June 2015 Moms
Options

Flame Free Friday Questions (FFFQ) - all questions here, no matter how silly, embarrassing or valid

Re: Flame Free Friday Questions (FFFQ) - all questions here, no matter how silly, embarrassing or valid

• Options
    mjschenk said:

Ok so I slipped on my last stair last night and baby is moving and no spotting so I am sure he is fine but man I have the worst carpet burn on my one knee any suggestions on how to make it feel better for this ever so clumsy prego lady?

@mjschenk Second Skin or some other type of hydrogel bandage may also feel good on it. Glad you're ok!
  • Options

What kind of tops should I bring with me to the hospital? I plan on bf'ing and I have nursing tanks and bras, but with random visitors, I feel like I want to be covered more, but I don't have button down shirts/don't really want to buy clothes only to wear at the hospital.

FTM here so I'm totally up for suggestions on this as well. I will say that a few of my good friends who've given birth 2-3 times all recommended comfy lounge pants (dark color in case of bleeding, stains), nursing top, and then a robe or zip up hoodie. They said in those clothes it was easy to BF but they still felt plenty covered when they had guests. So, based on that advice, I've packed black lounge pants and another pair of pajama pants, two nursing tanks and bras, and a soft but lightweight robe to put on when we have company. Also, I had to buy a new pair of inexpensive flip flops to fit my swollen feet. They said that was a necessity as well, for walking halls or going to the bathroom, or getting in the hospital shower.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Getting stressed out about whooping cough bc its been big in my area lately and not everyone in family opted to get thr shot which just really pisses me off...idiots!! What would u guys do when a visitor comes without the shot? Have them wear a mask one doctor suggested? Its so crazy that i have to worry about this! And also curious... How long did ur doctors say ppl had to have shot in advance? Mine said 6 weeks ...seems really far in advance? Im just so worried its actually giving me anxiety :(
  • Options
    Had my appointment this morning and found out I was group B strep positive. I'm really upset bc I planned on laboring at home for a while. My doctor told me not to "dilly dally" when labor starts. So my question is, when do I go in? I forgot to ask him that. I don't want a bunch of false admissions. Can I still do the 5 minute apart rule or I do have to go in with any contractions.
  • Options
    jesshrou said:
    Had my appointment this morning and found out I was group B strep positive. I'm really upset bc I planned on laboring at home for a while. My doctor told me not to "dilly dally" when labor starts. So my question is, when do I go in? I forgot to ask him that. I don't want a bunch of false admissions. Can I still do the 5 minute apart rule or I do have to go in with any contractions.
    Dilly-dally is not a clear instruction from a doctor! Annoying.
    I know. Since I'm a NP I think he just assumes sometimes I know, but I am not in women's health!! I work an hour away from my hospital without traffic and now it's making me more nervous being positive. I guess I'll ask him next week. I don't want to get there too early bc I don't want them to start unnecessary interventions bc I'm not progressing on their schedule, but I don't want to risk an infection to the baby!

I had this same concern when I found out I was GBS+. I want to labor at home too as much as possible. My doc said at minimum the hospital needs an hour before delivery to at least get one dose of antibiotic in (I have to have vancomycin though and not penicillin so may be longer or shorter minimum with penicillin admin) but this is worst case scenario if my labor goes fast. I live an hour from the hospital too. After my last appointment this week, the doctor adjusted my "call time rules" to when contractions are consistently less than 10 mins apart for an hour and pain level is with each contraction is at least a 7 out of 10 or above. This is due to GBS+ and because I am already 4 cm dilated. This really helped me to better time out when to head to the hospital under my specific conditions. 

I am not saying to apply these rules for you as this was just my doctor's instructions and we are all different but I would ask your doc not only for his recommendations on timing but also if your current dilation/effacement makes a difference. I think if I wasnt dilated to 4 already, the 5-1-1 rules would have still applied despite being so far from the hospital and GBS+. 
  • Options
    cbrtncanadiancbrtncanadian member
    edited June 2015
    jesshrou said:

I am + as well. My doctor said to come in immediately if my water breaks. I also have an hour drive to the hospital. I didn't think to ask what if it doesn't break. However I plan to go in whenever contractions are approaching the 5-1-1 rule I won't wait for exactly 5-1-1 though anything close will be sufficient if my water hasn't broken by that point. I'll be sure to ask at my next appointment in case that's not enough of a window.

Edited because thinking is hard..

• Options

What kind of tops should I bring with me to the hospital? I plan on bf'ing and I have nursing tanks and bras, but with random visitors, I feel like I want to be covered more, but I don't have button down shirts/don't really want to buy clothes only to wear at the hospital.

Nursing tanks should be good. I wouldn't buy anything new either. You might also still be wearing the hospital gown, especially if they have to check stitches. Real clothes can be a pain. There is a lot of partial nudity due to feeding and medical checks so you might want to warn visitors or limit visitors to close friends and family.

