Eco-Friendly Family

Eco-Friendly Live Chat with Tom's of Maine & The Green Mama HERE!

bumptarabumptara admin
edited April 2015 in Eco-Friendly Family
Hi Bumpies! We are so glad you’re joining us for today’s live chat on eco-friendly parenting.

Today, from 1-2pm EDT, a brand expert from Tom’s of Maine and Manda, also known as The Green Mama, will be in THIS thread to answer all of your questions.

A little bit about The Green Mama:

Manda Aufochs Gillespie is a consultant, writer, environmentalist, mother, and author of Green Mama: Giving your child a healthy start and a greener future. In her 20 years as an ecological designer she has helped green a large midwestern daycare, an orphanage in Guatemala, one of the world’s only urban ecovillages, and has been dubbed the “green guru” by the media, appearing on HBO, ABC, and CBC. She lives in Vancouver, British Columbia. Visit her website at thegreenmama.com.

To ask The Green Mama a question, tag her handle @TheGreenMama. If you have a question for Tom’s of Maine, just tag their handle @TomsOfMaine.

@BumpTara and @BumpCaitlin will be on hand to help with any tech issues during the chat. Just page or PM one of the them and they’ll be able to help you!

Don’t forget - one lucky participant will win a $300 Babies ‘R Us gift card, and a prize pack from Tom’s of Maine! Looking forward to seeing you at 1pm EST.

Re: Eco-Friendly Live Chat with Tom's of Maine & The Green Mama HERE!

• I'm so excited for a lively conversation in just a little over an hour. Just an example of the kind of questions I get on my website and at talks....
    "What about air filters?"
    "Humidifier versus Vaporizer?"
     "My kids school.... what can I do?"
     "Is organic food really that important? Well, what do I do about it on a budget?"
    "DIY skincare ideas?"
    "Breastfeeding! I didn't. What now?"
    "Breastfeeding. I do. What now?"
    "My baby is teething. What's safe? I'm going crazy. Help!" 

And so much more! Stop by for a chat!
  • Hi, this is my first time here. Am I in the right place for the live chat?
  • Loading the player...
  • @TomsOfMaine My husband and I are obsessed with your adult products (I just bought your toothpaste and mouthwash last night), but we didn't know you had items for little ones. We're expecting our first in July, so what products do you carry that you would recommend for new parents? Either for us or the baby...
  • TomsOfMaine I recently started using your toothpaste, my daughter likes to just suck on the toothbrush. Is this okay for her to do? We give her a grain size of toothpaste.

• Dee719 said:

Hi, this is my first time here. Am I in the right place for the live chat?

Hi @Dee719, welcome :) You are in the right place. Feel free to ask @tomsofmaine and @thegreenmama any questions!
  • @TheGreenMama What are some EASY DIY skincare ideas for my LO?

• Dee719 said:

Hi, this is my first time here. Am I in the right place for the live chat?

Yes - welcome to the chat!

• How does this work? Am I supposed to hear anything or is it all text?

• I use Barrier Cream
  • I just signed in as well, look forward to the discussions.
  • To introduce myself, this is Liz.  I work at Tom's of Maine on the new Baby items.  I have a 2.5 yo and another on the way!  Would be happy to answer any questions, looking forward to the chat!

• @TheGreenMama..Perfect! Thank you. @TomsofMaine and @TheGreenMama, how are your products different than those of other products I would normally purchase? I am currently teaching my toddler on teeth brushing. Do you happen to have products that are Fluoride free? 
  • Do you recommend warm or cool mist humidifies, and do they really work. I started using a cool one, but even though I clean it everyday get's damp and is forming a red, residue. I try diluted vinegar to clean it, but only stays clean for 1 day, then it appears again.

• Do we reply to the question or post a reply here?
  • Hi! Thanks for having us! Is the chat taking place here?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dee719 said:

@TheGreenMama..Perfect! Thank you. @TomsofMaine and @TheGreenMama, how are your products different than those of other products I would normally purchase? I am currently teaching my toddler on teeth brushing. Do you happen to have products that are Fluoride free? 

Yes! Our NEW Toddler Training toothpaste is fluoride-free and appropriate for teaching your toddler teeth brushing! You can find out more on our website.
  • At what age do you recommend children first visiting the dentist?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kemaes said:

@TomsOfMaine My husband and I are obsessed with your adult products (I just bought your toothpaste and mouthwash last night), but we didn't know you had items for little ones. We're expecting our first in July, so what products do you carry that you would recommend for new parents? Either for us or the baby...

