Multiples
Options

Twins- Do they sleep in the same crib?

Hi there!

I am 13 weeks with twins, and just curious about bringing them home and their sleeping arrangements. Do twins like to sleep in the same crib? I've heard both answers. I'm starting my baby registry and needed some clarification. Thanks!!

Re: Twins- Do they sleep in the same crib?

• Options
    I plan to keep mine in the same crib for a little while. I've heard they sleep better together. But maybe someone with experience can chime in ;)
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • Options
    I never had mine in the same crib. I preferred to give them their own space. When they were bigger, they would just roll into one another so we've always kept them separated.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine love to be near each other and just having each other to stare at makes bedtime pretty easy - they rarely cry when put down to sleep next to each other, even if they are still fairly awake. I highly recommend a shared space (we use a pack n play at the foot of our bed) for the first several months. Mine our almost 3 months and we are transitioning them out of our room into their separate cribs in their room this week. We will probably put them together in one crib for a bit as they get used to the new room and then separate them. But we have the cribs situated where they can see each other, which I think is important. I support their individuality but they are very close and I want to support that, too.
  • Options
    My girls are 7weeks now, and from day 1 they have slept in separate bassinets in our room. During the daytime when I'm awake and can see them they share a packnplay for naps. They scoot and squirm so much that they end up on top of each other sometimes, so I'm not comfortable with them sleeping together when I'm sleeping and can't see them.
  • Options
    rue:Drue:D member
    We are planning to have ours in a twin pack and play when they come home, and at least until they're sleeping longer stretches through the night (or outgrow the bassinets in the pack and play). I've heard that they often sleep better in the same crib but need separate cribs once they're old enough to start moving around when they sleep.
  • Options
    My twins will be 3 months on Friday and still sleep in the same crib. When I first brought them home I was determined for them to sleep in the same bed but they would scream and scream until put back together. So I finally gave in. I'm sure they will get
    To big eventually to crib share but right now I love them being together!
  • Options
    Mine do not. NICU advised against it.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for the tips! Have a good day!!
  • Options
    We have had great success with them in a crib together. They are much happier when together.
  • Options
    We did both. The first few months (and even in the NICU) they were together. Eventually as they got older we did have to put them in separate cribs though. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    My triplets were in nicu til til 6-8wks. At home,
    They slept in the same room but 3 cribs til one moved to a new room around 6 months. The other 2 needed to be split for nap times then and were finally split for the night at 11 mos.
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ours shared a crib (night) and packnplay (naps) until they were about 4 months old and started rolling. Then we separated them and stopped swaddling. I think the fact that they shared for so long helped them get used to each other's sleep noises.
  • Options
    There is conflicting advice out there on this one, but the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against having siblings sleep together due to increased risk for SIDS.  So our plan is to separate them into their own cribs right away.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm 35 weeks with twin girls and I will be putting them in the same crib until there 3 months and then I'll put them in one each :)
  • Options
    My twin boys are 2 1/2 months old and sleep in seperate rock n'plays. They have never expressed an interest in sleeping with each other and actually barely acknowledge each other when they are awake lol so I guess they made their own choice.
  • Options
    My twin boys are 20 months and for the first month I had them in a co-sleeper next to my bed. Then I moved them to their own cribs. I was terrified of them suffocating. I still think it is safest to let them sleep by themselves. Since then they have shared a pack and play a few times.
  • Options
    It actually seems like sleeping together reduces the SIDS risk if they are not yet flipping/moving much but once they are they need to be separated.