Infertility

Follistim & Menopur - success, failure, etc.

Got my tentative IVF calendar today and it looks like I'll be using Follistim and Menopur. Trying to find anyone else out there that have used or currently using those two meds at the same time and just want to get some thoughts, opinions, etc.
Thanks!

Re: Follistim & Menopur - success, failure, etc.

• ***BFP mentioned***

Congrats on your cycle!! I used gonal-f (almost identical to follistim) and Menopur with IVF and had success the first cycle. I did both injects at night in varying doses and just gonal-f in the morning. I didn't find the side effects particularly bad, certainly not as bad as I envisioned and developed lots of follies with them (although the high number was due in part to my PCOS). I did get some bumps, swelling at the inject site but it was always gone by the next med time. It's a common protocol and generally a successful one for most women, although some do not respond. If you don't respond, they would try a different protocol the following cycle. :)

Be prepared for your dosing to change every time you have bw or fairly often and inject the Menopur second Bc it burns. :) GL!
  • I just started my injections last night. I am using Follistim and Menopur as well.
    First 2 shots under my belt, next 2 tonight.
    My RE told me same time every night.

Mixing the Menopur for the first time was stressful for me. I have 2 powders to 1CC of liquid solution. I was nervous to mess it up.

The injection was interesting too. I have a fear of needles, so seeing them was making me panic. My husband got ready to do the injection, he put three needle in and began injecting- it burns! (Heads up). I was complaining a little (being a baby lol bLC looking back it wasn't that bad at all!) and he got nervous because he doesn't like seeing me in pain. (He still hasn't fully grasped that this is what we need to do to create a baby-- still bothers him)
    Well, I open my eyes just in time to watch the needle slip from his fingers and he dropped it. It landed in my leg!
    NEWBIES! Lol

My injection site was fine- no bump and didn't hurt.
    But my leg... Holy moly LOL huge bump, black and blue and hurt. I rubbed the bump out and now it's just a black and blue.

This morning I had a tiny bruise at the injection site.

Overall, it's really not bad at all. It was just the first time that scared us both. We were. But chaotic during it all. But now that it's done- we can handle it!

When do you inject @LoveBulldogs99 ?
    Thinking about it was worse than doing it!
    Anticipation is always horrible!
    You'll be great!

Me 30 || DH 36
    Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
    -3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    -IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
    ***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
    -FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
    -IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    -FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
    -IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
    -Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
    Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

• Loading the player...
  • I'm due to start Lupron mid November for 10 days then the follistim and menopur. I'm really hoping that nothing else will delay this process. Ive had to go through several humps (uterus and thyroid issues) and wait for the stars to align before we can get to this point. Expect the unexpected I guess. The only fear I have with this process is that I won't respond as well as I should with those meds. I know that I will be monitored closely and dosages can change if needed but I've read enough post in this forum that made me a bit nervous. I once tried Bravelle for IUI but I actually responded better with Clomid than Bravelle! I was so upset because I thought the shots would stimulate my ovaries more than the clomid but I only ended up with ONE follicle. So hopefully with frequent labs, ultrasounds, and lots prayers, the combination of medications I'm on now and will be later will be my ticket to becoming a parent. Crossing my fingers!!!
  • I think this is a very common combination of meds. I did it successfully and am now 7 months pg
  • @Wicked4589 that's awesome. Hope that I will respond well with the meds and have a successful cycle.
  • @LoveBulldogs99 I have the same fear as you to responding poorly to meds. I didn't respond well to Clomid during my IUI cycles. For IVF, my doctor has me on Follistim only. Good luck!
  • @LoveBulldogs99 I have been on Gonal F (basically same as Follistim) and Menopur for 2 cycles of IVF now. The first cycle, I grew a ton of follicles (66 total) but they did not mature, so it was cancelled at day 9. I was on a low does of both meds (100 Gonal-F and 75 Menopur) because of my PCOS and RE's fear of overstim. I was totally bummed when my first cycle was cancelled but DH gently reminded me that this is science and the more they learn about me and my body the better chances they have of coming up with the perfect "recipe". 

Second round (I'm currently at day 6) my dosage was upped to 150 of each and I'm responding normally this time. I've had very few side effects from either so far. A bit of a headache and some fatigue (thought the fatigue is more likely related to the increased Estrogen). Menopur burns when injected, so I do it second.

Fx for you!

*TW* Pregnancy/Loss Mentioned
    Me: 37 /PCOS DH: 37/no issues TTC: 7/13
    Started with RE 12/14; 3 failed rounds of clomid, started letrozole
    IUI #1 & #2- BFN
    IVF #1 - 9/15 Cancelled Day 9
    IVF #2- started stims 10/24  ER- 11/15 6 eggs- 5 fertilized/ 1 frozen
    FET #1 -1 embryo-12/9/15- BFN
    IVF #3- started stims 1/22/16  ER- 2/8 33 eggs(!)- 21 mature, all 21 fertilized - 6 snowflakes!
    FET #2- 2 embryos- April 4th-BFN
    ERA-June 8- results show need 12 addt'l hours of PIO
    FET #3-  2 embryos transferred August 14,2016  BFP! on 8/24! Beta #1-22  Beta #2-83 Beta #3-368 
    Confirmed singleton-Heartbeat on 9/19-160bpm! EDD: May 1, 2017, It's a girl!!
    Pre-term labor/loss-stillborn at 18w. 
    FET #4- 1 embryo-Aug 12th-BFP on 8/23 Beta #1-112 Beta #2-298 Beta #3-1010
    Confirmed Identicals!- Heartbeats seen on 9/8  Miscarriage on 9/18
    FET #5- 1 embryo- 1/12/18-BFN
    Lots of testing and finally determined I have elevated natural killer cells. Will begin prednisone and IVL treatment before next round.
    IVF#4- April 2018 8 eggs, 7 fertilized/3 frozen
    FET #6- 1 embryo- 6/11/18- BFP on 6/21 Beta #1-446, Beta #2-1841 
    Confirmed singleton- 6/29/18 HB-157 EDD: February 22, 2019. It's a Boy!

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • I went ahead and bought a big monthly calendar so I can keep up with all my medications. Besides the usual Follistim, Menopur and Lupron, which i won't start til next month, I'm already taking a thyroid medication, Metformin (3x day), prenatal vitamins and Vitamin D. And of course there are other things to take later on like baby aspirin, progesterone, etc. I'm not gonna lie but sometimes I feel a lil bitter that I'm the one who has to take all of these things and all my husband takes is a vitamin. He does feel bad and wish I didn't have to go through this process but we don't have a choice. It is what it is. Just gotta move forward and follow the protocol.
    Thank you for everyone's input! Good luck to all of us!
  • I'm about to take menopur only. Letrozole just stopped working for me. I will do an iui at the end though not ivf. I was wondering about this drug too. I'm pcos and 39. Just waiting for my period to start. My RE said it is a good one for my type. Good luck to you!