very well.  I have suggested one middle name, but I don't think DH likes it much.  So I'm trying to figure out some alternatives to bring to the table.  Thanks for the help.

Re: Middle name help

• Options
    Rose, Faith, Giselle, Celine, Faye, Freya, Josephine, Camille(a), Elise.
  • Options
    I feel it should be more classic or traditional with a non traditional FN
    To balance it

Claire
    Noelle
    Lorraine
    Corrine
    Elaine
    Irene

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sooo. Boy or girl? I'm assuming masculine, but JIC.

Ember James
    Ember Ian
    Ember Roland
    Ember Lawrence
    Ember Phillip
    Ember Darius

Ember Jane
    Ember Fiona
    Ember Helen
    Ember Corinne
    Ember Serena
    Ember Doreen

FWIW, I think Ember is a pretty cheesy given name IRL. I think it would be a much better middle name. I just checked, and for girls it is climbing pretty fast, so I expect it will eventually end up like Raven, super trendy and then slowly fades from usage. Just something to consider.
  • Options
    It's a girl.
  • Options
    Ember is my DD's middle name. My SO wanted to first name it, but I just couldn't do it. But I do think it's pretty which is why I OK'd the middle name spot.

Ember Madeleine
    Ember Caroline/ Carolyn 
    Ember Grace
    Ember Victoria
    Ember Louise
    Ember Natalie
    Ember Susanna
    Ember Catherine
    Ember Michaela 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    bbiutmcph said:
    I feel it should be more classic or traditional with a non traditional FN To balance it Claire Noelle Lorraine Corrine Elaine Irene
    Noelle is the name I suggested, and Corinne is actually DD#1's name.  Nice
  • Options
     FWIW, I think Ember is a pretty cheesy given name IRL. I think it would be a much better middle name. I just checked, and for girls it is climbing pretty fast, so I expect it will eventually end up like Raven, super trendy and then slowly fades from usage. Just something to consider.
    I don't know why it would be cheesy...I guess what matters is DH and I think it's beautiful. DH is a nature enthusiast and he looks at the symbolism behind the word. Fire is a source for life, and the ember is what starts the flame.

As for trends, that is the way I feel about names like Charlotte, Chloe, or Sophia. Yes they are very pretty, but sooo popular right now. Give it another 5 years and something new will come along. It's just like Jennifer and Ashley in the 80's.   
  • Options
    Ember Louisa
    Ember Valentina
    Ember Charlotte
    Ember Sophia
    Ember Manuela
    Ember Violet
    Ember Natalia
    Ember Jolie
    Ember Aurora
    Ember Amaya
    Ember Lucia
    Ember Estelle
    Ember Adele
    Ember Selena
    Ember Alena
    Ember Simone
    Ember Cosette
    Ember Frances
  • Options
    blansaw said:

I don't know why it would be cheesy...I guess what matters is DH and I think it's beautiful. DH is a nature enthusiast and he looks at the symbolism behind the word. Fire is a source for life, and the ember is what starts the flame.

As for trends, that is the way I feel about names like Charlotte, Chloe, or Sophia. Yes they are very pretty, but sooo popular right now. Give it another 5 years and something new will come along. It's just like Jennifer and Ashley in the 80's.   

Well, Cheese Is personal. For me, it's because Ember is a noun that is still in common usage. Part of the reason I mentioned the possibility of it being trendy is that it's gone from rare usage to fairly common usage. It went from being well out of the top 1000 to 435 within 6 years, similar to Ashley, Jennifer and the aforementioned Raven. In comparison, Charlotte and Sophia have been in the top 1000 every year since 1880 when the SSA started recording names, they may be popular, but they have always been around as opposed to a sudden spike of popularity.

But if you love it, own it (which you seem to be doing quite well ) and carry on. It's not a bad name, just not my style.