Working Moms

Holiday Gifts for Direct Reports

It's a little early, but do you buy gifts for your direct reports? If so, what do you give and what's your budget?

Re: Holiday Gifts for Direct Reports

• Are you buying personally?  Or is the company buying?
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes. I buy gifts and do a "party" for my whole team (12-14 ppl ). I keep gifts between. $50- $75 each. I used to always do gift cards but last year I bought them these cute watches and clutches (they happen to be all young ladies right now).

• I have gotten a small gift from my manager the past couple of years.  Because he pays out of pocket for them it is typically a $10 GC to our onsite cafeteria and a note of thanks.  Honestly, as an employee, I would rather he keep his money for himself and just a note of thanks and/or a small treat for the group one day would be all I would expect. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I have almost never received a gift and have never given one  (outside of weddings and babies) - except once as a "pick me up" for my boss who was really overwhelmed.  It was a total office decorative token.  I was due in about a week and she was in town and took me to dinner, so I gifted her.  I received from a former boss pottery - she taught a class and made tons of pieces and it was wonderful and personal.

My other boss allegedly sent me a handmade personalized gift (but would never divulge what it was) that I never received one year.  It was really weird as years later she would ask "are you sure you never got my present" but would not answer "what WAS it?" 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We do at my company. My boss sends a Harry and David basket to his direct reports. I give $50 gift cards. The more I think about it, I think I work in Mad Men, except without alcohol and smoking. And the men are all bad dressers. We are very old school.
  • In the past I have received a little package of lotions from bath and body works, some candles and some plant thing.  I work with mostly women.  Honestly, I didnt want any of what was given to me and would have just preferred a note or a group lunch or something like that.
    This is the first year I am managing people.  We got a credit for an event we did because of something that happened so I am taking them out to lunch there with that credit.  Gifts don't really happen with my company so this will be a nice extra thing to do.
    I always thought food was better.  Especially a nice long lunch at a nice restaurant with the group.  It was enjoyable, food was good, nice to get out of the office for a longer lunch and bonding with the team.
  • My boss gives $50-$75 amazon gift cards most years.  Extremely generous, considering he has 8-10 direct reports at any given time.

When I had all women reporting to me, I got coach wristlets (at the outlet) or Vineyard Vines stuff.  Now I have a mix, so last year everyone got $50 amazon gift cards (6 people).

This year, my entire team is going out to dinner, and managers are picking up the tab.  I talked folks down from the really expensive steakhouse to an Italian chain (not Olive Garden... better...) so it will likely be $50-$75 PP all in.  I have 7 direct reports that I'll cover.  3 of those 7 also have staff that they'll cover, and then another level that those managers will cover.  Everyone agreed to it, I did not propose it.  I won't give gifts beyond the dinner.
  • Thanks, I think taking them to a team lunch is a nice idea that everyone would be receptive to it.
  • Thanks, I think taking them to a team lunch is a nice idea that everyone would be receptive to it.

I think this is the most appropriate idea.
  • I have given a bottle of wine or gc to Starbucks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No.  I work in a very small company and I send them our family Christmas card.  That is all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• My only direct reports are graduate students and an administrative assistant. I get graduate students some donuts or another treat for their office kitchen and I give my admin assistant a $100 gift card.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my old boss gave us starbucks or DD giftcards.  not sure what they do in my new dept.

honestly, the entire gift-giving thing at work makes me feel completely ICK. 
  • My manager gives us a small $10ish gift. I'm a CSR and work directly with/for specific sales reps. Most of the sales reps will give $10-$30 gift to each CSR they work with. I like feeling appreciated and would be just as happy with a lunch out.

• DH is a small business owner and has 5 employees, we give them personalized gifts at 25-50 per person. It's a small enough shop that we regularly have them (plus kids/spouses) over for dinner at our place too, and many of them are our friends anyway. 

I supervise 5 people, but I don't get them anything - we're a small non-profit and our Board of Directors usually gives everyone a $20 gift card.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"