Baby Names
Options

Need help baby boy name. Husband wants something unique

My husband does not like ordinary names. He just wants something different. I'm fine with that but i don't want something too weird. I like names that sound strong.

We are bouncing around the idea of
Talan
Knox
Meric (short for America husband is in the military)

And boy name suggestions help!!

Re: Need help baby boy name. Husband wants something unique

• Options
    Knox is the least worst of these. But I'll always associate it with Angelina Jolie.
    Don't use Meric. Please. SO is military, as well and we are very patriotic. By that doesn't mean it's ok to stick our child with something like Meric. Naming him after a founding father is likely a much safer bet and the name will pass the resume test.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am not a fan of any of those they all seem like you are trying too hard. Knox has been used by celebrities so is on the rise in popularity now, it is ranked in the 200s and climbing. Talan is a bird claw, I just don't see the appeal as a baby name. And Meric it terrible in my opinion, I have seen the name spelled Merrick, which is a bit better but I am still not a fan.

There are plenty of great names not ranked in 1000, but are actual, recognizable boy names, why not choose something like that?

Anders
    Duncan
    Gareth
    Gilbert
    Hugh
    Lewis
    Oscar
    Russell
    Vincent
  • Options
    Really not a fan of any of them, especially Meric, which is not a real name. What about Grant? That's patriotic.
  • Options
    Marek (spelled this way) is the polish version of mark. My moms driving instructor back in the day had this name and he explained that to her.
    HOWEVER, I do think your husband's reasoning for wanting to name your child meric is a little crazy. There are plenty of other ways to honour someone's country (I am from Canada and I will admit I don't know much about the founding fathers of America so I can't offer many suggestions).
    And the other two are just trying too hard to be honest. I'm not a fan of really unique names but I do think there are some good suggestions from PPs.
  • Options
    Lincoln is a great suggestion. It's a bit different but still a strong name and is also patriotic. Grant is another great option.
  • Options
    Yeah... those are all pretty bad, and Meric actually seems disrespectful. I agree with others.

Not too popular, patriotic names:
    George
    Theodore
    Franklin
    Abraham
    Francis
  • Options
    i really dont like your list, the names sound made up and made up type names dont seem to age well. i would like to suggest:
    Conrad
    Blaise
    Pius
    Odin
    Keller
    Edison
    Dashiel
    Wallace
    Maximus
    Harrison
    Douglas
    Bruce
  • Options
    Maybe pull up a list of American generals and look at those names - patriotic without being made up. Plus there's a pretty wide range of popularity (John or Jacob to Ulysses or Barksdale... Ok please don't use Barksdale ;) )

I'm a fan of Douglas (for MacArthur). It's my Dad's name and I haven't ever heard it IRL on anyone younger than me (25) and even then I've met 2 ever.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of any of those.  I'd probably use someone that was a prominent historical figure.

George
    Theodore
    Ellis
    Franklin
    Grant
    Jefferson
    Lincoln
    Quincy
    Samuel
    Harrison
    Pierce

• Options
    If you want to honor America, I would name him America (preferably as a mn though). Playing with the name of your country doesn't seem honoring to me in the least. America is a real name even if it's not usually used on humans. :) It sounds feminine to me, but it's still a more respectful and legitimate option than Meric. There are plenty of other patriotic names though as others have suggested.

If you like Talan, maybe consider Callan? Similar sound, real name, doesn't remind people of a bird's claw. The meaning also seems appropriate since your husband is in the military.

It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mrstrax my dads name is Douglas. Only Douglas I know.
  • Options
    If you use Meric spell it Maric because then people would be more likely to think if a popular video game and not a slurred word.
    I know a few Talons, its up and coming in other countries.
    Another good one people forget about is Keegan. It is also popular in other countries.
  • Options
    FYI, Merrick is a dog food company here in the U.S. Albeit a holistic, nutritious option for your loved fur balls, it is something to consider. I wouldn't want to name my future adult child after kibble.
  • Options
    Merrick is a real name. English. Search the meaning at baby name wizard.
  • Options
    I understand wanting to have an uncommon name. We chose a name that is not very common for our son. Its a fine line to walk, choosing something that you hope will be interesting and yet still be able to not be obnoxious and potentially ruin your kids name. Some people use the 'President test', I don't even aspire that far. I use the Doctor test. Would I feel comfortable seeing a Dr. Whatever Name? Or getting a business card for a lawyer with Whatever Name?

