July 2014 Moms

UO Thursday

2»

Re: UO Thursday

• Does anyone else watch The League? The episode where the little girl names their Elf on the Shelf "Kegel" is hilarious.

Hahaha YES. I want to be a board member for Taco Corp ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't like the movie Elf. Or any Christmas movie.
  • I bought an Elf on the Shelf on super clearance last year and am debating whether or not to break it out this year. Part of me doesn't want to deal with it but DS1 is the type that would fall hook, line, and sinker for it if I told him the elf was watching his behavior and reporting back to Santa. I guess it'll depend on if he's being good or if he's being a little turd when December rolls around.
  • darkangel42darkangel42 member
    edited October 2014
  • darkangel42darkangel42 member
    edited October 2014
    I deserved all of those :p

Edit: typo
  • hgtvmom said:
    I've been here since the beginning of J14 (just changed SN today) but, admittedly, there is a lot I have missed. My line of thinking was that she didn't get the whole group on board to support her through something. Like when I was part of an online support group for teens dealing with cancer and a catfish came on, drew every one in pretending to have cancer, got financial support and presents from people then "died." She screwed people up and over severely. And she is likely why I have missed a lot here - there is stuff I avoid because I need to avoid that situation again. But the sleuthing (whoever does it) has me far more untrusting than this particular catfish.
    Why? This is what I'm not understanding. I understand why it would make you look more closely at what turns about about yourself when you Google and what you share on a public forum. But not trusting the people who outed Jen makes no rational sense to me.

Yea... I spent all day sleuthing that shiz and found her pics and i'm as trustworthy as they come. 

[ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Csltdk said:

Does anyone else watch The League? The episode where the little girl names their Elf on the Shelf "Kegel" is hilarious.

DH and I got to meet Kevin at a standup routine a while back. We told him we called the baby Chalupa. It was pretty cool. Im pretty sure I posted a picture. It was February or Marchish.
  • Csltdk said:

Does anyone else watch The League? The episode where the little girl names their Elf on the Shelf "Kegel" is hilarious.

DH and I got to meet Kevin at a standup routine a while back. We told him we called the baby Chalupa. It was pretty cool. Im pretty sure I posted a picture. It was February or Marchish.
    I remember! He looked high as shit
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• hgtvmom said:

She was just a story. I didn't read enough of her stuff to have anything seem fishy. It would probably have to be pretty blatant for anyone to see particularly fishy to me. I read mainly UO, FFFC and advice threads. None are really a place of investment in each other's lives. I really haven't pm'd people. I can probably tell you where 2 or 3 regular posters live - like state, not city. That's the level I stay at because of my experience.

The catfish that I dealt with previously was an investment. All of us knew her, her family, her history, emailed, called, visited. I met this person with her bald "chemo" head. She was more than just a screen name and there was no sleuthing that was needed. She "died" and one person called her phone number to express condolences and get funeral info. But, she answered the phone. It took zero research.

The thought of people being able to take my screen name or a picture and come up with that much information about me is creepy! The thought would never even cross my mind to do that research on someone here.

It's not that I would rather have a catfish or not know about one. It's that knowing how much can be found out about me is creepier than this one.

So because you chose not to be invested in this community and make friends, the rest of us are crazy for thinking something was off and investigating?

It's fine that you kept the board at an arm's distance, but to act like those of us who didn't are not justified in the actions that were taken is a little messed up.

I didn't say anyone was crazy for investigating her. I said it creeps me out that people can find out that much information.

You really don't find it creepy that some person can pull a picture off the internet and track it back to a girl in another country, totally unrelated to where it was posted??

That ability, that I had never contemplated, is what made me change a SN and look into things I have posted MORE than this catfish.

