BumpHQ
Options

Questions only a physician can answer

VexedMommyVexedMommy member
edited September 2015 in BumpHQ
@Bumpadmin

I am genuinely curious because this is becoming an issue on this board.  How is the community expected to react when a woman asks a question that should very obviously be asked of her doctor and not a forum of random untrained women she has found online?  What is the correct welcoming tone to use when a mother has chosen to put her and her child's life at risk by not reaching out for medical help during a medical event?

ETA:  This was actually written before I noticed the other post about when to call your doctor was closed and not in response to that.  It is a genuine question though.   
If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

Re: Questions only a physician can answer

• Options
    urby87 said:

I feel that this is a very valid question and hope to see an official answer.

Same here. I think it would really benefit this community for us to have more of an understanding of what's expected from us in situations like the recently closed threads.
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree are we just to ignore these posts or how are we "allowed" to respond.
  • Options
    I am also wondering. Thanks for posting. Hope we hear an answer.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just going to make a guess here, but I think most of these questions are always followed up by a call to the doctor. Pretty much every answer is "I'd call to be sure, I wish you well!" so I think we are all responding well. I've posted these questions before and I was mainly freaking out and needed to assess the situation by talking it out loud (in text...) to make my own rational decision. It's a sounding board, a friend to call when you know darn well what to do but need support. I think we view the questions as a reach out for support and we give it to them. I don't think these mothers are sitting there hemmoraging or lying on the floor with contractions while waiting for a response on what to do here, at least from the questions I've seen posted, so I don't see much of a risk if she chooses to post before making a decision.
  • Options
    I don't get why people don't just ignore it? Why get your panties in a bunch? Who cares?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @kittyberet I did try to emphasize that my statement was a guess and generalized - I do realize that's not always the case, but it is with anything that we can control. I believe those women who waited would have done it with or without Internet access so it's a moot point. We could handle it all properly according to some ultimate ruling somewhere but we can't make them go or call the cops on them, but we can be supportive and understanding to the women are are willing to listen.

Edited for addition - again, I assume they would do it with or without us here because every single response says call the doc, I've yet to see one that says "grab some ice cream and relax, just ignore it." Clearly we aren't getting through to those select few.
  • Options
    I think by the loud, resounding response to vrossolille, the question was answered. "What do we do?" "Tell them to go to the doctor." Outside of that, I concur with @vrossolille, I'm not getting anything else in a twist, my newly enlarged butt gets enough wedgies these days.
  • Options
    I don't get why people don't just ignore it? Why get your panties in a bunch? Who cares?
    I care because an innocent unborn babies life is involved. These babies don't ask to be born into a world where mothers don't have the sense to seek professional help before asking internet strangers.
    YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
    YCSWU 

• Options

Because some people aren't jerks who are okay with poor or incorrect advice being given...
  • Options
    Thank you all for reaching out about this. 

@Mamavbs was correct in quoting the following from our Guidelines: "While The Bump Community is a great place to give and receive support, only your medical professionals can confirm a pregnancy or diagnose issues." 

Posts in which members ask medically-based questions are not against our TOU. Members are certainly allowed to ask these questions, while keeping in mind that guidance received here is not meant to take the place of your medical professionals.

I am moving this thread to the Bump HQ board, as this discussion is helpful for new members entering The Bump Community to see.