January 2016 Moms
Options

UO Thursdays!

My UO:
I don't understand why posting positive pregnancy tests is against the rules and posting ultrasounds is not. I would much rather see a stick than a picture taken up someone else's vagina... It's disgusting!
Yes it's a miracle and I love to look at my own baby, but I don't need to see inside anybody else's body. Ewwww!

Re: UO Thursdays!

• Options
    I would guess because people tend to post postive tests on the TTC board and ultrasounds in the BMB.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My UO: I don't understand why posting positive pregnancy tests is against the rules and posting ultrasounds is not. I would much rather see a stick than a picture taken up someone else's vagina... It's disgusting! Yes it's a miracle and I love to look at my own baby, but I don't need to see inside anybody else's body. Ewwww!
    Positive pregnancy tests are against the rules now??? ha! what BS! This is a pregnancy board after all.
  • Options
    Myelhsa said:

I am not bothered or offended even a little by women who throw their own baby shower. It's become such a cultural norm (in the United States at least) that when there is a baby there is a baby shower.

Actually, if there are women out there that have nobody close enough to them to just pick up the reins and throw a shower, I think those are the mamas that need to be showered the most because they will probably have very little support after the baby is born (some, not all obviously).

Here in Los Angeles, people have them for all their kids and throw their own! I'm so used to it.

I agree with pp, my uo is first trimesters suck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Lizzie5831 It's not something I believe in either BUT I do believe that's its nice to put good stuff like that out into the universe. I always say sending positive thoughts - or something along those lines. I can't remember the last time I said I was praying for someone. My cousin said she would pray for me when I told her I was pregnant and it did rub me wrong but it's what she believes in. So at least she's thinking of me in a positive way right? haha
  • Options
    The pee stick thing can be a sticky situation if it's not clearly positive. I've seen instances of entire groups of women lying that they see something just to keep feeding false hope. It sucks. Nobody wants to be the first one to tell the TTCer that it's a snow-white HPT, an evap line, or that she has line eyes. So for some reason everyone in the thread keeps perpetuating this sort of walking-on-eggshells lie until the OP comes back saying her period started, then the chorus of condolences and oh, next time and maybe it was a chemical starts. It is honestly one of *the weirdest* phenomenon I've ever observed as an adult woman post-Marine Corp "brainwashing" or "reprogramming" (I've had to relearn how to relate to women after).
  • Options
    bananers said:
    I wouldn't go so far as to say ultrasounds are gross, but I do think the pee stick ban is silly. I mean, yes, you peed on it and some may find that gross to think about, but if I show you a picture of my bathroom remodel should I blur out the toilet? Because I peed in that too.
    The HPT issue is two things, really: 1) way too many people think it's acceptable to post their positive test on the TTC boards, which is never acceptable unless you have become a part of that community, and 2) I might be able to see the line or not, but at the end of the day I'm not a trained professional and can't tell you if you're pregnant. The gross thing, eh. I usually say that as more tongue-in-cheek when someone has posted it somewhere they really shouldn't. 

As to ultrasounds, in and of themselves they aren't gross, but all the posting with "hey focus on my child's genitalia for a minute because I have to know rightstatnow if it is a boy or a girl" has a bit of an ick factor.

As to the bathroom remodel, just don't show your recent poo in the toilet, ok? ;)
  • Options
    SullyNSullyN member
    The pee stick thing can be a sticky situation if it's not clearly positive. I've seen instances of entire groups of women lying that they see something just to keep feeding false hope. It sucks. Nobody wants to be the first one to tell the TTCer that it's a snow-white HPT, an evap line, or that she has line eyes. So for some reason everyone in the thread keeps perpetuating this sort of walking-on-eggshells lie until the OP comes back saying her period started, then the chorus of condolences and oh, next time and maybe it was a chemical starts. It is honestly one of *the weirdest* phenomenon I've ever observed as an adult woman post-Marine Corp "brainwashing" or "reprogramming" (I've had to relearn how to relate to women after).
    At one point early on in this pregnancy I was on the Babycenter BMB as well and they had a whole thread on tweaking tests. I was so confused! Women would upload their test and if they couldn't see it others would play with the settings and change the lighting to see if they could see a line. I'll admit I peed on a stick a lot in the beginning with this one. I just couldn't imagine editing somebody's test to tell them and possibly giving them false hope!

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hated it when people told me happy mother's day when I was still pregnant with dd. My reply: "she's not out yet, I'm not a mother yet."
  • Options

I think it's depends on whether the person knows your an atheist or not. If so, yeah, I can see why someone might take offense but if not, the person means no harm. If I'm going through a hard time and someone offers to pray to a God I don't believe in so be it, they mean well.
  • Options
    SparklesCSparklesC member
    edited June 2015
    In regards to the "I will pray for you" to an atheist comment. As a Christian, prayer is the most powerful thing we can do. If someone is offering to take time out of their day to focus on you and pray to their God about your situation, you should be a little more grateful. (Unless its being said in a condescending way, then I get it)

I don't personally believe in "good vibes" but when someone says they will be sending them my way, I don't take offense, because that is what they believe and they mean well.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The pregnancy test rule is stupid, but then again so is asking "Is it a line?" to a bunch of Internet strangers. It is or it isn't, buy a digital if you can't tell what a line is. I can't stand the term "pee sticks" either. It's right up there with constantly referring to yourself as "prego."

Here's a big one: I absolutely loathe the term "furbaby." It makes me cringe every time I see or hear it.
  • Options
    SparklesCSparklesC member
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I really don't like the word "hubby". He's my husband. It's like how some people hate the word "moist". I just hate the sound of it and it feels derogatory. I'd be annoyed if he called me "wifey". Ick. I just gagged.
  • Options
    Paige6410 said:

The pregnancy test rule is stupid, but then again so is asking "Is it a line?" to a bunch of Internet strangers. It is or it isn't, buy a digital if you can't tell what a line is. I can't stand the term "pee sticks" either. It's right up there with constantly referring to yourself as "prego."

