June 2015 Moms
Options

names?

Re: names?

• Options
    HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited March 2015

hoodoll82 said:

Would love some perspective. DH and I recently realized we both love the name Evelyn. It fits our criteria of traditional but not too popular.

The only potentially weird thing is that DH's aunt by marriage is named Evelyn, but she has never gone by it and goes by Lynn.

We are trying to keep potential names a secret, but if you were us, would you give the aunt a heads up? Ironically she does not like the name which is why she's never used it in full. We would not shorten it to Lynn for our daughter. It would also mean there are two Evelyn "Smith"s in the family. Is that too weird? (Ps last name not actually Smith but you get what I mean).

We think it's probably all fine but I'd love some outside perspective.

I don't think I'd worry about telling her. She's 2 generations removed from your LO and doesn't go by the full name so I doubt she'd be upset by it (and if she were, would you reconsider using the name?). Every family is different of course, though - in mine sharing names is not a big deal at all so I didn't give it a second thought when we chose to give our baby the same first name as one of my cousins.

Another thing to consider is if you tell the aunt, chances are other people will find out the name. If you want to keep the baby's name a secret until she's born, all the more reason to not give a head's up.

ETA also, yay for potentially finding a front runner for the name! I know you guys had been having trouble finding something you both love :) now... do you still need a middle name, or have you had one picked out?

Thanks! I don't even know what might go with Evelyn. It's tough bc the "Lyn" part of the name already sounds like a middle name. So it needs to flow. I'll probably still lobby for Pearl since it's my fave but DH is not for it - and it's s meaningful name for a June baby!

As for the name being a secret, it's really only because my family is super-duper opinionated so we are trying to avoid that mess :)
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

hoodoll82 said:

Would love some perspective. DH and I recently realized we both love the name Evelyn. It fits our criteria of traditional but not too popular.

The only potentially weird thing is that DH's aunt by marriage is named Evelyn, but she has never gone by it and goes by Lynn.

We are trying to keep potential names a secret, but if you were us, would you give the aunt a heads up? Ironically she does not like the name which is why she's never used it in full. We would not shorten it to Lynn for our daughter. It would also mean there are two Evelyn "Smith"s in the family. Is that too weird? (Ps last name not actually Smith but you get what I mean).

We think it's probably all fine but I'd love some outside perspective.

I don't think I'd worry about telling her. She's 2 generations removed from your LO and doesn't go by the full name so I doubt she'd be upset by it (and if she were, would you reconsider using the name?). Every family is different of course, though - in mine sharing names is not a big deal at all so I didn't give it a second thought when we chose to give our baby the same first name as one of my cousins.

Another thing to consider is if you tell the aunt, chances are other people will find out the name. If you want to keep the baby's name a secret until she's born, all the more reason to not give a head's up.

ETA also, yay for potentially finding a front runner for the name! I know you guys had been having trouble finding something you both love :) now... do you still need a middle name, or have you had one picked out?

Thanks! I don't even know what might go with Evelyn. It's tough bc the "Lyn" part of the name already sounds like a middle name. So it needs to flow. I'll probably still lobby for Pearl since it's my fave but DH is not for it - and it's s meaningful name for a June baby!

As for the name being a secret, it's really only because my family is super-duper opinionated so we are trying to avoid that mess :)
    Ooh Evelyn Pearl is really pretty! I hope you can talk him into it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Charlie Jane
  • Options

Charlie Jane

For a boy or a girl?

• Options
    I like Maxine (Max) if this baby is a girl. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Since she doesn't even like the name, I don't think she is going to care if you use it or not. Besides, she is the aunt 'by marriage' so she technically isn't a relation at all. And PP had a point - if she did mind, would that honestly make you decide to not use it? It's a nice, classic name and I think it's lovely
  • Options
    Ashland Vella
  • Options
    Our little boy is going to be Henry James. Henry is my dad's first name and James is FILs first name. Both of them go by their middle names, but we liked those together. He'll be the first grandson on both sides
  • Options
    Jackson William. William is my husbands and FILs name.
  • Options
    KarasTwin said:

Our little boy is going to be Henry James. Henry is my dad's first name and James is FILs first name. Both of them go by their middle names, but we liked those together. He'll be the first grandson on both sides

Hooray to traditional, cute names! And after a great author, too!
  • Options
    amark11 said:

KarasTwin said:

Hooray to traditional, cute names! And after a great author, too!
    Thanks, @amark11! We both love traditional, family names. For a girl we had picked Nora Elizabeth after one of my great grandmothers and Elizabeth was my granny's name. It's also my middle name and my neice's middle name. My sister and I agreed to use it as a middle name for our daughters so if we are blessed with a little girl one day, I already know what her name will be.
  • Options
    Brooke Lynn

Help me out here. My husband is in love with the name but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I just don't know how I feel about having my daughter be a clever play on words for a city in New York (Brooklyn). Am I being picky or is it actually nice? (I like Brooke and Lynn individually)
  • Options
    We are naming our baby boy Evan Gray!!!
  • Options
    mvargas12 said:

Brooke Lynn

Help me out here. My husband is in love with the name but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I just don't know how I feel about having my daughter be a clever play on words for a city in New York (Brooklyn). Am I being picky or is it actually nice? (I like Brooke and Lynn individually)

I agree with you 100%, all around. It is personally not my style. But if you can't change DH's mind and you're ok with it, at least Lynn is the actual middle name, rather than a double first name. So she would most often just be Brooke, which is pretty. (And with the traditional E.)

I kept torturing DH that I liked the name BerLynn, since we are currently living in Germany (like the city Berlin). Was totally kidding, but many people like these names...
  • Options
    @mvargas12, I usually don't comment about names since its so subjective, but I think you have valid hesitation about the name combination.  One thing I'd suggest is to make sure your spouse is also thinking of how its very likely your daughter will hear the Brooklyn comment each time someone learns of her middle name (not like that's often in life, but still).  Either way you go, of course you'll want to make sure you both enjoy whatever names you two go with.
  • Options
    @mvargas12 just as much as the whole Brooklyn thing for me is that both names are one syllable- doesn't really "flow". Maybe you can sell DH on something close to Lynn like Evelyn or catelyn?
  • Options
    Penelope Elizabeth ♡
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    mvargas12 said:

Brooke Lynn

Definitely understand your hesitation. Brooke Lynn is actually one of the few city-inspired names that I like (though, if I were to use it, I think I'd go with the spelling Brookelynne with a completely different middle name - I really like e's at the end of names haha). That being said, I would only use a geographically-inspired name if I lived in that location or had some special tie to it. Otherwise I think it would feel ingenuine. So, to answer your question, while I do like the name, I don't think you're being picky. If your gut says veto it, do it!
  • Options
    @mvargas12 I agree with above posters. If you guys have an attachment to the city of Brooklyn, go for it, but if not, I'd avoid it. She will literally get that question for the rest of her life.
  • Options
    King Angelo Jae
  • Options
    We are doing Roman Glenn. Glenn after my dad who was named after my great uncle. I've had several people actually tell me no don't use Roman because they don't like the name. Everyone in my family loves it but this one friend is really trying to change our minds
  • Options
    Umm.. I like the names seperatly... kids could be mean and even though we should teach our kids to be strong individuals, do we really want to give our kids reasons to get picked on? I agree follow your gut feeling.. I definitely love Brokee..
  • Options
    I am naming my little one Gabriela... :)
  • Options
    Vella Helen - Vella is DH's great grandmother's name & Helen is my grandmother's name. 
  • Options
    Bryce Caleb : )
  • Options
    I know a lot of girls named Brooklyn and not once have I ever heard them get made fun of or asked about the city of Brooklyn. It's a pretty common name and most people don't even think of it in the form of the city when it's someone's name. if you want your kid to be Brooke Lynn then go for it. It's not like everyone will know her middle name anyway.. I think it's pretty.
  • Options
    Beckett Nash for a boy and Stella Noelle for a girl.
    It's so hard being team green, but so exciting at the same time :)
  • Options
    We have decided on Samuel for our boy. It means 'God's gift' and he was definitely prayed for.
  • Options
    Braydon James.

We both loved Braydon, and James is DH first name.
  • Options
    Anakin Lee
  • Options
    Argyle Lesley. Gyle for short
  • Options
    Cassidy Ann
  • Options
    Maxwell Joseph
  • Options
    Leo Robert :) 
  • Options
    Nikolas Andrew
  • Options
    Ella Rose <3
  • Options

Ella Rose <3

My oldest is Ella Rose! :)

This baby will be Nora Grace.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Vera Eviana. I have had such a hard time deciding, but I think this is finally it. I wanted unique, not in the top 100, without any family names. I kept sharing my choices with family and friends and realized it was making it harder for me to decide bc of judgements. This one I am keeping to myself until she is born!