August 2015 Moms

Horrible names

Re: Horrible names

• The la-dash-a one is a myth. It's on snopes.

Totally not a myth...I am a nurse and there was a kid named Ka-a " kadasha"
    Smh...bad name for sure. Sorry if anyone on here is the king of using a name like that. I just find it tacky
  • amidavey06amidavey06 member
    edited January 2015
    DD has a boy in her class named Godsfavour (everyone calls him Favour).

ETA: I forgot to add the little girl that was in DD's cheer camp named Crymsyn (very cute little girl unfortunate name).

2 angel babies to watch over us- bfp 3/16/13, c/p 3/27/13- bfp 6/27/13, c/p confirmed 7/4/13- We will always carry you in our hearts

Mommy to our princess warrior- 3/4/09

• Loading the player...
  • Had a kid named future in my kindergarten class and a girl named cricket bottoms at my daycare when I was a kid.
    August 2015 January Siggy Challenge - Mean Girls

BabyFruit Ticker

• I went to school with a Harry Katz.
    **Paraguard removed 10/30** **BFP 11/29** Pregnancy Ticker
  • I grew up with a girl named Tekeyla. I thought nothing of it until I got older.

My cousin has had 6 children and has spelled each of their names with "ae" in them somewhere: Taela, Caeden, Jaesen, Anjaelisse, Jaelen, and Nevaeh.

A coworker of mine has nieces named Royalty and Heavenly (same mom).

TTC since July 2012 
    BFP 5/22/13. Lap. to remove ectopic and dx with endo. 6/16/13

RE consult: June 2014

DX: FVL, endo, hypothyroidism, blocked left tube

Oct. 2014: First treatment cycle: Clomid+trigger+IUI=BFN

November 2014: Clomid+trigger+IUI again=BFP!

BFP 11/28/14 MC discovered 1/14/15

Blogging to stay sane

• Oh I forgot Fawkes, pronounced "fox".

• Unpopular opinion alert: The Drayson, Peyson, Greyson, Jayson, Treyson, Meyson crap irritates the shit out of me.
    If it's a UO, I share it. Friend named their kid Grayson. Ick.

BabyFetus Ticker
    image    image
    August '15 January Siggy Challenge: Favorite Mean Girls
    Nancy Downs - The Craft

• I worked with a guy named Master. It was surreal. He wasn't anyone's boss. He unloaded our trucks. But it is really strange to call a coworker Master all the time.

My favorite was my friend who told me she overheard a mom calling to her young son in a store, "Courvoisier" :::shudder:::

I love Mignon. And I like Wolfgang. I don't plan on using either but I want to high five parents that do. I can appreciate it if you have a cultural or personal link to a name that is not the norm. I think spelling and pronunciation are important. The uncommon name has to be accessible to the majority.

I don't like Ryker or Axel but I get that these are legit names and if that's your cultural heritage it's okay to go for it IMO. I have TBH I can't help myself from a side eye reflexively even though logically I understand.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Marijuana....pronounced Mariana. Or quinoa. Also...if there really is no la-a or orangello....there will be soon! People know that myth so it's only time before its a reality.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've had twins come through my school named Unique and Blessin.

Messiah
  • Once new a girl named Barrel?! Hippy parents

Beryl is a real girl name.
  • I had a former coworker name her son Kingston. I don't have a huge issue with the name, but her insistence on calling him King "because he is." Actually he's an infant and every girl he dates is likely to hate his mom. Although it was funny to watch her turn into her MIL and do the exact things she complained about.

So maybe not entirely on topic, but I can't think of the name Kingston without being annoyed.
  • Once new a girl named Barrel?! Hippy parents

Beryl is a real girl name.
    It's a total GP name for me, purely because of the pronunciation problem.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used to work with two different women named Princess at the same company, and they were even on the same team.

I went to college with a Harrison Potter. He never went by Harry but of course we called him that anyway!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Cinnamon.
    Bear.
    Cougar.

