Baby Names
Options

Need Opinions on Girl Names

mrsneufeldmrsneufeld member
edited August 2015 in Baby Names
I've got 7 weeks left until my due date, and am having a girl! This is my 3rd baby. Big brother is Alexander Grant and sister is Vivienne Renée. Both have middle names that honour family members. Grant is my husband's and father-in-law's middle name, and Renée is my sister-in-law's middle name (she lives far away from us and doesn't get to see us more than twice a year, so we decided to use her middle name). With this one, we're honouring my Grandpa, who died of cancer when I was really little. I was 2, but have memories of taking naps on his lap, and that he was eating orange jello the last time I saw him alive. I've always felt a strong connection to him. But, finding a name that honours him isn't that easy. His name was Bernhard, but I don't like Bernadette. Bernhard means "mighty as a bear" so we're leaning most towards Eden because it means "bear cub" in Old English. We can't decide if it should be first or middle though, and what name should go with it! I like names that aren't super common, but aren't made up or crazy either, and the meaning matters! Please vote, or make suggestions!

Need Opinions on Girl Names 80 votes

Eden Sylvia
6% 5 votes
Eden Devorah (rhymes with Deborah and is Biblical)
12% 10 votes
Eden Pearl (was his birthstone, and my dad's middle name is Earl)
77% 62 votes
Eden Geneva
3% 3 votes

Re: Need Opinions on Girl Names

• Options
    I would use Eden in the MN spot.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's a huge stretch to get Eden from Bernhard. No one is going to know that Eden means bear cub in Old English.

I don't love Eden anyway. It's okay but it's nowhere near as great as your other children's names. Sylvia Bernadette would be lovely.
  • Options
    What about...
    Beryl
    Bera (a German diminutive of Bernadette)
    Bernice
    Bridget/Brigid/Brigitte

If you really like Eden and the connection is meaningful to you, go for it. The only middle name I wouldn't use of your choices is Geneva, too many "ee" sounds in there.
  • Options
    Bernadette as a middle name. Sylvia Bernadette? I trust you'll pick a good first name as it seems like you have good taste, your other two are lovely.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Options
    Kind of echoing others here with it doesn't seem like an honouring, but if it's meaningful to you then by all means. Fwiw I love Bernadette, and it makes sense as the middle name since that's where all the others have their honouring name. I viewed for Eden Pearl, though, just in terms of what sound best together. Eden will only make me think of the garden, though, not a bear
  • Options
    Eden doesn't sound as strong as your other two.
    I also agree with pp opinions of Bernadette as a middle name.
  • Options
    Eden Pearl
  • Options
    LOVE Eden Pearl!!!
  • Options
    I can't stand the name Bernadette, even as a middle name. I like both meanings of Eden, but I do agree that it isn't as strong as my other kids names. I'm thinking Pearl might be the best middle name option with Sylvia or Devrah as the first name
  • Options
    Sylvia Pearl would be lovely.