We have just released Baby Shampoo & Wash, Baby Lotion, Diaper Cream, and Sunscreen. Congratulations on expecting!
  • Also, my daughter just turned 2 years old...is it time for her to switch from floride free toothpaste to regular toothpaste (w/floride)?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • TomsOfMaine I recently started using your toothpaste, my daughter likes to just suck on the toothbrush. Is this okay for her to do? We give her a grain size of toothpaste.

We would recommend using a fluoride-free toothpaste if your child is swallowing any of it. You can check out our NEW toddler training toothpaste on our website!
  • @TheGreenMama, how would you recommend the best way on teaching a toddler on teeth brushing? With my son, I had no issues. My daughter, on the other hand, is another story. Each time I brush her teeth, she would scream bloody murder. She does attempt herself, however, as I try to go in after her to finish up (ensuring her teeth are thoroughly cleaned), she won't allow me and screams as if I am hurting her. What to do?? 
  • Dee719 said:

@TheGreenMama..Perfect! Thank you. @TomsofMaine and @TheGreenMama, how are your products different than those of other products I would normally purchase? I am currently teaching my toddler on teeth brushing. Do you happen to have products that are Fluoride free? 

We just saw the first part to your question. Our products do not contain any parabens, phthalates or phenoxyethanol!
  • At what age should we start flossing with them? Any tips or tricks to make it easier? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In home day-care or daycare center, which is better to care for you little ones while at work?
  • @TomsofMaine, my daughter is two as well and she sucks more of the toothpaste than actually brushing. This is why I continue to use fluoride free paste. However, she likes to follow her brother and use mouthwash as well. Is it OK for her to use mouthwash at this age? She does spit it out and I usually dilute it a bit with water. 
  • @TomsofMaine, I use your deoderant and toothpaste. I look forward to trying your baby products for my toddler.
  • Do you offer coupons for your products? If so where can we get them?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @thegreenmama: I live in CA, and. As you may know we are experiencing a devastating drought. How would you recommend that I leave a green life with our baby girl and still be conscious of the environment and the drought? Any tips?
  • Dee719 said:

One of my FAVORITE things about Tom's is they're cruelty-free. I know it may not be a top-priority for some, but Tom's doesn't test on animals and they don't use animal ingredients. This was huge for me in 2011 when I decided to start buying only cruelty-free products. I still use Tom's today because of this:)
  • Dee719 said:

At what age should we start flossing with them? Any tips or tricks to make it easier? 

We recommend checking with your child's dentist to see if they are ready to floss. We hear from a lot of parents that brush and floss with their kids! Set an example by doing it yourself and your children will try to follow!
  • @thegreenmama i try and get my four year old to brush his teeth for the proper what is it two minutes, i even brush mine at the same time. His two year old brother will brush his teeth forever if he could. What do you recommend doing to get him to brush his teeth longer than 30 seconds ?
  • Hi there! Welcome. Easy DIY skincare tips are some of my favourite. I like to keep it super simple. When I'm at home, I just use my own--plain soap and water on the bum--for instance or a little coco or coconut or sesame oil on the skin. I have some specific recipes too if you want them?!

And when I am shopping for products, I read the ingredients to make sure everything is so pure, it's edible. Our babies skin can absorb 90% of what goes on it!
  • Dee719 said:

@TomsofMaine, my daughter is two as well and she sucks more of the toothpaste than actually brushing. This is why I continue to use fluoride free paste. However, she likes to follow her brother and use mouthwash as well. Is it OK for her to use mouthwash at this age? She does spit it out and I usually dilute it a bit with water. 

Our Children's Anticavity mouthwash is recommended for age 6+. You may want to check in with your pediatrician or pediatric dentist for more advice on a product she can use!
  • Good to know! Thanks for that answer...my toddler sometimes does the same
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Do you offer coupons for your products? If so where can we get them?

We run coupons in select Sunday newspapers a few times a year. Please like us on Facebook for a heads up when these are available!
  • Thanks! I will definitely check out your Facebook page :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @TomsofMaine, I use your deoderant and toothpaste. I look forward to trying your baby products for my toddler.

Thank you! I've been using these products on my daughter and they've been a bit hit! -Liz
  • I recommend starting to floss right away. I know, perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but I just had to get four cavities filled in my 4-year-old so I have become a big fan of it now. She does it herself, but our dentist taught us how to lie her down between our legs, facing her head, with her arms tucked under my legs. Then, I can brush and floss and she can't resist. She came to really like it!
  • @TomsofMaine what is a good age for children to start wearing deodorant? Or does this depend on the child?