January 2016 Moms
Options

Is everyone getting ultrasounds?!

3rd time mom here, and with my last 2, ultrasounds didn't happen until the big 20 week ultrasound. Have things changed? Seems like everyone is getting a first tri dating scan. My first appointment is next week at 7weeks and I would be so excited to see baby!

Re: Is everyone getting ultrasounds?!

• Options
    No :(
    My current doctors office won't let me have a peek until 12wks :(
  • Options
    TRA0816TRA0816 member
    I had one at 7 weeks, check for baby and heartbeat
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They don't do "early u/s" at my dr. I do however have my first scan at 10 weeks. When I switch to my midwife, she only does one scan and that's at 20 weeks
  • Options
    bkc92bkc92 member
    I'll be getting an ultrasound. At least I think. They did one with DS, so I assume I will be getting one
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm in the high risk category for my age (37 1/2) so I had one at 7.5 weeks and I have another at 10 weeks.
  • Options
    I am in the uk and we only get them at 12 and 20 weeks. That said I am paying for a private one around the 8 week mark it's £65 which us about $90 - includes video and as many pictures as I like. I am doing it to put my mind at rest and so we can tell our children before we tell the rest if the world at 12weeks. Xxx
  • Options
    RoztoffRoztoff member
    I had one at 5.4 weeks. Was too excited. Going again at 7 weeks to hear strong heartbeat.
  • Options
    emzie54emzie54 member
    My practice said that I might get one at my first appt 8wks5days, but I also might not. I really hope they do one. I'm not sure what they use to determine who gets one and who doesn't, but I want one!
  • Options
    adcc43adcc43 member
    At my doc office they give a transvaginal between 8-10 weeks, offer an optional genetic scan with blood work at 12 weeks, and the 20 week anatomy scan. With my previous 2 pregnancies we opted out of the 12 week scan.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm having my first at 6 weeks but I'm high risk and have a IUI baby or babies....will find out next week
  • Options
    My hospital does an US for everyone at 10 weeks.
  • Options
    I have my first prenatal appointment scheduled for June 18th and I'll be 8 weeks! I hope we are able to get an ultrasound and hear the heartbeat! But I've also heard they don't normally do them that early unless you are high risk and they make you wait for week 10-13. I hope I don't have to wait that long! :D
  • Options
    Yep, il have one when I go at 8w3d. I would have had it this week, but there were no open appointments for the u/s machine.
  • Options
    My office does dating/viability scans standard for every pregnancy, usually around 8 weeks. I'll have mine on the 11th at 8+6. We also do the NT scan, which they do around 12 weeks-ish. We'll also end up paying for an u/s at 16 weeks to find out the sex early, but that's just for fun :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    SovvySovvy member
    My previous two pregnancies I didn't have an ultrasound until 12 weeks. This time is different because of my later loss.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • Options
    EmXaEmXa member
    In my province you only get 1 u/s the whole pregnancy at 20 weeks.
  • Options
    MiliskaMiliska member
    In my province, we get one u/s at 12 weeks then at 20 weeks. I hear a lot of women are having dating u/s as well though and I'm a bit jealous... I'm feeling so good right now I almost not even feel pregnant, so I can't wait to see that my baby is fine!!
  • Options
    I had a date scan at 6 weeks 3 days as myself and dr were confused about conception date
  • Options
    jblood1jblood1 member
    I am getting one at six weeks and five days. I read you can't hear the heartbeat with the Doppler until 10 to 12 weeks. Do you think I will be able to hear the heartbeat?!
  • Options
    My dr's office typically does them at 8-10 weeks, the optional nt scan at 12 weeks, and then the anatomy scan at 18-20 weeks. I ended up getting one early at 6 weeks 4 days because of my previous miscarriage and since we found out it is twins, I will have more ultrasounds than normal this pregnancy.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    This is my first baby, my first ultrasound is today at 7 weeks :)
  • Options
    nlwz123nlwz123 member
    I'm getting the dating scan at 6 weeks.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options
    jblood1 said:

I am getting one at six weeks and five days. I read you can't hear the heartbeat with the Doppler until 10 to 12 weeks. Do you think I will be able to hear the heartbeat?!

