March 2015 Moms
Options

going to labor?!!!

Has anyone felt or gone to labor yet????

Re: going to labor?!!!

• Options
    False labor, yes. I honestly think my baby girl will be here by the end of the month. Last night I had to call the hospital and have them page the doc on call. He told me to take Tylenol and lay on my left side... Which was uncomfortable
  • Options
    My water broke, I'm week 32. In hospital until baby comes
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes to both potential questions as this is my 2nd baby... Not sure of the question though.
  • Options
    yasmy said:

Oh ok thanks girls :)
    Ally chase you know wdf i mean fuck off

It can be frustrating but languageeee lol please don't curse
  • Options

yasmy said:

Oh ok thanks girls :)
    Ally chase you know wdf i mean fuck off

@-) wow. Just.....wow..

Hey mods, this is reportable since it's clearly against your TOU/guidelines right? Or are you just going to ignore this like you do all the other nonsense...
    A lot of these newbies seem so young and so precious. It's like babies having babies up in here and I'm about to need to do some Google searches to decipher the language. I'm guessing wdf means "what da f***." Da isn't even a word. Couple that with the extensive over use of LOL and LOLZ, and I am completely lost.
    My brain feels closer and closer to complete explosion every time they post... The ignorance, the lack of grammar, the "new age" talk..... It just hurts! #-o
  • Options
    takeranytakerany member
    edited February 2015

takerany said:

What does age have to do with anything? And why is the community divided into newbies and people from the old board or whatever you may call it? It should only be one group. One welcoming group. "March 2015 Moms," I don't think anything will change though.

It's just that the entire lexile level of the posts has changed. They used to sound a lot more educated and now they are a lot of slang and text speak. It just isn't what one would expect from a mother.
    Well, the world doesn't revolve around what one person would expect from others or what one group of people would expect another to be like. Some people use slang, especially if they're on mobile devices. And we aren't medical professionals, nor are we interviewing for some important position. We are just here for advice and support. In my opinion, people should be able to be either formal or informal depending on what they feel at the moment and always in a polite manner of course (and that would exclude cursing). Some first time moms or people with questions just ask them based on what they know & would like know, which sometimes isn't as much as what another member knows. You can't blame someone for not being as educated on a subject as another person but you can definitely control how you choose to answer; whether that be in a helpful way or as a complaint/snarky remark.

And as far as the slang goes... What's the difference between using slang and using memes? They're both like shortcuts.. Right?
  • Options
    @finallyourturn2‌ well as far as mothers using slang, and striving for better .. That's your opinion. Everybody has an opinion. And the fact that you feel the education ranking is slipping based on the misuse of one word.. "Informal," well that is too bad. Oh well. I'm sure there are people who would agree with both sides. Some just go about expressing their opinions differently.
  • Options
    takeranytakerany member
    edited February 2015
    @finallyourturn2‌ so are you saying that the mothers who speak slang are likely to pass it on to their children and lead to even more slipping of our education ranking here in the US? And I'd like to see proof and statistics from credible sources if it isn't based merely on your opinion and that of others if that's the case. And what other problems are there?
  • Options

Not merely, but it is a large portion. Also, not just mothers, but as mothers we have the strongest effect on our children's behaviors and habits. Some other problems are the growing sense of entitlement, a lowering work ethic, a desire for answers rather than process. Grad level education courses will provide you with all the facts, and peer reviewed studies, and information you will ever need/want.

It would have been so nice to see references. Hopefully when I am finished with grad school, I'll understand your viewpoint. But for now, I'll continue to disagree and say that I don't believe that the smallest amount of slang can be that detrimental to my child's education or behavior. As a mother I know it is my responsibility to raise my child to care about her education, and put forth her best effort. She will not be handed the answers to every problem, she'll figure it out of course; whether it be with help or on her own. She will earn every grade she receives. I just think it's okay to speak using slang here and there, that's all.
  • Options
    jillbabe91jillbabe91 member
    edited February 2015
    Oh my lord #-o I wish everyone didn't argue about everything on these threads and throw insults. I get everyone has an opinion. Maybe I'm too much of a "peace maker" who knows. And yes @yasmy‌ no need for the language..
  • Options
    @finallyourturn2‌ I am a 4th grade teacher and I 100% agree with you! The slang/text speak is so predominate in writing it highly disgusts me. There is tons of credible research out there on vocabulary development based on what social class you are raised in. Hart and Risley (1995) have been quoted saying children at 3 years old who have been exposed to slang have 600 fewer words than their peers who were not.... I even provided you a link to a Bridging the Gap of Vocabulary development since apparently someone thinks we as teachers just make random stuff up to sound smart.

So here's the research... https://www.naeyc.org/files/yc/file/201007/ChristWangOnline.pdf
  • Options

WOW. This is the most disrespectful thread I have every read on the Bump. I am a women with 3 degrees. A bachelors and two masters in which I graduated with honors for each. (3.8 GPA or higher) I use slang on a daily basis. To say words that are slang aren't real words is to say that a large portion of the American English language isn't real being that it is a variation from old English aka slang. This a forum on a pregnancy site not a job interview or any other professional venue where one should feel as if they have to use perfect grammar or spelling to make others feel comfortable. To even equate or compare the use of language on this forum to the effects that it may or may not have on any of these mothers' children's education is just unnecessary and crossing the line.

Now I typically do not respond to combative threads but this one got under my skin. There are already too many issues mothers judge other mothers about that adding "the use of slang in a forum" just seems to be an overkill. Heck I don't understand half of the acronyms used on this site but I just go with the flow. (i.e. LO, DD, TTC) I just feel like this discussion was about to tread upon ageism, classism, and racism issues that I could not sit back quietly. I think if we all just respect one another and our separate walks of life and realize that our common goal is to get our new babies here safely these random mean threads won't be an issue.

