March 2015 Moms
Options

I Didn't Expect...

As a FTM i know that i had all these visions and expectations in my head about what pregnancy would be like but i realize now that my only experience and knowledge has come from movies and TV and pictures and what not and a lot of things have not exactly happened the way i thought it would so for me:

I didn't expect my stomach to be soft like it is. I guess i really thought that at some point your during your pregnancy your stomach turns into a hard basketball and stays like that lol my stomach is definitely harder but it is mostly still squishy lol

So what about my other FTMs? What misconception did you have about being pregnant that didn't quite happen the way you thought it would? And even STMs? Anything you thought would happen again for sure but didn't?
Pregnancy Ticker

imagephoto pgal_zps8d04c926.pngphoto mom2015_zpsb124dd59.pngimage

March 15' January Siggy Callenge: Animals Being Jerks
photo jerks_zpsk4p1dtwb.gif

photo candle_zpslg8yegqf.gif
For @suzyq0525 and all of our other M15 loss moms

Re: I Didn't Expect...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think my surprises have been similar to @wishiwaspreggo.  There were symptoms I expected and never got, but I never expected to be debilitated by anemia during the first trimester.  

I've also been caught off guard by people's expectations of what my pregnancy should be like.  I gave in and told my dad I had morning sickness because it was easier to explain than anemia; my aunt insists that I wore Spanx to my sister's wedding (I think I was around 12 - 13 weeks then, and not showing, plus probably down close to 10 lbs from my starting weight at that point).  

I'm 33 weeks right now, and it's just been the last week that people who I interact with but wouldn't necessary have announced to have started asking others - this week I've had two colleagues let me know that they've been asked if I was "with child".  With maternity leave on my mind, it may not be great that the pregnancy hasn't been as obvious as I would have expected it this far along (and I'm partly to blame - I don't really talk about my personal life at work, so announcing I was pregnant in the office was a big departure for me).  
  • Options
    I thought I'd be so much more hungry than I am. I didn't expect constant bloated feeling. I didn't expect so many people to think that I need to always "take it easy".
  • Options
    I didn't expect to enjoy pregnancy or have a bond before the baby was born. I've been very fortunate to have a pregnancy without a lot of complication and I've actually really enjoyed the experience and may even miss it once its over. I feared my motherly instinct wouldn't kick in but I am also so connected to my son, I talk to him everyday.
  • Options
    @Biscotto‌ same!! I thought I'd be eating everything in sight. Too bad I already feel full the majority of the day and huge meals are a thing of the distant past. It's annoying really, if something tastes really good and I can only eat a few bites. There's just no room for food in there lol
  • Options
    I also didn't expect to not have any cravings. Literally, I have had ZERO cravings.

I didn't expect to not be able to eat some foods that I love, like broccoli (first tri was brutal - I can eat it now).

I totally expected to have the typical symptoms - morning sickness, constipation, back pain, etc. I didn't expect to have such a smooth pregnancy overall.
  • Options

I didn't expect to enjoy pregnancy or have a bond before the baby was born. I've been very fortunate to have a pregnancy without a lot of complication and I've actually really enjoyed the experience and may even miss it once its over. I feared my motherly instinct wouldn't kick in but I am also so connected to my son, I talk to him everyday.

Yea this! I mean we talk about the baby like she is already here. And the whole saying that a woman becomes a mother when she gets pregnant and a man becomes a father when their child is born kinda rings true. What i mean is that my SO is super involved and super excited but i don't think he is quite as bonded with the baby already like i am. Like i still get excited about every little thing. Every piece of clothing or accessory that i buy and every little kick. With him, I'm pretty sure he will leave me if i bring home anymore baby clothes lol but i can't help it. And at night when she starts kicking i know he is happy about it and really trys hard to make it seem like he is as happy add i am but i know he is really thinking "yes i know she is kicking again like she does every night" lol but i think that once she is born he will probably be swooning over her more then i will lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @Amoreenamarlin‌ i am right there with you except with my SO as i don't have any other kids. He is just so excited about this baby and so anxious for her to get here that just thinking about the first time he gets to hold her just about makes me loose it right now. When that time actually gets here i will probably just full on loose it!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    As a STM I really just figured this pregnancy would pretty much be like the first one with just a few differences. I did not, however, take into consideration that I was 24 the first time and 32 the second time. Holy crap, it's completely different!

@drudolph11‌ I never got the hard bump either. With either pregnancy. Since its squishy I can't really wear cute maternity tops so I live in my scrubs :)
  • Options
    I didn't expect pregnancy brain to be real. I thought it was just kind of a joke. No. That shit is real.