Of your names, Knox is the only one I feel that can pass that test. But, ugh, so trendy.

Talan... Just spell it Talon so at least it's spelled properly, but I still would not see your son for a cold or hire him to defend me.

Meric. Really not a fan. PPs have valid points in it reminds me of 'Murica! And Merrick the dog food. Also, if I heard it pronounced and didn't see it spelled, I would assume it was spelled like Merrick the dog food. Which brings up another thing I tried to stick to when searching uncommon names - when you hear it spoken, you should be able to know how it is spelled, and when you see it written, you should be able to know how to pronounce it.

Thank your husband for his service (my hubs is also active duty), and thank you for being the support system for him. For patriotic names I would suggest (some of them PP have mentioned) - George, Thomas, Samuel, Jefferson (I know some frown upon last names as first names, but I think it works sometimes), James, pretty much any former presidents name.

For uncommon names I liked Rowan, August, Ronan or Ronin, Cieran / Kieran, I had a list, sorry I've let it go since my LO was born and don't remember a bunch of them.

Best wishes for your baby, happy naming!
  • Options
    Baby'smom said:

Merrick is an English surname
  • Options
    jeanbug12 said:
    Merrick is an English surname
    Most people on the board use Behindthename.com to verify legitimacy of first names. For the record, it lists it's usage as English (Rare) ((which is better than (Modern) )), and that it is derived from a surname. There are better options to be had.
  • Options
    start over
  • Options
    Sorry, not a huge fan of any of them, and look, I consider myself pretty patriotic, but I don't have to name my son Americano to prove it.  Maybe think of names of famous US leaders, inventors, scientists, etc.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options
    Not liking any of them. I agree with the patriotic suggestions, i.e. Lincoln, Grant, etc. I've also known two boys named Justice. Not necessarily my style but at least it's a real word and has a good meaning.

• Options
    I like Meric, but maybe you could use the traditional spelling of Merrick ? Also love Knox. Not a fan of Talan
  • Options
    I like Knox... You can also come up with something meaningful and mn it. Something associated with his rank, the military base he was stationed at, or a special person he lost and/or looked up to. I used William as a sample first name (it's my #1)

William Sargent
    William Greely, Knox, Detrix
    William Jones (made up last name)
    William Semper

I don't have anyone close to me that is military so these are just suggestions of how to make his name meaningful to you and your husband. I hope this post made sense!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I think the PPs that are suggesting Lincoln, Theodore etc are right on the mark. Lincoln would still be a "different" first name but would better suit what you want. Does your DH have any superiors from the military that he would like to honor with a name?
  • Options
    I lile Knox.

I think a patriotic name is a nice idea, but I suggest going a bit less obvious with it. For example, a name that means "brave" (Everett, Thorin, Wyatt) or "hero" (Conlan, Finley, Heron, Sweeney, Vero).

Abraham
    Alias
    Arlowe
    Atlas
    Bravery
    Cannon
    Carter
    Cruz
    Ellis
    Emerson
    Fitch
    Freedom
    Grant
    Hayes
    Honor
    Jefferson
    Justice
    Madison
    Merritt
    Nash
    Patriot
    Pierce
    Reagan
    Rebel
    Theo
    Quincy
    Wilder
  • Options
    Names meaning "soldier": Armand, Armando, Armin, Herman, Milo, Troy.
  • Options
    I would start a new list. I'm Canadian so won't be much help, but if you want something patriotic, I would find a strong leader (whether it's a military leader, scientist, etc.) and go with that name. Just after doing a quick google search I have found: Dwight (Eisenhower), Neil (Armstrong), Abraham (Lincoln), Frederick (there are a few famous ones), Ansel (Adams), Walt (again, a few famous ones). And then there are a ton of more common names that would work.

Meric makes me think of 'murica or Merrick dog food (which isn't even that great of food anymore since they sold out to Purina).