January 2016 Moms
Options

UO Thursdays!

2»

Re: UO Thursdays!

• Options
    UO: Companies that don't provide parental leave just suck.

My office gives me one month off at half pay. Anything after that I have to work out with my boss and will be unpaid. And we just found out my husband's new job doesn't provide any leave. So we're juggling holidays, dates for job interviews and skipping friends weddings so that we have at least a couple weeks off together when the baby arrives. We'll make it work, but it both infuriates me and makes me want to cry that this is what our jobs consider reasonable.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My UO: people name their kids some crazy stuff. I was looking at the baby name thread and couldn't get through more than a couple pages before I had to stop. I keep thinking "these poor kids, their parents are really not thinking this through and how these kids will be teased. These kids will have to live with these crappy names forever!" I'm all for names that aren't common, I have a very common name for my age group, but the crazy spellings of normal names and others you have no idea how to pronounce. Those poor kids...

I interviewed a girl a few weeks ago named "Sparkle".....wtf? Why?!
  • Options
    SovvySovvy member
    We're totally doing a unique name this time. Not yooneek, but it won't be common. Semi-related: I can't stand it when people make fun of international names. If you don't immediately recognize it, google it, see if it's common elsewhere before proclaiming something isn't a name. Open your world a little bit.  :-L /crabbyrant

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • Options

UO: Companies that don't provide parental leave just suck.

My office gives me one month off at half pay. Anything after that I have to work out with my boss and will be unpaid. And we just found out my husband's new job doesn't provide any leave. So we're juggling holidays, dates for job interviews and skipping friends weddings so that we have at least a couple weeks off together when the baby arrives. We'll make it work, but it both infuriates me and makes me want to cry that this is what our jobs consider reasonable.

With our first neither my husband or I got ANY paid time off! I wasn't technically full time so I didn't qualify for it. I used all my sick time and my husband took 1 week. Now I'm a SAHM but my husband will probably only take 1 week again.
    Stupid American laws... Or lack of.
    Good luck @allisonraereeves !!!
  • Options
    UO: for first time parents (my husband and I included) this coming Father's Day is not our first Father's Day, that's next year. Same for this past Mothers Day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I get irrationally angry when people use 'loose' instead of 'lose'. It makes me want to rip my hair out! Other common mix ups don't bother me as much.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    MMLmeow said:

I get irrationally angry when people use 'loose' instead of 'lose'. It makes me want to rip my hair out! Other common mix ups don't bother me as much.

All bad grammar makes me ragey, but your/you're is the worst.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.