Food Allergy

Does your child miss school due to their allergy?

Hi! DD has Celiac's disease. At 5 she already had some intestinal damage, she is pretty severe. I don't know how but yesterday she must have been glutened. Severe bathroom issues today. I am keeping her home today. After running to the bathroom 4 times in 10 minutes she didn't make it the last time and pooped a bit in her underwear. She was devastated. I worry about that happening at school. We are trying to really make sure she doesn't get any gluten but it happens maybe once a month. Yesterday I bought some plain chocolate from a chocolate shop, ingredients looked fine but it wasn't labelled gluten free. I'm sure that is what did it. But I am worried about it affecting school attendance. Should I worry?

Re: Does your child miss school due to their allergy?

• Most school districts have a chronic medical condition form. That way it's documented (the dr completes it in our district) that there is a medical issue and the parent just writes a note explaining the absence was due to the health issue so the absence is excused. Working in a school setting, I'd much rather a parent keep their kid home than have to deal with an accident, much less see what the embarrassment does to a kid.
    imageimage
  • There is a horrible stomach bug going around right now too though

You have to remember it isn't always gluten that causes them issues but just virus and sickness in general also.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"