Special Needs

IEP question

I am sorry to only post questions. I am just so new at this process that I never have advice.

I posted a couple months ago that based on DS's scripted speech, there is concern of autism. We are waiting for our appointment to have him evaluated by a developmental pedi. After going back and forth with the school district, I finally got them to accept DS under an IEP starting in January. My IEP meeting is today and I have not see the document yet. I bought a book a mom I met recommended and read all the sections about IEP's. My question is, this preschool is an integrated preschool. Any child living in the town can apply and there is a monthly tuition charge of $320. This is what I have been paying for DS's current preschool. However, with an IEP, would we still pay the tuition? I have a friend who's daughter is under an IEP and she does not pay for her town's preschool, but I just was not sure if this is typical. I just want to be as prepared as possible for today. I appreciate your help.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: IEP question

• Thank you for all that information! A friend of mine has been saying I should have received the IEP to review and will be in a disadvantage at the meeting. I am relieved to know this is not the case and is the typical process.
  • They went through the IEP with me and gave me a draft and I am going to pickup the original on Thursday and then they said I just have to sign and return it by 1/5. I am going to ask his speech therapist her thoughts tomorrow. I only have her to consult with until we have the autism screening appointment.

I really appreciate all your help. You have given me so much information.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just want to let you know that if you disagree with the IEP you do not have to sign it.  Ideally, you will, so the district sees that you are willing to be colaborative, but if you disagree with parts of the IEP, you can put your concerns in writing and ask them to be included in the document.  You can also call another meeting.  The 1/5 date is not a deadline; it just means that the IEP will go into effect on that date if you do not call another meeting or sign the document.  If you sign before that date, it can go into effect sooner.
  • I just want to let you know that if you disagree with the IEP you do not have to sign it.  Ideally, you will, so the district sees that you are willing to be colaborative, but if you disagree with parts of the IEP, you can put your concerns in writing and ask them to be included in the document.  You can also call another meeting.  The 1/5 date is not a deadline; it just means that the IEP will go into effect on that date if you do not call another meeting or sign the document.  If you sign before that date, it can go into effect sooner.

Thank you for the information! DS's private speech therapist said she agrees the services that they are providing so I feel much better after speaking with her. This whole process has been a roller coaster, but I am happy to have the IEP and now we wait for the appointment with the developmental pedi for his evaluation for autism.
  • I'm glad it's going well!

With my son, at 3 he got itinerant services through our school district. They came to our home. The preschool he attended was across district lines so they weren't allowed to see him there.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"