October 2015 Moms
Options

Difference between BH and contractions ?

Hey ladies
I am just wondering if you ladies can tell some differences between Braxton Hicks and real contractions?
Thanks in advance

Re: Difference between BH and contractions ?

• Options
    Real contractions are consistent and time-able and eventually get closer together and more intense. Braxton Hicks are a bit more sporadic and eventually go away. Often times I can fall asleep through BH or notice they go away if I change positions. BH feel a bit like bad menstrual cramps (at least for me). Just follow the 5:1:1 rule. Contractions 5 min apart lasting 1 minute a peice for 1 hour time to call the OB. :)
  • Options
    I was just googling this! Lol My whole stomach has been tightening, and sorta takes my breathe away with a hot flash. I think it is BH because they are uncomfortable but not painful. I had back labor with my first, and actually never felt any "normal" contractions. I am ready! so I would love to get this bundle rolling. I am curious about pain with contractions though. Is there a noticeable pinching, or twisting around your hips?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can have real contractions that aren't timetable. It just means you're not in labor. Braxton hicks are a tightening all over your belly and while uncomfortable, generally aren't painful. A contraction is like a bad period cramp that wraps from your back to the lower front of your belly. When you're in labor, they'll become timetable and increasingly more intense/painful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    A true test - BH will go away when u change position, real contractions don't.
  • Options
    @lucky1187 Sorry, I don't mean to turn this thread and hope I don't but... What was the back labor like?? How did you know to go in? I have had horrible pains in my lower back and feel this is how I will be. I have had BH but only know if I really pay attention for them.
  • Options
    Ughhhh just Googled the difference myself before coming here, I've been having strong but painless contractions for 2 hours now. I'm timing them 4.5 min apart anywhere from 30sec-1min long but no pain. I'm convinced it's going to be nothing. One more day until Due date.
  • Options

@lucky1187 Sorry, I don't mean to turn this thread and hope I don't but... What was the back labor like?? How did you know to go in? I have had horrible pains in my lower back and feel this is how I will be. I have had BH but only know if I really pay attention for them.

I also had only back labor for 20 hours before having DS, so I don't know what belly contractions feel like. But, back labor is like someone is stabbing you in the middle to lower back with a sharp object, over and over again... or the worst back cramps of your life. You will know when or if it happens because it comes in timetable waves.
  • Options
    Last night in bed I had these contractions that lasted about a minute but were 20 minutes apart. They were in my lower abdomen, all around, I felt this cramp feeling slowly build, reach a peak and very slowly go away. At the peak I had to take a very deep breath. I felt them when I was lying sideways, but also when I was sitting on the sofa. However, I don't feel them anymore. I thought it could be a sign of early stages of labor. Wasn't planning on calling my doctor, but was hopeful this could be a good sign of progress. EDD is tomorrow so maybe wishful thinking?
    Any idea if those contractions meant anything?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I never thought back labor was a thing before having it. In my case my baby was in posterior position and her head was hitting my spine. The nerves in my spine were killing me, it truly felt like someone was ripping my spine out of my back and twisting my tailbone. I wanted to run away from my back. It sounds horrible because it really was to intense for me. I also need to say I was induced with Pit and I am going for a RCS since there is a high probability I would have it again. Just a side note, no labor for me yet so I must just have BH. :)