June 2015 Moms
Options

Dairy/soy restrictions

2»

Re: Dairy/soy restrictions

• Options
    I'm doing food prep today since I go back to work tomorrow and I thought I would share this breakfast recipe:

Egg and potato "muffins"
    3 cups shredded potatoes or frozen hash browns, thawed
    1 small zucchini shredded (optional)
    6 eggs
    1/2-1 cup meat or sausage of choice, cooked and cut into 1/2" pieces

Mix potatoes and zucchini with salt and pepper as desired. Press about 1/2 cup potatoes and zucchini into bottom of 6 muffin tins. Evenly divide meat and place on top of veggies. In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Pour eggs into each tin, shaking the tin to make sure eggs make it to the bottom. Bake at 350 until eggs are set.

Leftovers store well and they're easy to eat one handed. Tip if you're shredding fresh potatoes: soak shredded potatoes in salt water to prevent browning.

I just confirmed oats are no good, so I will be eating a whole lot of eggs in the near future.
  • Options
    Anyone else personally have the WORST gastro issues eating the SO delicious coconut milk ice cream? I love it so much but have to give it up. No dairy but whatever they do to make it yummy wreaks havoc. Le sigh.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sammy K said:

I'm doing food prep today since I go back to work tomorrow and I thought I would share this breakfast recipe:

Egg and potato "muffins"
    3 cups shredded potatoes or frozen hash browns, thawed
    1 small zucchini shredded (optional)
    6 eggs
    1/2-1 cup meat or sausage of choice, cooked and cut into 1/2" pieces

Mix potatoes and zucchini with salt and pepper as desired. Press about 1/2 cup potatoes and zucchini into bottom of 6 muffin tins. Evenly divide meat and place on top of veggies. In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Pour eggs into each tin, shaking the tin to make sure eggs make it to the bottom. Bake at 350 until eggs are set.

Leftovers store well and they're easy to eat one handed. Tip if you're shredding fresh potatoes: soak shredded potatoes in salt water to prevent browning.

I just confirmed oats are no good, so I will be eating a whole lot of eggs in the near future.

Yummy making me hungry lol so what do you normally do to potatoes before cooking in tin?
  • Options
    So, I figured out fairly early on that LO is not good with dairy, so I cut it out and things got better. But then I talked to our pedi about it and he straight up said that there was no scientific proof that infants can have problems with the dairy protein and I'm just over-reacting to the normalcies of my LOs developing difestive system. Well, an accidentally slip up (butter on the popcorn at the movies) sent us into chaos so I think it's time for a new pedi!
  • Options
    @paige0704 I just shred them using a cheese grater and then stick them in a salt water bath.

@upandbelow I searched online and was well aware there was no research supporting food sensitivities, which is why I waited so long to change my diet. I was a little surprised when our pedi was the one to suggest it. But she's a mom, so maybe that makes a difference too? I don't blame you for wanting to find a new one. Being told it's all in your head is insulting.
  • Options
  • Options

So, I figured out fairly early on that LO is not good with dairy, so I cut it out and things got better. But then I talked to our pedi about it and he straight up said that there was no scientific proof that infants can have problems with the dairy protein and I'm just over-reacting to the normalcies of my LOs developing difestive system. Well, an accidentally slip up (butter on the popcorn at the movies) sent us into chaos so I think it's time for a new pedi!

@upandbelow
    My family dr said pretty much the same thing to me. He has very slimy mucusy stools and she keeps saying that newborn stools can be many textures and still be normal. I cut out dairy for a few weeks. Slowy tried introducing it back this week, passed another mucus ball (like pictures above) yesterday, and much fussier.
    I'm praying our LOs grow out of these sensitivities soon.
  • Options
    It's so interesting hearing your stories. My ped was the one who suggested I cut out dairy based on the skin issues LO was having. She had a whole list of things to try. . .first cut out dairy, if that doesn't work try dairy and soy, if that doest work try to eliminate wheat. She made it sound like it was something she had seen all the time.
    I'm kind of obsessed with our ped though. She really is the best. And I'm really lucky it was the dairy that did the trick.

I really wish I wasn't so obsessed with dairy. I know it's not the best for you anyways and there are plenty of better ways to get your calcium. But I'm over here just dreaming of cheese.
  • Options
    P.s. for what it's worth my ped said it is usually the dairy sugars and proteins that babies have a hard time with, but they can usually tolerate fats like butter. That opened a lot of doors for me, because it meant we could eat out at restaurants again since almost everything is cooked in butter
  • Options
    The not being able to eat out is killing me
  • Options
    I'm desperate to try butter. Actually I'm desperate for anything besides the 8 or so foods I know are ok. It's so hard when something causes problems. Sorry for the dear diary, I just miss food.
  • Options
    Sammy K said:

I'm desperate to try butter. Actually I'm desperate for anything besides the 8 or so foods I know are ok. It's so hard when something causes problems. Sorry for the dear diary, I just miss food.

