September 2015 Moms
Options

Natural birth, less recovery time??

I'm planning on having an epidural. Now, hearing from different people that a natural birth equals less recovery time, I'm having doubts. Ladies, what are your thoughts? I guess this will be my main question to my doctor at the 20 weeks check up.

Re: Natural birth, less recovery time??

• Options
    I had an epidural and was up after skin to skin for an hour. No reason to get up before that.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard the same thing. If the birth is non medicated, the recovery time is shorter. I'm curious as to how true this is too, being a FTM. Idk if I'd take my OB's word on the truth of this statement or not though, because most OBs seem to push the medication. I'd love to hear some opinions from mom's who've had both!
  • Options
    I had an epidural recovery time wasn't that bad. I had some bleeding afterward that caused a longer recovery. Honestly is what you can do. If you don't believe you can push full strength without any medicine get the medicine. Don't put your child at risk just to do a natural birth. Had a sister in law who did that. Both are fine but it was a stressful birth. Just be go with the flow. Nothing goes as planned.
  • Options
    @shaunnarose If you don't trust your OB to give you the best advice, then I would find someone else. With all of my primary doctors, I need someone who is on the same wavelength as myself.
  • Options
    My dr says do what you feel is best for you...she's all for unmediated for me this time bc I had one of the horror story epidurals with my second but with my first it was perfect and wonderful!!

If you choose to go unmedicated look up the Bradley birthing method. Good luck!
  • Options
    I don't know, this is such a hard question to answer. I've had 3 unmedicated deliveries and had an amazing recovery with the first two (up walking quickly, felt like a million bucks right after, was ready to do it again almost immediately). My third...well, not so much. It took me a good month to feel better and the delivery was almost identical to my 2nd. Short (only maybe 2ish hours of really hard contractions, pushed maybe 2-3 times and she was out) I had a very minor tear (pushed a bit too fast) that needed 1 stitch but I had the same with my first and no issues afterward. I don't know if it was because I had long bouts of prodromal labor beforehand, if it was because it was just my 3rd delivery and my body was tired, because the 2&3rd were closer together (15 months apart). I just felt awful. Needed pain meds, felt like I'd been hit by a bus, etc. I actually got the most rest after #3 as compared to #1&2 where I was back to my normal activity level basically the next day.

I also know plenty of friends who have had epidurals and had awesome quick recoveries similar to my 1st & 2nd. There are just too many variables that go into this. I will say an unmedicated delivery is generally faster and you generally push more efficiently which can mean less exhaustion, less likely to tear, etc. So in general, yes unmedicated = faster recovery but it's not always the case.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

@shaunnarose If you don't trust your OB to give you the best advice, then I would find someone else. With all of my primary doctors, I need someone who is on the same wavelength as myself.

I just meant OBs in general seem to be pro medicated birth so I'd rather get some unbiased opinions of mom's who've been there. My OB clinic is great and at one of the top birthing hospitals in the country. I just an weary of biased opinions lol.
  • Options
    @KYmama9286 That was an awesome, detailed description. I love hearing from mom's who've actually been there. Super helpful. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I did only the epidural and requested skin to skin and breast feeding immediately and they let me. I would not have a dr who wouldn't allow that. Recovery time was easy for me. When I was having contractions that were so painful I was stressed anticipating the next one. So the epidural just made it easier for me to concentrate on what I needed to do.. Because I had a button to push when I felt like I needed more medicine. I literally pushed the button maybe twice through the whole process and you can push it at least every 5 minutes if you need it to control the mount your getting for pain. I would ask your dr if they let you control it or is it automatic.
  • Options
    I had my second daughter all natural, delivered in 6 minutes. Stayed the 1 night in the hospital and left the next morning with other moms who had epidural and tears hating me. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means bragging, I had ordered the epidural, but they showed up to give me it 10 minutes too late. After the experience, if you remain calm and breath (I know it's easier said then done ) it wasn't so bad looking back and I was able to go home with my baby and enjoy her with my family.
  • Options
    As an L&D nurse who sees women deliver all sorts of ways I say do what you want as far as epidural vs natural. Now I don't recommend getting and epidural at 2cm but if your cervix is making change you should be fine to get the epidural. This is my first and I plan on going natural but this is a personal decision I made before I ever became a L&D nurse (getting numbed up at the dentist makes me crazy anxious I can't imagine if my whole lower half was numb). In my experience though while you can get up faster after a natural delivery we don't get most moms up for 2-3 hours anyway and that's about how long it takes for an epidural to wear off. After that I would say it's about the same for whose up and moving about easily. This is a very personal decision and you have to do what feels like the right decision for you and your body.
  • Options

