May 2015 Moms
Options

Over 35 FTM excessive ultrasounds or normal?

Firstly let me say I live in South FL and things seem a bit different here...the average C-section rate at hospitals is one of the highest in the nation if that is an indicator.

So a bit of history, found out I was preggo at 3.5 weeks next day was spotting a tiny bit (implantation bleeding I am sure but did not know that then) freaked out and went to the ER. Long story short I was referred to an OB who had me coming in for weekly ultrasounds. Don't know if he saw dollar signs or was just trying to make me feel better...I do not see him anymore.

Now here in SOFLO I guess most clinics make you go to a separate diagnostic clinic for any testing. Since 10 weeks I have had three ultrasounds. They have always said everything is normal and I am not high risk or anything. I am 21 weeks now and after the anatomy scan was told though all was normal, they want to do another in a month...?

So for you older Moms have you had this experience? Is this routine for us geriatrics, or am I again a cash cow? 

Re: Over 35 FTM excessive ultrasounds or normal?

• Options
    I will be 35 when I deliver but am high risk for several other reasons. With DD I had 26 ultra-sounds and the one I had prior to my emergency c section is the one that showed I had almost no amniotic fluid left. I was very thankful for the extra ultra-sounds and monitoring becuase it most likely saved my baby.
    BFP # 2 9/25/14
    Official Due Date 5/29/15 & HB 143 on 10/13; 11/25 Harmony Results perfect & it's a Girl!

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

Off BCP 5/2009
    TTC since July 2010
    DH's SA = Normal!
    Hysteroscopy 2/2011
    50mg Clomid / Progesterone 77.5 April 2011 = BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 53 May 2011= BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 44.3 June 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 15.7 July 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 14 August 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 32 September 2011=BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 14.9 October 2011=BFN
    First RE Appointment 11/2011
    Hysteroscopy 11/2011 & on Med break
    12/2011 Diagnosed with PCOS (Insulin Resistant)
    12/2011 Adding 1000 MG Metformin per day
    12/14/11 BFP
    Beta #1 664 Beta #2 3330 Beta #3 6160 Beta #4 19546
    Official Due Date 8/18/12 & HB 147 on 1/3; HB 171on  1/19
    Pre-term labor @ 29W bed-rest till Emergency C-Section

IT'S A GIRL

• Options
    I am similar to @irishtheatrechic‌ I am 32 with cerclage (short cervix) and twins and get the same scans as her!
    -----
    DS1:15 
    DS2: 8
    DS3: 2
    Due May 2015 with twin GIRLS!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    35 years old and can't ask why you are having that many ultra sounds?

I'm 40 and have had 7 so far and I plan on have 2 in January one an a/s and the other with a MFM because of my age. The first 7 were because of IVF. In previous pregnancies I had weekly ultra sounds until I lost the babies because I was spotting and to ease my mind.

I don't know your medical record but 3 ultra sounds from 10-21 weeks doesn't sound excessive to me, I will have 2 in that amount of time and I'm just a normal pregnant 40yr old with no issues. I'd sit down and ask your Dr why you are having the ultra sounds.

Also you aren't having spaghetti sauce it's pregnant not preggo.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    It's probably because you are considered high risk. Just ask your doc!
  • Options
    lgsdesignerlgsdesigner member
    edited December 2014
    I'm 35, and have had one routine u/s, an NT scan u/s (non-routine), and will have an a/s soon.
    That being said-- I'm considered high risk. I had preterm labor with my other two, so now I have to get about 5 extra u/s mixed in there on top of those three.

I think everyone's situation will very, but I do know if I was healthy and non-high risk I would only have three total.
  • Options
    sb5366sb5366 member
    edited December 2014
    35 years old and can't ask why you are having that many ultra sounds? I'm 40 and have had 7 so far and I plan on have 2 in January one an a/s and the other with a MFM because of my age. The first 7 were because of IVF. In previous pregnancies I had weekly ultra sounds until I lost the babies because I was spotting and to ease my mind. I don't know your medical record but 3 ultra sounds from 10-21 weeks doesn't sound excessive to me, I will have 2 in that amount of time and I'm just a normal pregnant 40yr old with no issues. I'd sit down and ask your Dr why you are having the ultra sounds. Also you aren't having spaghetti sauce it's pregnant not preggo.

Wow is it really necessary to get nasty? As I stated in my initial post, this is being done at a diagnostic center where I do not have a regular Dr. I am perfectly capable of asking questions and have. The purpose of my post was to get other's experiences so I can better judge the situation. And to each their own on use of phrases and words my dear. You come off as a very catty small person!
  • Options
    sb5366sb5366 member
    edited December 2014
    Thank you all for the feedback! I am between OBGYNs due to ins changes and it is hard to talk to the Dr at the diagnostic center. 
  • Options
    I'm 36 and went every week until 16 weeks and now I go every other week . Each visit I have an U/S done sometimes they just check my cervix and sometimes they check baby too .
  • Options
    sb5366 said:

Firstly let me say I live in South FL and things seem a bit different here...the average C-section rate at hospitals is one of the highest in the nation if that is an indicator.

So a bit of history, found out I was preggo at 3.5 weeks next day was spotting a tiny bit (implantation bleeding I am sure but did not know that then) freaked out and went to the ER. Long story short I was referred to an OB who had me coming in for weekly ultrasounds. Don't know if he saw dollar signs or was just trying to make me feel better...I do not see him anymore.

Now here in SOFLO I guess most clinics make you go to a separate diagnostic clinic for any testing. Since 10 weeks I have had three ultrasounds. They have always said everything is normal and I am not high risk or anything. I am 21 weeks now and after the anatomy scan was told though all was normal, they want to do another in a month...?

So for you older Moms have you had this experience? Is this routine for us geriatrics, or am I again a cash cow? 

QFP just in case
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options

Also you aren't having spaghetti sauce it's pregnant not preggo.

This made me LOL. My sister has called me spaghetti sauce ever since she found out I was pregnant (she was there when I took the test). It started as her way of calling me "prego" in front of unsuspecting family at first, and now it's just an inside joke with us ;) I do know I am pregnant though and don't mind taking the few extra keystrokes to say so haha
        Me: 19
     Boyfriend: 20
    Love: 07/-8/14
    BFP: 09/16/14
    EDD: 05/31/15
    It's a BOY!

BabyFetus Ticker
    May 2015 January Siggy Challenge: "You had one job"
  • Options
    Hmm. I am baby #2 AMA and most of my friends have also had children AMA and the standard here for no other risks and for those who did not use fertility treatment is 8 weeks and 20. If there are other issues they do more, but no, my OB does not run lots of ultrasounds to check on the baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"