June 2015 Moms

Awkward/ Uncomfortable/ Hurtful Conception Conversations

Does anyone else out there in Bump Land have a conception story they just don't want to share with people who may ask? I mean, it isn't as though people are asking about your sex life in direct terms, but... questions/comments such as, 'Oh, you must have timed this so perfectly?' or 'Did it take you long to get pregnant?' or a whole host of other questions indirectly asks about, well, your sex life. As some women on here know, my conception story was traumatic and I hate even perfectly-innocent questions/comments that get spoken sometimes. Anyhow, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing that. 

I caught up with an old friend today, and after some attempts at me deflecting, I felt like there was no 'good' explanation as to how this baby came to be other than the truth. Now I'm in a funk, depressed, and feeling discouraged... 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Awkward/ Uncomfortable/ Hurtful Conception Conversations

• Totally ^^

We are in our 30's and got pregnant on our honeymoon (Vegas and crown and cokes I guess) and we had family actually pull out phones and count backwards and question us. Wtf! Due date is exact on our honeymoon day so Ha!
  • Loading the player...
  • akaniniakanini member
    Yes it's annoying. I've been with my husband for 8 years before conceiving. Only a few people who are close to us ask but my excuse is that I was always in school. But really, ITS NOONE'S BUSINESS.
  • KreslaKresla member
    I always feel bad when I talk with people who tried for years or are still trying. My husband and I were able to get pregnant during our first month of trying. I was scared we would take forever due to my DH having some ED issues. I'm still shocked that we managed it! However, I had told my mother we were going to try and felt bad when we actually got pregnant. I came early in my parents marriage and they waited to try for more kids. I was 6 when they started trying again. They tried for 6 years and finally gave up only to discover they were pregnant when I was 18 and a senior in high school. Now I have an 8 year old sister.
  • Steph0727 said:
    My husband is 25 and I am 24. This baby was not planned, but we were planning on starting to try in the next year anyway... I always feel judged because I look younger than I am and people always make comments to us. The thing I don't understand is that it is none of your business, so why do you care if he was planned or not? DH and I have been together for 7 years, married for almost 2, own a house, both have college degrees and are financially stable. At first I was so "ashamed" because others made me feel that way so I would lie and say we planned it. But now, I just don't care. I call LO our happy surprise.

The most awkward comment came from MIL. On our anniversary she said "I bought you guys a card game because you have clearly done everything else so you might be bored." Gee, thanks. It was so awkward we just stood there in shock.
    :-w
    Oh. My. Gawd. Wow! Lovely comment from MIL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I get how y'all feel! I had some questions asked how and when we did it because we got married on Sept 6th. Due date WAS 12th. Now it is 5th. It was awkward when S-MIL was announcing to others that we must have did it the day before. Mind you...I was staying with my family and friends, duh! Then other questions were being asked. It's like...uhm...we are married! Two times my dh mom had whoopies...I didn't so ask her that questions. Lol
  • Totally ^^ We are in our 30's and got pregnant on our honeymoon (Vegas and crown and cokes I guess) and we had family actually pull out phones and count backwards and question us. Wtf! Due date is exact on our honeymoon day so Ha!

This happened to me exactly. People were like 'ooooh busy on your honeymoon eh'.
    She was unplanned but not exactly. I had been on the pill for 20 years and my gynecologist actually said with my previous history likely would be waiting a while......first cycle off and bam. I had one person literally tell me my exact date of conception! (she wasn't wrong but kinda creepy)