Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Phasing Out Night Time Bottles - Please Help

My DS is 8 months and still insists on waking 2-3 times a night for a bottle (6 ounces).  He typically will down the entire bottle and fall sleep immediately.  Any tips for breaking this cycle and phasing out the night bottles.  He typically is asleep by 7:30 after his bottle.  I now know that we conditioned our DS into associating bottles with sleep.  But how do I break this cycle now? 

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Phasing Out Night Time Bottles - Please Help

• Options
    Why? If he's hungry then feed him. It's not an issue until 12 months. It seems kind of messed up to deprive your LO of calories if he seems to need them?

At this stage solids are not for calories or nutrition. LO should be getting the large portion of his calories from formula or breast milk until 12 months old.

You can try larger bottles with dinner & before bed. However, I'm unsure why you want to fix something that seems to work for your LO? If he eats the bottles & goes right back to bed, then what is the problem?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    khaalid00khaalid00 member
    edited February 2015
    My LO at 8 months recently wakes for a bottle but it comes in waves. I read it is common for babies from 6-9 months to wake up several times a night again for feedings especially if they are going through another growth spurt or teething because they seek comfort in sucking. Talk to to your pedi regarding your concerns. It seems a lot but I don't know if your LO is taking in less calories during the day. Curious on what your pedi would say. Keep us posted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Read The Sleep Easy Solution and do it. It took us a week and she dropped all if her night feeds. It was glorious. Good luck
  • Options

Thank you for the advice.  I did discuss this at our last well visit last month and our Pediatrician does not feel our DS is over eating.  He is in the 84% percentile for weight and 99% percentile for height.  He di provide some suggestions such as making the formula in the middle of the night less palatable by watering it down (I have not done this to date).  I have also been trying to move him up from 6 ounces during the day, but he just really likes the 6 (it is like he knows exactly when he hits his limits and stops)! 

I am blessed to have a healthy DS and I am fortunate that he does wake to be fed and goes right back.  I think I am more concerned by reading that children who require a bottle to fall asleep have sleep issues as they get older.  As a first time mother I think it is innate to question some things.  Something I always have to remind myself is all babies are different and that is alright!  I will definitely have to check out The Sleep Easy Solution as well. 

Thanks again!

• Options
    nalnadi said:

Thank you for the advice.  I did discuss this at our last well visit last month and our Pediatrician does not feel our DS is over eating.  He is in the 84% percentile for weight and 99% percentile for height.  He di provide some suggestions such as making the formula in the middle of the night less palatable by watering it down (I have not done this to date).  I have also been trying to move him up from 6 ounces during the day, but he just really likes the 6 (it is like he knows exactly when he hits his limits and stops)! 

I am blessed to have a healthy DS and I am fortunate that he does wake to be fed and goes right back.  I think I am more concerned by reading that children who require a bottle to fall asleep have sleep issues as they get older.  As a first time mother I think it is innate to question some things.  Something I always have to remind myself is all babies are different and that is alright!  I will definitely have to check out The Sleep Easy Solution as well. 

Thanks again!

I think in your situation, your LO is legitimately hungry if he's downing entire bottles in the night. He needs those calories so somehow he needs to make up for that during the day with larger bottles or else he'll need to keep eating during the night.

I wouldn't worry about this creating problems down the road. He's just hungry.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"