August 2015 Moms

11 things you didn’t know about breastfeeding

bumptarabumptara admin
edited January 2016 in August 2015 Moms
Moms have super-powers, and breastfeeding is one of them! Some of these special skills are even passed along to baby. Did you know breastfed babies can identify their moms from milk scent alone? 

Check out more surprising facts about breastfeeding here

What other amazing breastfeeding facts can you share?

P.S. Let's take our friendship to the next level. Like us on Facebook

Re: 11 things you didn’t know about breastfeeding

• Loading the player...
  • Your body can get into a rhythm with baby for nighttime feeds, often waking you right before baby needs to feed.

This hasn't happened for me yet...4 weeks later I still have to force myself to get up for most feedings
  • 9. A “breastfeeding high.” Nursing baby triggers the release of the hormone oxytocin, which relaxes you and baby both.

I lovet this feeling it only lasted about 2 weeks last time but while I was still nursing DS I got pregnant with DD and the feeling came back for most of the first trimester. That was a huge sign to hubby I was pregnant again.
  • That there is such a thing as for and hind milk.
  • My boobs always know when it is time to feed. They start to burn this ungodly burn, and wouldn't you know a few minutes later son is fussing for food... it's eerie, but awesome! NOT awesome when I'm not in a position to feed him right away and they ache until I do though.

same here!
  • My boobs always know when it is time to feed. They start to burn this ungodly burn, and wouldn't you know a few minutes later son is fussing for food... it's eerie, but awesome! NOT awesome when I'm not in a position to feed him right away and they ache until I do though.

same here!
    Yup, me too! And when I can't get to him and he starts crying, I start leaking :((
  • MrT723 said:

Your body can get into a rhythm with baby for nighttime feeds, often waking you right before baby needs to feed.

This hasn't happened for me yet...4 weeks later I still have to force myself to get up for most feedings
    I have to set an alarm and hope I don't sleep through the alarm. Something I didn't even know was possible. But with a one week old, it's possible. And scary.
  • For some reason my little girl is refusing to latch onto my left breast I try and try I've even tried for over an hour with no luck she latches then pulls away but as soon as she's on the right she's feeding well so my right breast is huge. They are both solid and really sore I keep trying to express a bit to soften them but they don't really get much softer and I don't get much relief I'm giving up on it slowlu
  • cheeky05 said:

For some reason my little girl is refusing to latch onto my left breast I try and try I've even tried for over an hour with no luck she latches then pulls away but as soon as she's on the right she's feeding well so my right breast is huge. They are both solid and really sore I keep trying to express a bit to soften them but they don't really get much softer and I don't get much relief I'm giving up on it slowlu

Get in with a LC to try to help you before giving up!!
  • One thing I didn't know about breastfeeding is how thirsty you get while nursing. I could easily drink a whole bottle or two of water while nursing.

Yes me too!
  • Breastfeeding is mental
  • Breastfeeding is mental

I agree! I've actually learned this even more now that I've started pumping. The quickest way for me to stop the flow while pumping: look down and watch how much I'm getting.
  • Using a nipple shield allows mommy's with inverted or flat nipples to breastfeed and can actually pull the nipple out so eventually it may not be a necessary tool.
  • EileenY324EileenY324 member
    edited September 2015
    @cheeky05 Try a nipple shield. My LO has trouble latching and the LC at the weekly group I go to gave me a nipple shield. It has helped so much we EBF and he is starting to be able to latch without the shield.
  • Kwest1007 said:

Didn't know how time consuming it would be! An hour of feeding time every 3hrs is exhausting!!

As your baby gets older they will not need to nurse for that long. They become more efficient at nursing in a much shorter time period. At 4 weeks old my baby only nurses for 15-20 mins max and she is done and full. Every baby is different but it should become much faster as the baby gets older so hang in there!
    Thank you for the encouraging words! I told myself to hang in there at least a month but it's so hard. I've also added pumping into my feeding sessions so it's even longer feed times now. N I find pumping very uncomfortable (as well as BF). I hope we get over the hump soon cause I really do wanna BF .
  • Using a nipple shield can help with sore nipples, even if yours aren't flat or inverted. My lactation consultant gave me one, and it saved my life during the first week -- I was in tears every time I had to nurse, and now it's a breeze.
  • Be carful with nipple shields.. I wear it to help my nipple and then take off after a minute.

My baby wasn't gaining weight at his first appointment. We go to his two week tomorrow.
  • How long did it take for your baby to latch without the shield? I'm using the shield now for my 3 week old baby (I have basically flat nipples) and I try to give my nipple without the shield and she starts crying.
  • My 1 month still uses most of the time. The LC we see assured me it won't affect milk supply. I also got and nipple everter which helps him latch as I'm trying to transition him off. It gets him on my bare nipple a few times a day. My nipples aren't flat but they are small and my little guy has a hard time.
  • How much milk from each side should I be producing by week 4? Starting to get stressed by the lack of production :(
  • How much milk from each side should I be producing by week 4? Starting to get stressed by the lack of production :(

I pump after I breastfeed, I got 4 oz total last time.

I pump after I breastfeed, I got 4 oz total last time.
    I only get 4oz if baby hasn't ate in 3-4hrs n is taking a bottle for feed. If I pump after a feed, I'm lucky to get 2oz :-( I have a low supply n I've been trying everything I can!
  • @Kwest1007 have you tried mother love more milk plus ?
  • Has anyone tried the fenugreek vitamin?
  • jrenaem7 said:

Has anyone tried the fenugreek vitamin?

I am taking fenugreek. It seems to help. I have increased since taking it.
  • My supply definitely went up with fenugreek.
  • @Kwest1007 have you tried mother love more milk plus ?

@ChanelLovesB Is this the same as mothers milk tea? I drink 32oz of that and take 6000mg of fenugreek a day! I've been eating nutritional yeast, oats, drinking lots of water, and trying to increase protein intake.
  • I am taking it. It tastes awful but has seemed to help a little bit
  • I tried it but it didn't make any difference for me.
  • Oops. Fenugreek didn't help. Motherlove supplement has
  • How long did it take for your baby to latch without the shield? I'm using the shield now for my 3 week old baby (I have basically flat nipples) and I try to give my nipple without the shield and she starts crying.

I'm having this same problem :( My baby is almost 10 weeks old and she refuses to feed without a shield. I've tried weaning her off it and I thought it was working at first but now she just screams bloody murder until I put the shield on!
  • I've tried weaning from the shield as well and while eventually he will latch correctly he gets frustrated and upset which makes me frustrated and upset. He doesn't like to open is mouth or latch deeply and due to reflux he sometimes pulls off a lot. I've accepted that he is happy with the shield and he's been gaining weight so while it's not ideal I'm not going to change what works. If your LO is getting enough to eat I wouldn't worry. It's more important for you both to enjoy BF.