Baby Names

Eliza: formal name or nickname?

kayway85kayway85 member
edited September 2015 in Baby Names
Please help me settle this debate with my husband. Would you consider Eliza an acceptable nickname for Elizabeth ?

Eliza: formal name or nickname? 99 votes

No, Eliza is a formal name and I like it that way
37% 37 votes
No, Eliza is a formal name and I don't like it
4% 4 votes
Yes, Eliza is an acceptable nickname for Elizabeth and I like it
45% 45 votes
Yes, Eliza is an acceptable nickname for Elizabeth and I don't like it.
10% 10 votes
Special snowflake answer
3% 3 votes

Re: Eliza: formal name or nickname?

• I really think it could be either. Makes me think of My Fair Lady, which is a good thing to me.  :)

• I like it as a standalone name but I have heard it as a nn for Elizabeth and wouldn't side eye it

• Loading the player...
  • Eliza can be both a stand alone name or a nickname for Elizabeth, and I like it.

If you REALLY want her called Eliza that's what I would name her. Otherwise she could end up with other NNs like Liz or Beth.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Call me old-fashioned, but to me, Eliza IS a nickname for Elizabeth. I much prefer to see it as a nickname than all on its own!
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD #1 is Eliza :-) Love it on its own!
  • I think you can get away with using it as a nn, but I'd keep it a stand alone name. There are so many Elizabeths. Eliza is much more unique and unexpected.
  • I have never heard anyone use Eliza for Elizabeth even though it could totally work. One of my best friends is Elyza (pronounced just like Eliza) and that's her full first name. Any Eliza I have met, that is there name. But could totally work as a stand alone or nn, I voted for stand alone name. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Following because Eliza is one of our front runners if we have another girl! I'm torn as to whether I'd make the FN Eliza or Elizabeth. Elizabeth is a family name and so classic and beautiful, but I love and would call her Eliza.

• breezypip said:

Eliza can be both a stand alone name or a nickname for Elizabeth, and I like it.

If you REALLY want her called Eliza that's what I would name her. Otherwise she could end up with other NNs like Liz or Beth.

Yup. This.
    Anniversary 
  • I have only ever met Elizas where that is their given name. However, if you also like the name Elizabeth, I don't see why Eliza couldn't be her NN. I think both are nice names, but I personally prefer Elizabeth with Eliza as a NN.
  • Thanks for your input, everyone. I've never met an Eliza so I really have no idea. I love it as a formal name but my husband prefers it as a nickname. it looks like we both be right.
  • It is an acceptable nn for Elizabeth and I like it. 

I mean technically, yeah ok. Eliza is a name in its own right. But then again, so are Lily, Betsy, Betty, Libby and Ella - all nns of Elizabeth. 

I am somewhat of a scholar on the name Elizabeth. It's a family name and lots of us share it :) I am an Ella. I have an aunt Betty and an aunt Lily to name just two.
  • Eliza is my formal name, and I always hated it when someone thought it was short for Elizabeth growing up!
    BabyGaga