• hgtvmom said:
    hgtvmom said:
    She was just a story. I didn't read enough of her stuff to have anything seem fishy. It would probably have to be pretty blatant for anyone to see particularly fishy to me. I read mainly UO, FFFC and advice threads. None are really a place of investment in each other's lives. I really haven't pm'd people. I can probably tell you where 2 or 3 regular posters live - like state, not city. That's the level I stay at because of my experience. The catfish that I dealt with previously was an investment. All of us knew her, her family, her history, emailed, called, visited. I met this person with her bald "chemo" head. She was more than just a screen name and there was no sleuthing that was needed. She "died" and one person called her phone number to express condolences and get funeral info. But, she answered the phone. It took zero research. The thought of people being able to take my screen name or a picture and come up with that much information about me is creepy! The thought would never even cross my mind to do that research on someone here. It's not that I would rather have a catfish or not know about one. It's that knowing how much can be found out about me is creepier than this one.
    So because you chose not to be invested in this community and make friends, the rest of us are crazy for thinking something was off and investigating?

It's fine that you kept the board at an arm's distance, but to act like those of us who didn't are not justified in the actions that were taken is a little messed up.
    I didn't say anyone was crazy for investigating her. I said it creeps me out that people can find out that much information. You really don't find it creepy that some person can pull a picture off the internet and track it back to a girl in another country, totally unrelated to where it was posted?? That ability, that I had never contemplated, is what made me change a SN and look into things I have posted MORE than this catfish.

Okay. But this "Jen" could have used your pictures and stuff. I mean she didn't, but could have. So that's why it's creeeeeepy. Even if you don't participate much. It's the creep factor that she posted someone else's baby!!!! Think about that one.. People noticed because her stories were out-there. It's fine that you didn't. I didn't think much of it, because honestly I didn't care and imagine people tell some sort of tale here. But when a fake person takes the lead on trying to support others is why it's creepy. And so that catfish had to pull those stolen pictures just as easily as those that "sleuth". You can change your name, but Dr. Google still finds old posts and then links all the info.

• hgtvmom said:
    hgtvmom said:
    She was just a story. I didn't read enough of her stuff to have anything seem fishy. It would probably have to be pretty blatant for anyone to see particularly fishy to me. I read mainly UO, FFFC and advice threads. None are really a place of investment in each other's lives. I really haven't pm'd people. I can probably tell you where 2 or 3 regular posters live - like state, not city. That's the level I stay at because of my experience. The catfish that I dealt with previously was an investment. All of us knew her, her family, her history, emailed, called, visited. I met this person with her bald "chemo" head. She was more than just a screen name and there was no sleuthing that was needed. She "died" and one person called her phone number to express condolences and get funeral info. But, she answered the phone. It took zero research. The thought of people being able to take my screen name or a picture and come up with that much information about me is creepy! The thought would never even cross my mind to do that research on someone here. It's not that I would rather have a catfish or not know about one. It's that knowing how much can be found out about me is creepier than this one.
    *snip*
    I didn't say anyone was crazy for investigating her. I said it creeps me out that people can find out that much information. You really don't find it creepy that some person can pull a picture off the internet and track it back to a girl in another country, totally unrelated to where it was posted?? That ability, that I had never contemplated, is what made me change a SN and look into things I have posted MORE than this catfish.
    Read the bolded. You didn't flat out say anyone was crazy, but you heavily insinuated.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore

• hgtvmom said:

hgtvmom said:

She was just a story. I didn't read enough of her stuff to have anything seem fishy. It would probably have to be pretty blatant for anyone to see particularly fishy to me. I read mainly UO, FFFC and advice threads. None are really a place of investment in each other's lives. I really haven't pm'd people. I can probably tell you where 2 or 3 regular posters live - like state, not city. That's the level I stay at because of my experience.

The catfish that I dealt with previously was an investment. All of us knew her, her family, her history, emailed, called, visited. I met this person with her bald "chemo" head. She was more than just a screen name and there was no sleuthing that was needed. She "died" and one person called her phone number to express condolences and get funeral info. But, she answered the phone. It took zero research.

The thought of people being able to take my screen name or a picture and come up with that much information about me is creepy! The thought would never even cross my mind to do that research on someone here.

