Pregnant after IF

AW...weight

I just need to vent. Starting at, hmm, 3 weeks, my mom took it upon herself to start talking about how I was already gaining weight. This continued through the first trimester and led to a blowout fight right around 20 weeks. I thought maybe she would finally get the message. Then my mother in law, who is normally fine, made a comment about me watching my weight. Then yesterday, my dad came over and tried to make a joke about me being fat. I cried all night and it ruined me and my husband's anniversary plans. Today (of all days) this coworker I never talk to says "time to hit the treadmill." I'm alternating between laughing and crying because what pot-bellied, santa claus wannabe thinks that is a smart thing to say to a pregnant lady??

I'm just surprised I guess because after everything we've been through to get here, I thought my family would be a source of positivity and happy all the time. The most hurtful part is that they keep saying things AFTER I told them to stop. Also, I haven't gained that much weight! I mean people shouldn't say crap regardless, but i still wear pre-pregnancy pants (unbuttoned lol) and pre-pregnancy tops as long as they are long enough to cover my maternity band. ALSO I'M PREGNANT.

My wonderful husband is going to call my parents and tell them to knock it off. Which should do the trick. But I'm sad because I'm very, very close with my parents, and it's gotten so bad that now I don't share any part of the pregnancy with them. I just want to avoid the topic entirely because of where it may lead. And that just sucks, because I've been looking forward to this for 3 years and now they are completely out of the process. I had a friend that did IVF also and her parents drove her to tears over the name she picked out for her son. 100% normal name, they just didn't like it. I just don't understand how you can't be 100% happy for other people who have struggled so much.

/end rant
//totally wearing a bikini to the beach this weekend

TTC since June 2011
DH: perfect SA
Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
IUI or IVF in December

Re: AW...weight

• Ugh. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. The idea that thin is the only acceptable shape for women is so pernicious that even well intentioned people can't help but channel those norms sometimes. Example: A friend of mine recently had a crazy variant of appendicitis and landed in the hospital for a month. She almost died, but she lost tons of weight and people kept telling her how fabulous she looked, including her mother ****who is a shrink for women with eating disorders.*** Unbelievable. I hope a stern talking to will get your family in line!
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • Hugs. My MIL is like this. When I saw her at 20 weeks, the first words out of her mouth were "oh I'm glad you are keeping your weight in check. The doctors today let women gain too much". Ummm, what??? I gained a lot of weight over the course of 8 IVFs so I'm heavy starting off. I haven't gained too much with the pregnancy, especially with twins, but I eat what I want to eat. I'm not trying to "not gain". Also, I'm having twins--- not the same weight recommendations as a singleton yet MIL thinks it should be the same. So annoying. Why would you even mention weight to a pregnant woman? (Not that it should be mentioned to anyone unless they ask for help losing etc).

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Loading the player...
  • @xc1148 I'm so sorry you're dealing with people with no filter. No, filter is the wrong word - common sense is better, no common sense.  Hugs. Who says that to a pregnant woman?  It's so hurtful when it comes from family members who should know better.  As for the pot bellied work guy, if he makes a comment again, tell him you saw a 2 for 1 membership at the gym and perhaps he'd like to join you. What an a$$hat. 
    Me:41  DH: 46 high count but poor motility & morphology
    TTC on and off since 2005

July 2012: Infertility tests started at OB/Gyn, HSG and HSN all clear
    Sept 2012: IUI #1 w/Clomid - BFN
    Oct 2012: IUI #2 w/Clomid - cancelled due to cyst
    Nov 2012: IUI #3 w/Clomid - BFN
    Break to move and find new PCP, OB/Gyn & RE
    Sept 2013: first appt with RE
    Nov / Dec 2013: IVF #1 with ICSI split
      Dec 6: Retrieval, 4 retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized
      Dec 11: Transferred 1 (Day 5)
      Dec 30:  HCG Beta, 4980. BFP!
     1 little bean!
    EDD: August 28 30 2014
    LO Arrived! August 31 2014

All Welcome!

image image
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ OutdoorGirl10 I thought of a comeback like 2 minutes later ugh! It's like that Seinfeld episode where George has a line but it's too late lol.
    TTC since June 2011
    IUI or IVF in December

• I'm so sorry, and sadly completely understand how you feel as I too have been on the receiving end of not too nice comments. My parents visited us when I was around 10/11 weeks and my mom made the comment "oh you're already showing, you are going to be so big and fat"! I wanted to smack the crap out of her! First and foremost, I had terrible constipation and bloat so it wasn't the baby and why on earth....after all we've been through, would she make such a mean comment! As much as we've shared with them, and as often as I've thought over the course of us trying for 3 years that they understood, I'm always reminded that they still don't have a clue!

