October 2014 Moms
Options

Rant: Play by Play on Facebook about your L&D

Sorry I just have to rant...

I have 3 friends who have all recently given birth. And every single one of them have given a play by play on their labor and delivery.

Yes I am excited you are in labor! Yes I am excited you are about to meet your LO!
But I really don't care how dialated you are every time the dr comes in to check you, or that your mucus plug fell out, or that you won't be posting for a while because it's time to push! (Seriously...)

Do you not want to enjoy the birth of your child?!
And how did you find the time to update your FB status??

Ok, I feel much better now...

Re: Rant: Play by Play on Facebook about your L&D

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jesslinnnjesslinnn member
    edited September 2014
    I had a friend do the same thing. She just had the baby this morning after a 2 day long induction, and she gave all the details. While I wouldn't post updates about my labor on FB, I don't really care if others do. I won't lie, I was creeping her page though. 
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Options
    I recently encountered this too.  The whole time I was thinking "Aren't you busy now?  Why is your phone that close to you???"  This particular person has overshared about her entire pregnancy and life for that matter - so I don't know why I am surprised.  But it was ANNOYING.  
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • Options

Gross gross gross!

Boundaries, people!

Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I have a feeling that my MIL will do this while I'm in labor. ugh. Luckily she's bad about tagging people and I won't be letting her into the room so it shouldn't be THAT bad. 

• Options
    I was totally zoned in during the birth of my first child. I can't imagine having a conversation, much less updating Facebook. I think in certain circumstances, that distraction could be helpful though. And some people just enjoy attention, and that's not a horrible thing. I enjoyed birth the way I wanted, they can enjoy it how they want.
  • Options
    How are these people thinking about updating FB during labor??  That was the last thing on my mind with DS1
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image              image
  • Options

Couldn't agree more. I felt the same with updates via text to the fam as well. I told my DH he was allowed to text them 4 times: Headed to hospital, got epidural, ready to push, and he's here. The world did not need to know about the state of my cervix! Facebook had nothing but "he's here!"

• Options
    Ummmm....no.  FB world won't be notified about anything until several hours after Schroeder has been notified.  

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Options
    I can see how you would have the time if you have a super long labor. And it can be nice to have distractions, but that is odd.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Options
    That's way too much info, the play by play including the mucous plug info... I definitely know someone that was giving updates on their FB the entire time they were in labor. It was a co-worker and they also were texting another co-worker the entire time, so the WHOLE office knew what was happening. Way to much info for everyone in our office!

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    It's so odd to me.. .. I didn't even update my family (who lives out of state). They kept texting or emailing me and I either ignored it or asked Hubs to reply.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Play by play with all the gross details is probably unnecessary, but I do have quite a few out of state family members (well most if them actually) who are on FB all the time and I know they will be watching for updates. I will probably update when headed to or checking into the hospital, maybe one during depending on the speed of the whole process (if things are moving slowly and I need a distraction), and one after his arrival. Hopefully they won't be too disappointed that there will be no details about how dilated I am or when I've lost my mucus plug! :-)
  • Options
    That's gross. I would love to know what the comments were

BFP - 2/5/14
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

The only messages I'll be sending are "mom/dad/labor buddy, it's go time" and "he's here! (with stats)"  No one needs to know the rest of that mess.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Super weird. WAY too much information for me.

• Options
    DH can update family, but everyone else gets to find out when he gets here!  I am judgey about labor posts on facebook though. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Reminds me of this
    This actually makes me a bit sad. Hopefully she was just getting ready to take a picture of the baby!

