124»

Re: Breastfeeding Support and Information

• Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited January 2015
    apk4 said:

Emerald27 said:

apk4 said:

I usually pump 6-7 times a day during the work week. This past weekend I didn't pump at all, because I just nursed DS on demand- about every 1.5 to 2 hours. 

This morning on my first two pumps I only got 5 ounces. I usually get 7-9. Is my supply dwindling because I didn't pump over the weekend? Do I need to pump over the weekend?

I'm hoping I'm just prematurely worrying and all will be okay. I have a big mug of milkmaid tea in front of me right now. 

ETA: He nursed before daycare and seemed to be pulling and tugging to get a letdown. He usually doesn't have an issue. Another reason I'm worried.
    You don't need to be pumping over the weekend. Try not to stress. It's probably not your supply, but even if it is, you can always bring it back up. Try some breast compressions during pumping, and massage your breasts before you start. How frequently do you pump at work?

I usually pump at 4:30, nurse at 6, pump again at 7:00 or 7:30 depending on when I get to work, 9:00, 11:30, 2:00, 5:00, and once again when I'm home. I have just been using my manual pump and I massage my breasts as I pump. 

--------------------
    This sounds like a good pumping schedule. :)

Does LO get approximately 1oz for every hour you're away, and nurse frequently when you're home at night?
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Emerald27 said:
    Emerald27 said:
    I usually pump 6-7 times a day during the work week. This past weekend I didn't pump at all, because I just nursed DS on demand- about every 1.5 to 2 hours. 

This morning on my first two pumps I only got 5 ounces. I usually get 7-9. Is my supply dwindling because I didn't pump over the weekend? Do I need to pump over the weekend?

I'm hoping I'm just prematurely worrying and all will be okay. I have a big mug of milkmaid tea in front of me right now. 

ETA: He nursed before daycare and seemed to be pulling and tugging to get a letdown. He usually doesn't have an issue. Another reason I'm worried.
    You don't need to be pumping over the weekend. Try not to stress. It's probably not your supply, but even if it is, you can always bring it back up. Try some breast compressions during pumping, and massage your breasts before you start. How frequently do you pump at work?
    I usually pump at 4:30, nurse at 6, pump again at 7:00 or 7:30 depending on when I get to work, 9:00, 11:30, 2:00, 5:00, and once again when I'm home. I have just been using my manual pump and I massage my breasts as I pump. 
    -------------------- This sounds like a good pumping schedule. :) Does LO get approximately 1oz for every hour you're away, and nurse frequently when you're home at night?
    Thanks Emerald!

He drinks about 16 ounces in 12 hours, but when he's not sick he STTN and only wakes up twice to nurse in the MOTN. He nurses almost the entire night from once we get home until he falls asleep. ETA: He's only home for about 2 hours before going to bed. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    apk4 said:

Emerald27 said:

apk4 said:

Emerald27 said:

apk4 said:

--------------------
    This sounds like a good pumping schedule. :)

Does LO get approximately 1oz for every hour you're away, and nurse frequently when you're home at night?

Thanks Emerald!

He drinks about 16 ounces in 12 hours, but when he's not sick he STTN and only wakes up once to nurse in the MOTN. He nurses almost the entire night from once we get home until he falls asleep. ETA: He's only home for about 2 hours before going to bed. 

-------------------
    Ok. That's not too much more, so it shouldn't affect your supply. And weekend EBFing should make up for any difference. Just see how the rest of today's pumping goes. Hopefully this is a fluke!

Keep in mind too that pump output alone is not a good indicator of supply. So pumping less doesn't necessarily mean your supply has dropped. You might need to change the membrane on your pump!
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    apk4 said:

I feel like a slacker now :)

• Options
    I feel like a slacker now :)
    I usually only get 2-4 ounces after my early morning pump. DS eats 16 a day and I like to pump 20 to have an extra, just in case. 
  • Options
    So no one take this as bragging because it's not. I have a legit question about calories while breastfeeding.

So at some point am I going to stop dropping all this weight? I drop a lb a week still. I'm now approaching a weight I haven't been since high school and it's freaking me out. I eat all the shit and I cannot maintain. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm worried this is going to start to get unhealthy for me. At some point is this going to slow down?
  • Options
    edited January 2015

So no one take this as bragging because it's not. I have a legit question about calories while breastfeeding.