For me, establishing bf-ing was more important than visitors, so I did what I needed and let my visitors decide how much they wanted to see. Needless to say, my best friend's bf hung out in the hall. :)
  • Options
    ihartbb said:
    Ok so DH and i had sex last night, we've been doing it regularly bc I find him highly attractive with these pregnancy hormones :)) anyway afterwards he said ummm is that part of your mucus plug? There was like a creamyish kinda clumpy white substance on him, it wasn't a mucus plug and it wasn't the consistency of cum....Wtf was that?! It was weird and kinda gross, like cottage cheese almost!!! Grossss!!!!

Could be a yeast infection or maybe some fun regular, discharge. 

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Options
    So i know swollen ankles and feet aren't uncommon but is it weird if just one foot is swelling? I remember someone mentioning that they were only swelling on one side but i dont remember what others said that might be caused by. Thoughts?
  • Options

So i know swollen ankles and feet aren't uncommon but is it weird if just one foot is swelling? I remember someone mentioning that they were only swelling on one side but i dont remember what others said that might be caused by. Thoughts?

@klkonwi or @HayesRN13 ?
  • Options

Only my right foot really swells. My OB has never been concerned.
  • Options
    KaLikeAWindKaLikeAWind member
    edited June 2015

I think it is a 'watch out for' symptom of Pre-E? Sorry to throw out a worrisome something, there. :-S Maybe you have just had it sitting funny for a while?

ETA maybe its only if its extreme swelling. I don't remember
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am going through the same thing! Actually at work with my computer on my lap, feet up, and ice on them!!! I just had an appt yesterday but it came on last night...no other symptoms though. I am figuring I will call tomorrow if it flares again!
  • Options
    It's thankfully not EXTREME at all, it's just noticeably plumper on my left side. My ankles were both ugly last week when i was still commuting. They were definitely better earlier this week but I had to go into the city yesterday for one last day in the office and noticed today that my left foot looked cankle-y while i still have a visible ankle bone on my right foot.

I'm elevating again and will keep an eye on it if it gets worse. I'm hoping that it will subside again after a weekend with little action and I can ask my doc on monday. I'm hoping it's nothing crazy but i always appreciate hearing from you guys... my bump doctors
  • Options
    It's a watch out sign for a DVT, or a blood clot. If you are at a higher risk with a clotting disorder it's definitely a reason to call the doctor.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 i dont have a history of blood clots or any clotting disorder I'm aware of. I'll keep my  eyes on it and call if anything gets worse or doesn't get better after a few hours of elevating.

I seriously don't know what i'd do without you guys! I feel like I have the smartest team of amigos looking out for me. (ps i warned i was feeling emotional today,)
  • Options
    @Mommaswizz
    I posted about one of my feet swelling much more than the other a couple weeks back. But I do have a blood clotting disorder and had to go in for a Doppler to see if I had one. It came back clear for me but I don't know why it would happen otherwise. No one really told me why, they just ruled out a clot.
  • Options
    Thank you @amabarne !! I remember someone had said it was happening to them too. It helps to hear it's not always something serious but I'm definitely watching it just in case. Think i need to drink more water too, i've been slacking today. I appreciate the help!!
  • Options

It's thankfully not EXTREME at all, it's just noticeably plumper on my left side. My ankles were both ugly last week when i was still commuting. They were definitely better earlier this week but I had to go into the city yesterday for one last day in the office and noticed today that my left foot looked cankle-y while i still have a visible ankle bone on my right foot.

I'm elevating again and will keep an eye on it if it gets worse. I'm hoping that it will subside again after a weekend with little action and I can ask my doc on monday. I'm hoping it's nothing crazy but i always appreciate hearing from you guys... my bump doctors

One may be going down quicker than the other but, you've mentioned swelling a lot you may want to ask about it if it doesn't get better soon...like before Monday.

Shew I struggled to get my point out there. Ha.
  • Options

It's a watch out sign for a DVT, or a blood clot. If you are at a higher risk with a clotting disorder it's definitely a reason to call the doctor.

not really... A DVT would be unilateral calf swelling with redness...not unilateral foot/ankle swelling.
  • Options
    My right foot looks like it has elephantitis or club foot :)). It has for about a week now. I think it's just the way LO is sitting. In the earlier stages it was my left foot that swelled more and doc said that was normal be of how our organs sit when there is a baby in us. I don't think that's the same case for the right foot, I'll show my doc on Monday morning just to double check. But for now my right foot just stays more swollen, way more swollen.
  • Options
    upandbelowupandbelow member
    edited June 2015
    Westypet said:

Hospital bag stupid question:
    Should I leave my Snoogle pillow at home if I go in to get induced? It's the main one I sleep with, but I'm assuming it's way too big and bulky for a hospital bed.

Haha, I really am going to be that girl that's coming into the hospital with 1849593 bags of crap. And possibly that's just as silly as LED candles.

