August 2015 Moms
Options

didn't take the news well

Anyone else tell someone important to them the news and they flipped?
Not a good feeling.

Re: didn't take the news well

• Options
    Lemon200Lemon200 member
    edited January 2015
    My boyfriend's father is still not 100% on board. When we told them, he didn't really say anything, he didn't congratulate us, all he said was "Yep, kids change things."

Even a month later he purses his lips and disengages from the conversation when anything baby related comes up. It upsets me but at the end of the day I'm having this baby and he can either be unhappy in his corner or join in the excitement. I try to not let it affect my day. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had that happen my first pregnancy. Someone who was supposed to be my best friend actually hung up on me, called my mother, and started yelling about how I was ruining my life. Not a good feeling at all. Then, when I lost that baby, I couldn't turn to her for support.
    Pregnancy #1 - 2009, lost at 5.5 weeks
    Pregnancy #2 - 2011, healthy baby boy
    Pregnancy #3 - 2014, blighted ovum, lost at 10 weeks
    Pregnancy #4 - 2015, due 8/8/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds like this person is less important than you thought. You don't need any negativity.
  • Options
    Everyone has been happy for use, except my dad.  His response, "One more?  Why not 6 more?  Seriously, what were you thinking?"  My response..."Whatever the F*** I want to be thinking!!"

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

SURPRISE!!!  Emma Leigh - due 8/27/2015 (c-section date 8/7/2015)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My Mother-in-Laws response was "uh oh". I was like seriously?
  • Options
    I told my younger brother and he said, he didn't need to have another niece or nephew he wasn't able to see (distance). I said too late, the deed is done. And he was like, oh, I didn't think you guys were that serious.

My BF is six years younger than me, that's why, and two years younger than my brother.
  • Options
    Not told anyone apart from the father he not spoke since @-)
  • Options
    I am nine weeks. DH and I are still keeping the secret.

Sorry to hear but brush it off & focus your energy on those who are happy for you.
  • Options
    The only people who didnt take it well was the in laws. They gave us a spectacular speech on how we aren't ready for a baby and how we cant afford it and how we wont be able to raise it right.
    I haven't talked to them since. At least my side of the family and my husband are on my side.
  • Options
    I haven't had any negativey yet, but I have not told my brother, and I know its not going to go well. He has never been happy for me about anything in my life, he is mean, so I know he is going to say something to hurt me. I might end up cutting him out of my life depending on how he response. 
    Aug. 15 - Jan. Siggy Challenge "Mean Girls" Mona Vanderwaal Pretty Little Liars  Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Well I feel better that im not alone in this boat! It sucks when it is coming from your own mother who said "well this is terrible news". So yes she can sit in her own sad corner or join in. I guess I was just expecting a different response.
  • Options
    Told my brother and his wife on Christmas eve. They were really silent and then his wife ran to the bathroom crying. Still my brother says nothing then I get called to the bathroom by the wife and she tells me they have been trying with no luck. I had no idea. So awkward. Not one congratulations.
  • Options
    Not yet, but I am dreading telling my parents for this reason. If they are not happy for us then they don't have to be a part of our lives. I am 30 years old and have been on my own since 18...I don't need the negativity. In laws couldn't be happier tho!
  • Options
    I got negative reactions from my parents and someone who was suppose to be my best friends. My parents said I was dooming myself to a life of poverty and unfulfilled dreams. And my best friend told me to give my baby up for adoption
  • Options
    I have someone who I'm waiting to tell for this reason. She didn't do so well when i got married and had since made amends but I'm worried that this will be the final nail in the coffin of our friendship.
  • Options
    My brother said, "Uhhh, so does this mean I have to be an uncle?" He hates kids; I wasn't surprised. He's still super awkward around my son, but he's an awkward person in general. 
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lots of bad reactions. Hang in there.
    Jan Siggy

• Options
    Told the BIL , he and his wife have been married 2 years and trying to conceive, but we had to tell the news and the only response was "ok"

I feel bad for people like that, if you choose to be miserable that's your problem.