So at some point am I going to stop dropping all this weight? I drop a lb a week still. I'm now approaching a weight I haven't been since high school and it's freaking me out. I eat all the shit and I cannot maintain. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm worried this is going to start to get unhealthy for me. At some point is this going to slow down?

The answer is very likely yes, BUT you should try to be eating 300-500 extra calories each day. Increasing healthy protein and fats can help. There's no real need to count calories. Eating three meals and three snacks each day, or six smaller meals, is a good way to space out healthy eating. Following as healthy a diet as you can, which would be recommended, breastfeeding or not. Also, continue taking your prenatal vitamin while you breastfeed.

Are you otherwise healthy? Energy levels good, hair and nails not dry and brittle, skin not dry? Do you struggle to maintain a healthy weight when not pregnant/breastfeeding?

ETA: There's never anything wrong with talking to your doctor if you're concerned about your health or weight postpartum. If you notice heat intolerance, fast heartbeat, or shaky hands (like when writing your signature), you could ask your doctor about the possibility that you're experiencing postpartum thyroiditis (hyperthyroidism), which can also cause significant wejght loss.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

The answer is very likely yes, BUT you should try to be eating 300-500 extra calories each day. Increasing healthy protein and fats can help. There's no real need to count calories. Eating three meals and three snacks each day, or six smaller meals, is a good way to space out healthy eating. Following as healthy a diet as you can, which would be recommended, breastfeeding or not. Also, continue taking your prenatal vitamin while you breastfeed.

Are you otherwise healthy? Energy levels good, hair and nails not dry and brittle, skin not dry? Do you struggle to maintain a healthy weight when not pregnant/breastfeeding?

ETA: There's never anything wrong with talking to your doctor if you're concerned about your health or weight postpartum. If you notice heat intolerance, fast heartbeat, or shaky hands (like when writing your signature), you could ask your doctor about the possibility that you're experiencing postpartum thyroiditis (hyperthyroidism), which can also cause significant wejght loss.
    Thanks. I would say weight has never been an issue for me i have a pretty good metabolism. I have been not caring about the cookies etc that I consume lately because I just keep dropping weight. I'm not at an unhealthy weight quite yet but I'm really worried it's heading that direction. Maybe more of another type of food will help like more protein? My nails are in good shape but I've always had pretty dry hair so I'm not sure there. My skin has been dry, knuckles cracking etc but I just chalked that up to normal winter air so maybe that's not the case? I don't know, I'm not sure when to think it's an issue but it's been weighing on my mind lately.
  • Options
    @starla487 It really depends on the mother and her unique situation. Does she have low supply? What makes her think so? Somerimes mothers think their supply is low when it really isn't and something else is going on. What has she tried already to increase her supply? I would not jump to medications or supplements before exhausting other means of increasing supply.
    imageimage
  • Options
    starla487 said:

Emerald27 said:

@starla487 It really depends on the mother and her unique situation. Does she have low supply? What makes her think so? Somerimes mothers think their supply is low when it really isn't and something else is going on. What has she tried already to increase her supply? I would not jump to medications or supplements before exhausting other means of increasing supply.

She's still pregnant. :) She was coming up with her birth plan and wants to avoid formula being given for baby low blood sugars, but is scared she won't have any milk because of insulin resistance.

I told her to ask about pump rentals and LCs, etc. However, I had a "no formula" thing in my birth plan and DD still got it to treat a low. :smile:
    She can work with an IBCLC to safely express and save colostrum prior to baby's birth. If she brings it with her, that can be given to baby instead of formula if there is an issue.

Does she have a doula? A doula might be able to help make sure her wishes are honored in the hospital. She could also contact a LLL Leader for help in creating her birth and postpartum breastfeeding plan.
    imageimage
  • Options
    keelyd said:

Alright ... Decision has been made: going to dry up just angry boob bc this galactocele (sp?) doesn't show any signs of going away. Today the surgeon pulled 120 mL of milk from it.

How do I go about this? What can I expect? I already set up another appt to have it aspirated again in 2.5 weeks just in case.

