May 2016 Moms

Food you used to love but cant stand anymore

I cannot stand the smell of 

Onions
Garlic
Wine (hubby when he drinks it with dinner)
Tomato Soup

this  is a real problem cause im italian so i cook with most of these things (except wine now )

but the smell is revolting, i cant do it... i can smell onions from what feels like 5 miles away 

Re: Food you used to love but cant stand anymore

• Oh no! @asunna that is a rough combination for Italian cooking! I also cook with all of those very often.
    Lately, the food loves I can't stand are coffee and chocolate. I've been getting overwhelmed by cheese too, though it's not yet a full aversion. I'm still eating cheese, though in much smaller quantities and not by itself. I'm also not handling fried goodies like jalapeño poppers well due to the grease.
  • I am also Italian! During my pregnancy with DD I couldn't eat anything that contained tomatoes. I could barely get it swallowed before it was immediately coming back up. It was the strangest thing! Now my poor DD has a horrible tomato sensitivity and is missing out on all of the wonders of Italian cooking. Luckily I have been able to eat tomatoes so far this time with no awful consequences.

I craved onions something fierce when I was pregnant with DD too. I could've eaten an onion like an apple. It was insane!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am also Italian! During my pregnancy with DD I couldn't eat anything that contained tomatoes. I could barely get it swallowed before it was immediately coming back up. It was the strangest thing! Now my poor DD has a horrible tomato sensitivity and is missing out on all of the wonders of Italian cooking. Luckily I have been able to eat tomatoes so far this time with no awful consequences. I craved onions something fierce when I was pregnant with DD too. I could've eaten an onion like an apple. It was insane!
    oh god i feel like i could puke from reading the last line LOL

• @asunna Ha! Sorry! It makes me sick thinking about it now but it seemed completely normal at the time @-)
  • Mexican food wasmy fave I could literally eat quality steak fajitas 24/7 but now I can't even think about it
  • @asunna I feel EXACTLY the same way about onion and garlic. I used to salivate over onion and garlic cooking in butter, one of my favorite ways to cook! Now it makes me gag. It's so depressing. I basically can't cook at all anymore.
  • @kbrands7 I can't touch coffee or chocolate (no sweets at all really, except for fruit) any more either and they were two of my greatest joys. I have a lot of dreams about eating chocolate and cake but in real life it makes me sick. *sigh*

@JessicaB0627 OMG! Tomatoes!! They are dead to me. If I have anything with tomato in it I get sick. So depressing. I miss them. *sigh*

• Just like my last pregnancy, most veggies make me want to puke. Salads? YUCK!! The husband steamed broccoli for dinner and I could only stomach one piece. Raw onion is also revolting! We made something the other day and he put the dirty chopper in the sink. We didn't have a chance to do dishes that night and the smell. Was. Awful!

I also had some enchiladas for the lunch the other day and they were terrible. Ever since even the thought of them makes me want to barf!
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Sushi
    Any seafood actually
    I can't even say the word seafood...

Also, raw meat makes me gag, so cooking in general is tough.

And I now have a strong aversion to the La Croix sparkling waters I craved a month ago.

Zero desire for alcohol.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Sushi

Any seafood actually
    I can't even say the word seafood...

Also, raw meat makes me gag, so cooking in general is tough.

And I now have a strong aversion to the La Croix sparkling waters I craved a month ago.

Zero desire for alcohol.
    So me with the raw meat and the sparkling waters! I use to love those drinks but now it's water with lemon and sprite for me. Idk when it went from refreshing to horse spit
    X_X
    Poor husband was stuck cooking or picking up dinner for the past month because of the raw meat thing. Yesterday I was barely able to get over it and cook something
  • no problem with the meat thing here as i dont eat it 

we dont have meat in the house
  • My beloved Dr. Pepper doesn't taste good any more :( 

This didn't happen with the first two pregnancies...which makes me think it's a boy :) 
  • Chicken! So strange. Hubby and I went out the other night and I ordered it and when it arrived I was repulsed. I've tried it since then and still can't keep it down.

Anyone else have a palette that changes daily?? This seems to be my biggest struggle.
  • Alfredo.

I'm still so depressed because it is my absolute favorite and I was craving it today. I got some take out earlier and fell asleep right after eating it and now I'm so so sick. I had to throw it away because I couldn't stand to look at or smell it. :(
  • Coffee. Just coffee. It's depressing. I miss it so.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • folamiji said:

Chicken! So strange. Hubby and I went out the other night and I ordered it and when it arrived I was repulsed. I've tried it since then and still can't keep it down.

Anyone else have a palette that changes daily?? This seems to be my biggest struggle.

Hubby cooked chicken tonight for dinner. I ate it slowly and covered it in bbq sauce, but the smell in this house is no good. It's raining pretty good otherwise I would open all the windows and doors to get this cooked chicken smell outta here!!

Last pregnancy I came home one evening to him cooking chicken stirfry and started gagging immediately. I just can't.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Coffee, peanut butter, apples, wheat tortillas, Cheddar cheese, texture of onions, anything really sweet or with just a hint of sweet.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• coffee and anything sweet, except fruit. So funny that sweet things seems to be a common yuck during first tri. 
  • I actually realized I was probably pregnant bc of a food aversion. I was having homemade French fries with dinner one night and the ketchup was disgusting! It tasted normal to everyone else but was super bitter to,me. I googled it (as I do with everything else) and low and behold an article about very early pregnancy and women reporting their food tasting bitter popped up! Tied that together with the super sore boobs and cramping and what did I have? A baby! Lol.