• Options
    It's crazy how different our world is now that social media is such a huge part of our everyday lives. No more just living in the moment. I really don't update much of anything on fb, much less baby/labor stats.
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Options
    @staryb I hope that too. It definitely makes me a little sad. :-/
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Options
    Not going to lie, I was on FB during labor with DS.  12 hours passed between getting the epidural and pushing.  There wasn't much to do other than watch tv.  I did not give a play by play though.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My h has a friend's wife who would post every detail about their child's medical issues. It really bothered me when she would post that they were on the way to the er or post pics while in the er. I kept thinking "shouldn't you be more concerned about your child than updating fb?" She also left the baby in the nicu when they weren't sure if the baby would survive so that she could go have a garage sale.
  • Options
    staryb said:

I have a feeling that my MIL will do this while I'm in labor. ugh. Luckily she's bad about tagging people and I won't be letting her into the room so it shouldn't be THAT bad. 

I wouldn't be sharing anything with her!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 - 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12
    BFP #2 - 4/5/2012 - Son Born 12/12/12
    BFP #3 - 2/2/2014 - EDD 10/16/2014
  • Options
    I read this thread this morning and asked DH how he felt about not posting anything about labor, and asking our relatives not to post anything until we announce the birth. He gave me this weird look and said something about me having privacy issues. I started full on ugly crying.

Isn't it normal to want to be the first person to publicly announce the birth of your first child?
  • Options
  • Options
    My MIL did this to me! Every update DH sent to her and my mom went straight on to Facebook. My mom told me and I freaked a little. DH had her take them down immediately. The whole world doesn't need to know the status of my vag!
        Super Hero 8/12/11     Baby Girl EDD 10/16/14

• Options
    Talk about an attention seeker. How disconnected from such an amazing moment can you get?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Social media is so frustrating. I don't even want DH to give tons of updates to family. His parents will want the play by play. We agreed we will tell parents when we go to the hospital, if anything drastic changes (ex I need a c section) and when the baby arrives / we are ready for visitors, which will be 2-3 hours after birth (pending what time it is). Our parents weren't crazy about that at first, but I didn't want DHs phone blowing up with requests for updates when he is there to be my support person. It would get me sooooo angry!!!
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My friends list is full of pregnant friends. There are a few girls who have pregnancy updates, every.single.day. I will be no good if we get labor updates. Luckily, they are all due after me so I'm sure I will be busy navigating the new world of being a Mom.

• Options

Reminds me of this

Everytime I see this photo, I swear I know her. She looks like someone I used to work with until I fired her.

ETA: words are a struggle

Awwww.....this made me irrationally sad.....

I will compensate with ice cream cake.

• Options
    Omgsh! I can totally understand! I had several people who did this on Facebook and I cannot understand how they can be on Facebook while having a baby! I for one don't want my Facebook friends knowing anything except that my baby has arrived lol and I'm sure Facebook or my phone for that matter will b the first thing on my mind lol
  • Options

Reminds me of this

I can't be the only one who sees this photo and clearly sees a proud mama taking a photo of their baby...right?

I hate FB over sharers, but I can also see the need for a distraction. My family all lives out of state, so I guess I can also understand wanting to keep everyone in the loop without sending a thousand repetitive texts. *shrug* Guess I just can't find it in me to get worked up about (non-over sharing) updates.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    It drives me crazy when people do that.  FB doesn't even get a pregnancy announcement from me.
  • Options
    a little off topic, but sorta related. My in laws had their financial adviser over to work on some things. SIL is there cleaning up after dinner and is currently undergoing IUI treatments (she had just gone in for insemination that morning). After him asking me about DD and when LO is due he turns to SIL and ask if she has child. She says " I just got inseminated! The hubby's jizz was squirted in there this morning, so if all works out, I'll get a positive results in two weeks!" 
    Poor guy turned bright red and wished her luck. I couldn't believe the TMI. I had to leave. 
  • Options
    Yeah, what? I didn't even look at my phone for 2 days. Sorry LB, I should have had you update for me. I suck as a LB. Officially.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    Social media oversharers KILL me. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage

Winston is ready to have a little sister!

• Options
    TMI.  That's just ridiculous.  I don't think anybody cares enough to want to know all of that.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"