Peace aka Holla aka TTYL aka Farewell aka Dueces

Cool story, bro.
  • Options
    ju123ju123 member
    edited February 2015
    Sometimes I feel that the topics do not remain to the point until the end :(
    I really wanted to know as well if someone from March 2015 was feeling pre labour signs...
  • Options
    ju123 said:

I really wanted to know as well if someone from March 2015 was feeling pre labour signs...

Nobody can really answer your question because labor isn't a clear cut textbook thing. For example, I go into prodromal (false) labor almost daily now. Despite the fact that I get heinous contractions that are almost time able over and over for hours, I could still make it to my due date.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

ju123 said:

Nobody can really answer your question because labor isn't a clear cut textbook thing. For example, I go into prodromal (false) labor almost daily now. Despite the fact that I get heinous contractions that are almost time able over and over for hours, I could still make it to my due date.
    I understand but it's nice to know the variety of symptoms that people feel differently... And in different stages too

That's so interesting about your contractions! Do you mind me asking how far along you are?
    My last baby was a planned c section so I have no idea how it feels, although I read a lot about it...
    Here in my hospital unless the water broke or you have contractions 3 min apart they won't admit you (unless obvious complications)

Thank you!
  • Options
    klcarr19 said:

@finallyourturn2‌ I am a 4th grade teacher and I 100% agree with you! The slang/text speak is so predominate in writing it highly disgusts me. There is tons of credible research out there on vocabulary development based on what social class you are raised in. Hart and Risley (1995) have been quoted saying children at 3 years old who have been exposed to slang have 600 fewer words than their peers who were not.... I even provided you a link to a Bridging the Gap of Vocabulary development since apparently someone thinks we as teachers just make random stuff up to sound smart.

So here's the research... https://www.naeyc.org/files/yc/file/201007/ChristWangOnline.pdf

Do you have at least two more credible sources?
  • Options
    takerany said:

klcarr19 said:

/:) EL OH EL.
  • Options
    takerany said:

klcarr19 said:

takerany said:

klcarr19 said:

I'm wondering if she would like them in MLA format like in high school, APA like grad school, or Chicago (to be honest I'm not really sure who uses that one).
    Lol right? Probably complete with the president's stamp of approval..
  • Options

takerany said:

klcarr19 said:

I'm wondering if she would like them in MLA format like in high school, APA like grad school, or Chicago (to be honest I'm not really sure who uses that one).
    Haha sure. I don't understand what the problem is with me asking for credible sources to support your statements since they're not opinions. Especially since I'm not at all majoring in this kind of thing but I'm about to be a mother just like you guys. Would you rather me dumb it down, complain about rude remarks and not say anything or actually engage in an intellectual conversation with you? I would love to understand why you feel like slang, a kind of language our children will be exposed to eventually, would hinder their educational experience or process of thinking/behaving. If you send them to school, they'll be around it. You can't control what they hear all the time but as mothers, you can control what you expose them to at home. My thing is, they're going to hear it. And you'd be surprised how many people that use slang graduate with 4.0 GPAs unweighted, or at the top of their class. Whether it be from high school or grad school. We can agree to disagree; I'm a firm believer in what I said and I'm going to stand behind my opinion no matter what. I just wanted credible sources to understand your facts and statistics that you gathered in those courses from grad school so hat I could understand you more. At least I'm trying to understand.
  • Options
    I'm starting to think sarcasm is your only weapon when someone doesn't agree with your viewpoint. You're missing the entire point of our conversation. But that's just how you handle these situations, I guess? @cinderella105‌
  • Options
    In my opinion, when kids/teens/grown ass women speak in slang it's very hard to take them seriously. It doesn't matter if you graduate with a 4.0, if you don't use proper grammar and spelling in your every day life you come across as far less intelligent. That goes for message boards and IRL. That's just fact even without resources.
  • Options
    If you don't know these women personally, who are you to tell them they sound less intelligent when speaking using slang in a forum, where they are on their mobile devices or on a keyboard? It doesn't matter how old they are. This is not a school/work environment. I don't understand how certain times on this board you have to be serious, and other times it's okay to use things like "el oh el," because I remember someone saying she was confused or disgusted with the use of those kinds of terms but today... She understood them perfectly well and didn't attack the user who chose to put them in her response. Your opinion is your opinion, mine is mine. I don't feel any less intelligent than the next woman just because I use slang here and there. My mother did it. My friends' mothers did it. My boss' mother did, my boss did, his children do.. and they are incredibly smart. My siblings do, and they are in advanced placement courses just as I was. Slang does not determine a person's level of intellect, as long as they know what environment to use those kinds of terms in. This is a mobile club or board, whatever you want to call it, and we as human beings will probably never meet and have conversations outside of responding to each others' comments the way we are now. I don't feel anyone owes it to anyone else to speak using a preferred kind of language (outside of profanity, of course) and I definitely don't feel as if our children are going to be lazier or less likely to succeed because they're exposed to slang.
  • Options
    ju123 said:

ju123 said:

I understand but it's nice to know the variety of symptoms that people feel differently... And in different stages too

That's so interesting about your contractions! Do you mind me asking how far along you are?
    My last baby was a planned c section so I have no idea how it feels, although I read a lot about it...
    Here in my hospital unless the water broke or you have contractions 3 min apart they won't admit you (unless obvious complications)

Thank you!
    I am almost 35 weeks. About 3pm every day I start getting BHs at a rate of about once per six minutes, then they escalate by 4 to painful contractions (like period but worse). I am usually able to calm them with a bath or lying down. From what I understand it's the body doing all the work of early labor early, and tends to make actual labor shorter. Not guaranteed though.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"