Third-Party Reproduction

Donor Egg: Questions

Hi! I am in my 20's was diagnosed with POF in November and after taking several months to process everything and feel better my husband and I are ready to move forward. We just secured a donor from our RE's office, but are now waiting for her next cycle to start so she can begin birth control. Until then I am waiting... And wondering... Does anyone have any DE experiences they would be willing to share? How many cycles did it take? Did you transfer one or two embryos? Anyone going through that process right now?
Any advice?

Re: Donor Egg: Questions

• Hi!  Congrats on getting the process going, how exciting!

The intended parents I'm currently a gestational carrier for used donor eggs and their own sperm.  For the first batch, they used a 1st time donor and got 9 embryos that looked good.  Over 4 cycles, we transferred 2, 2, 3, and 2 which resulted in a chemical pregnancy each time.  Betas never over 50.

For the second batch they chose a proven donor who has had success.  I'm sure it cost more, but the first two embryos we transferred stuck and I'm about 30 weeks pregnant with their twin girls.

That's my limited experience with donor eggs :)  good luck with everything!
    Mommy to 5, 1st time Gestational Carrier
    Transfers #1-4  2013/2014 all same DE, all CP
    Transfer #5 11/16/14, new DE, transferred two fresh 5-day blasts
    Beta  9dp5dt - 296     Beta 15dp5dt - 6,596!     TWINS!! due 8/4/15
    Admitted to hospital for preterm labor and 5cm dilated at 32 + 6
    Delivered healthy baby girls vaginally at 36 + 4
    Baby A 6lb10oz born at 11:58pm
    Baby B 6lb11oz born at 12:04am
    (different birthdays!)
  • Hello! I am currently 36 years old and diagnosed with POF last July. This was a complete shock to me and my husband because we conceived a son naturally 2 years ago. We decided to use an egg donor and found one we liked about 4 months ago. Our donor's eggs were frozen which was nice because we didn't have to "time" our cycles, we could just proceed when I got to the correct spot in my cycle. The first time we were set-up, I apparently ovulated and had to wait till the following cycle. The second try I ended up on shots to make me not ovulate in addition to Estrogen and Progesterone. The second cycle the stars aligned and we actually un-thawed the eggs and proceeded with fertilization with my husband's sperm. We started with 5 eggs, 4 survived the thaw, 3 fertilized and 2 eventually made it to transfer. We decided to transfer both blastocysts to me and now I am 7 weeks pregnant with 1!

Good luck!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • refeek1refeek1 member
    Hi! I am much older than you, but using donor eggs. We chose a proven donor and I had 10 total blasts, 2 transferred fresh and 8 frozen.  I transferred 2 each time, but this last one.  One of my last two frosties didn't make it through thaw.  I am in the 2ww and hoping for the best.  All of my info is in my signature if you're interested.  To answer your question, I am on my 5th and final transfer and have not had success yet.  I've seen so many ladies successful using donor eggs on this site, many have moved on.   I wish you so much luck.

TTC #1 since May 2010

OE IVF #1  9/2/13 Cancelled- poor response

DE IVF #1 3/12/14- BFP 3/17/14- ectopic, right tube removed 4/11/14 @ 7 weeks

DE FET #1 7/3/14-Transferred 2 5AA 6 day embryos Beta 7/13/14 BFN

DE FET #2 9/5/14-Transferred 2 4BB 5 day embryos Beta 9/15/14 BFN

DE FET #3 in December- Cancelled, didn't respond to meds

DE FET #3 (2nd try) 2/13/15- Transferred 1 4BB and 1 4BA 5 day embryos Beta 2/23/15  BFN again (CP)

DE FET #4 - last 2 frosties....5/22/15- Transferred 1 4BA embryo...only one frostie thawed properly.  Beta scheduled for 6/1-  BFN (beta 2, 2.81, 6, 23, 49.4) 6/15/15 Discovered ectopic in left tube.  Methotrexate given. Moving on to a new donor. Hoping to transfer by the end of the year.

Cant find a donor that is healthy and available.  Looking at being happy with just the two of us.