I also didn't expect the snoring! Doesn't matter if it's a nap or sleeping at night. OMFG. Some nights, my H sleeps on couch because my snoring is so bad. And that's after he's tried wearing ear plugs.

• Options
    Skrittens said:

I totally expected to be cute and love every second of being pregnant. I thought I'd have the best maternity wardrobe and be totally natural and glowy. I was going to have the most awesome maternity photos, scrap book and journal. I tried long and hard enough to get pregnant and I had the perfect vision of myself.

But I hated EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of the first trimester.

I feel like a fat ugly blump. My vegan diet got replaced with food fit for a truck driver. I can't even find my make up, and purse match my shoes? My 4-10x a week yoga practice? Turned into 4 times this pregnancy. The thought of physical activity makes me sick. My cooking hobby? I'll eat brownie mix before I will make brownies. I got so angry my MIL posted a pregnant picture of me on Facebook because I felt so fat and ugly my H refuses to let me spend money on maternity photos.

But I don't think I ever got pregnancy brain - just a little over tired. I'm actually sleeping ok, have yet to really pee my pants, and actually feel better in the third trimester. And feeling the little man squirm around is kind of cool. Oh - and I hate being on bedrest - I never imagined that would happen!

So, TL;DR - I'm not experiencing any of the fun superficial pregnancy things I thought I would, the first trimester was worse than I ever could have imagined, but the second and third have been pretty easy - except for sucky bedrest.

I second this! I feel like a cat squeezing into doll clothes everyday for work! Ohhhh an I pee my pants all the time:(
  • Options

@Amoreenamarlin‌ i am right there with you except with my SO as i don't have any other kids. He is just so excited about this baby and so anxious for her to get here that just thinking about the first time he gets to hold her just about makes me loose it right now. When that time actually gets here i will probably just full on loose it!

As emotional as you think you'll be in this moment..multiply it by 100. Truly, there was nothing more amazing than seeing my husband with our daughter for the first time..especially since they don't get to feel and bond with them in the womb the way that we do. It's been almost 5 years for us, so I'm incredibly excited to get to experience that all over again. Definitely enjoy those moments @drudolph11‌ :)
  • Options
    I'm weird- I didn't expect to be so void of emotion. I always heard pregnant women are more hormonal than normal ones but not only am I not crazy emotional, but I'm calmer and less quick to anger or years than when I wasn't pregnant!! But... Definitely more prone to worry. Like... x1000.
  • Options
    A few things I didn't expect:
    1.) 40 weeks to seem so long. I feel like time is moving at a snails pace. I am so ready for March to come and to meet our little guy. 
    2.) I thought I'd have a lot more weird cravings and food aversions. I'm pretty much eating just as I normally did (though in trimester 1 I didn't want to eat anything). Since then, I'm back to status quo, though I'm a bit unhealthier and let myself have more treats than I did before. I figure now that I've cut out the calories from beer and wine I need some indulgence!
    3.) I had no idea how tired I would be but still unable to sleep. So frustrating how achy my back and hips are, and lying in bed at night unable to find a comfortable position or sleep. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My stomach is a hard little basketball.  :)  My co-worker was flipping coins off of it the other day.  But it wasn't like this with my first!  This time around I'm realizing just how different each pregnancy is.  There are a few similar things, like the position she's in is the same as the position DS was in so I'm getting kicked in the same spot, but otherwise things are very different!

But the biggest surprises for me came during labor.  Like you my only experience with that was from TV shows like Baby Story and movies.  It wasn't like anything I'd ever seen on any of those shows!  For one, I didn't know that when your water breaks it might just keep refilling and gushing if the baby hadn't dropped.  It was very uncomfortable and a little traumatizing to be experiencing that for my first hour of labor.  I also knew you bled after delivery, but I didn't realize how much you an bleed DURING delivery.  It also freaked me out.  Knowing it now it won't surprise me or weird me out, but it did then.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I'm going to sound whiny, but I didn't think it would be so hard. I thought that was just in the movies or something. Maybe I have always been around people who hide it well, but I don't know.

I am more tired/sore than I thought it would be. I have realized that morning sickness and pregnancy brain are real. I have realized that oxygen should be cherished.

There is a part of me that wants to do this again just to see what a normal singleton pregnancy is like.

