April 2015 Moms
Options

UO

Re: UO

• Options
    abc829abc829 member
    edited September 2014
    Wow didn't mean to stir up so many emotions! I live now in a town where people use the devices as babysitters for their kids. All of the kids are entitled and bratty. It infuriates me because these parents could have conversations with their children instead of chatting with their friends on facebook while out. I notice the kids are acting out bc mom or dad or both are busy on their phones so they whip out the device and hand it to their kids. It's about 99% of families here. I do not know any of you guys personally so I was not judging any of your parenting skills. So I apologize if you took my uo as a personal attack. I will stick to my guns and not allow my toddler to use iPads or my phone as a play device. That is my choice as a parent just as allowing them for children is yours. I like to have healthy debate but I do not like that other people were getting their feelings hurt/offended that was not my intention at all.

Edited for crappy phone spelling
    imageimage
    imageimage

• Options
    I don't like bananas. I especially don't like banana flavoured anything!
    This made me LOL just because it's so random and innocuous in the middle of the heated bed sharing discussion.

It made me laugh too haha. There is always one person who posts something completely unrelated like that in the middle of an intense discussion. Surprisingly, I think the i-pad discussion actually got more heated there than the bed-sharing one... You'd think it would be the other way around.

BTW I'm not a huge fan of bananas either...but I do like the runts

Me-24~~ DH-25~~Married 6/15/2013~~Pregnant with our first due April 2, 2015~ Septate/ Bicornuate/Arcuate /some kind of not-normal uterus- won't know for sure which one till after babe is born~~Hoping for a full term baby!

BabyFetus TickerWorkout Row Flip Fail.gif

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ElizabethSwann You might get luckier with the second one being easier if your first is difficult, but I've found that more often than not the first one tends to be really easy so you get all cocky and are like 'Hey, this parenting thing is so easy, other people must just suck at it!'. Then the second one comes along and completely rocks your world because they are NOTHING like your first, and suddenly you learn you aren't such an amazing parent after all, you just got lucky the first time. It's nature's way of teaching humility ;) 
    I get that. I definitely do not think that parenting is easy. I feel like i'm constantly trying to contain a little caveman.
    imageimage
  • Options
    ElizabethSwann You might get luckier with the second one being easier if your first is difficult, but I've found that more often than not the first one tends to be really easy so you get all cocky and are like 'Hey, this parenting thing is so easy, other people must just suck at it!'. Then the second one comes along and completely rocks your world because they are NOTHING like your first, and suddenly you learn you aren't such an amazing parent after all, you just got lucky the first time. It's nature's way of teaching humility ;) 
    I hope my second is nothing like my first because she rocked my world.  I would swear I gave birth to the anti-christ some days

IAmPregnant Ticker  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

October Siggy Challenge- Halloween Fail

• Options
    edited September 2014
    My son's speech therapist uses ipad activies in his session. Kids can learn a lot from these devices, and i think saying it's a "cop-out" is really annoying.
    imageimage
  • Options
    mrayche said:
    Well this is an UO thread..
    Yeah but UOs that insult half the board don't tend to be popular around the Bump.
    So they're.... Unpopular?!? 8-> Yeah arguing over shit like this is always how UO turns out. Makes it entertaining.
    The weird ones and subsequent mock indignation is what I think most of us come here for, no? Also when our UO turns out to be a PO and we're all like I've found my people! Insults are just shitty.
    Ok first of all I didn't mean what I said as an insult. I've been a pretty great member of TB the entire time I've been here so obviously I'm not the kind of person who goes around insulting people for fun as I know those people exist. I think most of you are taking my word choice of creepy a little bit too deep. Your definition of creepy is obviously different than mine. So just relax and stop taking this so personal as it was MY general opinion of bed sharing and not me trying to insult people.
    This phrase sets off my rage radar.  It's so invalidating.  Now I've got to add my 2 cents.

I don't think the problem is how different people define the word "creepy."  I think these ladies are trying to say that judging others (overtly or covertly) might be defensible if there's a logical argument to be made (e.g., safety, family lifestyle) but is less defensible when the argument is solely based on an illogical, emotional response.  I don't think anyone believes you meant to be insulting, or that you are somehow a bad person, so the argument about being a good member here is irrelevant.  In this one instance, people disagree with your rationale.  NBD.  Part of putting your UO out there is pulling up your big girl pants when others don't like it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van Dam is way better than Steven Segal! I mean have you seen his fight montages!?