We've also received a few comments about working on baby #2....although we've already stated repeatedly that we are not doing another IVF and this will be the only child! These are the same people who don't contribute a dime and we have no insurance coverage.

Again, I'm really sorry that you've had to endure this. This should be a very joyous occasion! I'll recommend and it's what I've had to do as well, limit the time you have with them. I refuse to spend my only pregnancy stresses, sad and fearful...so I'm very protective of the energy around me. 

I hope that after your husband has a serious talk with the family they will get it together!

~TTC#1 Since July 2011~ 
    Dx: Fibroids & Tubal Infertility
                                                        9/12 -IVF#1 =BFN; 5/14 -IVF#2=BFP:-) EDD 2.19.2015                                                

S/PAIF Welcome 

imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• @chucktgirl I absolutely love every single one of those comebacks!!!!!! I'm totally going to use them!

I usually give them 1 pass, I'll ignore for a short period of time, but by the 3rd time it's ON!!!

~TTC#1 Since July 2011~ 
    Dx: Fibroids & Tubal Infertility
                                                        9/12 -IVF#1 =BFN; 5/14 -IVF#2=BFP:-) EDD 2.19.2015                                                

S/PAIF Welcome 

imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• So sorry you're going through this! If you still fit into your pre pregnancy pants I'm sure you haven't gain too much. Tell them how much that's hurting you and hopefully they will stop. ((Hugs))
    Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
    FET #1-BFN
    FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
    FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
    FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @ IntuitiveBlue you look great!! Looks like it's all belly to me :)
    TTC since June 2011
    IUI or IVF in December

• Ugh, I hate the weight/size comments when they come from co-workers and strangers, I would probably lose my $hit if I heard it from family.  I haven't gained *that* much weight, probably close to 25 pounds at 30 weeks but it's mostly been in my stomach so I do look further along.  Doesn't matter, people should keep their opinions to themselves!  I hope that they back off once your H talks to them, sorry you're having a tough time with them.

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• indianaalumindianaalum member
    edited August 2014
    I am so sorry you are going through this. I can relate to having the "fun" part of your pregnancy ruined which sucks. I can't believe ANY person would tell  a pregnant (or even NON pregnant) person its time to hit the treadmill. HOW RUDE.

This sucks, and I am so sorry you are going through this.

on a side note: I love this board. I was feeling sad about a family stressful situation and posted about it on a different pregnancy board and I got ripped to shreds. I like that people here are always so supportive of each other :)
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• That really, really sucks.  I would probably start being pretty rude to people, honestly.  Not sure I can come up with a good snappy statement to put them in their place at the moment, but I'll probably keep mulling it over since it pisses me off so much that you're being treated like that.

I've gotten some of the opposite comments - about how skinny I've stayed since being pregnant - and it also pisses me off.  Don't praise me for that, dipshits.  I'm eating plenty, trying to make healthy choices, exercising a bit, but it isn't about how I've managed to not put on weight.  It's just how my body has reacted to pregnancy, and everyone's is different.  It makes me really, really uncomfortable when someone comments about how I'm "all belly" and then starts making some nasty comment about some women "let themselves go" and then I want to hit them in the face.  I do typically tell them that it's just how my body has gone, and I don't care if I gain lots of weight if it's what's necessary for my body to grow this child.

One of the things that pisses me off THE MOST is how everyone else seems to think it's okay to judge how much weight someone is or has gained or has lost.  Most especially pregnant women.  JUST SHUT UP PEOPLE!  I see so many women on my BMB who complain about gaining weight, or worry about gaining weight - dude, you guys are growing a person!  Eat healthy, exercise - those are generally good things to do no matter what, especially when pregnant, but stop focusing on the damned scale. 