I did only the epidural and requested skin to skin and breast feeding immediately and they let me. I would not have a dr who wouldn't allow that. Recovery time was easy for me. When I was having contractions that were so painful I was stressed anticipating the next one. So the epidural just made it easier for me to concentrate on what I needed to do.. Because I had a button to push when I felt like I needed more medicine. I literally pushed the button maybe twice through the whole process and you can push it at least every 5 minutes if you need it to control the mount your getting for pain. I would ask your dr if they let you control it or is it automatic.

This was my experience exactly, but I had substantial tearing which made me happy to not be able to feel the pain. I was able to get up and walk around once I could feel my legs. I think my recovery was extended because of the 3rd and 4th degree tears. I'm fairly petite at 5'2 and I had a 9.5 lb baby. It took about a month for it to stop feeling like my bottom was going to fall out when I walked.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    WDDCH said:

I fail to see how having a baby unmedicated puts baby "at risk". Why do people think a mother is going to automatically risk baby's life because of their birth plan? Of course if something happens beyond control a mother is going to do everything to save baby. On an aside: You risk a lot more when you do have epidurals, Pitocin and you aren't free to move about. Just want to point out that the less interventions you have, the less risk you and baby have.

Not everything is so cut and dry I realize. There's always exceptions to every rule but an unmedicated birth goes without a hitch more times than not. It drives me bonkers that people don't want to speak honestly of the risks of medications and being on your back in labor and they push for meds more than the safer alternative of birthing without drugs. Knowing somebody who experienced XYZ negates the research, unfairly, as a whole.

I believe women were made to birth and are not inherently broken and don't always need to "be saved" in childbirth. Thank God for meds and for docs so that women who DO need cesareans and drugs can give birth and live. If my baby was in danger I'd jog my butt to the OR myself and tell them to save baby. I'm NOT against hospitals or medicine. I am against false information and assumptions about risks. Let's stop assuming that EVERY mother who wants to birth without drugs is going to be so selfish as to risk baby's life for the sake of saying "I did it without drugs!" I'm not into pain for pleasure. Choosing no drugs the last few births was hard, not selfish. There are many ways to give birth, let's respect each individual and her circumstances PLEASE.

Ahem.

That being said I have done both. My first two I had epidurals. I hated it for myself (some women love theirs; more power to whatever you want) which is why I began to really do my homework with my third baby and had an epidural-free hospital birth. Next two were also drug-free. No I'm not tooting my own horn. It was what I felt was best and what I worked hard to do so it was safer for everyone.

I never mentioned it in this forum before because it still bothers me but second baby's collarbone was broken during her birth by a hasty and less experienced doctor who wasn't letting me push. She pulled on my sweet girl's delicate head and we found the collarbone break the next day when the pediatrician came to visit (and he was pissed!). The conclusion was the fault of the doctor; my baby wasn't stuck. Yanking out someone's newborn out of their vagina in under a minute so you can get home is wrong!

So for me my natural births were for my subsequent babies' safety and why I'm a little hot under the collar for someone to say an unmedicated birth was MORE risky. I had an OB tell me to just skip to a cesarean with my third baby but I got a second opinion and had that first natural birth; no tears for me and no broken bones for her. Being free to move and to birth without anyone unnecessarily yanking on my babies' heads was important to me. More painful for me but less risk for them.

NOT saying this is the norm. Just explaining why I personally choose no meds now.

I digress...

Even with a natural birth you do need to recover. A lot depends on if you tore and how bad. Women who tear need a lot more healing. There are ways to reduce the risk of tears including birthing in *different* positions from the lithotomy position (on back or semi-reclining) and even water birth.

I tore with my epidurals and required a few stitches. Never had stitches with the three unmedicated births that I had. Again everyone is different. But tearing in one birth doesn't mean you will necessarily tear again.

Knowledge is power. Keep researching. If you feel you want to have a baby unmedicated then there's absolutely no reason you can't prepare for that. Your recovery time, most likely, will be easier. But rest is still super important no matter how you give birth.

