January 2016 Moms

can we have a vent about dumb things people say to us?

Re: can we have a vent about dumb things people say to us?

• My step mother in law didn't want to give up smoking in our house after we found out. She literally said, smoking and second hand smoke are harmless to a pregnant woman. My husband had to hold me back from slapping her. So instead I went and printed out a whole packet on info and threw it at her
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't really told anyone about this pregnancy yet, but with the first 4 I heard:

-You'll need to get rid of all your cats now.

-Are you planning to do anything IMPORTANT with your life, or just have babies?

-You do know what birth control is, right?

-If it has Downs', I'll pay for the abortion. (My former MIL. We didn't speak to her for 2yrs after that.)

SPNG Tags Sam  Dean  Cas  Photoshop  WTF  Dancing  Funny  or disturbingLooking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif This blog organizes them so you dont have to spend hours hunting them down

DS1 01/08/03 DD1 08/11/04 DD2 10/06/08 DS2 09/30/14

SURPRISE!  Hannah May born 01/22/16

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

• When we told my sil that I was pregnant she said but you're so skinny! I'm surprised you wanted to get pregnant after getting so skinny...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @BarrettJ89 I have three dogs, a springer spaniel who is an angel, a pit bull who is by far the sweetest dog I've ever met and a little mutt who is so stinkin' mean!!! My MIL has asked three times how the dogs will handle having a baby around. The only one im concerned about is the little one.
  • My boyfriend loves to play "slaps" with his 8 year old daughter. My dogs throw a fit! They get between them and bark. It's hilarious. They just don't know who to protect; daddy or sissy! They are such big babies, unless you harm the actual babies!
  • I'm pregnant with our first, and we found out last week that we are having a girl.  A coworker said today (upon hearing me state the sex):  "Oh, is your husband disappointed?  I mean, they usually want boys to carry on the family name."

OMG I almost flew at her and punched her.  Seriously.  Um no my husband isn't concerned with an heir and a spare and he cried (tears of joy!) in the ultrasound room with me when we found out the sex. I didn't even know what to say to that.
  • 1. You can't do that in your condition! (About throwing a frisbee. Very loudly at the work picnic, before we'd told most people the news)

2. Are you going to get rid of your cats? (No. We are not.)

3. Better get used to it! (Like PPs have mentioned. This one just bugs me every time, about tiredness, or not sleeping, or runny noses, or screaming kids in public, etc)
  • salixjoy38salixjoy38 member
    edited August 2015
    Im a lurker from early February 2016, couldn't resist this thread. On the weekend, my husband's friend commented that after he saw his friend who is 8 mo pregnant, and seeing how big HER boobs are, that MY boobs are going to be even bigger. Like thanks for letting me know that you have noticed my boob size and wil be monitoring them. I totally called him out on it in front of a bunch of people. Public shaming for the win. I can't believe some of the stuff you guys have heard. Im dreading being further along and showing and having to deal with stupid people like that. Edit: spelling
  • So I haven't gotten many stupid comments from people. Just 3 and they were from my mom

1. I shouldn't get anymore tattoos bc it won't look good for the baby. I have a bunch of tattoos that cover most of my arms and others. I know she is only saying this bc she personally doesn't like the fact that I have tattoos. She is a very traditional Korean woman and the culture does not really approve of them. What she will not like is that I plan on getting one after my baby is born with his footprints:) me having tattoos and is not going to predict how my baby will turn out. He will be loved and cared for just like any mom would...tattoos or not. It just pissed me off that she was trying to say he will have a bad life bc of it.

2. She said I shouldn't get anymore animals. I have 3 dogs and 2 cats but for whatever reason she thinks I have 1 dog and 1 cat. I have no idea where she got this from especially since she has seen pictures of all my babies. I am tempted to get another dog just bc now ( not that I would bc my house is already full)

3. She also said I should never carry anything and that DH should do all of it bc I could hurt the baby. Now I do have to say DH doesn't let me carry anything anyways. If I carry a grocery bag with bread in it his comment is " you shouldn't be carrying that put it down". I mean geez it's just bread! I'm not helpless so don't make me feel like I should be.

• The more I read this thread, the more I feel sorry for you lovely ladies! I've seriously not had a SINGLE negative thing said yet (I know there are still 5 months left for it to happen though), and I am STUNNED how many of these comments have come from family or friends! I can imagine a stranger being a dick, but not someone I know!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I get tired of hearing the "you shouldn't be doing that!" At work.... I've been doing "this" for 9 yrs.....I think it's okay.....and its my decision. I physically do what I feel comfortable doing and nothing more.

The only sort of backwards thing I heard was "how are you gonna wear those hip huggers? Won't be wearing them much longer, you're gonna get wider" from a customer...for the record...they're regular American Eagle jeans and I just started wearing maternity at 18 weeks, and not because I am "wider" lol because my belly is busting out and belly bands aren't for the actively moving jobs.
  • People keep on asking me if #2 was planned. Who cares!!!! It's none of their business.

(This one was not) But telling people that this baby was a surprise sucks. Like previous posters said, people think you're just irresponsible. Ugh....
  • Got an ultrasound today where we got a beautiful picture of baby's profile. I sent it to family, and my husband's brothers fiancé's only response is, "... It has a big head."

