October 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Support and Information

Support and encouragement for our O'14 breastfeeding mamas and babes!

Post your breastfeeding-related questions in this thread, and moms can respond with resources they found helpful or their own personal experiences.

----- Here are some helpful links for breastfeeding mothers -----

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Laid back breast feeding: https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000000001WAB/WAB_Tear_sheet_Toolkit/01_laid_back_breastfeeding.pdf

Mastitis symptoms and helpful treatments to stop it worsening: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Mastitis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Increasing milk supply thread from our own TheresaT858 https://www.thebump.com/interstitial_ad.html?originalUrl=https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12448116/how-to-increase-milk-supply-long

https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca

https://www.kellymom.com/

https://www.llli.org/toolkit
imageimage

Re: Breastfeeding Support and Information

• Options
    I've read just about everything about pumping and bottles for daycare, but I think I've already come across an issue. DS is 10 weeks and obviously doesn't have a schedule. He nurses about every 2-3 hours pretty much 24/7, but I've fed him on demand.

DS will be at daycare about 12 hours every day. I planned on taking five 3 ounces bottles. The problem I'm running into is that they feed one bottle per feeding. I told them when he roughly eats, but it's been on demand. So if he sleeps and doesn't eat for 4 hours, he will only get a 3 ounce bottle. If I fill them to 4 ounces each and he eats after two hours, they will only use that bottle once and the leftover will be given to me at the end of the day. This essentially wastes at least an ounce or two of my hard earned milk.

Any advice? I thought I could send some 3 ounce and some 4 ounce, but these ladies are extremely literal. I don't think that they would pick and choose the bottle based on his last feeding.

Example: I sent two thawed bottles and marked them "use first." She asked which one to use first because they both said first, and not first and then second. I also sent extra clothes with both a short sleeved and long sleeved onesie because I didn't know the temp of the room. When I picked him up he was wearing all of the clothes and getting warm.

Sorry so long. Here's a pizza cookie.
  • Options
    I have another "overthinker"-type question. DS has now slept two 7.5 hour stretches in the past three nights, which I'm so pleased about! However that is about 8.5 hours between feeds. I just woke up a little bit ago and my pajama shirt is soaking wet on one side. Is my supply going to suffer by these wonderfully long sleep stretches? I don't think I'll be so lucky that he'll sleep this long every night from here on out. He only went a 4 hour stretch the night between the two 7.5 hour stretches, so I want to make sure I'll still have MOTN milk for him when he needs it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have another "overthinker"-type question. DS has now slept two 7.5 hour stretches in the past three nights, which I'm so pleased about! However that is about 8.5 hours between feeds. I just woke up a little bit ago and my pajama shirt is soaking wet on one side. Is my supply going to suffer by these wonderfully long sleep stretches? I don't think I'll be so lucky that he'll sleep this long every night from here on out. He only went a 4 hour stretch the night between the two 7.5 hour stretches, so I want to make sure I'll still have MOTN milk for him when he needs it.

I'm not one of the experts, but I would probably pump at least once in the MOTN so you don't get engorged. Do you have a manual pump to keep next to your bed? If I ever get to sleep that much haha, that is what I plan on doing.
  • Options
    apk4 said:

I'm not one of the experts, but I would probably pump at least once in the MOTN so you don't get engorged. Do you have a manual pump to keep next to your bed? If I ever get to sleep that much haha, that is what I plan on doing.
    This! If you wake up engorged, dream feed or hand express or pump a bit to avoid plugged ducts. Your supply will adjust to baby's ever changing routine.
    imageimage
  • Options
    @apk4‌ If you have enough bottles, could you send 2oz and 1oz bottles and ask that they offer 2oz every 2 hours? Then suggest that they offer a 1oz bottle if LO is still hungry. Or send 3oz bottles to be offered every 3 hours, and send some 1oz bottles in case he is still hungry or goes longer between feedings and they need extra. LO should take about 1oz per hour you're away.
    imageimage
  • Options
    @emerald27 I could probably do that! I had to explain paced bottle feeding again because one of the ladies wanted to feed him a 4 ounce bottle every two hours. I'm going to see how today and the rest of the week go and adjust from there.
  • Options
    apk4 said:

@emerald27 I could probably do that! I had to explain paced bottle feeding again because one of the ladies wanted to feed him a 4 ounce bottle every two hours. I'm going to see how today and the rest of the week go and adjust from there.