That's why my doctors office won't let me have an u/s.
    But that's not correct- check out the first ultrasound photo thread. You'll see ladies who are 5wks+ sharing their pictures.
    And I know PLENTY of ladies who have had ultrasounds at 6wks.

• Options
    I also have my first prenatal appointment on June 18th and I will be 8 weeks. They don't usually do first ultrasounds until 11-14 weeks here unless you are high risk. :)
  • Options

jblood1 said:

That's why my doctors office won't let me have an u/s.
    But that's not correct- check out the first ultrasound photo thread. You'll see ladies who are 5wks+ sharing their pictures.
    And I know PLENTY of ladies who have had ultrasounds at 6wks.

Yes you can't hear the heartbeat until at least 10 weeks with a Doppler. You can see a heartbeat on an ultrasound as early as 6 weeks.

For my previous two it was standard just to have the 20 week anatomy scan. I've since moved and my new practice does a 8-10 week dating scan.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    SparklesCSparklesC member
    edited May 2015
    jblood1 said:

My doctors office told me yesterday that they can see the flicker of the heartbeat, but cannot always hear it until later on.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Nope...2 more weeks I was told they wouldn't see me until I was 8 to 10 weeks :(...can't wait :)
  • Options
    enkbenkb member

My midwife doesn't typically see you before 10-12 weeks, and she doesn't recommend an ultrasound except the 20 week one.  Although I certainly understand that for a lot of women seeing it as soon as possible helps, but for me I wouldn't want the stress of being off about my ovulation and spending weeks terrified that something was wrong when it is actually fine.  I think in most places if you are high risk or really persistent, you can get an early one, even if your insurance might not cover it.

• Options
    cyanopecyanope member
    My doctor normally does a 10 week dating scan, but I had one at 7 weeks because of a previous loss. 
  • Options
    Because of my insurance, I get checkups and/or ultrasounds every four weeks until 20/25 weeks and then it's every two weeks. At 30/35 weeks it's weekly. I just wish it wasn't an hour away. :(
  • Options
    My first ultrasound was at six weeks and 2 days, where we were able to see the heart beat.
  • Options
    I had one today at 6 weeks! I saw the heart fluttering and heard it!!! Amazing :-)
  • Options
    My first 2 I didn't get an ultrasound until 20 weeks but today I had an appointment and I'm 7 weeks today. They looked for the heartbeat which was strong and told me their is only one baby and then measured the baby and said my expected due date was right. The doctor said an ultrasound is better this early to look for the heartbeat.
  • Options
    I was supposed to have my first one at 12w but Doc scheduled me for one early b/c I had severe cramping, so they just checked to make sure baby was alright
  • Options
    amt20amt20 member
    I had a previous loss so i had an u/s at 6w1d to verify viable pregnancy. I requested another one the day of my 1st prenatal appt, which is on monday so i will have another scan at 8w4d. And then i will get a scan at 12w and i think around 20w as well.
  • Options
    svnna94svnna94 member
    At 8w (next Wednesday) I'll be going in to go over blood work and have a peek at little beans heartbeat
  • Options
    BabyO1101BabyO1101 member
    edited May 2015
    @jblood1 Good luck! You might not be able to hear the heartbeat that early, but you will probably be able to see the heartbeat. It shows up as a flicker on the screen. Maybe my doc just didn't have the sound turned up, though. I went at 6 weeks for some bleeding and they were just barely able to see a flicker. Then I went at 8 weeks and there was that heart beat flicker - strong and healthy. Sending you positive vibes.
  • Options
    Im high risk and having ultrasounds at 6, 7, and 8 weeks. Not sure after that.
  • Options
    Meg0810Meg0810 member
    I live in Ireland and the first is usually 12 weeks, but I will have one at 8 because of a previous miscarriage.
  • Options
    I had my first ultra sound yesterday...at 5w1d. It depends on the doctor if they want to do an early one. I am not a high risk, but my doctor likes doing an early one to best determine the due date ( especially if you have irregular periods) and check that everything is forming properly. We saw a small sack and a tiny lil speck forming in the middle! Since it's still so small, I am going back for another ultra sound in two weeks so they can re-measure and get a more accurate due date ( and hopefully see a heart beat!)