Like. Stfu. The baby is hardly 5 inches long, it does not have a giant body, much less a giant head.

Also my family keeps saying that if I keep calling baby a he (I say that because it's formal and better than calling baby an it) that if it's a girl I will give him gender identity problems because "it" spent all that time in the womb being called a he.
  • My MIL just randomly decided to tell me how tired I looked at work yesterday...which I wasn't. Thanks for telling me I looked ugly yesterday?
  • @SummerFall03 - Just curious, how does a thyroid issue affect breastfeeding? I have a thyroid issue too and no one has mentioned this to me yet, though I could have a different problem.
  • Hahaha I second that BS call because I just got a nice gel spa pedicure done today and it felt amazing I'm also almost 17 w tomorrow
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • My SIL, who i see quite often and knows me very well, asked me if I had been having any cravings lately, I responded with not really but last week I had Jimmy Johns 3 times so maybe that was something. She paused for a significant amount of time and then goes "soooo, you aren't concerned with eating lunch meat at all, you know that's bad for the baby." I turned to her and responded with "I've been a vegetarian for five years..."

I know she was concerned, but the way she said it with the long pause and side eye bugged me! Like she thinks I'm not knowledgable. Come on, You know I don't eat meat! She is trying her hardest to be helpful, but she has four kids and this is my first so I am constantly getting unsolicited advice and sorts. And I know she's excited to finally become an aunt. I usually don't mind but this peeved me!
  • My SIL, who i see quite often and knows me very well, asked me if I had been having any cravings lately, I responded with not really but last week I had Jimmy Johns 3 times so maybe that was something. She paused for a significant amount of time and then goes "soooo, you aren't concerned with eating lunch meat at all, you know that's bad for the baby." I turned to her and responded with "I've been a vegetarian for five years..."

I know she was concerned, but the way she said it with the long pause and side eye bugged me! Like she thinks I'm not knowledgable. Come on, You know I don't eat meat! She is trying her hardest to be helpful, but she has four kids and this is my first so I am constantly getting unsolicited advice and sorts. And I know she's excited to finally become an aunt. I usually don't mind but this peeved me!

Their vegetarian subs are the best! They got me through the first tri
  • I was just told last night that I shouldn't be reaching overhead to turn off a light with a pull-switch because I shouldn't be straining.  Omg. But this was said by DH's elderly great-aunt so I just laughed and turned off the light.  I should've said that turning off the light was less straining than what I have to do in the bathroom sometimes.  ;;)

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm with you @CaraBoonie I haven't had any rude comments this pregnancy! I had a few when I was pregnant with DS but nothing to the caliber you ladies have gotten!

P.S. And people think the ladies on here are rude?!?
  • @SamJoR my sister and I are due 4 days apart. Worst we have to gotten is disappointment at delivering at different hospitals! But my family knows they were trying and we were not preventing but not trying,so maybe that stops dumb comments?

I love all these answers, I'm either laughing my head off at stupidity or boiling rage that people are that awful!
  • Seriously!!! We aren't finding out the sex and a lot of people are on me for it. I was even called boring lol.
  • my husband and I got pregnant on the honeymoon. so I've gotten a lot of comments that we "celebrated" before the honeymoon. not that it's anyone's business (they sure make it their business!), but really getting tired of judgmental looks from people who thought that I was "impure" with my husband before we got married. This is the 21st century,I don't feel like it's anyone's right to judge. it's always this game of "how far are you? Oh, 17 weeks, will you have been married for 15 weeks. Hmmmmm" me-yes and for some reason the doctor decided to add two weeks because of my last period to are due date

my brother is mister funny man, but I really hate it when ever he says to my husband "she better be nice to you, cuz she's going to be putting you through a lot.I'm surprised you haven't left her yet." Right....like my husband watching me cry because my tailbone hurts is putting him through a lot.

or when my over protective husband won't let me carry a bagel. and drinks all my water out in public, but then when we're home and have access to drinks he won't even touch it and says its for the pregnant lady.

not to mention all the unsolicited advice from my mom, who is a control freak.

or when I'm in so much pain I get grouchy, and my husband is Mr sensitive about how I act, and says I'm being mean and that I should be more sensitive to his feelings. and I think "yes of course let's be completely courteous of your feelings, why don't we trade places."

Thanks for letting me vent! Much love
  • Theliops said:

@jodieHxx I totally feel you. How dare we find out something about our babies and can call them "he" or "she" instead of "it" before birth... how DARE we.

It's so funny because I get the opposite for NOT finding out. Smh, there's no pleasing people!
  • We have our anatomy scan tomorrow and I asked my MIL to watch our sons while we went. She replied that yes, she would and then she did the PRAYER HANDS emoticon with a quick "better be a girl!". 

Like seriously? 

SERIOUSLY?! Why do you care if I have three sons? (She already has a grand daughter) 

If it's a boy, I don't even want to tell her. I already know that if I do, she will say something so inconsiderate that I'll be tempted to throat punch her. I may just have to say that the baby wasn't cooperating.