• Options
    This is my 3rd. I had no idea that I could have extra fluid. I was use to being uncomfortable in the first 2 but I am in pain this time like all the time.
  • Options
    I haven't had any crazy cravings either, which I didn't expect. I have never sent my husband out at midnight for anything redonk!
    I also thought I would have gained much more weight by now. I am only up 14lbs by my Dr's scale.
    I also never realized the realness of baby brain! Holy cow!
    And I never realized it was possible to love a little person so much without meeting him yet

Married the love of my life: 5-17-14

BFP:6-27-14

EDD:3-11-15

Step Mom to Z: 4-11-06

IT'S A BOY!!!!!!

• Options
    I didn't expect pregnancy brain to be real. I thought it was just kind of a joke. No. That shit is real.

I also didn't expect the snoring! Doesn't matter if it's a nap or sleeping at night. OMFG. Some nights, my H sleeps on couch because my snoring is so bad. And that's after he's tried wearing ear plugs.
    The snoring! I swear I start snoring before I even fall asleep sometimes! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    corabrie said:

The snoring! I swear I start snoring before I even fall asleep sometimes! 

This!!!! I was snoring on a conference call today. Fully awake!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• Options
    Is it weird that I didn't know what I was expecting? It was like I couldn't even wrap my mind around the concept of ME being PREGNANT.

But I also second the snoring. My poor husband. I'm just hoping it doesn't happen one of these days when I'm dozing off in conference...
    Also, @lawsonellis‌ - I am totally with you :). I haven't cried at a single movie or TV show since I got KU which is completely weird for me.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't realize how tired and sore I'd be the second time around. I felt amazing during my first pregnancy. I was a rock star, and nothing held me back. This time, I am pooped. I have no energy. I'm a trooper though, and I make myself do things, and go out and have fun. But it's not easy this time.

Another weird thing I didn't expect, was being so nauseous during labor :( I was so very sick throughout my long labor. I am dreading that more than the pain right now. I hope it isn't as bad this time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I didn't expect how different this pregnancy could be from my first. With DS I didn't show, I had all the energy in the world, and did pretty much everything by myself (DH was in the USN at the time and was gone A LOT). This pregnancy I am all out in front, so much more uncomfortable and in genuine amounts of hip and back pain, I can't sleep to save my life. I am exhausted all the time. And I can't do anything without having to ask for some kind of help.
    I also didn't expect how hard having a 3 year old while being pregnant could be. I mean, he's a fairly independent little dude, but good lord, chasing after him is rough. I am so excited to see him hold his little brother for the first time though. To see the love there. I can't wait to fall even more in love with my husband when I see him interact with both of our boys. I am so in love with this baby already, I can't prepare myself for the emotions of seeing him for the first time.

I also never expected to be waddling at 30 weeks. That is something I am not happy with...
  • Options
    Like @zebraleg4lunch‌, I didn't expect to feel so normal. I always thought it would totally take over my body and mind, and I'd be one of those giddy glowing ladies, but I really haven't felt pregnant until the last couple of weeks. I know I'm lucky to have had an easy pregnancy, but I think feeling so normal has made it harder to bond and feel excited.

Also, opposite of OP, I didn't realize my belly would be so hard! I imagined it being more soft and squishy, but at 32 weeks I'm a firm little basketball.
  • Options
    @Whitfry‌ i feel the same way about labor. I have this blissfully clueless "bring it on bitch" attitude about it! I mean if you haven't seen any of my posts lately i am going through some things right now about what's going to happen with her after she is born and i guess that is consuming my brain at the moment so i don't really have any space up there for any more added fear but i have actually felt that way from the beginning. I have absolutely no fear of the pain at all. I'm actually more afraid of how uncomfortable my vagina will be afterwards then what it will be like during. I know that will prob change once im going through it since i have never been through it before and heard nothing but horror stories about the pain but i am fine with my blissful ignorance right now. The weird thing too is that i have absolutely ZERO pain tolerance. I'm a freaking baby when it comes to even just a paper cut so the fact that I'm like this is odd. I should be shaking in my boots right now thinking about it but I'm still holding on to my "bring it on MFer" attitude lol
    @Amoreenamarlin‌ that's so awesome i just can't wait really that is what im looking forward to the most, well other than me actually holding her! I can't even keep it together just thinking about it let alone when it actually happens lol i know in gonna break down and cry harder than my newborn. I don't know if you listen to country but when i listen to Kenny Chesneys song "The Good Stuff" there is a line that goes "the sight of her holding our baby girl" , yea just listening to that 3 second line i am no good for about the next 10 minutes lol its prob just my pregnancy hormones making me overly sensitive Haha :D
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"