Multiples

Twins? would have 4 kids?

starsjaimestarsjaime member
edited June 2015 in Multiples

Greetings -

I currently have two beautiful girls (ages 4 and 2) which I was able to carry naturally.  Unfortunately, i'm unable to have any more children.  But we are going thru with IVF and having a surrogate.  Our transfer date is almost here!  we are so excited! 

We are thinking about going for twins....would we be crazy to intentionally try for twins and have 4 children in 5 years?  We are on the fence!

I love the idea of having 4 kids....but our life would be crazy!  when would things 'calm' down (about as much as they could possibly calm down anyways).  2-3 years?

Just stick to 3 kids or go for the craziness of 4!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Twins? would have 4 kids?

• i have a 4yo boy and 6yo girl and im due with twin boys in oct. i know its gonna be hectic but worth it.
  • snmomsnmom member
    edited June 2015
    I have a 3 yo boy and a 2 yo girl and am having twins. I was planning on 3, but was surprised when the doctor told me there were 2. My son will be 4 the month before they are due. I am sure it will be crazy but am excited to have them all close. So, I say go for it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both!

I'm really feeling like it will be worth I! Right now it's so hectic with two and i'm sure would be nuts but then again I think it would be 4 years of crazy and then it would be all over with before you know it.

I'm game, the husband it the one who is debating!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Well since I have 20 month old twins I can say twin newborns are no joke. Doable of course but with 2 other children it's going to be NUTS and I hope you have a lot of help locally. 

And just because you transfer 2 embryos doesn't mean they will both stick. And if you put 2 in are you prepared for one or both of them to split and turn into spontaneous triplets or quads? A handful of moms in my multiples club have triplets that way. 

Just a few things to really think about if you'd be ok if it happened. Good luck!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • No advice on how it'll actually go, but if you go that route you're not alone ! I have a 4 year old and three year old with twins on the way!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We went from 2 kids to 4 kids with the addition of the twins. I say go for four-you will survive! :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • only you can decide that. Our daughter was 16 months old when the triplets were born. We made it work
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you discussed this with your surrogate?  Because having a singleton pregnancy is TOTALLY different than a twin pregnancy.  Is she agreeable to a twin pregnancy- there are many risks/complications that happen more frequently in a mulitples pregnancy.  Such as high blood pressure, incomplete cervix, bedrest, preterm delivery....etc These are things that could endanger her and affect her life/work.

Honestly if you have no infertility diagnosis and your surrogate is young and healthy, I would only transfer one.  After all the real goal for a RE is A healthy baby not to make twins. I would side eye a RE that stated that as a goal for the transfer.
  • 14 weeks with twins. Will make 6 kids for us!
  • LAO12LAO12 member
    No to be the odd one out but I think you are being selfish from reading your post. While twins are a complete blessing, especially when struggling with IF, it should never be the goal. It seems from your post that you are uneducated on the risks to babies and the women when carrying twins. This pregnancy has been very complicated and I have been at risk (babies are good, di/di). Of course you will do what you want but this needs to be a frank conversation with your family, the doctor and surrogate.
    *** Siggy warning ***

DH: 31 normal
    Me: 31 tubal disease
    Married 2011
    TTC 2012
    Clomid x 2 with OBGYN: BFN
    IF testing 2013: blocked left tube, low AMH
    March 2014: Ectopic rupture, emergency surgery and D&C.  Absent left tube and now closed right tube
    October 2014: IVF with ICSI #1 - BFP (17r/14icsi/12f - 2ET 10/27; 7 frosties; Nov7 beta #1= 806; Nov10 beta #2= 2738; TWINS!!!!!  EDD late June/early July 2015)

• Did you have the transfer yet? How did it go? What did you decide? Our surrogate is pregnant with twins. This was our second cycle. The first time we also transferred 2 embryos, but neither "stuck". Good luck!
  • While I don't think you're being selfish (we're all a little selfish, right?), I can give you some perspective from this side of things.  
    I have 15 month old twins and they are truly a blessing.  I wouldn't change a thing.  However...

We're about to go through our first FET in about 4 weeks and we're only transferring one.  Why?  Because I've seen waaaaay too many complications and losses from twin pregnancies and I'm not about to take that risk intentionally.  Twin pregnancies are hard on Moms, hard on babies, and a good majority of them end up as preemies with other early health complications.  'Trying' for twins is not something I could recommend in good conscience.  I consider myself lucky.  Bedrest and 2, 34 weekers with no remaining health complications.  This is sadly not always the case.  Good luck!
    m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16