Special Needs

Spio Suits

typesettypeset member
edited December 2014 in Special Needs
Legit? Long-term benefits? Our insurance company is pretty clear ... but looking for any experiences people have had with them. 

https://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/600_699/0696.html
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
11/10/10 The Kid

Re: Spio Suits

• The former uterine occupant. PT is recommending it to provide feedback when he gets wobbly. I'm Googling and I'm not convinced. 
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • What I need and I'm hoping the clinic will provide when we go for the CP assessment is the prioritized list of treatments and therapies: these are proven to be effective, the jury is still out on this stuff, and this is utter woo. I'm vulnerable, damn it. I need a cheat sheet. 
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Loading the player...
  • We were getting one but the process took so long we cancelled the order because he no longer needed it. We were using for hypotonia of the core muscles to assist with sitting. I didn't do any research but his therapists said they saw lots of success with them. We used a loner periodically for a couple months. It was pretty profound when he had it on - lost the c curve to his back. I was sold if it didn't take so long.
  • They are $250 each without insurance and we have 2. Our insurance paid all but $50. So we went ahead and bought them.

We noticed more focus and I sometimes have him sleep in it instead of wearing it during the day because the effects go into the next day and as a bonus he slept harder. We used to have him wear it about 9-10 hours a day when he was 3 and it still fits at age 4 so we do it every once in a while but it really does more than just the cheap alternatives. It is really worth trying

• Let me add that we were not going to have any out of pocket cost for it. Made the decision easy for me.
  • I will add to my comment that it was for mild hypotonia for my DS

• kar5162kar5162 member
    edited December 2014
    typeset said:
    What I need and I'm hoping the clinic will provide when we go for the CP assessment is the prioritized list of treatments and therapies: these are proven to be effective, the jury is still out on this stuff, and this is utter woo. I'm vulnerable, damn it. I need a cheat sheet. 

I haven't been on this board in a long time, but I think that is what every CP parent wants. And as best as I can tell, 5 years in, it doesn't exist. :(

We did use a SPIO suit for a few months when DS was younger (2.5) and found it somewhat helpful for his core hypotonia, but way too hot in the summer. He has Theratogs now that are more complicated, but I think do a better job of addressing specific alignment needs. We use them intermittently. In retrospect, I wish at 7 months we had done a ton of core work with him - back play reaching up, reaching for his feet on his back, sitting on an exercise ball, rolling, etc. I think it would have eliminated or at least significantly reduced his need for core support now. His low tone core is significant, but not severe. I think a lot depends on how significant the tone is. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"