Please, dear diary away. I was GF for 18 months and while it was the best I've ever felt (I suffer from really bad GI/fatigue issues) I felt that my mental health was suffering because I was eating to sustain myself, not enjoying what I was eating. Food is a huge part of my life. I also was becoming 10x as sick when I was accidentally cross-contaminated with gluten than when I was just eating it normally so I went back to the gluten life and my sluggish self returned. But please, post all your food fantasies here if it makes you feel better, I totally get it.

TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 I also love food. It's a huge part of my relationship with DH. We don't do chains or fast food but we will eadily drop $100+ on a nice dinner for the two of us. Now eating feels like a chore. I put him in charge of feeding DS because it's too depressing to cook food I can't eat. I hate this diet, but it's made such a difference. The saying should be "You can't eat your cake and sleep, too." I'm really hoping by Thanksgiving I will be able to eat most foods. Otherwise I might boycott the holidays.

I told DH tonight "The answer is 37." The question: how many zucchini can I eat in 4 weeks before I can no longer stomach them? I'm trying bananas tomorrow.
  • Options
    What skin issues are you referring to ? My guy has horrible rough skin on arms and legs....... And I've had all these weird digestive symptoms that who knows what they are caused from....... Maybe it's related? @hudson202
  • Options
    I thought and urgent care thought they could be from an antibiotic that I was on but could also be major intolerance to dairy ..... As an adult.
  • Options
    @klkonwi she had what looked like heat rash all over her body/ baby acne that never really went away. As soon as I stopped eating dairy it cleared up, and every time I try to "challenge" it, they come back. Luckily my ped told me to try to challenge the dairy every month, so I can at least have pizza once a month :) the ped said the skin issues are actually really helpful, because then you have an external indicator that there is something going on inside.

If you want to try it, ped said I would know by 2 weeks if the dairy was the culprit (she said it's more like 6-8 weeks if the issue is wheat, so she always has people stop dairy first)
  • Options
    This is what is confusing me now... I am dairy and soy free for my LOs silent reflux but now after two weeks she's spitting up at every meal? She never spit up before wth is going on now!!! Any ideas? My poor girl can't catch a break!
  • Options
    paige0704 said:

This is what is confusing me now... I am dairy and soy free for my LOs silent reflux but now after two weeks she's spitting up at every meal? She never spit up before wth is going on now!!! Any ideas? My poor girl can't catch a break!

Are you taking zantac or prilosec? Our doctor warned us that LO was approaching the weight where we'd have to up our dosage. Apparently they dose babies basef on weight. I think she said we may have to up it at 15lbs depending on how she's acting. If symptoms come back we need a new prescription.

Though we were also told the meds don't necessarily stop the spitting up. Their purpose is just to make it less painful.
  • Options
    ^^ yes we are on 1.5 ml twice daily and she weighs around 13 pounds... I just think it's weird now this starts once I changed my diet? Like I wonder if my new diet is affecting her now worse than before... Idk
  • Options
    Okay moms....... Here's my babes poop...... I feel horrible that I've never checked it before. So mucus like.....
    I haven't had dairy in awhile like 4 days (due to upset stomach from antibiotic week and a half ago but..... You guys tell me what to do!
  • Options
    @klkonwi It can take up to 2 weeks to get it out of your/his system, according to my pedi. We saw significant improvement at day 5 and by a week I think we were through the worst. Have you eliminated all trace dairy or just direct?

You mentioned skin problems. Any other problems like fussiness, gas, spitting up?

If LO has other problems, it might be worth trying for a little longer. If he seems pretty happy, I don't know that it's worth it. Dairy is tough to cut out. And it's sooooo good.

So I basically offered no real advice and just asked a bunch of questions. Big help. :) Ha! Let us know what you decide to do.
  • Options
    He doesn't seem that fussy. He's always liked to be held a lot and fights sleep but I consider that normal.....

So I'll just watch it for now.... You'd think as a nurse I would have examined his poop before this. Lol
  • Options
    I was on the bananas rice applesauce toast for 48 hrs +
  • Options
    Could it ever be sinuses draining? Ill def ask my pedi .... But jw if any of you guys have insight
  • Options
    I just started to add back about 1 serving of dairy a day. So far so good!!!!!