If someone finds they're eating too much mac 'n cheese and ice cream and sitting on the couch?  Well, those two things should probably be improved upon, but not because of how much the scale says or because your cheeks got pudgy - because it's HEALTHIER to eat healthy and exercise, not because of how you look or what you weigh!  UGH!

The most infuriated I think I've ever been on the subject was when I saw a magazine headline basically shaming Kim Kardashian (who I don't particularly like) and Jessica Simpson (who I also think is a bit nutty) by showing a picture of Catherine Middleton and saying basically how those two women could learn about how to stay "stylishly sleek" during pregnancy.  WT-ever-loving-F is wrong with people?!!!  Catherine Middleton had HG, I'm sure both she and her doctors wished she could gain a bit more weight.  And the other two are growing human beings!  Their boobs and bellies and butts get bigger because that's just what happens!  After years of probably intense diets and exercise routines, can you blame a woman for lessening it a bit when pregnant, which is probably what her doctors wanted?! 

I just... I can't with people.  Weight shaming just pisses me off so much.
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Wow...it what world is it ever ok to mention a pregnant woman's weight!?!?!?!  I am so baffled by the things that come out of people's mouths...but to have it be family is even harder.  :( sorry hun

ME - 31, DH - 40

Married 06/25/2011, TTC since 03/2012

BFP #1 on 11/13/12 -- EDD 7/24/13 -- M/C (CP) on 11/21/12

BFP #2 on  7/21/13 -- EDD 3/29/14 -- M/C (CP) on 7/31/13

09/4/13 - 4/16/14 -- IUI #1 - 6 = BFNs :(

7/13/14 -- IVF #1 w/ ICSI

ER on 7/26/14 -- 20 R, 15 M, 11 F

ET on 7/31/14 -- 1 transferred (4bb); 8 frosties!!!

BFP #3 on 8/8/14 -- EDD 04/18/15

BETA #1:  473,  BETA #2: 1009, BETA #3: 1975

** It's a BOY!!! **

image    image 

• I'm so sorry people, especially family are being so harsh about this. Next time they say something, tell them your doctor says your weight is fine and....HELLO?! You're PG!!! Ugh. While at a party recently, a friend's wife (who is also pg) asked me if I had gained any weight yet. When I told her no, not yet, she looked me up and down like "yeah right" to which I then followed up with well, you obviously know I was overweight before getting pg, my fat is probably shifting ;) Then she starting whining at how she's been told she's gaining too much weight. Smh. Weight is such a touchy subject, I don't know why some people are so focused on it...oh yes I do..it's bc they are the insecure ones! ;)
    **All welcome**
     Me: 33 Hypothyroid, HBP, Low Vit D Anemic, Stage 2 Adrenal failure. Unexplained Infertility
    DH: 33 Cancer survivor 
    Married Dec. 2007
    10/2013 Clomid, bfn
    10/2013 HSG, all clear
    11/2013 Clomid, bfn. Cyst burst.
    IUI #1 - 12/31/2013  Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #2 - 1/31/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #3 - 2/22/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #4 - 3/24/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN
    IVF Summer 2014 -Cancelled!
    Natural BFP 5/28! Beta: 545.
    1st ultrasound 6/18 - one bean!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ((Hugs)) I don't have much to add to what has been said already. I'm sorry people have said these things to you. I remember one day at work when I was pregnant with A that one floor all agreed that I looked huge and that I had to have twins (they all knew I did IVF and had 20 u/s...) 10 minutes later another floor said I looked too small and the baby was probably growing too slowly..... I don't know what it is about a pregnant lady that makes people lose their filter and common sense!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Oh, hun. I'm sorry! Those people are absolutely ridiculous. I'm so tired of people judging pregnant women on their weight gain! You are supporting another living human being FFS! It's not like you've just been eating too many ding dongs.

FWIW, I'm 5'5, carrying twins, and went from 112lb at BFP to 152 lb at 27 weeks (last week). I think I'm beautiful and if anyone has any issues with that, I'll sit on them :-p

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"