• Well I haven't been for my 1st scan yet but according to my betas I'm 7+2 pregnant after using an ED : ) They collected 32 eggs of which 28 were mature. Half were frozen and the other half were used for icsi. Of the 14 fresh eggs, 12 fertilised and 10 developed to 3 day blasts. Half were frozen and of the remaining 5 3 developed to healthy 5 day blasts of which 2 were transferred. I couldn't believe how lucky we were with our ED. I'm having my 1st scan this Thursday and keeping all my fingers crossed. Our ED I think only ever wanted to donate once. She is 28, healthy, sporty and a very positive person. I don't know if that had anything to do with the success rate... All the best to you and everyone using an ED!!
  • I am also a gestational surrogate. And my intended parents used frozen donor eggs from a donor that has had successful pregnancies and births.
    We transferred one 5 day blastocyst and I am currently just over 13 weeks pregnant with a singleton!
  • Thank you ladies for sharing your stories. I will admit that I am a bit nervous since I have no fertility treatment experience. It feels like I am going from zero to 60. It is such a blessing to know there are other strong, beautiful women traveling the same road.
  • I am a first-time gestational carrier 35 weeks pregnant today and due July 7th. I was hoping to find a GC community for support and to share experiences with.
    And for the OP the embryo was made from the intended parents own egg and sperm but I agreed to only one embryo transfer at a time and we were successful the first time! I just knew we would be.
  • Lacyj67Lacyj67 member
    edited June 2015
    I used donor eggs with my husbands sperm. Our donor is a super star with many proven pregnancys.. She herself did ivf and had a little girl first and twin boys. She donated her left over embryos and that couple had twins. Then she donated once more for me and another couple. We did a shared cycle she produced over 40 eggs and we each got twelve mature eggs to fertilize. We made it to freeze with 8 frozen embryos. I know the other couple did get pregnant on there fresh transfer and had twins. I did my first transfer with 2 embryos and miscarried at 6 weeks. Same happened at my second transfer. And third transfer of two embryos was a fail. We are now moving forward with our last two embryos with a gestational carrier.
    I completely believe in TPR and think that some of us have to go well above and beyond to have a family and that's so ok because it was ment to be the way we go about having a family!
    Good luck to you!!!
    Me 34 and DH 39 married in aug. 2002
    Did 5 round of clomid 2010 =BFN
     High levels of NK CELLS DX sept.2012 DOR:# 0.02 
    IVF #1 May 2012  ER 4, EF 2, ET 2 =BFN
    MINI IVF Oct.2012  Cancelled 10-27-12
    Ivf #3 Antagonist Protocol April 2013
    Shared cycle..Donor cycled in July Got 12 eggs 9 fertilized and 8 frozen!!
    DE FET #1 Sept. 3rd 2013 FIRST BFP EVER 5dp5dt
    miscarried Sept 24th at 5 weeks 5 days
    Etopic  D&C and hysterscopy Nov 5 2013
    dx with pre genetic blood clotting dec 2013
    FET #2 Jan 31st  2014 
    Miscarried for a second time again at 5 weeks 5 days
    Currently fostering to adopt an amazing little 1 year old boy..P.J!
    FET#3  is Oct 29th 2014
    BFN on fet #3
    Last and FINAL FET coming JAN 28th 2015
    Everyone Welcome

• riaderekriaderek member
    edited July 2015
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Congrats! This is a huge step. Never look back. My donor produced 23 eggs. 19 of them fertilized and 10 of them made it to blast. We didn't do pgd testing at that point. We transferred 1 and lost the baby to turners syndrome. We got pregnant a second time and lost that baby to turners syndrome again. It was a 1 in a million chance of it happening twice. We decided to test the embryos and ended up with 6 healthy embryos. We transferred a little girl and I am currently 8w 3d. It is such a rewarding process. I am so glad I did it.
  • Hi, I'm new to this site. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 years now. I am 38 years old and due to early menopause am in need of using egg donors. We recently tried using frozen eggs; 12 were frozen.....3 were fertilized....and 1 embryo was transferred. The transfer went smoothly, I continued on my meds (estrace pills and progesterone shots), and my blood tests after the transfer were looking good.....my nurse and doctor were so hopeful. The day before my pregnancy test,I called my nurse to report some cramping and light spotting and she said that was actually a good sign and she really believed I was pregnant.....Unfortunately, the next day, my pregnancy test came back negative. :(  To say we are devastated, is an understatement.

I'm hoping to use another egg donor soon. Hearing encouraging stories on here is keeping my spirits up. Thank you ladies for being so open and sharing your stories.
  • I think you *are* going from 0 to 60. In my signature, you can see I have written "the journey makes you ready for the next step." I think many ladies have had all those other steps to get to where you are now, so it is so much to process. Give yourself time...and in some ways, more knowledge about this stuff can be harmful--I personally made myself crazy hearing too many stories, too much to process, too much worry.