Also, I can't stand when parents don't leave restaurants and movies when their kids start crying. It's totally rude to everyone else and I know it's a pain but really, take it outside!
  • Options
    megs12914 said:
    My UO is with the phrase "natural birth".  I'm sorry, but I consider mine natural even though I had an epidural.  I mean, I did push that kid out the correct exit hole and enjoyed 24 hours of labor before that.  It wasn't unusual or exceptional.  Isn't that natural?  I would prefer unmedicated birth to be used more as saying mine is unnatural sounds so judgey.  
    My MIL said something really offensive to me along these lines. I had a c/s with my son (who was breech) and want a VBAC with this one. She said, "When you actually have to give birth, you will know how painful and hard it is." I was so upset and went silent. Who says that? I'm pretty sure I did give birth. He didn't beam out of me.
    omg that is pretty freaking insulting! I don't know what I would've said to that, probably gone silent from shock as well.  I have not had a child yet, C-section or otherwise, but I know that when my sister had her C-section she suffered a lot during her recovery, couldn't get her energy back for a month and developed a uterine infection. C-sections can be very painful in their recovery and hard on your body, even if you don't physically feel the actual birth. And you know what, even if you had a problem free recovery, that's a GOOD thing, you still gave birth and that's your baby!! It's not a competition of who suffered more. That's crazy.

Me-24~~ DH-25~~Married 6/15/2013~~Pregnant with our first due April 2, 2015~ Septate/ Bicornuate/Arcuate /some kind of not-normal uterus- won't know for sure which one till after babe is born~~Hoping for a full term baby!

• Options
    megs12914 said:
    My UO is with the phrase "natural birth".  I'm sorry, but I consider mine natural even though I had an epidural.  I mean, I did push that kid out the correct exit hole and enjoyed 24 hours of labor before that.  It wasn't unusual or exceptional.  Isn't that natural?  I would prefer unmedicated birth to be used more as saying mine is unnatural sounds so judgey.  
    My MIL said something really offensive to me along these lines. I had a c/s with my son (who was breech) and want a VBAC with this one. She said, "When you actually have to give birth, you will know how painful and hard it is." I was so upset and went silent. Who says that? I'm pretty sure I did give birth. He didn't beam out of me.
    Not cool, MIL.
    imageimage
  • Options

Ugh... I hate that. Like there is no pain involved in a C/S?!?

And for all of you out there that say you will never bed share... I said the same thing. That did not last once I figured out how much easier it was to breastfeed my LO in the middle of the night. He went to sleep in his pack and play for his initial round but then once he woke up in the middle of the night I would let him sleep cradled between my arm and my chest for the remaining part. I thought it would be really scary but it just seemed natural and it worked for us. There is a lot of truth in the statement someone made earlier that you just do what have to do to survive. He now sleeps in his own crib but for those first few 9 months or so... it really helped.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Aside from hating the question "do you want a boy or a girl", I hate when people ask me if I will find out what I am having and any names we have picked out.  My mom thinks she is entitled to this information and gets mad DAILY when I tell her we aren't sure if we will tell people right away.  The reason I don't want to share said info with her because after I found out we were having a girl she would be like "oh I hope she is just as awful as you were" EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Also she made it her mission to get us to pick a different name then Adelynn...I'm just not feeling it this time...

• Options

megs12914 said:

Not cool, MIL.

This is about as cool as someone telling me my vagine is messed up because I didn't have a c-section. It's impossible to make everyone happy.

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I already have a little pooch at almost 10 weeks, and I HATE when people tell me it means I'll have a big baby. That's not even baby you're looking at yet, people. That's just baby making room down there and pushing my guts up. You're welcome.
  • Options

I'm now going to throw in my 2 cents re: bed-sharing. Obviously everyone should do what works for them. I plan to BF for at least 6 months, but DH and I have elected not to bed share/ co-sleep. Our plan is to have a bassinet in our room for the first few months or so. I definitely have safety concerns re: bed sharing, but I think there's a lot you can do to minimize those risks. Our main concern with bed-sharing is the boundary/independence issues it can create later. I know more than a few people who have struggled to get their 5-, 6-, or even 9- and 10-year-olds to sleep in their own beds/rooms, and they all started out co-sleeping. It can become a real social impediment later, based on what I've witnessed. I know there are ways to wean kids from co-sleeping, but the fact is that DH and I would just rather avoid the potential struggle if at all possible. That being said, who knows what will end up working for our LO. But we are both pretty firm on this particular point. I get that it works for a lot of people.

I think bed sharing can work for some families if they have certain expectations. I am in a large moms' group on Facebook, and bed-sharing moms are constantly asking for advice to get a better night's sleep or to wean their kiddo to his or her own room. If you have an expectation that you will likely not get awesome sleep for several years (or as long as you bed share), and you take steps to do it safely, then go for it. But I am with @AnnaTTCat32‌ and won't bed share habitually because I don't want the boundary and independence issues.

FTR my DD has slept in her own bed since day one (room shared for a while), and she is very, very well bonded and attached.