I'm bringing my nursing pillow! I don't have a snoogle but have been using the nursing pillow sort of like a body pillow.

Edited because autocorrect sucks
  • Options

Frogger5 said:

hoodoll82 said:

Once DH goes back to work: how long can I leave the baby unattended for safely, if she is asleep? For a pee? A shower? Somewhere in the middle? Do I bring her into the bathroom when I shower?

As long as she's in a safe place, you can leave her for a while, like 20 minutes, we were told. This was in the context of needing to take a break so you don't freak out. If you need more time than that to get it together, you should call someone who can come and help you (obviously if you can). Even if she's crying the whole time (which is why you need the break!) she will be fine.

Seems like a long time, but apparently taking a break is better in the long run than feeling like you cannot do anything alone, being overwhelmed, and something bad happening. I know that's not exactly what you asked, but I guess it's still valid! Also FTM, so I realize it might be hard to actually leave a newborn alone, just passing on what we learned in one of our baby classes!
    To add to this! At my prenatal course the instructor said 'if baby is crying that means baby is breathing, go ahead and finish your shower!' I hadn't thought of it that way before and kind of made me relax
    That's a good point I think. At our antenatal class they said similar things -in particular if you've tried everything and the baby is still crying, set them down in a safe place and walk away for 5-10mins. Better for your sanity and therefore safer for baby.

• Options
    Fear of being induced question...if you only dialate a few centimeters and they send you home would you be more likely to go into labor on your own or are repeat inductions usually needed?
  • Options
    I see everyone mentioning the 5-1-1 rule... But at my last appointment they mentioned it being a 3-1-1 rule... I should have asked How come everyone on The Bump gets to go in at 5-1-1? But I didn't. I just nodded my head and moved on. Anyone else being told 3 minutes apart vs 5 minutes?
  • Options

I see everyone mentioning the 5-1-1 rule... But at my last appointment they mentioned it being a 3-1-1 rule... I should have asked How come everyone on The Bump gets to go in at 5-1-1? But I didn't. I just nodded my head and moved on. Anyone else being told 3 minutes apart vs 5 minutes?

My hospital does 3
  • Options
    I've never had a major surgery before, but I've heard if you do that you can't have your nails painted because they look at your nails and if they turn blue you could be choking or having lack of oxygen. I'd like to squeeze in one last mani/pedi before LO gets here but don't want to spend the money if I'm going to have to take the polish off if I do wind up with a c section. Anyone know if this is true?
  • Options
    KarasTwin said:

I've never had a major surgery before, but I've heard if you do that you can't have your nails painted because they look at your nails and if they turn blue you could be choking or having lack of oxygen. I'd like to squeeze in one last mani/pedi before LO gets here but don't want to spend the money if I'm going to have to take the polish off if I do wind up with a c section. Anyone know if this is true?

You should be fine for a section, maybe do a French manicure :) but many of our sections nails are painted..
  • Options
    devyns2nd said:

Fear of being induced question...if you only dialate a few centimeters and they send you home would you be more likely to go into labor on your own or are repeat inductions usually needed?

GOOD QUESTION!
  • Options
    I have not felt any contractions that I know of. This afternoon while being monitored it showed that I was having them. I am home now and having sharp random pains in my lower abdomen. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would those be contractions? It's weird because they are just random sharp pains and I thought contractions I would feel for longer.
  • Options
    KarasTwin said:

Just looking at the fingers wouldn't be accurate enough, but they do put a probe on your finger that measures your oxygen levels. I have heard that certain colours of nail polish can affect it (green in particular I think) and I'd probably avoid thick gel or acrylic nails too for that reason.
  • Options
    @devyns2nd Not necessarily. That is so unpredictable. No one could really tell you that. Our bodies are crazy and you never know!

As for the nails ...... It doesn't matter.
    I've never taken the time to take off someone's nail polish. It's more of an issue in the elderly who are predisposed to oxygen problems or high risk etc.....
  • Options
    KarasTwin said:

I have acrylic nails and got the French manicure so they could see the moons of my nails and was told this would be fine. I did the same thing with DD but it might vary by hospital
  • Options
    @Mommaswizz , I forget where you originally posted about having to go into work yesterday and maybe having a meeting from 5-6pm, but was it a meeting? Or a surprise party like you suspected?? Sorry if you answered this somewhere else!
  • Options
    @KarasTwin I had my appt today and she said I have to take off all my nail polish and no jewelry, guess it's different everywhere
  • Options
    so.. can someone tell me what ETA stands for?

im not sure if what ive been using it for is different than what it could actually mean.
  • Options

so.. can someone tell me what ETA stands for?

im not sure if what ive been using it for is different than what it could actually mean.

It means "edited to add" - you put it to explain what you added to your message. Sometimes it's annoying to see a message has been edited but not know what was changed.