Options

In-laws REFUSE to get flu shot!

2»

Re: In-laws REFUSE to get flu shot!

• Options
    RN0107RN0107 member
    edited September 2015
    Achae said:

I can't get the flu vaccine due to allergies to the actual vaccine. With that said, I have only had the flu when I was previously pregnant.
    Common sense like good hand washing and not being around people who are sick is all I do. It's not hard to prevent.

I'm surprised your job still lets you work around kids. For the hospitals my sister has worked for they require the flu vaccine or you're fired.
    Where I work if you can't get the flu shot for whatever reason you have to wear a mask at all times during flu season.
    Working in healthcare would make it hard to stay away from sick people...

Edit for words

MMC Aug 2010
    DS1 Jan 2012
    DS2 July 2013
    DS3 February 2016

• Options
    Wow, that is tough. I would also be upset and would probably be more upset that they wouldn't be more willing to protect their grandchild. If it were me I would let my husband handle it until they agreed and if they continue to refuse, then I wouldn't move in with them. You are doing them a favor due to their financial troubles if they can't do you a favor for your baby then you may not want to risk your child by helping them out. 

On another note, I completely agree with you on not letting people who don't have the flu shot live with your child. I personally also wouldn't let people who haven't been or who haven't have their children vaccinated (obviously only if they are old enough) near my child. Babies are susceptible to many infections and rely on herd immunity as mentioned previously.

Good luck and I hope for your peace of mind they comply!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    RN0107 said:

Achae said:

I can't get the flu vaccine due to allergies to the actual vaccine. With that said, I have only had the flu when I was previously pregnant.
    Common sense like good hand washing and not being around people who are sick is all I do. It's not hard to prevent.

I'm surprised your job still lets you work around kids. For the hospitals my sister has worked for they require the flu vaccine or you're fired.
    Where I work if you can't get the flu shot for whatever reason you have to wear a mask at all times during flu season.
    Working in healthcare would make it hard to stay away from sick people...

Edit for words
    Ditto this. Hospitals here strongly strongly advise employees to get them. Otherwise you have to wear a mask.

• Options
    Achae said:

If I have to wear a mask or whatever then I will. I have had allergy testing and doctors give my work verification so everyone knows why I can't get the flu shot. It would kill me. I will do whatever is needed to ensure my patients well beinh so whatever I need to do is what will be done. I wanted to be a nurse and that's just part of the job for me.
  • Options
    ohbaby714 said:

I disagree. While hand washing and not being around people who are sick helps, not everyone who is "sick" may be showing symptoms right away. DD had the flu in February this year and we hardly ever left the house the couple weeks before she got sick because it was so cold and crappy out. We literally went to the grocery store one time and I wiped down the entire cart and washed both our hands before we left the store. If it was that easy to prevent she wouldn't have gotten the flu.
    And I disagree. I said common sense. Also it spreads by more than just cross contamination.
  • Options

ohbaby714 said:

I disagree. While hand washing and not being around people who are sick helps, not everyone who is "sick" may be showing symptoms right away. DD had the flu in February this year and we hardly ever left the house the couple weeks before she got sick because it was so cold and crappy out. We literally went to the grocery store one time and I wiped down the entire cart and washed both our hands before we left the store. If it was that easy to prevent she wouldn't have gotten the flu.
    And I disagree. I said common sense. Also it spreads by more than just cross contamination.
    So you think common sense is the only way to prevent the flu? Okay.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I can't get the flu vaccine due to allergies to the actual vaccine. With that said, I have only had the flu when I was previously pregnant. Common sense like good hand washing and not being around people who are sick is all I do. It's not hard to prevent.
    If I have to wear a mask or whatever then I will. I have had allergy testing and doctors give my work verification so everyone knows why I can't get the flu shot. It would kill me. I will do whatever is needed to ensure my patients well beinh so whatever I need to do is what will be done. I wanted to be a nurse and that's just part of the job for me.
    wait, so your hospital or practice does not require you to wear a mask around sick children even though you can't get the vaccine?  Is this a normal practice among health care providers? I just assumed that all hospitals and all doctors' office would require either the vaccine or at least a mask! 
    Do I now need to worry about whether or not the hospital I am delivering at requires their nurses to be vaccinated or at least take precautions other than just "use common sense"? I know flu vaccine doesn't guarantee no flu, but I hate the idea of delivery nurses and pediatric nurses handling my newborn without any additional precautions other than "common sense"?!?

