C-sections
Options

C-section when sick?

My 3rd c-section is scheduled on Monday. Both of my kids (6 and 3 y/o) have been complaining of stomach aches, coughing, sneezing, etc. There is bronchitis, stomach flu and a cold going around my sons preschool. I usually end up getting everything they have.

My question is, will my OB still do the c-section if I'm sick? What if I have a fever? I am assuming I will be ok as long as I don't have a fever. Does anyone know or have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: C-section when sick?

• Options
    I think the question more will be do you want to have the csection if you are sick? I was just talking to DH about this because I am scheduled next wednesday and he just came down with a sore throat and cough. I told him if he gets me sick, I will ask my ob to reschedule. I can't imagine going through the recovery and being sick on top of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a sinus infection when I delivered DS2.  I didn't have a fever but honestly they wouldn't have had a choice!  I went into labor before my scheduled c/s so there's not much they can do.  I didn't even get to finish my antibiotics since I went into labor early but they said it didn't matter.  The antibiotics I was given standard after delivery cleared up my infection which I assume would be the same case if you had a fever?
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes I did have one sick.  They do it as long as your lungs seem clear.  think about it...some people go into labor and have emergency csections even though they may have a cold.  I think that they don't do it if you have a fever. 

Its kind of crappy but I was fine.  I would call your dr. though and let them know. 

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options

I was sick and had a fever when I went into labor which ended in an unplanned c/s.  I suppose there wasn't really any other option since it wasn't planned.  During labor they hooked me up to an IV and gave me antibiotics.  They also drew blood and tested for something, not sure what.  They needed to determine if the baby would need to be given antibiotics after birth, which he didn't.  

If it's a planned c/s maybe they would reschedule if you have a fever but probably not for just a regular cold.

Kodiak Jackson ~ 3.01.09
    Aspen Marley ~ 12.22.11
    My Blog of Randomness - Pocketful of Roses
  • Options
    I don't know about scheduled c/s, but I had a fever when I had my c/s.
  • Options
    I had an upper respiratory infection when I had my C/S. I caught it the week before I was scheduled, so my OB knew and had me load up on Vitamin C, Zinc and cough meds. My coughing and runny nose seemed to stop once I got my spinal, but 2 days later, holy cow! I had a coughing fit while sitting on the toilet. A few hours later, the runny nose and post nasal drip came back. It hurt so bad to cough and blow my nose while trying to splint my incision.Thank goodness it last a few more days then was gone again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"