Natural Birth
Options

Doula's and Insurance

Hi Ladies! My husband and I have decided to hire a doula team for our birth experience. I am having a VBAC and will be delivering in the hospital. I was wondering if anyone had experience with getting your insurance to cover some (or all) of the expense? I would appreciate any tips you have! TIA

Re: Doula's and Insurance

• Options
    I've used a doula twice and paid cash. I've never heard of insurance covering one. If finances are an issue, you can hire a student doula for free (or almost free) or most doula's work on a sliding scale based on your income. Good luck! Using a doula is a VERY smart move. 
  • Options
    Doulas are cash only here. Insurance wouldn't cover a cent because a doula isn't a medical provider.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Doulas are sometimes able to be covered (or reimbursed ) by insurance. You need to talk to your insurance company and ask doulas you interview about their experience with this. It's certainly not unheard of.
  • Options
    Mine wasn't covered but she was so worth every out-of-pocket penny! We paid $500 and I had 8 hrs labor, 1 hr pushing, no pain meds or IV (FTM).
  • Options

I've used a doula twice and paid cash. I've never heard of insurance covering one. If finances are an issue, you can hire a student doula for free (or almost free) or most doula's work on a sliding scale based on your income. Good luck! Using a doula is a VERY smart move. 

I wouldn't assume that you will be able to find a free doula. I do believe that if you have a flexible spending account you can use those pre tax dollars to pay for the doula
  • Options
    My insurance does not cover doula service because they are not considered medically necessary.  The cost through the service I am using is between $400 and $1,500 depending on the experience of the doula, and the level of service she is providing.  Just for labor, labor & postpartum, overnight etc...
    <Pregnancy Ticker>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"