Great! Explaining the 1oz per hour thing can really help. So if he's hungry and it's been 2 hours, offer 2oz, 3 hours, 3oz, etc.. That sort of thing is easy to follow. :)

I shared this in the other thread, but it has some more helpful tips:
    https://sdbfc.com/blog/2013/10/9/top-10-ways-to-stop-caregivers-from-overfeeding-your-breastf.html#.VKv9EEY8Lv4
    imageimage
  • Options
    How much vitamin D does a breastfed baby need a day? I think (think) that the pedi said to give DD 1 drop but the D-Vi-Sol says to give 1ml to a breastfed baby, which is a lot more than 1 drop. Now I'm confused on whether I heard the pedi right or not. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    vrj0522 said:

How much vitamin D does a breastfed baby need a day? I think (think) that the pedi said to give DD 1 drop but the D-Vi-Sol says to give 1ml to a breastfed baby, which is a lot more than 1 drop. Now I'm confused on whether I heard the pedi right or not. 

I use the baby D drops and pedi said to give DD one drop per day. We got a sample from my LC but were told that the amount to give varies by brand. Some other brands are less concentrated so they require more. Pedi said we could use whatever brand we wanted as long as we followed the dosage instructions. The baby D drops have 400 IU per drop.

• Options
    vrj0522 said:

AAP recommends supplementing baby with 400IU per day. You could alternatively supplement yourself with 2000IU-4000IU vitamin D per day. That gets both you and LO the vitamin D you need.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Is it really not possible to overfeed a breastfeed baby? I've read that so many times but I'm starting to call BS on it. I think my kid might be a goldfish and will eat until she explodes.

I feed on demand but dd is a comfort sucker and she wont tollerate any pacifier for very long so I think she's eating even when she's not hungry. She gags and coughs and spits up a lot more frequently lately and I'm pretty sure it's because her little tummy is too full. Sometimes she seems like shes gasping for air but then she'll just latch back on like its nothing and will literally suck away for another hour. She does this especially when she's tired as she prefers to be nursed to sleep.

Should I let her eat/suck as long as she wants or should I pull her off when she seems full? Maybe I'm over thinking this but I think she would nurse all day if I let her. I'm not worried about overfeeding her in terms of weight gain just in terms of her overfilling her tummy and making herself sick.

• Options
    vrj0522 said:

I use D-Vi-Sol and give the full 1 ml dropper per pediatrician instructions. I have heard of other vitamin D supplements that are more concentrated so require only a drop, but my DS really loves the taste of D-Vi-Sol and gets excited when I show him the dropper. I don't want to take away his tasty treat so I'm just sticking with what he likes :)
  • Options
    staryb said:

Is it really not possible to overfeed a breastfeed baby? I've read that so many times but I'm starting to call BS on it. I think my kid might be a goldfish and will eat until she explodes.

I feed on demand but dd is a comfort sucker and she wont tollerate any pacifier for very long so I think she's eating even when she's not hungry. She gags and coughs and spits up a lot more frequently lately and I'm pretty sure it's because her little tummy is too full. Sometimes she seems like shes gasping for air but then she'll just latch back on like its nothing and will literally suck away for another hour. She does this especially when she's tired as she prefers to be nursed to sleep.

Should I let her eat/suck as long as she wants or should I pull her off when she seems full? Maybe I'm over thinking this but I think she would nurse all day if I let her. I'm not worried about overfeeding her in terms of weight gain just in terms of her overfilling her tummy and making herself sick.

The gagging/coughing has to do with the flow of milk. That sounds a lot like what my DS does, because I have a very forceful letdown.

How long is she nursing? Like an hour per session?

I hesitate to withhold from a baby who is actively nursing, even if she's nursing for a long time or frequently and spitting up (which often peaks around 4mo), which also occurs more often when mom has a forceful letdown. Side-lying nursing may help. Lay a towel or cloth diaper under you and baby so that the excess milk can flow out the corner of LO's mouth.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Ive been getting nauseous while breastfeeding for about a week now. Any idea why?
  • Options
    Cantisa said:

How can you tell if milk supply is dwindling ? I am only able to pump every 4 hours at work and get 4-5oz per pump session. I take 20-25 min and I'm pretty sure that's my Max capacity :disappointed: my lo eats 3oz every 3 hours but I can't keep up with her extra ounces here and there when she's still hungry. Pumping and working is hard!