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I'm glad we are talking about the co-sleeping and bed sharing.  I have done it on rare occasion but not every night.  I will say that as an EMT, I'm begging you, if you co-sleep or bedshare, please do so safely.  I don't know how many more of those calls I can take.  But the same goes with blankets in the crib and monitor cords and all of the other safety things that some parents don't consider until it's too late.  You do you.

My UO is that I hate when people are super judgemental or even mean when someone says they may have experienced something early.  Just because it hasn't happened for you yet doesn't mean that it hasn't happened to a total stranger who you've never met.  Yes that flutter might have been baby, or gas, who cares, my guess means nothing.  Enjoy your moment.  And if you are showing (bump or blump or bloat) everyone has a different body.  I'm about 10lbs overweight so I just look like blump, but for super skinny 2+ moms, maybe you are showing.  Who cares?  Enjoy your moment.  Who am I to say you aren't? 

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Options
    Swoon13 said:

I think flip-flops are the ugliest excuse for shoes ever. I know about and support their use in places like the beach or getting a pedicure or hell just when you need to go out in your yard to fiddle with something. But anywhere else NO!

Here in Austin people wear them fucking everywhere! When I go to dinner at a non fast good place I don't want to look at your gross feet! Bleh!

And don't even get me started on those weird fuckwads that wear socks with them!

And this leads to my UO. I wear smartwool socks with my Birkenstocks and I don't apologize. Its a spa experience for my toes and I'm pregnant damn it!
    Me: 27
    DH: 34

Ticker id: Q1i7

Lilypie - (qjIQ)

Building a family since 12/29/12!
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't want to have a long quote tree so I am just going to kind of generally respond. My MIL has zero tact in most situations but this took the cake. She wasn't even going to come up here for the birth but happened to be driving through town with her other child so she stopped in for 20 minutes.

I had been on hospital bed rest the month before I had my son so I was really weak and had a rough recovery. I also have a spinal fusion and degenerative disc disease so I really struggled. I think however you give birth is amazing but I want to have a VBAC because I want to experience the birth (I was under anesthesia for my c/s because they couldn't get the spinal to take because of scar tissue). I think she was trying to put me in my place because I thought that a vaginal birth might be an easier recovery for me. She went on to tell me that I had it easier. She's crazy.

As far as bed sharing, I do this with my son if he is having a really rough night and won't sleep in his crib. It's really difficult for me to get him in and out four or five times throughout the night. I always sleep with him and wouldn't let my husband because he can roll over and not wake up. With my back, it is an event if I change positions. Before I had him I had said I never would. There are a lot of things you will change your mind on when you have a screaming child and need some sleep.
    Married 3/5/11
    BFP: 6/19/12, D&C 8/23/12
    BFP: 5/17/13, Born 12/16/2013

imageimageimage
    January Siggy Challenge: When I am done breastfeeding...

• Options
    Swoon13 said:

Swoon13 said:

I think flip-flops are the ugliest excuse for shoes ever. I know about and support their use in places like the beach or getting a pedicure or hell just when you need to go out in your yard to fiddle with something. But anywhere else NO!

Here in Austin people wear them fucking everywhere! When I go to dinner at a non fast good place I don't want to look at your gross feet! Bleh!

And don't even get me started on those weird fuckwads that wear socks with them!

And this leads to my UO. I wear smartwool socks with my Birkenstocks and I don't apologize. Its a spa experience for my toes and I'm pregnant damn it!
    Most Birkenstocks I've seen aren't like flip-flops though. They don't usually have the thing between the toes do they? How people can stand to walk around with socks and the that between their toes I just can't even!

Still think socks with any type of sandal is weird though, but you are pregnant and lord knows we all need some comfort!
    I do it when not pregnant too. I just might be more likely to apologize for my behavior.

And no, no toe thingy. That would ruin the spa like experience!
    Me: 27
    DH: 34

Ticker id: Q1i7

Lilypie - (qjIQ)

Building a family since 12/29/12!
  • Options
    I don't like most newborn photos people take these days.  I don't like the ones with babies in weird and unnatural positions and places like hanging in a basket from a tree or a baby all smooshed up with their hands propping up their chins. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Man I really want some pie now...damn you all!!!

• Options

Ugh... I hate that. Like there is no pain involved in a C/S?!?

And for all of you out there that say you will never bed share... I said the same thing. That did not last once I figured out how much easier it was to breastfeed my LO in the middle of the night. He went to sleep in his pack and play for his initial round but then once he woke up in the middle of the night I would let him sleep cradled between my arm and my chest for the remaining part. I thought it would be really scary but it just seemed natural and it worked for us. There is a lot of truth in the statement someone made earlier that you just do what have to do to survive. He now sleeps in his own crib but for those first few 9 months or so... it really helped.

