Adoption

Hello...New Here : )

Hi all, 

I just brought home our 3rd child a few days ago. I have 2 biological children: a daughter (5) and a son (2) and now a new daughter (10 mo). Her adoption won't be finalized for probably 6-8 more months (if I am lucky) but after 9 months of working to bring her home I feel we are very close to permanency! Just wanted to introduce myself as I may be asking questions and getting involved on this board. 

Anyone else adopting/have adopted through foster care? 

Re: Hello...New Here : )

• We're adopting through foster care but haven't finalized.
  • We are considering adoption. Did you foster-to-adopt? Or just go in wanting to adopt. We are not sure if it is possible, but we want to adopt a child from the system but do not want to foster first. I have looked at the children in waiting in our state and there are a handful that have stolen my heart so I know this is right. We are not wanting to foster first, is that possible? Does it make you a undesirable candidate? We are having infertility issues. We had planned to have one then adopt one. So our time line is changing, but that is ok. I just know I cannot emotionally handle letting a child go back after dealing with infertility. Maybe later down the road once we have settled into being a family, but not now.

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi Amanda, I'm new here too. We adopted from foster care in 2013. :-) It's a strenuous road, but worthwhile.
    TTC 7+ years - 3 failed IUI's; not going the IVF route; stopped treatment December 2013.

Became licensed for Foster Care: March 2011
    Adoption Finalized: December 2013

LISTEN TO THE MUSN'TS CHILD, LISTEN TO THE DON'TS.
    LISTEN TO THE SHOULDN'TS, THE IMPOSSIBLES, THE WONT'S.
    LISTEN TO THE NEVER HAVES, THEN LISTEN CLOSE TO ME.
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN, CHILD, ANYTHING CAN BE.
    -Shel Silverstein

• Two mommies- I started out only wanting to foster. Oops! Fell in love. :)

Some states have a foster to adopt program where you have lower risk of the child leaving. If you start actually fostering but say no to placements that don't seem adoptable they'd look down on you.

The kids on photo listings are usually very troubled. But if you can be a one child home it might be the best therapeutic environment for the child. :)