Baby Names

Quinn or Reese for a girl?

My DH is totally all about unisex names for girls, which many would say are just boy names for girls. These are the only two I can get behind. I'm not really in love with any other girl names. I actually like these names, but my only concern is whether it would be annoying for her to possibly be mistaken for a boy sometimes. Other than that I am not worried about the boy name for a girl thing because I'm not super traditional when it comes to names (or anything for that matter). So, what are your thoughts of these two? Is one better than the other? I think I like the sound of Reese better, but I like the way Quinn looks on paper. Reese kind of reminds me of the candy when I see it. 

Re: Quinn or Reese for a girl?

• I don't personally like either but I would say Quinn is more likely to not scream male.

• Okay, so I will preface this by saying that I really dislike any masculine names for girls, but these two aren't the worst offenders ever. That said, I think I would choose Quinn if I had to decide. Reese makes me think you are a big Reese Witherspoon fan, since that is just about the only famous Reese (minus the guy who made the peanut butter cup, God bless him). I feel like when names only become popular once a notable celebrity has that name, it sort of cheapens them, especially if it's a more unique name. Quinn is more timeless to me, and like you said, it looks better on paper. I would just go with a more feminine middle name for balance.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Loading the player...
  • Okay, so I will preface this by saying that I really dislike any masculine names for girls, but these two aren't the worst offenders ever. That said, I think I would choose Quinn if I had to decide. Reese makes me think you are a big Reese Witherspoon fan, since that is just about the only famous Reese (minus the guy who made the peanut butter cup, God bless him). I feel like when names only become popular once a notable celebrity has that name, it sort of cheapens them, especially if it's a more unique name. Quinn is more timeless to me, and like you said, it looks better on paper. I would just go with a more feminine middle name for balance.
    Thank you. That is a good point about Reese too. Every time I bring it up in a conversation and say it is boy's name people immediately argue with me and say "NO, what about Reese Witherspoon!" Reese is not even her real name, so that argument is dumb, but it does show me how strongly that name is associated with her. For sure she would have a feminine middle name. I'm just stuck and DHs other options are Taylor and Drew, which I can't get behind. I have a son named Dylan and I HATE when people use it for a girl, so I feel like a hypocrite!
  • I don't care for either name. what about a boys name that has completely gone to the girls?

Kelly

Hailey

Marian

Kimberly

• To be honest, I've only ever heard Quinn used for girls, so I tend to think of it that way. Because of Reese Witherspoon, I also think of Reese as feminine. They're not as firmly established and widespread as masculine names like Elliott, James, or Ryan, so it doesn't bother me to hear them used for girls.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • saham07 said:

I don't care for either name. what about a boys name that has completely gone to the girls?

Kelly

Hailey

Marian

Kimberly

Hailey was always our top name, but some of our good friends used it for their daughter so we don't feel comfortable using it now. The others are not my style, but thanks anyway!
  • Not a fan of either - they both just scream boy to me. What about something like Alexandra or Samantha with a unisex nn?
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know two boys with the name Quinn, and one girl. I know one teenage boy named Reese, one named Rhys, and FIVE little girls (age 10 and under) named Reese.

So when I hear Quin/Quinn....I assume it is a boy. When I hear Reese, I assume it is a girl. 

But that is just in my area and people that I know. Out of the two, I like Quinn better for a girl, and Reese better for a boy. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I'd vote Reese.
  • I love Quinn. It would have been a top contender if baby was a girl. I think both names sound feminine and are more commonly used for girls (MUCH different than naming your daughter James or Wyatt.)
  • To me, Quinn and Reese are unisex names that lean slightly to the more to the female side.

Like you, Reese screams "peanut butter cup" to me, so I would have a hard time with it.  I could do Quinn, though!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Don't care for either. Quinn is the lesser offense.
  • I like Quinn much more than Reese. It would actually be on our list of we didn't have a cousin with the name.

My name is one of those that is a girls name, but I have always gone by the nickname that is a boys name. growing up, it never bothered me. I even remember one of my elementary classes where there were 5 of my name and I was the only girl.
  • Reese is all boy to me. Quinn I think is too girly to be for a boy (even though I realize it's a "gender neutral" name). I like Quinn. I think it's spunky and cool. I'd pair it with a very feminine middle name (Quinn Elizabeth for instance). Have you considered Adair or Arden? I like those as well.
    Love: 5/2004
    Marriage: 4/2008
    Baby Carriage #1: 5/2012
    Baby Carriage #2: 1/2016

• Quinn was one of my girl names, until I realized the popularity level was skyrocketing. I have an Emma, and I don't want to even break the top 100 this round.
    If it doesn't bother you, my vote is Quinn!