Getting 4-5oz after waiting 4oz to pump is normal. Is there any way you could use your hand pump half way in between pumping sessions for just a few minutes? Even just doing that once would help. That will get you those extra couple oz LO might need and will keep your breasts from becoming very full between pumping sessions.

You might also consider adding a couple weekend pumping sessions or a morning session before you leave for work.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited January 2015
    Cantisa said:

Emerald27 said:

Cantisa said:

How can you tell if milk supply is dwindling ? I am only able to pump every 4 hours at work and get 4-5oz per pump session. I take 20-25 min and I'm pretty sure that's my Max capacity :disappointed: my lo eats 3oz every 3 hours but I can't keep up with her extra ounces here and there when she's still hungry. Pumping and working is hard!

Getting 4-5oz after waiting 4oz to pump is normal. Is there any way you could use your hand pump half way in between pumping sessions for just a few minutes? Even just doing that once would help. That will get you those extra couple oz LO might need and will keep your breasts from becoming very full between pumping sessions.

You might also consider adding a couple weekend pumping sessions or a morning session before you leave for work.
    If I feed her before I go and when I get home can I add car sessions in or would those be too close to when she eats? I have a 25 min commute
    Go for it! After doing it for a few days, your body will get the hint that you'd like to pump in the car and will make milk for you then. :)

ETA: with such a short commute i'd skip the one on the way home.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Silly question but Brooke is 12 weeks old and her nursing sessions are averaging about 5-7 minutes. I don't know if she is just super efficient or what. When I pump I pretty much get 2-3 ounces in about 7 minutes but that is from both sides and she only nurses on one side at a time. I offer both.

She is still wetting diapers and growing. Am I worrying about nothing? I just feel like 5 minutes isn't enough!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    Ok, it was briefly discussed in the other BF thread but I have question about rotating my freezer stash into the supply I send to dd's daycare. I plan to start sending in frozen stash milk on Monday and freezing all that i pump on friday. I have a rather large stash dating back to late September when my milk was still yellowish from colostrum. I've stored it in our extra freezer that is only used for storing my bm. I know it's nutritionally best to give bm that is closest to lo's age, but I don't want to waist what I have stored from the past. Also, dd fluctuates with how much she eats at daycare from 3-8oz total in the 8.5 hours she's there. What's your advice? What if I send in the older milk and she only eats 3 Oz that day? Is there a smarter more efficient way to do this?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    How do I handle the weekends? I just started back to work Monday and I currently wake LO up to feed before we leave, feed once we get to daycare, I pump both sides one time and one side an additional time to get a total of 9oz usually that she eats the next day. I feed when I pick her up and then on demand between getting home and going to bed. I'm just wondering how much I should stick to this on days off.
  • Options
    cmcookaln said:

How do I handle the weekends? I just started back to work Monday and I currently wake LO up to feed before we leave, feed once we get to daycare, I pump both sides one time and one side an additional time to get a total of 9oz usually that she eats the next day. I feed when I pick her up and then on demand between getting home and going to bed. I'm just wondering how much I should stick to this on days off.

Unless you need more oz for LO during the week than you're getting from pumping at work, I would just enjoy LO and EBF on weekends. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    If my breasts seem to empty after 10 minutes of pumping, should I continue to pump until I reach 15 minutes of pump time or is it okay to stop? And on the flip side, if milk is still flowing after I've been pumping for 15 minutes, am I good to stop anyway or do I need to keep going til they empty? The latter hasn't actually happened to me, but since my breaks are only 15 minutes I hope to not need to pump longer than that. I go back to work in 2 weeks and am just very nervous about everything!
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited January 2015

If my breasts seem to empty after 10 minutes of pumping, should I continue to pump until I reach 15 minutes of pump time or is it okay to stop? And on the flip side, if milk is still flowing after I've been pumping for 15 minutes, am I good to stop anyway or do I need to keep going til they empty? The latter hasn't actually happened to me, but since my breaks are only 15 minutes I hope to not need to pump longer than that. I go back to work in 2 weeks and am just very nervous about everything!

If your breasts are emptied you can stop, even if it's before 15 minutes. I would aim to pump at least the number of oz between pumping sessions, so if you're pumping every 3 hours, at least 3oz. If your breasts feel empty but you've only pumped 2oz, I might continue to pump for another letdown and see if I can get one more oz.