My transfer is next week! My donor is a proven donor, in her 20s, with 2 kids already. She is having a "very active cycle". I am doing a 1:3 shared risk program for 30k. So I get 6 cyles, share eggs with 2 other women, and if I don't bring home a baby or want out at any time, I get ALL of my money back. (DE+husband's sperm). They had their own relatively small list of donors--so I didn't make myself crazy about picking the "perfect" person--but I've totally bonded with my woman, so I hope it works with her. So I pray that her eggs do wonderous things. I plan on transferring 1 egg prob the first and 2nd time, and would do more after that, if no luck. I do not want to have twins with a high risk pregnancy and risk to them, but obviously would be blessed if that happened. Good luck and happy to answer questions!
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • rosannewildrosannewild member
    edited October 2015
    I struggled with infertility for several years. Miscarried due to fibroids. We finally found treatment for it and made the decision to go straight to IVF with donor eggs because, at 45, I needed grapes not raisins. I wanted to avoid the negative issues with my genetic background. We researched success rates associated with getting pregnant at 45. Research advised to expect about three cycles before having a pregnancy hold.
    We did lots of searching for fresh donors, but felt that would be out of reach for us financially. In the end, we qualified for a "guaranteed" program that would refund 80% if not successful with a live birth after 18 months; which included 3 draws of batches of 6 eggs each. We had to go through an egg bank. I found a donor who could have been my twin! She was perfect and had 30+ eggs banked.
    I did weeks of daily shots and prep. The week before the transfer the whole first batch fertilized, which they said would not happen. Three embryos made it to day six and I chose one embryo to transfer. I was tempted to have two, but didnt want to have an added health risk with twins. I went in for the transfer with the idea that it was a practice run. No stress or anxiety. I felt I was getting my body ready for the next round. I went home and climbed into bed with my dogs and kitties and slept. My rottie started sleeping with his head on my tummy that day. A week later I had mild cramping and spotting. I thought it could be implantation stuff, but dismissed it as wishful thinking. They did a blood test one morning and called my that afternoon to tell me i was indeed pregnant. I cried hard. Then I called my Husband and our mothers.
    My pregnancy was almost perfect. I'd expected a crawl through hell, but i was the happiest and calmest Ive ever been. Baby is absolutely perfect. She looks a lot like my husband right now. I'm so very thankful. We hope to go through it again with the frozen embryos and have another baby.
  • @rosannewild your story just made me cry and I'm just bursting with hope now. I'm 41 and have been TTC for 2 years. After failed IUIs and IVFS, our RE suggested an egg donor. We signed with an egg donor agency and we're going through legal stuff now. We should start on meds in 2 weeks. I'm so close that I'm scared something will go wrong but after reading your story, Im hopeful. Id be the happiest person on earth if I get pregnant by Christmas. Congrats on your baby and thanks for sharing :x
    TTC for Baby #1 for 3 years. After 2 failed IUI's & IVFs, God blessed us with our miracle :).  FET 12/17/15 (transferred 2 embryos at 5days). First Beta 12/29/15 = 354. Second Beta 12/31/15 = 694. Third Beta 1/7/16 = 6,695.  Finally heard his heartbeat (126)  on 1/14/16 @ our 1st US.  2nd US on 1/21/16, HR was 159.  The most beautiful sound ever :) 
  • I am new to this particular board, but wanted to answer because I have a story similar to yours. I was told I had POF at age 26, but it was due to a genetic condition and I basically have no eggs. I have used donor eggs my entire pregnancy journey. I was able to have my DS on my first try, but have had concerns since then. We are now looking further into my issues. But, as long as your uterus is structurally good, the odds are in your favor. I wish you lots of luck!!
    FET 11/20/15 - BFP #3- 11/30/15 - BO at 7w1d on 12/21/15
    IVF (egg donor #2) in July 2015 - BFN
    FET in January 2014 - BFP - Blighted Ovum
    IVF (egg donor #1) in April 2011 - BFP - DS Born 1/3/12
  • Hi! I'm sorry you're going through this emotional roller coaster. I know how heartbreaking this decision might be. We were also in the case of egg donation. I had endo and PCOS by the time we planned to try for a baby. But the story went on more complicated. This was my issue, DH is absolutely ok. 6 years ago had 2 miscarriages in a row. Due to this fact, my age and medical history (Last test results came in with poor morphology - my eggs of a very poor quality.  :s   Doc gave only 5% verdict of conceiving with OE. So we made ourselves to look onto egg donation as our last step before adoption. It was so emotionally hard from the very beginning I couldn't help crying. But later after talking to many lovely people on the forums facing the same decision we got used to the idea. This IS the chance to keep biological relation (even though only of one of the parents). This was our 3rd shot in Biotexcom clinic after which we finally got pregnant. I'm a happy mom now. My lovely baby boy first saw this world on 18 May. :)  :) Now looking back I don't take this fact the same I did before. No tragedy about using DE is left. We're happy parents and I know my son is absolutely MINE!! May God bless you on this path, hun. Wish you all the best of luck in the world!!!