120ml?!? Holy crap! I hope the drying up process is fast and successful for you!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    When do I know I need to do things to boost my supply? I barely get 10 oz pumping at work, and DS eats about 12 oz with FMIL. I pump right after his morning feed about 645, then pump 3 times at work (915, 1145, 215) then bf once I pick him up. I've got most supplies for cookies. Yay or nay?
  • Options

jbuck909 said:

When do I know I need to do things to boost my supply? I barely get 10 oz pumping at work, and DS eats about 12 oz with FMIL. I pump right after his morning feed about 645, then pump 3 times at work (915, 1145, 215) then bf once I pick him up. I've got most supplies for cookies. Yay or nay?

Does the morning pump get you the extra 2 ounces you need? If your daily output is 12pz or more, you're fine. If 10oz includes the am pump, I'd make cookies.
    The past week or so, I get a max of 2 oz in the morning, and up to 9 oz at work. I've been trying to stay on top of hydration with water and gatorade. When should I eat the cookies?
  • Options
    jbuck909 said:

jbuck909 said:

Does the morning pump get you the extra 2 ounces you need? If your daily output is 12pz or more, you're fine. If 10oz includes the am pump, I'd make cookies.
    The past week or so, I get a max of 2 oz in the morning, and up to 9 oz at work. I've been trying to stay on top of hydration with water and gatorade. When should I eat the cookies?
    Have you tried EMBA milkmaid tea? I drink some every day and it seems to help with my supply. It could be coincidence, but it seems like I always get an extra ounce or two the days I drink it.
  • Options
    apk4 said:

jbuck909 said:

jbuck909 said:

Have you tried EMBA milkmaid tea? I drink some every day and it seems to help with my supply. It could be coincidence, but it seems like I always get an extra ounce or two the days I drink it.
    I'll have to look into that, thank you! Where do you get it?
  • Options
    jbuck909 said:

apk4 said:

jbuck909 said:

jbuck909 said:

I'll have to look into that, thank you! Where do you get it?
    I ordered mine on Amazon, but I've seen it at Walgreens too.

https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Mama-Angel-Baby-Milkmaid/dp/B0032AM8JG
  • Options
    jeniece47 said:

I think we have talked about this but are there any meds that I can take for congestion. I'm a coughing, sneezing, runny nose mess.

Sadly, decongestants are not compatible with lactation. Some moms take a Claritin for congestion, which is less likely to affect milk supply.

You can drink hot tea with honey and lemon, use a humidifier, run a hot shower, use a neti pot. There are lots of safe non-medicinal options for congestion. Even eucalyptus essential oil can be used (safely and responsibly) to combat congestion. Good luck!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    @jbuck909 Cookies are great, but it will also help to increase your supply if you offer to nurse frequently at night.

Your supply is likely fine, though. Make sure you're maximizing your pump output by doing breast massage prior to pumping and compressions while you pump. Look at pictures of baby, etc.

Check this out:
    https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    imageimage
  • Options
    What is this talk about cookies? :-/
  • Options
    However, enjoy yourself a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies because you deserve them!!!! :D
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    Thanks for sharing this! LO has been nursing way more frequently the last 3 days, and at times fussing and acting still hungry when milk has stopped flowing (and nursing sessions are usually shorter when this is happening). I assumed it is probably a 3-month growth spurt, but still I've been freaking out, and supplementing him with a pumped ounce when he is inconsolable, but was wondering what I could do to keep up with his increased demand.
    I'm heading to the lactation clinic tomorrow, but I probably just need to relax.
  • Options
    @KelliRR‌ Try some switch nursing, meaning switch sides frequently throughout each feeding, and whenever he gets fussy switch sides. The extra stimulation and the back and forth trigger new letdowns and work to increase your supply.

Supplementing when baby is actively working to increase your supply has the opposite effect. It satisfies baby without telling your breasts to make more milk, so your supply remains the same OR decreases!! Limiting supplementing and calling a LLL Leader for help if you suspect baby isn't getting enough milk are highly recommended. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

@KelliRR‌ Try some switch nursing, meaning switch sides frequently throughout each feeding, and whenever he gets fussy switch sides. The extra stimulation and the back and forth trigger new letdowns and work to increase your supply.