Extra oz are always helpful, so I don't usually recommend stopping just because you have the milk you need. If you get to 3 and milk is still flowing, keep pumping until you've emptied your breasts. If you pump frequently enough, it's unlikely that you would need more than about 15 minutes to empty your breasts. :)

ETA: @theresat858‌ might have some more recs since she is our expert pumper. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    @Emerald27‌, sometimes she will nurse for over an hour. I don't mind it, I'm pretty used to it by now, I just figured that at 12 weeks she should be getting a bit more efficient. Plus the gaging thing is new. Sometimes I do pull her off and she seems perfectly happy and then goes a couple of hours before eating again but if I leave her on she keeps going. I guess I'll just let her go as long as its OK.

Honesty I sometimes feel like I'm being lazy just letting her nurse so long rather than playing with her or interacting with her in some other way.

• Options
    Does this pumping schedule sound good/okay? I need 15 ounces because I'm gone for 12 hours and I want him to have an extra bottle just in case. 

I've been pumping at 4:30am, nurse him at 6 before daycare, pump again at 9:00am, 11:30am, 2:00pm, and then again on my way home at 5:00pm.

Could I go a little longer periods and still get enough ounces? I haven't reached my 5 o'clock session yet and I have 14.8 ounces so far. I can make this schedule work, but I feel like as soon as I'm getting stuff done I have to take a break. 
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    apk4 said:
    Does this pumping schedule sound good/okay? I need 15 ounces because I'm gone for 12 hours and I want him to have an extra bottle just in case. 

I've been pumping at 4:30am, nurse him at 6 before daycare, pump again at 9:00am, 11:30am, 2:00pm, and then again on my way home at 5:00pm.

Could I go a little longer periods and still get enough ounces? I haven't reached my 5 o'clock session yet and I have 14.8 ounces so far. I can make this schedule work, but I feel like as soon as I'm getting stuff done I have to take a break. 
    It sounds like a reasonable schedule. If you're pumping on your way home, is it an option to pump on your way to work?   I often find I get a lot of milk in my morning pumping sessions even after nursing baby, more than I get in the afternoon. you could try spacing your daytime sessions to every 3 hours - so 9am, 12pm, 3pm - and see how it goes. 
    Yes, I could pump on my way to work. I will probably try and play around with the timing a little and see what I can get worked out. I also may bring my manual pump and just use it. I feel like I got more out of that at home than I did with my PISA at work.

ETA: Thank you!!
  • Options
    The last two days DD has nursed liked a mad woman as soon as I get home. Both days she had 2oz bottle a hour before I got home so not necessarily time to fed again but it's my first week back so I know it's for comfort/closeness. My question is though within 5-10 of nursing she has pulled off and spit up a pretty good amount. Is she ignoring the fact she's full to stay on the breast and making herself sick in return or just coincidence that's its happened two days in a row. Thanks ladies!
    January Snow Fail

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    ajh1230 said:

The last two days DD has nursed liked a mad woman as soon as I get home. Both days she had 2oz bottle a hour before I got home so not necessarily time to fed again but it's my first week back so I know it's for comfort/closeness. My question is though within 5-10 of nursing she has pulled off and spit up a pretty good amount. Is she ignoring the fact she's full to stay on the breast and making herself sick in return or just coincidence that's its happened two days in a row. Thanks ladies!

Probably a mixture of things. Most likely has to do with how quickly she's downing the milk, and how positively your body reacts to being reunited with her. It's also most likely mostly saliva mixed with milk, making it look like a lot more than it is.

It's really nothing to worry about. Just enjoy nursing your baby and reuniting after the separation. :) She and your body will settle down again as they get used to the new routine.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the help @Emerald27‌ and @crawford411. It had been quite stressful going back, especially since the sub didn't do anything that I left got her to do so now I'm trying to play catch up on top of worrying about leaving LO at daycare and figuring out her eating.
  • Options

STUPID Q: Can I freeze milk I pumped on Sunday? It's been in the fridge this whole time.
    @theresat858 @emerald27

Yes! Mark it that it was frozen 4 days after pumping and plan to sniff/taste it before offering to LO. But it's fine I'm sure. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I went back to work this week :(( while LO is at the sitters he is taking in up to 11 ounces in 8 hours. Does this sound right?
    I've had to pump 5 x's a day (24hr period) to keep up! At that rate I feel like I'll never be able to keep up! Monday I was able to pump what he ate but since then output has dwindled. I have a good size stash, but don't want to use it all up in the first month back! HELP!
  • Options

mlhw NH said:

I went back to work this week :(( while LO is at the sitters he is taking in up to 11 ounces in 8 hours. Does this sound right?
    I've had to pump 5 x's a day (24hr period) to keep up! At that rate I feel like I'll never be able to keep up! Monday I was able to pump what he ate but since then output has dwindled. I have a good size stash, but don't want to use it all up in the first month back! HELP!