I totally get what you're saying, and I'm sure my views on a lot of things will change when I actually become a parent. This is why I am careful not to judge parents in general. When it comes to the bed-sharing though, I am relatively confident that I, personally, will not be able to do it, because I have seen some pretty traumatic things first hand in relation to bed-sharing. Those images don't leave your brain once you see them.

I know there are safer ways to do it, and I am a fan of live and let live  (for example, both of my siblings bed share with their babies, and I keep my mouth shut on the matter, and I still have a LOT of respect for them as parents in general and will rely on them for parenting advice regularly) However, I don't think that in my case, this is not a case of "just you wait till it's you" . Not to call anyone out, but I think @topaz7777 might get what I mean. It's one thing to hear about these stories in the news, it's another thing to see it.

In general, though, I agree with you that there are things I don't and can't understand, so I'm pretty open about most things.

I understand not everyone has been in my shoes so my views on this are probably a bit biased, but hey.

• Options
    abc829 said:
    My parents were able to do it without it. My brother had sever issues and still does. If he got out of hand one parent would take him outside and explain that his behavior was not appropriate they would wait till he calmed down and brought him back inside and we colored together and played tic tac toe. I'm pretty young so there were game boys and the like around the time I was growing up my parents never thought to bring them to dinner to entertain us. I think setting boundaries on how your child should behave in a public setting is important. My children will not have iPad or play with or have a phone till they are old enough. My real issue is the parents on their phones if you engage your child and play fun games while eating they will behave. Edited to also add that kid friendly places were my moms lifesaver! So if he did act out no one was rude and they would come over to talk to my brother and help calm him down if my mom was alone. Granted a grew up in a small town in nj.

I do itnow too..my DD is almost 10 and my DSx2 (twins) do it too! there is a time and a place for everything....don't you ladies remeber the death look from your parents! lol That moment they catch you acting up and they look at you and you know what they are saying with out them saying ANYTHING! lol Maybe its an island thing b/c I knew that look ALL too well as a kid and my kids know it now too! lol OH and don't take the trip to the bathroom with your parents! OMG the whisper yell lol...things I never thought I would do to my kids that my parents did to me lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    My other UO is people getting defensive and pissy at other people on threads call "unpopular Opinions"
    It's called this for a reason people. So that everyone can express their opinion without fear of others getting mad at them. They're "unpopular" for a reason.
  • Options

Mine is tame. I don't like most of the "boutique" little girl clothes that are hugely popular right now. By that I mean the ruffle-bottom pants, the dresses with a million different fabrics (e.g. Matilda Jane), the seasonal appliques with the name embroidered underneath, and so on. I don't care how other people dress their kids, but it's not my style AT ALL.

^^^this a million times!!

Also my UO is that I hate the stupid Frozen movie. And please don't ask why unless you want a serious rant.
  • Options
    abc829abc829 member
    edited September 2014
    @mbm1983‌ I've been wanting to show this to someone so bad lol. I went to use the restroom at chilis and someone created this magical toilet paper throne in the stall I walked into. Maybe you can try this next time?!
    imageimage
    imageimage

• Options
    Oh. And all the candy talk is grossing me out.
  • Options
    I hate sitting on that stupid toilet seat protector paper. It almost always sinks in before my ass hits the seat.
    Toilet seat protectors are stupid, useless and they make a mess. Because the last person was paranoid about all those butt-cheek transmitted diseases out there (...what are they exactly?) now the toilet seat is covered with a wet seat-protector because it fell half into the water and the toilet water crept up it and now the seat is all gross. Dislike. :-q ETA: it's just to make you feel better... But it's such a waste https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5500416
    This is more of an FFFC, but I have actually eaten a sandwich off of a toilet seat before.  Please don't boot me out.  I'm otherwise a fairly clean person, but I did it as part of treatment for a kiddo with OCD.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    angi3o said:

Cali2090 said:

@somerandomchick Not sure why, when I hit the reply button why it doesn't actually reply! But I did not see her previous comment when she said it 'infuriated her' and I suppose your right that could be taken many ways.

You have to hit quote, not reply
    Yesssss! Thank you!!!

• Options
    jk3610jk3610 member
    edited September 2014
    Same!! (With the gray thing). His/her nursery will be gray because i really don't feel like putting money/effort into heavily decorating a room that they could care less about. Plus, if we decide to move in a couple years, can't take the decorated room with. Just call me Debbie Downer lol. That being said, i love decorated nurseries when others do them, just not super into it for myself...
    Together since 5.16.05 (16 & 19yo)
    Married since 3.6.10 (21 & 24yo)
    Baby Olivia coming 4.14.15 <3 (26 & 29yo)

January Siggy Challenge: Fitness Fails

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"