Along with that I'm also really sensitive to anything with high amounts of sugar (like koolaid).

Luckily I haven't noticed much else and I haven't suffered from morning sickness yet either. I'm 6 weeks today so I've got my fingers crossed it will stay that way.
  • @kbrands7 I can't touch coffee or chocolate (no sweets at all really, except for fruit) any more either and they were two of my greatest joys. I have a lot of dreams about eating chocolate and cake but in real life it makes me sick. *sigh*

@JessicaB0627 OMG! Tomatoes!! They are dead to me. If I have anything with tomato in it I get sick. So depressing. I miss them. *sigh*

If it makes you feel any better I think I could eat tomatoes again sometime in 3rd tri. It really does suck!
  • I got really sick after eating a big piece of chocolate cake, which I usually love, so no more chocolate cake for me. Most meat sounds bad right now. I am not even trying to cook.
  • wow i cant get enough of sweet things...chocolate ...ice cream...popsicles apprently im a freak of nature o.O 
  • Beef. I am so sad. I used to eat beef at least 5 times a week. I'm at a loss about what to cook. I'm thinking of making a beef stew to see if I can 'hide' the beef. Guacamole (which I used to have with beef) now disgusts me as well. The texture is wrong. I'm fine with avocdo though, so can slice up avocado as a substitute. Strangely enough, salmon has become palatable to me (but only cold) whereas I used to force it down resentfully for the health benefits. 
  • laurenmdrn16laurenmdrn16 member
    edited September 2015
    All of the foods.

Seriously, I ate nothing yesterday. Absolutely nothing appealed to me. My son wanted hummus, veggies, and chicken nuggets for dinner and you would have thought he asked me to cook roadkill. I was just gagging the whole time. I attempted some coffee ice cream and that just came right back up. I think I will miss you the most of all, coffee ice cream. :(

PS - @kbrands7 I literally LOL'd at the "overwhelmed by cheese". I know you meant the smell, but for some reason I pictured you looking at cheese and just being unable to handle the idea like "I just can't!" And, in my low blood sugar, woozy state of pregnancy brain, it made me giggle, so thank you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's not something I love, per se, but I am having a REALLY hard time eating leftovers. They just gross me out. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Copernicus08Copernicus08 member
    edited September 2015
    Coffee and white rice. The rice surprises me because it was my go-to comfort food and what I'd eat when my tummy wasn't feeling well. Now it makes me gag just thinking about it.

As for the coffee, I still make myself a cup morning out of habit, but more often than not end up dumping it out.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• OMG @copernicus08 I know it is an aversion, but when you wrote the words "white rice" I immediately NEEDED it. This might finally break my body's hunger strike! Thank you!

Of course, I think it will be weird when I order plain white rice from the local chinese take out for lunch, but whatever.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm having a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with sweets. At times I crave something chocolate or sour but I rarely keep sweets in the house. By the time the craving hits hard enough for me to actually think about going out to get something, I imagine eating the food I just craved and it seems repulsive.

Last night I went through the Halloween section at Target to see if they had any good movies. I walked by about 200 lbs of milk chocolate candy and the smell was so sickening I had to run away from that area in fear I might vomit.

Definitely a new experience for me.
  • Meat is making me gag which is weird because I normally love it. Just the smell and the texture make me want to die!
  • @laurenmdrn16 Glad I could help! You can have all the white rice :-) 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Pretty much all of it :(

Me 31 DH 41

TTC #1 since August 2014
    RE August 2015
    Surprise BFP! September 1, 2015
    IT'S A GIRL!!!
    Baby Eden born 5/11/16 <3<3<3

• Ugh. I feel like it's all the things. Mostly I'm huge on texture now so that plays into it a lot. The oatmeal I used to eat everyday is now out... If I try to eat it just to get something down I gag on every bite. Applesauce or yogurt is my new go to. There aren't many things I do like these days and I feel like DH is getting tired of soup and spaghetti.
  • Everything.  Even things that I was okay with a few weeks ago (LaCroix, ginger ale, crackers), the thought of them makes me nauseous.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • i really miss pizza. @#$%&amp;* tomatoes!
  • Chocolate.  I still love it actually, but it gives me nausea and indigestion. :(
    Anniversary

• I gagged when I walked past Starbucks and Cookie company at the mall yesterday. It was sad times. I tried to eat a salad with dinner and I couldn't. I couldn't even swallow it. Nothing. Ever sounds good, I just force myself to eat things to make the nausea go away
  • EGGS! I cannot stand eggs and I used to eat them all the time. YUCK.
  • I can't do coffee in the morning. I started doing half caf or decaf when I wake up and the smell of it makes me want to puke. It's weird though, I work nights and I allow myself 1 caffeinated Kcup and it doesn't seem to bother me! Maybe my taste buds can tell the difference??? Also pumpkin spiced anything.. Probably because I put it in my coffee when it was already making me gag. This makes me super sad because I love pumpkin spiced things this time of year!
    Also any fried foods I can't do, yesterday I was my parents/siblings and we ate out. I felt like I was going to puke it all back up right away. It was defiantly hard to keep my pregnancy a secret then!
  • Meat, fish and chicken.. These makes me so sick and of course anything with a strong smell too.. I guess I've become vegetarian