Sorry for your unexpected reactions! Just focus on your family :)
  • Options
    My s.o.'s grand parents said "oh no, that's not good" and truthfully that besides my 13y/o sisters responce of "I don't want to be an aunt" (please read that with as much whining as you can muster) that was the worst. But, my great grandmother who, really, comes from a diffrent time, asked me if I was thrilled. She knows that, if it had been possible, we would have been married last year.
  • Options
    KirianaTi said:

evolala13 said:

Told the BIL , he and his wife have been married 2 years and trying to conceive, but we had to tell the news and the only response was "ok"

I feel bad for people like that, if you choose to be miserable that's your problem.

Sorry for your unexpected reactions! Just focus on your family :)

IF is incredibly stressful. It was always hard for me to cope with others' announcements.

I had IF issues. We tried for 6 years before this blessing. I was always happy and over the moon for my friends/family that got pregnant. I would never wish IF issues on anyone and even though I know its fuatrating I would never act so rude toward a person giving me such wonderful news. Those people are going to want others to be happy for them when they get pregnant so they should offer the same courtesy. I hate when people use excuses for being an ass.
  • Options
    We told my fiancés mom and sister last night... it wasn't really positive OR negative. It was sort of "oh....."

I know that his sister has wanted children for years, and I am empathetic to her situation. I should also add- my fiancé was once married to a less than lovely lady who made things a living hell for all of them. I think they will come around, but until then- MY family is insanely excited.
  • Options
    I didn't know my brother and SIL were TTC but after I told them and they reacted the way they did I didn't blame them for not reacting the way I wanted them to. Its hard to put your own feelings aside for the sake of others. Especially when it has to do with something so sensitive. I'm the unmarried 21 year old little sister that got pregnant before my brother who married to his high school sweetheart. I feel bad but at the same time am happy.
  • Options

Told my brother and his wife on Christmas eve. They were really silent and then his wife ran to the bathroom crying. Still my brother says nothing then I get called to the bathroom by the wife and she tells me they have been trying with no luck. I had no idea. So awkward. Not one congratulations.

My SIL announced their third while my husband and I were in the midst of having been trying for a while. We had fertility issues. I think you should be more sensitive and try to understand what their going through. I was happy for my SIL, however, at the same time I wanted nothing to do with her while we were still trying. Being surrounded by her little ones running around and seeing her pregnant belly was just a constant reminder of what my husband and I longed for, it was very painful. Show some compassion to her and it will go a long way....they need your support.
  • Options
    My mother freaked!!! I think it was more of a mid-life crisis kind of thing, but she freakened nonetheless. I'm not looking forward to telling my FIL. Both husband and I know it won't be nice.
  • Options
    @poppymt40‌ okay for one you don't know what I did. I cried with my SIL because I know how much she's always wanted kids. Its heartbreaking to watch them go through that. So don't tell me I should have been more sensitive. After they told me that the rest of the night I didn't say anything more about me being pregnant. And it did hurt me that my brother couldn't even say congratulations.. but those are my feelings and I don't have to be sorry for being a little sad.
  • Options

@poppymt40‌ " And it did hurt me that my brother couldn't even say congratulations.."

He was probably too focused on his wife's (and his own) grief to focus on how YOU were feeling at that very moment. He loves you, you know he'll be happy for you. Why isn't that enough? They've been through a lot if they've struggled with infertility. Cut them some slack on the whole "celebrating your pregnancy" for a minute.

My sister in law and her husband struggled for years and weren't able to have children at all. When we told them, she basically told us off about telling people because we might lose the baby. Then was mad we'd told DH's mom before her. Was I upset? No. We struggled with IF and losses too so I understood that her words were coming from the pain related to their situation. After a few days, when her emotions settled down, she congratulated us. I'm sure it was tough for her to do that, but she did, and we only mention the pregnancy if she brings it up.