Supplementing when baby is actively working to increase your supply has the opposite effect. It satisfies baby without telling your breasts to make more milk, so your supply remains the same OR decreases!! Limiting supplementing and calling a LLL Leader for help if you suspect baby isn't getting enough milk are highly recommended. :)

Thank you so much! I hadn't thought of going back to a presumed-empty breast to see if I can get another letdown. I really appreciate all you do for this group-I hope we won't lose you in all the drama!
  • Options
    KelliRR said:

Emerald27 said:

Thank you so much! I hadn't thought of going back to a presumed-empty breast to see if I can get another letdown. I really appreciate all you do for this group-I hope we won't lose you in all the drama!
    I'll at least come around to check this thread!!! :D
    imageimage
  • Options
    I seem to be having the opposite issue... I pumped three times at work today for 10-15 minutes and got 20oz (!!!). Baby only takes 11-12oz. Should I pump for less time or maybe just one side each session? We struggled with oversupply/overactive letdown at the beginning, so I don't want to aggravate that again!
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    Katedann said:

I seem to be having the opposite issue... I pumped three times at work today for 10-15 minutes and got 20oz (!!!). Baby only takes 11-12oz. Should I pump for less time or maybe just one side each session? We struggled with oversupply/overactive letdown at the beginning, so I don't want to aggravate that again!

No, the pump is less efficient and effective than baby, and your supply will regulate to your new routine. I'd continue pumping 3x at work for 10-15 minutes like you're doing. Hopefully your supply will regulate shortly, and you'll have a nice freezer stash to use later or donate. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I suspect my LO might be hitting the 3 month growth spurt, if that's a thing. He nursed a lot yesterday and started fussing and pulling on the nipple trying to get another letdown. I know he's probably working to increase my supply, but I return to work tomorrow and this makes me nervous! Do I need to pump more than anticipated during my shift?
  • Options

I suspect my LO might be hitting the 3 month growth spurt, if that's a thing. He nursed a lot yesterday and started fussing and pulling on the nipple trying to get another letdown. I know he's probably working to increase my supply, but I return to work tomorrow and this makes me nervous! Do I need to pump more than anticipated during my shift?

Nope! :) Baby will still need about 1oz per hour you're away. The volume of milk they take in doesn't really increase much, but the composition of the milk changes, and it become more calorie/nutrient dense, as they get older and need more. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you Emerald! :)
  • Options
    So jelly! I lost 15 lb in the first few week and then bounce up and down 5 lbs since. I am 12 weeks pp and still 30lb over pre-pregnancy. No matter what I do the scale doesn't budge.
  • Options
    ahrs said:

So jelly! I lost 15 lb in the first few week and then bounce up and down 5 lbs since. I am 12 weeks pp and still 30lb over pre-pregnancy. No matter what I do the scale doesn't budge.

9 months on, 9 months off! Be gentle with yourself! Just a few short months ago, you gave birth. Eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, and the weight will come off. It often starts to drop around 6 mo and is gone between 9 and 12 mo. EBF helps tremendously!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks that's encouraging. I eat healthy when I'm hungry and do a 10 minute trainer a few times a week. I am cautious with working out as it can lower supply.
  • Options
    ahrs said:

Thanks that's encouraging. I eat healthy when I'm hungry and do a 10 minute trainer a few times a week. I am cautious with working out as it can lower supply.

Normal exercise for the average breastfeeding mom will not lower supply. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    starla487 said:

@emerald27 You had posted instructions for paced bottle feeding a while back. I can't find it with a Google search. I thought it was a LLL tear sheet, but I don't think it is. My day care provider has never heard of it but seemed willing to learn. Just more worried about DD if she gets busy and someone else needs to feed DD. (There are four teachers total.)

Are these what you were searching for?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000000001WAB/WAB_Tear_sheet_Toolkit/22_bfabreastfedbaby.pdf

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

https://sdbfc.com/blog/2013/10/9/top-10-ways-to-stop-caregivers-from-overfeeding-your-breastf.html
    imageimage
  • Options
    starla487 said:

Hmm... I thought there was one more resource floating out there. It's fine though. I'll give her the LLL one and hope for the best.

There might be. I can see if I can dig up some others!
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    So yesterday I pumped 3 times during my work shift and got 12 ounces (4 total each pump). Today my first pump gave me just under 4 ounces, and the second pump gave me less than 3! I'm guessing my third pump will be even less. It's making me nervous! Is it normal for pump output to drop like this from one day to the next? This is only my second day back to work. I'm afraid my supply is going to tank :(

ETA: Pumped 3.5 ounces during my last session! Phew. That makes my total for the day 10 ounces. I can live with that!
  • Options
    Totally normal. Try to relax, do some breast massage and compressions, think about baby, and see if you can pump a bit more. :)
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"