Here's a big one: I absolutely loathe the term "furbaby." It makes me cringe every time I see or hear it.

The Wondfo cheapies returned a faint squinter 6 days before the digital showed positive, so I get the whole, "Is it or isn't it a line?" I DON'T get posting it online, though. (And yes, I was obsessively testing at 8dpo, which I know is ridiculous, but it DID return a positive that early.)

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    amargaret24 - YES!!! I just feel overweight and unhealthy not pregnant. My hubs keep saying the same thing - it's o.k. you're pregnant. YEA - except all the people I pass in the store don't know that they just think I'm gross; at least in my irrational mind!!

• Options
    @amargaret24 @dc072175 Add me to the club. I've only gained 2 pounds which is probably all bloat anyway, but I haven't been as active as I normally am so I feel mushy and slug-like. Blah.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    Karenin said:

I hate how everyone wants to post pictures of themselves on the internet post-pregnancy or plus sized, or even just not at a societally ideal weight, being like "I'm BEAUTIFUL." I'm all for body positivity and stopping unrealistic ideas, but I feel like those internet stories/social media posts are basically either daring people to tell you that you are fat or unattractive so you can yell at them, or begging them to tell you you're beautiful. Why do you need the internet for this? Can't we all just find confidence among ourselves/our actual friends/our SO's?

I agree with this. Being obese isn't healthy. That's not to say women who are obese aren't beautiful too, but I would hope they are in the process of trying to get healthy. There's a difference between embracing real curves and real flawed bodies (we are all flawed) - and bragging about something that every doctor in the world would tell you is a danger to your health.

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    bananers said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say ultrasounds are gross, but I do think the pee stick ban is silly. I mean, yes, you peed on it and some may find that gross to think about, but if I show you a picture of my bathroom remodel should I blur out the toilet? Because I peed in that too.

Major lol at the toilet analogy....so true. I don't mind pregnancy test or ultrasound posts!
  • Options
    TVL25TVL25 member

I don't know how anyone could not know they were pregnant until they were in labor....

Until it happened to me!

No, I am not a "troll" nor have I introduced myself yet to this board (my first appt. is Monday) but I have been a member of the Bump community with a previous pregnancy that ended in loss. I love hearing people react to the "I didn't know I was pregnant stories" because no one will ever understand unless they've gone through it. I was 22, knew my body, had irregular periods, used protection, was almost engaged (we were waiting to finish the last semester of college) took pregnancy tests when I thought something was "off" (two separate months, both negative) and it STILL happened. Now my oldest is 7 and I couldn't be more thankful for that experience, scary as it was! When I compare my last 3 pregnancies and 2 births, there is still no way I would have ever known! Every pregnancy is truly different!   

• Options
    UO: Unless it is a licensed service animal, it is NOT OKAY to bring your dog out in public with you. Not to the grocery store, not to your doctor's office, just no. (obviously bringing to the the beach or for a walk or another dog-related activity is not what I am talking about.) I am in my office, and through a wall and a closed door, I can hear a little yippy dog barking like a maniac. Mind you, I work in a health center, so this dog is in the waiting room of a doctor's office. WTF?  
  • Options

UO: Unless it is a licensed service animal, it is NOT OKAY to bring your dog out in public with you. Not to the grocery store, not to your doctor's office, just no. (obviously bringing to the the beach or for a walk or another dog-related activity is not what I am talking about.) I am in my office, and through a wall and a closed door, I can hear a little yippy dog barking like a maniac. Mind you, I work in a health center, so this dog is in the waiting room of a doctor's office. WTF?  

Adding to this, the whole service animal thing is out of control. I totally understand a service dog out of necessity (blindness, disabled, maybe even war vets with ptsd), but so many people take advantage of this. Service hampster? Service miniature pony? No, just no. Pets belong at home, minus going to dog parks and the like. There is a reason that animals aren't just allowed anywhere.
  • Options
    My DH is always like, "If they can push their yippie dog in a stroller, why cant we bring our dog into the store?!??!" (Our dog is a Boarder Collie) -_- Seriously, though. It's dumb. 
    Me:28 DH:35
    Married: 7.23.11
    DD:10.17.12
    EDD #2!:1.17.16 

• Options
    bananersbananers member
    edited June 2015
    Lljbean said:

My DH is always like, "If they can push their yippie dog in a stroller, why cant we bring our dog into the store?!??!" (Our dog is a Boarder Collie) -_- Seriously, though. It's dumb. 

Yes, there is such a double standard for big dogs vs little dogs! I'd never dream of bringing my 60 and 80 lb beasts into a store. Why is it you think your little ankle biters are exempt?

ETA: quote fail.

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    ChipMonsterChipMonster member
    edited June 2015
    Lljbean said:

Oh man do I ever hate seeing dogs in strollers!!! Dogs were meant to walk! I definitely judge people that push their dogs around!

Edit: formatting
  • Options
    SovvySovvy member
    Good news for those of us who can handle drinking in moderation: https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/451623/Pregnant-women-drinking-a-bottle-of-wine-a-month-have-better-behaved-children-says-report "Mothers who drank 90 units or more of alcohol (over entire pregnancy) turn out to be the most well educated and healthiest lifestyle over all."
    Probably why my son is so well behaved!  :))

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • Options
    @Lizzie5831 my mom drank a glass of red wine and ate a whole pineapple every night she was pregnant with me lol. I'll have to show her that article.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  Lilypie Pregnancy tickers