It's not that I would rather have a catfish or not know about one. It's that knowing how much can be found out about me is creepier than this one.

*snip*

I didn't say anyone was crazy for investigating her.
    I said it creeps me out that people can find out that much information.

You really don't find it creepy that some person can pull a picture off the internet and track it back to a girl in another country, totally unrelated to where it was posted??

That ability, that I had never contemplated, is what made me change a SN and look into things I have posted MORE than this catfish.

Read the bolded. You didn't flat out say anyone was crazy, but you heavily insinuated.

Nope. Not at all. Me not thinking of something doesn't imply that I think others are crazy for thinking of it. There are tons things that it just doesn't cross my mind to do.

I had no clue you could drop a picture into a search box to find where it originated. I would never have thought to do that or that you could do that.

Even if I had noticed inconsistencies, I would not have thought to research her. LOTS of people here have said they saw them, but didn't think much of it. It didn't cross their minds either.

I'm not saying anyone (but the catfish) is crazy. Just that the ability to find that much stuff out creeps me out.
  • hgtvmom said:
    Nope. Not at all. Me not thinking of something doesn't imply that I think others are crazy for thinking of it. There are tons things that it just doesn't cross my mind to do. I had no clue you could drop a picture into a search box to find where it originated. I would never have thought to do that or that you could do that. Even if I had noticed inconsistencies, I would not have thought to research her. LOTS of people here have said they saw them, but didn't think much of it. It didn't cross their minds either. I'm not saying anyone (but the catfish) is crazy. Just that the ability to find that much stuff out creeps me out.
    Okay, I get where you are coming from now.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • edited October 2014
    My OU: I don't think it's creepy that information can be "found" online... Mostly because I don't see the internet as a "private" place to begin with. To me, it's no different then stepping out my front door. I understand that what I put online is in the public domain.

I DO think creepy people exist on the internet, but creeps exist IRL too.

Edit to rephrase: it might be creepy, but it's not all that surprising.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @beff12‌ you're not alone. Obviously I agreed with some of these UO. Along the lines of the soup.. I hate potato soup. How can people eat that crap? I 'm not a milk fan or a cheese fan. I find potato soup gag worthy. Warm milk with potatoes? Yuck.

Edit: words man

Look up the recipe for cheeseburger soup. I think it's a great version of potato based soups
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I just noticed the badges. I'm not jealous. Just curious if they can confirm that Jay-Z and Beyonce are, indeed, in the Illuminati after all.
  • beff12 said:
    I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't like The Walking Dead.

JK... Mister doesn't like it either bc it is too repetitive
    Haha @SuperTinkerham, my apologies ;)

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• hgtvmom said:

I am probably more creeped out by the investigative skills of the Facebook Elite crowd than I am by the basically harmless catfish. (Harmless in that she didn't con people for money. Didn't have the big attention ploy, such as a sick baby, that caused people to have a huge emotional investment, etc. in reality she was kind of a pathetic catfish. At least outside the stealing of pictures).

To be fair, it wasn't that hard. She pretty much spilled it all once confronted, including her real name. She's a real sad sack who hates her life and would rather pretend to be someone else. All it took was a hunch by a pretty smart lady and some pressing texts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Buying used carseats doesn't bother me and seems fiscally responsible. I think the odds are in your favor that they haven't been in an accident. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.

• My UO, I don't like Pepsi or coke or any favors of pop that have Pepsi or coke in them like cherry coke, diet Pepsi, etc. I don't like the flavor and never have; my family thinks I'm odd but I just can't handle it no matter how thirsty I am.
    The word you're looking for is cola flavored soda. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • ^ agreed. I changed my name but kept the same picture of my pup in hopes people wouldn't thing I was a newbie. Andplusalso the genetic pictures are kind of fugly.
  • It bothers me when children cry about the crust on bread
    image.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It bothers me when children cry about the crust on bread

Are you in my house? Peels on apples are also a no-no here. Last week I cut the peels off half of my apple slices before I remembered they were for me and not the preschooler and I actually like the peels.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"