Multiples

Progenity test for gender- did you have it done?

littleloves3littleloves3 member
edited July 2015 in Multiples
I am having the Progenity Verifi test done in 2 weeks to test for chromosomal abnormalities and the doctor said it will also tell us the gender of both babies.  She did also say this was their first set of twins they would be testing with Progenity in the office.

A brief Google search indicates that the test looks for the Y chromosome in which case it could conclusively say there are two girls, otherwise we would only know there may be one or two boys.  

I am hoping some of you had this test done and can provide me with your experience so I know if it can accurately predict twin genders.

Thank you!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Progenity test for gender- did you have it done?

• I had a similar test done, Materniti21. I had the test because I was close to 35 and wanted to rule out chromosomal abnormalities, not to find out the sexes. But yes, the test can identify Y chromosome. We were told there was "at least one boy." They couldn't definitively say there were 2 until the AS.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Since at best we would only find out if there were two girls we decided to not find out the gender results at all until the anatomy scan. We did still have genetic testing done, however.

Missed M/C natural cycle 10/2013

DX PCOS 3/2014

2 cycles Clomid 50 mg + Ovidrel + TI

1 cycle Clomid 50 mg + TI - no response stair-stepped to Clomid 75 mg + Ovidrel + TI

1 cycle Clomid 50 mg + Ovidrel + IUI

1 cycle Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Follistim + Ovidrel + TI

1 cycle Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Folistim + Ovidrel + IUI

1 cycle Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Follistim  - no response, repeated Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI = success! 12/2014

Beta 1 - 15 dpiui, 324, Beta 2 - 17 dpiui 750. Twins!!

My Blog: pcosandpizza.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • rue:Drue:D member
    No, my OB's office did not even offer it to me.
  • I wasn't offered it either. I did find out genders at my 16 week scan.
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • EmJ628EmJ628 member
    We had the MaterniT21 test done to check for chromosomal abnormalities, as others have mentioned a side benefit is finding out the gender- but with twins all they can tell you is IF there is a Y chromosome or not- you will still need to have an ultrasound to determine if it's two boys or boy/girl if they tell you there is a Y chromosome. The test can be very expensive (like $1400+) and we had to fight with our insurance to cover it and still have to pay some, so you should not do it just to find out genders.