All real names I dealt with as a secretary. Cinnamon was also a secretary, not a stripper.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Cinnamon. Bear. Cougar. All real names I dealt with as a secretary. Cinnamon was also a secretary, not a stripper.
    I feel like you're trying to make them strippers by giving them those names.

And did Cougar live up to her name?

BabyFetus Ticker
    image    image
    Nancy Downs - The Craft

• Cinnamon.
    Bear.
    Cougar.

All real names I dealt with as a secretary. Cinnamon was also a secretary, not a stripper.

Cougar is a man! As is Bear. Haha, and I'm pretty sure the rumor mill told me that Cougar had killed someone? Idk. Small town chat, you know?
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Cinnamon. Bear. Cougar. All real names I dealt with as a secretary. Cinnamon was also a secretary, not a stripper.

Cougar is a man! As is Bear. Haha, and I'm pretty sure the rumor mill told me that Cougar had killed someone? Idk. Small town chat, you know?
    Oops...Wasn't sure. Just thought it'd be funny if it was a woman and she was in fact a cougar.

BabyFetus Ticker
    image    image
    Nancy Downs - The Craft

• My friend is a nurse and recently had a patient named Kaylee but with a Q. Spelled Qaylee I think...
  • I had a student named Asjianae.... It took me months to pronounce it correctly.
  • I've met a Armani, Dolce with a brother Gabanna, Prada, etc. Seriously the brand names are just goofy.
    Married March 19, 2011
    TTC off and on 04/14
    BFP 06/13/14 MC 06/15/14
    BFP 12/14/14
    1st Appt 01/13/2015
    M/C 1/19/15 D&C 1/20/15
    BFP 5/13/15
    1st Appt 06/10/2015 Peanut has HB 150
    A/S 09/02/15 It's a Girl!! Low placenta, but everything else great!

IAmPregnant Ticker

• The la-dash-a one is a myth. It's on snopes.

Nope, my friend is a teacher has a student O-ah , Odashah.

I can't stand when people spell my son's name Myles, its Miles. Why complicate it people?

imageimage
    imageimage
  • julie1445 said:
    This got me looking at an article for the unique names in Alberta and i found some pretty cringeworthy ones Soda Tater Pringle Seen Kia Swastika Doctor Oreo Atari Seriously some of them were just unreal
    Someone actually named their kid Swastika? For real?

BabyFetus Ticker
    image    image
    Nancy Downs - The Craft

• Yep, a girl in 1991
  • julie1445 said:
    Some of those names... holy cow. And then there's Kamakaleiimalamalamaiaikanaau

BabyFetus Ticker
    image    image
    Nancy Downs - The Craft

• My ex-boyfriends boss named their son Ice Octane???? What????
  • I went to high school with a girl who named her daughter Karsyn Sioux. :-??
    econmama said:
    There are many names that are NMS, but broadly, I follow the following naming rules: Correct spelling Correct sex Full name, not a NN Name that ages Passes the Chief Justice test
    This for me too. DH says if this LO is a girl he wants to name her Charli...he's so persistant that he won't even discuss girl names with me anymore. Ugh.
    jabs86 said:
    I think it's weird when people give the last name as the first name. I went to school with an Aaron Aaron. Or like Philip Phillips.

I went to high school with a guy named Evan Evans!
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    # 1
    BFP: 9/17/2013, EDD: 6/1/2014
    Welcome to the World, Brielle Lorraine: 5/23/2014 @ 2:01pm, 6lbs 6oz, 19.75in
    # 2
    BFP: 12/12/2014, EDD: 8/25/2015
  • One of my friends named her son Dason.
    And I have a friend named Chrysti. Pretty name, but I'm not a fan of the i and the y being switched.
    I also have another friend, a female, who was named Smokey Joe. I kid you not. Poor Smokey.
  • @mommabakes Isn't it typically spelled Gwyneth? That is how Gwyneth Paltrow spells it and the only way I've seen it spelled.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"