August 2015 Moms
Options

MIL pushing me to pump

really frustrated with my MIL pushing me to pump so that she can start babysitting. I understand that it's really exciting to have a grandchild but don't laugh at me when I tell you that current recommendations say that if you can, not to start pumping until 4 weeks.. She made a sarcastic comment saying something like "oh no how did we all do it back in the day when we had to go back to work!? How are you not all dead?!" Plus even when I do have a stash of milk pumped I don't want to tell her as I don't want her thinking it means there's nothing stopping her from taking the baby.. Anyone else having this issue? How did you deal?

Re: MIL pushing me to pump

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't want MIL to know that I'm pumping for the same reason. My mom is babysitting next month so I can go to a friends housewarming party. I didn't like the thought of MIL babysitting before but the other day she told DH that she's having some health issues that they can't solve (involving a migrane for 6weeks non stop) and she needs to make changes to her insurance policies and will so now its out of the question. If there is something wrong that's that bad, no way is it safe to leave an infant with her.
  • Options
    JNOVA2015 said:

..."you know we are getting breastfeeding established, and I'm not giving him a bottle until 3-4 weeks. You decided you wanted to visit in his first 2 weeks to help, and since I'm focused on bonding and breastfeeding the help I need is laundry, cooking, and cleaning."

We had this conversation about 5 times in the two weeks she and my dad were here - it was annoying! Not to mention if I HAD wanted to give him a bottle I would have had DH do it so they could bond...

Gosh can I relate! I've gotten so tired of explaining to everyone, including DH, that no, I can't leave LO for DH or family to watch because we're EBF and not pumping yet due to oversupply issues. It's like they can't comprehend this. Plus, it's not giving me any breaks by family saying they'll watch baby so I can go grocery shopping or run errands. Those are the last things I want to do! I need to be at home BFing and bonding with my baby, not out running errands or cleaning. Argh!
  • Options
    I think I'm trying too hard to be nice and not step on anyone's toes. You ladies are totally right, when we want a babysitter we will ask. I completely agree, the help we need right now is someone to cook us a meal and drop it off, offer to change a diaper or tidy up, grab us groceries, etc.! Not hold the baby.
  • Options
    Bleh, we've been trying to get someone to babysit for a week now so I can go out for dinner or something but everyone declined. I'm going stir crazy here but we don't want to risk taking her out before she has had her vaccinations
  • Options
    Thank God my MIL is 3 hours away! When she came to visit she thought I would have a bottle for her to give DS. No! There is no reason to give him a bottle when he can get it fresh! Good luck with your current situation!
  • Options
    I have a similar situation and completely understand ur fustrations. My excuse was that baby didn't like the bottle teat and kept spitting it out until I'm more comfortable with having her away from me. My baby girl is only 3 wks old and I'm not ready for someone else to babysit or do anything for her as a matter of fact except my hubby of course. I have bad anxiety issues lol. [-X