Even though i used an epidural with my first and still plan on with my second..i think that is safe from the research i have done on it. I opted out for the petocin. I definitely dont see how some could say having birth naturally is more risky i have never heard someone say something like that until now. I have many friends who had natural at home births and they were completely fine and their babies to also have other friends who use birthing centers for the want of having doctors present incase needed.
  • Options
    It seems like the recovery time for a natural birth with or without epidural would be much better than a c section. I had an epidural with my first and honestly I don't know If I could a handle the pain. I pushed her out a few hours later and was up and moving around later that day. You'll be in a hospital so you really don't need to be up and moving and ready to go in an hour. Just do what feels best for you, but I'll tell you one thing, without medicine is ridiculous! I think it's great when moms can do it all the way natural.
  • Options
    I am in awe of women who can do it without an epidural. I can't handle the pain at all and have had 5 medicated and 1 not my 4th came to fast and I screamed very loud the whole 47 minutes it was fast and furious. I did enjoy being able to get up right away and not throwing up after which I do after every birth. But I'm planning another epidural this pregnancy if I can help it.
  • Options
    I had a medicated birth with my first. I was induced and got the epidural at 3 cm. it was awful from there out. I pushed for over 3 hours and had to be cut so my recovery time was a few weeks.

With my second i did unmedicated. My easiest labor. I woke up in labor and when I got to the dr office to be checked I was dilated to 4cm so he admitted me. I had no IV just the heplock they put in just in case. I was able to be up out of the bed and it made laboring and delivery so much easier. Recovery was so much better too. I didn't tear and only pushed for 5 minutes. I will be doing unmedicated again this time.
  • Options
    I definitely had an easier recovery with my second, and that was my unmedicated birth. But I also encapsulated my placenta, which I totally swear by. It also helped that I laid in bed a lot--my midwife told me to stay home for 2 weeks. I couldn't handle that, but not running around right after definitely helped with recovery & lessened the bleeding.
  • Options
    My unmedicated labour was way easier recovery-wise and being able to move around during labour and pushing made such a huge difference.
  • Options
    I had an unmediated birth. After the baby was taken away after skin to skin contact, I was able to get up with the nurses help and take a shower with no help and walk to the new room. Didn't really have any problems with getting around.
  • Options
    I had an unmedicated birth with my first. I had one of those very fast and intense labors. I felt great the day of and the day after, but I had very swollen feet and I felt like garbage at home until that went away, which took a few weeks. : (  I'm hoping for another unmedicated birth this time, but not the swelling. lol My sister had an epidural and seems to be feeling better faster than I did.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    I had an epidural, had skin to skin right away and breastfed right away. I wouldn't see why that wouldn't be an option. I got in a wheelchair to my recovery room, rested and was up the next day...I didn't have any complications or out of the ordinary problems, and felt great about my birth. It was super relaxed and stress free! Planning to do the same thing this time! Magic button of numbness here I come! lol
  • Options
    I was reading this today and thought I would share it with you since you're interested in natural potentially. Many benefits besides just a faster recovery! This article is specifically about autism I think but includes several of other benefits (read specifically pitocin and vaginal vs c-section if you want)

https://www.generationrescue.org/prevention/during-pregnancy/
  • Options
    melewen said:

I was reading this today and thought I would share it with you since you're interested in natural potentially. Many benefits besides just a faster recovery! This article is specifically about autism I think but includes several of other benefits (read specifically pitocin and vaginal vs c-section if you want)

With all due respect this website is ridiculously biased and a lot of those claims are unfounded. I know a woman who did everything ' safe ' and was a health freak who gave birth at home unmedicated and both of her sons 2 years apart are autistic. Nothing you can do can prevent autism. I had a medicated birth and my diet was far from healthy and my son has no issues at all.