Probably not something you have to worry about but you could ask your dr and hospital if they mandate it. Pretty sure she's just the one off case since she has a medical reasoning for not having the flu shot (probably ADA protected).  I should say though that overall I'm not a big worrier so maybe other people will agree that this is terrifying and something to worry about.

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    I've got the flu shot question on my list to ask my doctor Friday. If she recommends it, I'll get one. I've already informed my SO that he and his mother who will be our caregiver will be expected to get a Tdap and possibly flu as well. I'm really hoping his mother complies because she smokes and that alone makes me nervous, but I don't think I have the right to ask her to stop smoking since she only smokes outside.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

I've got the flu shot question on my list to ask my doctor Friday. If she recommends it, I'll get one. I've already informed my SO that he and his mother who will be our caregiver will be expected to get a Tdap and possibly flu as well. I'm really hoping his mother complies because she smokes and that alone makes me nervous, but I don't think I have the right to ask her to stop smoking since she only smokes outside.

I asked my doc last week. And she said she strongly prefers it, if only for the fact that our immune systems are weakened greatly. And something that hurts me could potentially kill the baby. I've never gotten it before and been fine, but am strongly considering it just because of those facts. I typically have a strong immunity to sickness, but that's not a reason for me to immediately say no to it.
  • Options
    @mcklough I am not worried about someone who is medically unable to have vaccines, or having staff/ doctors who cannot be vaccinated due to medical reasons. I am however worried about hospitals and other medical practices not taking any precaution / or having a policy in place that would minimize risks of spreading germs and virus to ill patients or newborns, other than telling their staff to "use common sense."

I might not have been clear, sorry about that. I just meant that it's probably pretty rare to come across a person in the medical field or the childcare field that isn't vaccinated because for the most part it's mandated and that her story is probably a 1 off. Since it's not a common thing for someone not to be It's not really something on my personal radar to worry about but that's why you could always ask your drs and hospitals what their policies are if it is something on your mind.

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    Miss LilacMiss Lilac member
    edited September 2015
    I posted an article further up in this thread where the nurses in Ontario won a case against the hospitals to not have to wear masks if they decline the vaccine. It's been proven to not have an effect on the spread of the flu, but rather, is used as a way to demonize people who opt out.

ETA: keeping your baby away from anyone who isn't completely vaccinated is just not practical. There are adults wandering around everywhere probably due for boosters of many things and your kid is going to come into contact with them unless you keep them in a bubble. As one of the ones who cannot be vaccinated, for medical reasons, I would never try to force another person to be vaccinated against their will. All I can do is be accountable for myself and focus on keeping my body as healthy as possible.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Options

I posted an article further up in this thread where the nurses in Ontario won a case against the hospitals to not have to wear masks if they decline the vaccine. It's been proven to not have an effect on the spread of the flu, but rather, is used as a way to demonize people who opt out.

I think it depends on how the hospital words it. At ours, it's not a "you're bad so you have to wear this". They strongly encourage that people get it, but come from a stance of "we know this is a personal decision and respect all backgrounds and healthcare choices", but in order to protect our patients, those that opt out are required to wear a mask for direct patient care (within 5 feet of a pt, I think). I don't think that's shaming or demonizing. If I didn't/couldn't get the vaccine, I'd have no problem wearing one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    VitaLuna said:

I think it depends on how the hospital words it. At ours, it's not a "you're bad so you have to wear this". They strongly encourage that people get it, but come from a stance of "we know this is a personal decision and respect all backgrounds and healthcare choices", but in order to protect our patients, those that opt out are required to wear a mask for direct patient care (within 5 feet of a pt, I think). I don't think that's shaming or demonizing. If I didn't/couldn't get the vaccine, I'd have no problem wearing one.
    I'm not saying it necessarily is either. But that's what the courts ruled in Ontario and now they can't make the masks mandatory for that reason at all.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Options
    I have already told all my family members that they need to be up to date on vaccinations if they want to be anywhere near my little one. Fortunately it's not a big issue since almost everyone is in the medical field or works in a school. Personally if I were you I'd be more worried about Tdap over flu.
  • Options
    I'd personally be more worried about all the comments regarding smokers in the house, even if they just smoke outside. Smoke on clothes is bad for babies too. 2nd hand smoke in infants increases risk of SIDS, and long term increases risk of asthma, pneumonia, URIs.... I won't be requiring family/friends to be vaccinated around our LO, but if someone came over smelling of smoke I would turn them away in a heart beat.
  • Options
    Just to throw it out there....
    Even immunized people can carry and spread illnesses and diseases.
    There is only so much we can realistically do, aside from living in a quarantined bubble.
    Just a thought.
    DS1 - Jan 2007
    DD - Aug 2010
    DS2 - Feb 2016

• Options
    I usually opt out of having a flu shot. I don't have a specific reasoning behind this madness. With that being said, I will be getting one this year and while I am fully aware it's a personal decision to get vaccinated I will be mentioning/recommending it to grandparents and close relatives. I don't imagine there will be huge debate among family, but I will respect whatever decision they make because it's their body and I don't have control over what they choose to do with it.
  • Options

Mrs.Aaron said:
    Just to throw it out there.... Even immunized people can carry and spread illnesses and diseases. There is only so much we can realistically do, aside from living in a quarantined bubble. Just a thought.
    That is true. However, why risk unnecessarily exposing your infant to diseases that are preventable with a vaccine?

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

Mrs.Aaron said:
    Just to throw it out there.... Even immunized people can carry and spread illnesses and diseases. There is only so much we can realistically do, aside from living in a quarantined bubble. Just a thought.
    That is true. However, why risk unnecessarily exposing your infant to diseases that are preventable with a vaccine?

Vaccines don't prevent you from getting the disease. They can lessen the severity but they don't give you magical immunity. I was vaccinated against whooping cough as a baby, I still got whooping cough as a baby. It was less severe than if I hadn't been vaccinated BUT I still got it.

People who get the flu shot can and DO get the flu.

• Options
    I'm not saying vaccines 100% prevent everything. But as you said, they can reduce severity if the disease is contracted. And, yes, they can prevent it altogether. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your in-laws.  I agree with some pps, that I feel the tdap is much more important.  Personally, in my family (DH & I) we don't get flu shots.  I'm allergic to eggs which is what is in flu shots and the last time my DH got a flu shot he got Swine Flu.  So, we just have better luck without the flu shot.  But they definitely need to get the tdap (or flu shot if you are that passionate about it), or they can't move in.  Good luck, nonetheless!
    Second-time Mommy & OPML 
    M/C (Angel Baby) 10/2011
    AKZ 2/20/2013
    LPZ EDD 2/24/2016
  • Options
    I totally agree with you and would be uspet too. Infact I'm in a similar situation because my dad refuses to get a flu shot and they watch my kids while I'm at work. I also work in a hospital and have seen first hand many times how bad not getting one can be. The hospital I'm delivering at won't even let people who haven't gotten a flu shot to come into the mother/baby area. I would keep working on them til they do it.
  • Options
    I had a scary experience this week. Caught a cold which I also gave to my husband. Normally when we get colds we're affected about the same amount, or if anything I'm less affected. This time I got the worlds most horrible cold and he got a slightly sore throat. Been in bed for two days feeling like death warmed up. Based on my totally unscientific sample size of one I've decided it's a demo of how much worse illnesses are when you're pregnant. Cannot imagine how horrible flu would be so will get shot the minute I'm feeling better, for my own sake as well as baby's.