March 2015 Moms
Options

Wives tales and full moon babies

goosenpumpkingoosenpumpkin member
edited February 2015 in March 2015 Moms
I know they say it's an old wives' tale, but how many of you believe that more babies are born just prior to and during a full moon? All the L&D nurses I know swear it's true. I know my last one was, and L&D was a madhouse that weekend. They would play a lullaby over the speaker everytime a baby was born and I swear that thing went off every half hr. Haha. I haven't looked at moon charts for all my others, but it makes me wonder. I had a very weird quiet week as far as painful contractions and false labor last week. Very uncharacteristic for me. Last night, I started wakig up again with very uncomfortable BH and this morning I'm feeling off. No appetite, really crampy heavy feeling. I looked at the chart and it looks like we are coming up to another full moon next week. I just want to make it to 37 wks on Monday. The funny thing about that date is that the moon will be exactly the same as the moon when my son was born. Nothing to do but wait and see. Just something fun to think about.

Re: Wives tales and full moon babies

• Options
    When I worked with children in a behavioral unit, we always noticed higher behaviors around the full moon. Probably not too scientific, but interesting to look at. Maybe we can have these babies next week! :)
  • Options
    Dunno about full moon but I do believe the moon plays a role as it changes the waters like rivers and oceans and potentially amniotic fluid ;)
    But again it's a tale I'm not sure if it's true!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmmm, I think there could be something to it. I was talking to my dr about barometric pressure and causing labor. He said that out of all the things they know about labor/delivery/OB issues, they still can't explain why changes in barometric pressure can cause the bag of waters to rupture. Still a mystery. So it wouldn't surprise me if a full moon could cause a stir in labor.
  • Options
    I believe storms and barometric pressure cause birth booms. My winter babies were born in jam packed L&D departments - better than 10 babies in the nursery immediately following storms, lucky to labor and recover in private rooms. My son was born during nice weather and there were maybe 5 other babies on the floor and empty Maternity rooms. #anecdotalevidence
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options
    @Christina80xoxo
    Well wait until you see the kids I work with during the full moon X_X
    I'm a child and youth worker and we see huuuuuuge difference in behaviour
    Sorry not pregnancy related but about moon lol
  • Options
    ju123 said:

@Christina80xoxo
    Well wait until you see the kids I work with during the full moon X_X
    I'm a child and youth worker and we see huuuuuuge difference in behaviour
    Sorry not pregnancy related but about moon lol

I believe it!
  • Options
    dreyes4dreyes4 member
    edited February 2015
    When.i had my first there was a full moon the night before and no lie my nanny told me ull be having your baby soon..and the next day i was in labor..and i soooooooo believe in the full moon thing..its weird how something like the moon can have an affect on a womens body like that. :D
    Edit: words
  • Options
    Never heard of the safety pin thing!!!
    Wow crazy :)
    I will be honest though I can be very superstitious because in South America , well that's how we are lol
    My mom always knew when she could call the midwife to the farm where she lived based on the moon phases. The lack of resources made them to be creative and observing in patterns...

Nowadays we just google lol ;;)
  • Options

My mom was a 911 dispatcher for 26 years - she always had an increase in the "crazy calls" during full moons - she hated working during that time, especially when she was working later into the night. 

No idea why, but I do believe some weird things happen during full moons!

• Options

Ok, not baby related.
    I work in a men's prison. No joke, whenever there's a full moon they start acting up. Especially the ones with psych issues.

I worked in a men's prison in TX a few years ago too, and that is very true!
  • Options
    As a former RN, I agree that full moons mean crazy shifts! But nurses in general tend to be superstitious. And babies are born at other times, too, so I'm not too sold on the full moon/labor connection. (Of course, I wouldn't mind it much if she came next week!)
  • Options
    @Christina80xoxo are you Hispanic? ? I'm Mexican and I've has a key safety pinned to my pants since the first eclipse. I was under strict orders by my Mother haha
  • Options
    I like the sound of this! (39 weeks on Sunday.)
  • Options
    djoliet said:

@Christina80xoxo are you Hispanic? ? I'm Mexican and I've has a key safety pinned to my pants since the first eclipse. I was under strict orders by my Mother haha

Yes! My grandma is from a little ranch in Mexico. She takes the safety pin very serious lol
  • Options
    I have thought the same thing and took a look to note when the next full moon will be. I had two friends with very different due dates this summer and they both had their waters break with a day or two of each other. One friend said she had to wait in triage because so many other women were in labor at that time. It was right at the full moon - I'm not really superstitious but I do think there may be something to it!
  • Options
    goosenpumpkingoosenpumpkin member
    edited February 2015
    I looked up my other children's bdays and the moon was literally at the same stage for every one. Weird! But they do speculate that mom and baby both have to release certain hormones and Chem signals to start labor, so maybe there is just something that really sets my body and my babies' bodies off at these times.
  • Options
    Wow I'm convinced I will deliver on March 05 :)
    That would be awesome!!!
  • Options
    @Christina80xoxo haha! That's awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one walking around with a key pinned on
  • Options
    March 5th is my due date and also our 11th wedding anniversary.
  • Options
    djoliet said:

@Christina80xoxo haha! That's awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one walking around with a key pinned on

I am too !! Haha
  • Options
    My OB says bad weather, storms and full moons all increase the baby born activity. All the nurses swear by it too. I'll be 37 weeks on the 5th so if it happens so be it!
  • Options
    Holy crap! That would be an awesome bday too! I hadn't thought of that! I'd almost (key word *almost*) be willing to go over if guaranteed that bday. Lol!!!!
  • Options
    This girl is throwing me for a loop! I was so sure I was having her by Monday. Haha. I did have some major indigestion, nausea and an uptick in contractions since last night. Anyone else notice anything happening?
  • Options
    Hoping it's true! I'm due tomorrow and I'd love to meet this lil guy!
  • Options
    I was in L&D today for NST and AFI testing. I asked the nurses and they said it was surprisingly quiet. I'm curious to see what they say Saturday when I go back :)
  • Options
    I was thinking about this when I was told I was being induced tomorrow! Now we shall see if he is actually born tomorrow or I have a long labor... Maybe the full moon will speed things along :)
  • Options
    This is getting me so excited! Due on Friday and I had my membranes swept yesterday! Feeling very off today. Nauseous. Lots of cramping. And lower back pains since then. Hoping my little girl comes tomorrow!
  • Options
    I sure hope baby decides to skip this whole moon because tomorrow is supposed to be the worst ice and road closers we've had all year! Lol. Of course he would decide to arrive the day I can't get to the hospital haha
  • Options

This girl is throwing me for a loop! I was so sure I was having her by Monday. Haha. I did have some major indigestion, nausea and an uptick in contractions since last night. Anyone else notice anything happening?

I'm 37 weeks and I'm having the same symptoms,I hope the baby comes soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"