With my labor when i had an epidural I was able to nurse right away and after stitches I walked around an hour after. I felt fine within a day so I can't say i'd rather have done it different. I only pushed 5 times and I was reclined. So to each their own but medicated isn't always as horrible as everyone says.
  • Options
    mathesq0mathesq0 member
    edited March 2015
    This post is awesome! If possible I'd like to avoid a cesarean and I also thought I might try to avoid an epidural....but I was worried I might just be naive as a first time mom....who knows maybe I will change my mind when the time comes but this board gave me a lot of info that I hadn't considered that makes me want to avoid an epidural even more. Thank you all for sharing your experiences!
  • Options
    of course they are not claiming you can absolutely prevent autism because we don't know the causation yet but did you read the references? At the very least I don't think anyone is claiming c sections or pitocin are inherently GOOD for the baby. They're great to have in certain (albeit relatively rare) situations where they are medically necessary but they in and of themselves have no inherent value
  • Options
    aeb20aeb20 member
    I had an epidural and took a shower two hours later after skin to skin and nursing the baby. I think they might have turned my epidural down at the end???
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was induced and had an epidural at 6cm. I had a great birth experience and walked to my room within an hour after birth. I was lucky to not tear or require any stitches. But I cannot compare to unmediated birth as that was my one and only. Good luck!
  • Options
    FinalyFoundFinalyFound member
    edited March 2015
    A few things. 1- when I think natural birth I think pushing a baby through your vagina. Whether you have meds or not. If you have meds=medicated, no meds= unmedicated.
    2-I feel like some ladies are putting down C-sections, like they are so horrible. Do you know how many women and babies died in childbirth before C-sections? Millions. If you need or had a c-section, don't feel bad. Your doing/did what had to be done to get through it and have a happy, healthy baby out and that's the goal /pats these ladies on the back

3- When I read the title of this post, I'm thinking recovery time as in 'you pushed a baby out of your vagina, less recovery time than a c-section?'  Not how long did it take for you to be walking around after pushing a baby out. So to answer my version of the question, I had an Epi for my LO. By the time the nurses were done taking measurements of the baby, taking care of me, and I nursed and did skin-on-skin, and then DHs parentsand my parents came in the labor room to meet their first grandchild, 2 hours had gone by so I wasn't walking around until then anyway whether I took meds or not. It took 2 weeks for me to be healed due to a 2nd degree tear. This would happen with or without meds. 

I also want to point out that to those who believe that going medicated/taking pitocin is putting your child at risk, do you honestly believe that hospitals would be giving these to millions of women every year if it harmed? 
  • Options

melewen said:

With all due respect this website is ridiculously biased and a lot of those claims are unfounded. I know a woman who did everything ' safe ' and was a health freak who gave birth at home unmedicated and both of her sons 2 years apart are autistic. Nothing you can do can prevent autism. I had a medicated birth and my diet was far from healthy and my son has no issues at all.

With my labor when i had an epidural I was able to nurse right away and after stitches I walked around an hour after. I felt fine within a day so I can't say i'd rather have done it different. I only pushed 5 times and I was reclined. So to each their own but medicated isn't always as horrible as everyone says.

Yup. Me 2. I have godchildren who are twins. 1 is autistic, the other twin is perfectly fine. Obviously neither baby received different treatment during pregnancy/labor nor afterwards.
  • Options
    FinalyFoundFinalyFound member
    edited March 2015
    melewen said:

of course they are not claiming you can absolutely prevent autism because we don't know the causation yet but did you read the references? At the very least I don't think anyone is claiming c sections or pitocin are inherently GOOD for the baby. They're great to have in certain (albeit relatively rare) situations where they are medically necessary but they in and of themselves have no inherent value

@melewen But csections are not inherently BAD either. 
    There's more than a few rare occurrences when a csection is needed. *cough* let me name a few: Placenta previa, placental abruption, breech position, uterine rupture, cord prolapse, fetal distress, cephalopelvic disproportion (CPD)-when the head is too big, severe preeclampsia, diabetes, certain birth defects, often if a csection has been preformed in the past. 
    That's more than a few rare cases. You can tell all the women who had any of these conditions that the csection they received had no value. 
    I really feel like your anti-Caesarian and your really making anyone who needs this life saving procedure feel bad for needing it. 

• Options
    I've had two natural births and I'm 100% dead serious, for me, the second the baby was out, I literally had NO more pain ever.   I hear others say not so much, but this was the case for me.  In the hospital, my tailbone felt a little sore sitting on the uncomfortable hospital furniture, but as soon as I was home it wasn't sore at all.  And by sore, I mean like it felt like a bruise, not pain at all.  They came in both times after and asked me did I need anything for pain and I looked at them like they were crazy.  Dude I just labored for like a day and gave birth to a HUGE kid and I didn't take anything for pain, why would I now?