Try not to be so focused on getting your desired response. They're dealing with a lot and will likely congratulate you later.
  • Options
    @GirlOnTheBeach‌ maybe you shouldn't be so focused on that one line. It is enough. I'm not focused on myself at all. I feel terrible that they are going through this. So stop jumping on my case when all I have is love and support for them. I told my SIL that if I could trade places with her I would. Not that I want to have fertility issues but they are in a much better place in their lives to have children right now.

People shouldn't jump on others cases when they don't know everything.
  • Options
    evolala13 said:
    Told the BIL , he and his wife have been married 2 years and trying to conceive, but we had to tell the news and the only response was "ok" I feel bad for people like that, if you choose to be miserable that's your problem. Sorry for your unexpected reactions! Just focus on your family :)
    You specifically pointed this out like you knew it was the reason for his response and still have the nerve to say "I feel bad for people like that, if you choose to be miserable that's your problem."? Also, it seems your BIL and his wife are part of that family that you should focus a little more on, IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    # 1
    BFP: 9/17/2013, EDD: 6/1/2014
    Welcome to the World, Brielle Lorraine: 5/23/2014 @ 2:01pm, 6lbs 6oz, 19.75in
    # 2
    BFP: 12/12/2014, EDD: 8/25/2015
  • Options

@GirlOnTheBeach‌ maybe you shouldn't be so focused on that one line. It is enough. I'm not focused on myself at all. I feel terrible that they are going through this. So stop jumping on my case when all I have is love and support for them. I told my SIL that if I could trade places with her I would. Not that I want to have fertility issues but they are in a much better place in their lives to have children right now.

People shouldn't jump on others cases when they don't know everything.

My point is that, you say it's enough and still, even after saying you'd switch places with her, after seeing how upset she was, after feeling so terrible they are going through this, you still expected them to say congratulations at that time. Some people have a hard time pulling themselves together in emotional situations.

All I said was to give them some time and they would likely congratulate you later. If you think that's jumping on your case, life is going to be very hard to deal with. Telling you to give them time was not jumping on your case.
  • Options
    My family completely disowned me. It DOESNT matter what anyone else in the entire world think if you and your partner are happy that's all that matters. be strong n believe in ur decision!!!!! congrats girl, be proud!!!!!!!!!!! No one else has to live your life but you :) remember ... a lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of sheep :) head up!!!!!
  • Options
    My sister in law (husbands brothers wife, in this family through marriage as well) gave me the silent treatment the day we told the family and then told my mother in law "don't worry, I'll give you a granddaughter one day". It all made no sense to me because 1) grandparents just want healthy babies, not a specific gender and 2) I could be having a girl?! Last I checked there's a 50/50 chance!
    It was a weird Christmas to say the least but didn't change how happy we are, just sucks she's not happy for us.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My dad nearly passed out... He's been saying for months that he isn't ready to be a grandpa. He pretended to be happy, which was just as painful. His sister was pissed! She kept telling me on Thanksgiving that she wanted us to wait a "LONG" time. She was even super aggressive about whether or not I told my dad before we told everyone else. And waa even more angry when we revealed that we told my grandparents two weeks before. Christmas was super awkward for us
    BabyFruit Ticker

image      image

• Options
    I am in my mid 20's and have been married for 2 years and my in laws did not take the news well. Rather, they can not put aside their differences and squabbling to be happy that their first grandkid is on the way. We have already been told that they don't forsee having a role in this child's life. Their loss
  • Options
    My sister was a downer because she dont like my feonce but she will get over it and be happy soon ...
  • Options
    Bleh. Sorry to read. Negativity isn't worth the time or stress!!
  • Options
    My mom wasn't on board.  We threw our fits and I reminded her that it's still her grand kid, so she needed to get over it and at least fake it, and get used to the notion bc I still wanted another one after this one.  She's doing a good job trying, God bless her!  She adores kid1 and kid2, but felt 'complete' with them.  lol as if it's her decision!  I think it helped that my grandmother told her to get over it, too.
    About Me: My Aug15 BMB Intro
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers beach
    Aug 15 BMB Jan Siggy Challenge: Mean Girls ... tbd
    Pregnancy%20ticker BabyGaga BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"