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Guess I'm the odd one out. I HATE the name Quinn on a girl. It's just gross. Sorry. All I can think of is that awful Harley Quinn clown girl, from the Batman comics, that is always depicted as a slutty jester. Nope. Could never name a daughter Quinn.

Reese isn't really my style either but I can handle it, even without associating it with Reese Witherspoon. It's actually kind of cute and definitely unisex. Love Rhys on a boy though!
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I don't really like either.
  • ecwkecwk member
    I think they're both terrible. Quinn is more terrible. I don't get people's obsession with it. I've never known it as anything other than a last name. Reese is better but so masculine!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Quinn is on my girls name list, i love it for a girl but weirdly enough wouldn't use it for a boy. 
     My daughters name is Remi which can be Remy for a boy too!
  • I think Reese has been overdone lately for girls. Quinn is a nice option that I never hear.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like Quinn more than Reese.

If your husband likes masculine sounding names, have you considered female names that have masculine nicknames?  That way she could decide later in life if she wanted to use her whole name or a nickname.  Ie:

Samantha nn Sam
    Christine or Christina nn Chris
    Alexandra nn Alex
    Danielle or Daniela nn Dani
    Aurora nn Rory
  • Reese = girl to me, only because of Reese Witherspoon.
    Reece/Rys= boy
    Quinn = girl ONLY because of Daria, lol. I've never met any Quinn's IRL.

I would avoid both just because I don't care for names that can be confused for either sex but if I had to choose, I'd choose Reese.
  • I like Reese more than Quinn, only because Quinn is too trendy and I immediately think of Glee.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Just the other day I had a barista named Quinn, she was really friendly.

I'm kind of in the minority in that I think Reese is fine for a girl, but I'm also planning on naming my daughter after a celebrity with a name that is originally masculine and the only reference you hear for it is that actress lol (Sigourney)

I think both names on are equal footing with each other, though, and neither is a bad choice although both will be a bit on the overdone/dated side.
  • I like Quinn more than Reese.

If your husband likes masculine sounding names, have you considered female names that have masculine nicknames?  That way she could decide later in life if she wanted to use her whole name or a nickname.  Ie:

Samantha nn Sam
    Christine or Christina nn Chris
    Alexandra nn Alex
    Danielle or Daniela nn Dani
    Aurora nn Rory
    I think to him these are feminine names so he doesn't like Sam or Alex etc. I think he thinks of these names as "different" and feminine. We argue about that because he says they sound to him like girl names so in his head they are girl names and he would never name a boy that. He tends to really dislike traditional or classic names, which is why I think he gravitates toward these more. I also kind of find most of those names with a boy nickname (Sam, alex) a little too1980s, maybe with the exception of Aurora. My favorites currently are Colette and Elise but he is not into those so we are both trying to compromise.
  • I like Reese as a nn for Theresa, you could do that?
  • Quinn is so cute :) and seems less trendy than Reese to me. Glee wasn't a big enough deal to really set the name in stone, whereas everyone knows Reese Witherspoon.
  • Reese is so overused these days. I think Quinn is cute!

• If I had to pick, I'd say Quinn. Reece just doesn't sound good to me. Frankly, if you have time, I'd recommend walking away for a while and going back to the drawing board.

Also, if you think Samantha, Alexandra and Christina scream 80's - wait and see what the thoughts are on all the boy names being used on girls right now.
  • This is hilarious I just came across this! These are my two FAVORITE girl names ever. They are so high-end / upscale sounding. The majority of people you poll on the internet won’t understand and would probably choose names in an entirely different class similar to Brayden / Grayson / Jayden / etc.  But if you know, you know 💁🏽‍♀️  My daughter’s name is Quinn and I’m due in June. If it’s a girl, I’m naming her Reese. I was looking up boy names that have the same feel as Quinn and Reese and this was the first hit on Google. What did you end up going with since this was years ago? I’m curious 😆
  • harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited February 5
    June 2017 was the last time she logged in - you won't get an answer from OP. the boards were actually active at that time