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Also, I tore both times and honest to goodness, if they hadn't said to me, you tore and we are stitching you up now, I wouldn't have ever known.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

A few things. 1- when I think natural birth I think pushing a baby through your vagina. Whether you have meds or not. If you have meds=medicated, no meds= unmedicated.

2-I feel like some ladies are putting down C-sections, like they are so horrible. Do you know how many women and babies died in childbirth before C-sections? Millions. If you need or had a c-section, don't feel bad. Your doing/did what had to be done to get through it and have a happy, healthy baby out and that's the goal /pats these ladies on the back

3- When I read the title of this post, I'm thinking recovery time as in 'you pushed a baby out of your vagina, less recovery time than a c-section?'  Not how long did it take for you to be walking around after pushing a baby out. So to answer my version of the question, I had an Epi for my LO. By the time the nurses were done taking measurements of the baby, taking care of me, and I nursed and did skin-on-skin, and then DHs parentsand my parents came in the labor room to meet their first grandchild, 2 hours had gone by so I wasn't walking around until then anyway whether I took meds or not. It took 2 weeks for me to be healed due to a 2nd degree tear. This would happen with or without meds. 

I also want to point out that to those who believe that going medicated/taking pitocin is putting your child at risk, do you honestly believe that hospitals would be giving these to millions of women every year if it harmed? 
    I agree with most of this- c-sections have a very important place in saving lives and I would hate for any mom (regardless of how they chose or had to give birth) to feel shamed by that. Its an intensely personal and profound experience in a woman's life and there are lots of different ways for baby to get here and get here safely. I used to be very judgy about epidurals and really couldn't understand why anyone did that but over time I've come to realize everyone has their own story- we don't know the reasons behind their decision. I am still a huge birth advocate and am still very passionate about women's birthing choices but it's gone from being focused on medicated vs unmedicated to passionately wanting ALL moms to simply be educated and informed of their options. Nothing makes me more sad than a mom who is devastated by their labor experience because there wasn't true informed consent as far as knowing what they were getting into and what the benefits and risks were, being educated and able to advocate for yourself and your baby is key whether that's advocating and going unmedicated, getting an epi or spinal, using other pain relief methods (stadol, gas, etc.) or a csection.

Though I do disagree with the last part about hospitals wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe. I firmly have to just disagree with that- research off label use of cytotec for labor induction and you will see how commonly it's used and how vastly high the risk level is yet many hospitals and providers consider it "safe". This is where it's vital to trust your provider, research and educate yourself so in the moment you know how to advocate for what you're comfortable with and making sure you're on the same wave length as far as what risk level your comfortable with. Just because something is offered doesn't mean it's safe- every.single.medication has its risk, you just have to decide what you're comfortable with and what you view as necessary.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ally2011ally2011 member
    edited March 2015
    melewen said:

A woman dies every 90 seconds from childbirth complications around the world so the need is not as rare as you might think. I went med-free, pushed for 2 hours and ended up with a csection anyway. If I had been in a different part of the world I'm not sure what would have happened.

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Options
    ally2011ally2011 member
    edited March 2015
    melewen said:

Jenny McCarthy is very dangerous. She is not who I would consult for medical information. Her stance on vaccines is enough to take away her credibility on any other health issue.

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Options
    Every birth is different. I'm wanting to go natural this time. Nothing against epidural thank god for modern medicine. With my son though I'd say the recovery time was okay besides tearing. (10 # baby). However I had aweful back pain and headaches for about 6 months after from the epidural. Like debilitating back pain... that's one thing I never thought about and I never had back problems or headaches before. I'm fine now after andfterndbout 6 months I was okay it just sucked with a new baby.
  • Options
    mathesq0 said:

This post is awesome! If possible I'd like to avoid a cesarean and I also thought I might try to avoid an epidural....but I was worried I might just be naive as a first time mom....who knows maybe I will change my mind when the time comes but this board gave me a lot of info that I hadn't considered that makes me want to avoid an epidural even more. Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

The natural birth board is fantastic here on the bump. Lurk there if you think you are at all interested in a med-free birth.

I think that getting an epi ups your chances for other interventions....which could then cause you to need a C-section. That would require a longer recovery, for sure.

I've had two unmedicated births. The first...I felt like I was hit by a bus. But still I was feeling close to normal within a week or so. The second time, I felt fantastic a within 24 hours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"