11 ounces is normal for 8 hours. How long are you able to pump for each session? Are you doing what you can to increase pump output? Breast compressions, using a hands free bra, right size pump flanges, look at pictures or video of baby (a sound recording of baby's cry can help mom get a letdown), hit the letdown button again when flow slows, bring something that smells like baby and smell it before/during pumping. Some moms pump more if they use a cover to hide the pump bottles. Make sure pump valves/membranes are new.
    @theresat858‌ - thank you! I've been pumping 2-20 min sessions and 3- 30 min sessions. 20 min sessions are at work. 2 of the 30 min sessions are in the AM before work ( 2 AM and 5 AM)

I will try changing out the membranes. I called the LC, maybe she can check the pressure and flanges for me.

I am using compression/massage and pictures of baby. My pump doesn't have a let down button, but I have tried changing the speed periodically which doesn't seem to make a difference for me.
  • Options

starla487 said:

Could something be "wrong" with my milk in general, which is why DD isn't gaining weight? The LCs at today's meeting couldn't really give me a solution because they weren't sure what her pedi's "goal weight" per week should be. (I'm still waiting for a response from her with today's stats.)

Basically she only gained 9 oz in two weeks. I feed on demand, and sometimes that means I feel like I'm feeding her every 45 minutes to an hour during the day. On a good day, every two hours. At night, she feeds every four. Each feeding is about 8-10 minutes long. So, if I were to try and supplement, there really isn't any time to! And this makes calculating daycare portions difficult, especially if she can take 2 oz from one boob in that time allottment.

Also, I need the resources for why breast milk is "better" than formula, as my mother accused me of starving my child because I don't want to offer her formula instead of the zillions of ounces of expressed milk I have in the fridge. (Because, again, something is "wrong" with it.)
    9 ounces in two weeks isn't bad. That's 0.64 ounces per day. Normal range for bf babies is 0.5-1. Even if your pedi goes by the more conservative 5-7 ounces/week, you're only an ounce short - that's a pee or poop before weigh in.

There is nothing wrong with your milk. Or your Los weight gain.
    This! Did your pedi say what he/she hoped to see weight-gain wise per week? I feel like this is not completely outside the realm of normal. Also, did the pedi assess LO's disposition? And what has diaper output been like?

I'll PM you some resources for your mom. It is so hard not to have positive encouragement from your family. ((Hugs))
    imageimage
  • Options
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Kellymom.com
    imageimage
  • Options

So today I learned I can do ok w just the manual pump but my wrist is tired.

I might have missed it in randoms if you posted about it already. Why didn't you have your double electric? Just trying out the manual?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hi ladies! Today on the way to work at 5:30am I tried to pump and had an epic fail. I was using my new hands free bra and couldn't get a let down. The bra is pretty tight so I thought maybe that was the problem. I pumped less than 0.25 oz total. It pretty much just coated the bottom of the bottles. I was so stressed out and it was dark and 0 degrees out. I couldn't do anything to get a let down (and then the stress probably wasn't helping). I felt like crying, because that is usually my biggest pump of the day (only like 5 oz total, but that's big for me). I got to work and decided to try my manual pump before I clocked in and was able to get about 4 oz, so I know there was milk in there.

Later in the day, I used the hands free bra successfully. The last pump of the day, I actually started to let down right after I put the flanges on but before I turned the pump on. I was wearing the bra again, so my earlier theory of the bra being too tight seems to be inconsistent with the rest of the day.

What the hell? Any advice how to prevent this from happening again? I'm wondering if it was the 0 degree weather? I pumped 3 other times in the car before and it was cold, but not that cold. I just need to figure this out because I need to have that 4-5 oz in the am in order to keep up with DD while I'm away. I would hate to pump before I leave for work because pumping while I am on my way allows me to push my first break back about an hour, which is really helpful. It's hard to fit 3 pumps into my really busy 10.5 hour workday as it is. I'm sorry for rambling, I think you can sense my stress. One of my biggest fears is being unable to continue to breastfeed DD because of work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @rosalie12 I'm not sure. Could you test your cold theory tomorrow by starting up the car early and letting it warm up for several minutes before you leave? It will be ok. :)
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"