Baby Names

Team Green ---Can't Decide on Boy name

We are Team Green but are pretty positive on our girl name. We just can't commit to a boy name! I don't like really common names and DH doesn't like names that are super uncommon. Our last name is Nelson, so pretty common but also eliminates a lot of names I like that also end in -son (like Paxson, Greyson, etc). We are also set on Thomas as a middle name, in honor of my FIL who passed away. Any suggestions? So far these are possible contenders:

Canaan Thomas
Cole Thomas
Chase Thomas
Kai Thomas

DD#1 born 3/28/16

Re: Team Green ---Can't Decide on Boy name

• So, I just went to the SSA and browsed through the list 200 and up, since the majority of the names you listed are 100 or lower (Canaan is not in the top 1000, but I would personally avoid it because I think it's a bit rhymey with your last name)

Derek
    Elliot
    Conner
    Cesar
    Andre
    Hector
    Noel
    Cade
    Clark
    Corey
    Keith
    Rory
    Chandler
    Cyrus
    Lawrence
    Curtis
    Casey
    Gary
    Jacoby
    Carl
    Conrad
    Carmelo
    Cedric
    Clyde
    Clay
  • I like Cole and Chase.

Suggestions
    Grant
    Micah
    Reid
    Leo
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh I'm so picky...I don't really like anything on that entire list except maybe Clay. I know Canaan Nelson has a lot of N's I just always go back to that! We both like Jack and Liam but nixed them because they are too popular right now. 

We live in a really small-town, rural country area if that helps. Not saying there are Jim Bob's running around :) but a Hector or Carmelo definitely would stick out. 

DD#1 born 3/28/16

• Toby
    Levi
    Easton
    Brantley
    Russell
    Mason
    Colton
    Rally
    Tanner
    Carter
    Ryder
    Parker
    Jude
    Cooper
    Laken

I also do really like Canaan
  • Toby Levi Easton Brantley Russell Mason Colton Rally Tanner Carter Ryder Parker Jude Cooper Laken I also do really like Canaan
    These are definitely my style!! I love a lot of these, but unfortunately only the highlighted ones are names that aren't already used by close family and friends.  I love Mason but I think Mason Nelson sounds silly :) Ryder is a nice option, I will suggest that one to DH! Tanner is on his list too

DD#1 born 3/28/16

• Canaan kind of screams super religious to me, so I'm not sure if that's what you're going for.
  • I actually love the name Cole Thomas and Chase is nice also but I don't care for the other two. Just say no to Ryder. That name is just meant to be made fun of.
  • Cole for sure
  • I have three brothers and two are named Cole and Chase. So I'm partial to those ones. My youngest brother is Cashe Thomas :-)
  • I think Cole is great. Cole Thomas Nelson sounds nice to me.

I think Ryder is pretty bad, just to throw that out there... its just not a classy name, imo. So many jokes to be made.

What about Reid, Luke, Wesley, Leo, Finn, Levi, Ryan, Eli, Archer, Brody? Just throwing stuff out there...
  • I really like Chase! Cole is great too. Super popular in my area, I had two in my class last year. Plus a Colby and a Colton. I don't hear it though from other areas. I dislike Canaan.
  • Conrad Thomas, Blaise Thomas, Keith Thomas, Jed Thomas, Lars Thomas
  • breezycat said:

I actually love the name Cole Thomas and Chase is nice also but I don't care for the other two. Just say no to Ryder. That name is just meant to be made fun of.

So I didn't even notice at first that Ryder sounds exactly like "Ride Her" haha....my first thought was of actor Ryder Strong from Boy Meets World!

DD#1 born 3/28/16

• xxdove said:

I think Cole is great. Cole Thomas Nelson sounds nice to me.

I think Ryder is pretty bad, just to throw that out there... its just not a classy name, imo. So many jokes to be made.

What about Reid, Luke, Wesley, Leo, Finn, Levi, Ryan, Eli, Archer, Brody? Just throwing stuff out there...

DH's middle name is Reid so that's a possibility! Eli, Levi, Luke, Brody and Colton are favorites of mine, but also names of kids of our close friends.
    I love Cohen but DH isn't a fan as of right now

DD#1 born 3/28/16

• rel1988 said:

xxdove said:

I think Cole is great. Cole Thomas Nelson sounds nice to me.

DH's middle name is Reid so that's a possibility! Eli, Levi, Luke, Brody and Colton are favorites of mine, but also names of kids of our close friends.
    I love Cohen but DH isn't a fan as of right now

I would google why Cohen isn't a good option. It's very controversial and not something to saddle your kid with.

• bbiutmcph I had no idea!! Thanks for sharing that!!

Thoughts on Kent Thomas? FIL's first name was Kenneth but he went by him middle name Tom. I was thinking Kent might be a nice way to incorporate Kenneth also.

DD#1 born 3/28/16

• I like Kent Thomas a lot. Underused and unique but totally recognizable

• My vote is for Kent Thomas as well.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Kent and Cole are great!
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Another vote for Cole Thomas. :)
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Cole Thomas hands down
  • oceanchildoceanchild member
    edited October 2015
    I like Kent, but the ending T kind of disappears into the leading T of Thomas.
    Have to be honest, I don't like any of the names in your poll with [FN] Thomas Nelson. But I do like *all* of them reversed, with Thomas as the FN and the others as a MN
    And esp Thomas Kent Nelson, T Kai, and T Cole. I also like the initials TK and TC

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama!