October 2014 Moms

Weekly GD Check In! 08/12/14

edited August 2014 in October 2014 Moms

This weekly check-in is for anyone with Gestational Diabetes, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, or other blood sugar issues during pregnancy.  If this is your first time posting, please let us know with a short intro.

New to GD?   Check here for a quick reference guide.  https://community.babycenter.com/post/a46582366/new_to_gd_quick_reference

Check In:   How is the diet going?  Any challenges that we can help out with?  Any new recipes/ successes that you want to share?  Rant/Vent about the lack of candy?

QOTW:    Are you bringing any special treats in your hospital bag (to eat after you deliver)?  

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

Re: Weekly GD Check In! 08/12/14

• Diet is going well. I had some issues with my fasting numbers initially but after a couple of weeks, they are now in the eighties - I guess my body is getting used to the diet.

Lack of candy - I get past this by eating 2-3 chocolates and a glass of soy milk as my night time snack sometimes. Luckily, my fasting numbers are still ok.

Special treats in the hospital - one of my favorite pizza places is right by the hospital so DH will definitely be getting me lunch from there after I deliver!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My fasting numbers aren't changing, no matter what they do.  They upped my NPH to 32 yesterday and no change to the fasting number this morning.  Hopefully, things will start to level out so they can figure out how much I actually need (fingers crossed that the comment I heard that the numbers tend to level out around 32 weeks is true). 

I love Hershey's drops and will probably pack bag of those (DH doesn't like them, so I don't have to worry about him raiding them before delivery).  Aside from that, DH has a list of treats that he is going to assign people to bring when they visit.  Top of the list - Krispy Kreme donuts.  We ate those when we after both the ER and ET, so it is only fitting that we enjoy some after delivery.  

Married 10/06

• Loading the player...
  • Diet/exercise is going good, although I am starting to have back pain which is limiting my cardio options :0( Pretty much just ellipticalling it up at this point, and then strength training.

My hospital is across the street from WHATABURGER which is 24/7 so after I deliver DH knows he has to go get me a #1 meal with cheese and a strawberry milkshake. HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and I had a Dr. Pepper icee this past weekend. Oops. 
  • @dreadgamerwife just a suggestion/request: when you make the weekly check-in thread can you say the week? Like Weekly GD Check-in: 12 Aug? People keep the convos going on these threads all week and then its hard to know which one is the new one...
  • Diet is going pretty good. I have been talk to about the soda I drink. Trying to make a change so my meds don't get messed with. Turned my logs in from over the weekend and they said that is the amount of time I had to figure out timing of my meds and cut down the soda. Hopefully the like my numbers because I thought they were good.

Snack: some sort of candy and a cupcake or something. I have been craving baked goods since the board keeps talking about them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Intro: Not sure what ya'all want to know.  My doc does the 2 hour test and I failed the final draw by 3 points.  I've been testing my blood for a week now and have only had one high reading (after cinnamon toast crunch - I was trying to finish the box).  I did not have GD with DS, but type 2 runs in the family so Now I'm paranoid about the future.

How is the diet going? I'm not really happy with this diet so far.  I'm hitting my goals for carbs and protein but I'm not getting enough calories.  I know I can add certain veggies, but doesn't that add more carbs?  I don't miss candy so much as I miss frosting and baking.

I don't really have any plans for my hospital bag right now, but last time I brought hershey kisses for the nurses and ended up eating half of them. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Diet and exercise are going well. I had one high number Friday night when we went out to eat. Just trying to play around to see what works and what doesn't. Sushi doesn't, nor do french fries... 
    I miss my baked goods a little more than candy. Although I do allow myself to have a dark chocolate square in the middle of the day, as long as my lunch time numbers were good.

I told DH, after LO is born and he holds her for a bit he has to go get me a pumpkin spice latte (yes I am one of those girls) an Italian Sub, cookies and now, thanks to @DreadGamerWife, he'll to get some Krispy Kreme doughnuts too! ;) 

My favorite recipe this of mine has been bruschetta chicken over whole wheat pasta. 
    We grilled the chicken breast, and melted a marinated mozzarella cheese from Trade Joe's on top, then I mixed tomato, basil, onion, garlic and balsamic and placed that over the chicken and pasta. It was amazing! My numbers after were in the 90's. 
  • NavyFlyer said:
    @dreadgamerwife just a suggestion/request: when you make the weekly check-in thread can you say the week? Like Weekly GD Check-in: 12 Aug? People keep the convos going on these threads all week and then its hard to know which one is the new one...
    Not a problem.  Will do.

Oh, and I am so jealous that you live near a Whataburger.  

Married 10/06

• PC0909 said:

Intro: Not sure what ya'all want to know.  My doc does the 2 hour test and I failed the final draw by 3 points.  I've been testing my blood for a week now and have only had one high reading (after cinnamon toast crunch - I was trying to finish the box).  I did not have GD with DS, but type 2 runs in the family so Now I'm paranoid about the future.

How is the diet going? I'm not really happy with this diet so far.  I'm hitting my goals for carbs and protein but I'm not getting enough calories.  I know I can add certain veggies, but doesn't that add more carbs?  I don't miss candy so much as I miss frosting and baking.

I don't really have any plans for my hospital bag right now, but last time I brought hershey kisses for the nurses and ended up eating half of them. 

Try adding in more fat if you need more calories.  I know, it goes against almost everything that we were taught (at least me) - the importance of a low fat diet, etc.  Peanut butter (or other nut butter), full fat cheese, some occasional full fat ice cream (as a snack), etc.  Items that will provide both fat and protein are good.  Personally, I have been inhaling peanut butter - I eat it by the mega spoonful.  

Married 10/06

• Hey all...intro ing here. I just got the call Friday that I failed my 3 hour (I am 29 weeks). I don't have an appointment with the nutritionist at the perinatologist until Monday so I have no idea what to do. No diet, just trying to stay away from sweets right now....I was eating a dessert every night so I'm sure this is all my fault. I started craving pops cereal after the favorite cereal thread on here a few months back so I think that's what I'm going to miss the most. That's what I'll probably pack for the hospital but I probably won't want it when I'm not pregnant anymore :)
    Anyway, hey!
    photo DSC_7607-Version2_zps4129cb9d.jpg funny gifs

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• NavyFlyer said:
    @dreadgamerwife just a suggestion/request: when you make the weekly check-in thread can you say the week? Like Weekly GD Check-in: 12 Aug? People keep the convos going on these threads all week and then its hard to know which one is the new one...
    Not a problem.  Will do.

Oh, and I am so jealous that you live near a Whataburger.  
    Thank you kindly for the date! I'm probably the only spaz that worried about that :0). And yes, the navy had me stationed where there were no whataburgers for 6 years, so when I moved back down here in April it was like the heavens opened up and shined on that lovely orange and white roof. Then I was diagnosed with GD and just shed a tear as I drive by...
  • Hey all...intro ing here. I just got the call Friday that I failed my 3 hour (I am 29 weeks). I don't have an appointment with the nutritionist at the perinatologist until Monday so I have no idea what to do. No diet, just trying to stay away from sweets right now....I was eating a dessert every night so I'm sure this is all my fault. I started craving pops cereal after the favorite cereal thread on here a few months back so I think that's what I'm going to miss the most. That's what I'll probably pack for the hospital but I probably won't want it when I'm not pregnant anymore :) Anyway, hey!
    Nope, not your fault!!!! I was eating super super healthy and got it anyway, so don't blame yourself! It's a random act of violence :0) Welcome, though!
  • starla487 said:
    DH is planning a homemade Mac and Cheese dinner when we get home. I'm mostly more excited to flip off my CGM alarms more than anything.
    This. 
    EDD 10/24/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The last week my numbers have been fantastic until last night after dinner and this morning for fasting. Left my Lancer at home so no after breakfast or lunch numbers to see if I'm still outta whack.

Post delivery I still have to check my numbers for three weeks so I am not sure if I will be brave enough to "splurge" I have a deep fear that my numbers won't be better after the baby since I have had such a hard time.
  • So I got a response from the dietician about my numbers and so far so good. Nothing said about med changes. I feel like I am finally on the right track. Now to stop soda. It just keeps calling me back.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have been controlling by diet until a week and a half ago.  I had two higher numbers on 2 different days so doc put me on metformin 500x2/day.  Now my bs bottoms out after my morning med and I feel like crap most of the day so I have to eat more to keep that from happening.  My fasting numbers are in the 80's every morning. It's crazy.  And the side effects from the medicine have me running to the bathroom.  Yuck!  I'm 32 weeks today.
  • rae76 said:
    I have been controlling by diet until a week and a half ago.  I had two higher numbers on 2 different days so doc put me on metformin 500x2/day.  Now my bs bottoms out after my morning med and I feel like crap most of the day so I have to eat more to keep that from happening.  My fasting numbers are in the 80's every morning. It's crazy.  And the side effects from the medicine have me running to the bathroom.  Yuck!  I'm 32 weeks today.
    Ask your doc to switch you to the extended release version of metformin. People usually have far fewer GI side effects on that.
  • My current diabetes struggle is that the awesome nurse at my MFM's office is out on vacation, and the nurse filling in for her is not responding to my emailed logs. I called and she said she'd have the doc look at them, but she just doesn't seem to be in a hurry. Oh well, thankfully awesome nurse won't be on vacation forever.

I don't have anything new diet-wise to grumble about. I found this recipe for zucchini bread, and it is awesome. I use 20 prunes and a little stevia in place of the dates to make it super diabetes-friendly. https://www.primallyinspired.com/5-minute-zucchini-blender-bread/

My current diet actually allows for more carbs than how I ate before pregnancy, when I ate a much lower carb diet to control my diabetes. The treat I've been missing is wine. While I'd love to have a glass of champagne at the hospital, I don't want it getting into my milk supply.
  • Check In:   How is the diet going?  Any challenges that we can help out with?  Any new recipes/ successes that you want to share?  Rant/Vent about the lack of candy? I have found several Publix recipes that are lower on the total carb end. Some days I just don't feel like dieting like this anymore. So over this

QOTW:    Are you bringing any special treats in your hospital bag (to eat after you deliver)?  I have not thought about this....going to have to get on this immediately!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• MrsL2B said:

rae76 said:

I have been controlling by diet until a week and a half ago.  I had two higher numbers on 2 different days so doc put me on metformin 500x2/day.  Now my bs bottoms out after my morning med and I feel like crap most of the day so I have to eat more to keep that from happening.  My fasting numbers are in the 80's every morning. It's crazy.  And the side effects from the medicine have me running to the bathroom.  Yuck!  I'm 32 weeks today.

Ask your doc to switch you to the extended release version of metformin. People usually have far fewer GI side effects on that.

I second this! When DH was first put on metformin he had the same issue (we even had to cut our plans short a few times b/c he couldn't make it.) After they switched him to extended release, he no longer had that problem. It may even keep your sugar from bottoming out as much b/c it's not all hitting the system at once.

• Mind if I join you ladies? I took the 2 hour test a few weeks ago and failed the 1 hour by 2 points. That was enough for them to send me to the nutritionist. After a week of testing 4x a day, she recommended I see the endocrinologist b/c my fasting numbers were high. She then put me on Humilin(sp) and I have had it increased twice in the last 3 weeks. I am able to manage my meals and am learning which foods will spike me, but it's frustrating because my fasting numbers are still in the upper 90s.

Meals have been ok. Just glad it's summer and there are so many fresh veggies and fruits to eat.

I told DH that sushi will be our first dinner out, but right after delivery, I am hoping he will grab us cheesesteaks from one of my favorite places.

Me- 36 DH- 40 ***TTC since 1/13

BFP #1 - 4/3/13 *** EDD 12/13/13 ***M/C 4/12/13 @5wks 1 day

BFP#2 - 1/29/14 ***EDD 10/11/14

It's a GIRL!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Oooh, sushi!
  • edited August 2014
    Mind if I join?  Found out on Monday I failed the 3 hour GTT, picked up all my supplies that evening, and have been tracking my numbers since yesterday morning.  Thus far my morning number has been in the 70's twice, and after breakfast, lunch and dinner I'm in the 70s - 80s.  Last night I had a piece of asiago cheese bread from panera w/cheddar cheese & 1/2 a piece of Naan as a snack, and was still 75 in the morning! Breakfast today was a 0% Fage and 2 tbspn honey roasted peanut better (which I hate, and didn't realize is a no-no until after I ate it) and my BG was 85 2 hours later.  I assume at some point it's going to get worse, but for now I will take it!

ETA: I should also add that as someone who has spent the majority of her life battling an ED (anorexia and then bulimia) this diagnosis has been incredibly difficult to handle, and I now need to reenter more intense therapy so I don't slip back down the anorexia rabbit hole, because that's where restrictions tend to take me.

Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• lrobi13lrobi13 member
    edited August 2014

@golfingdawinfish I am sorry that you have to join us but your numbers sound great!  It is an adjustment but there is some good support here and the dx is not because of anything you have done or eaten.  It is only for a short while and it is extremely doable!!

eta. corrected call out

• MrsL2B said:
    rae76 said:

I will definitely ask.  Thank you for the suggestion!  I didn't know there was an extended release.  He told me yesterday at my appointment to take Kaopectate or Immodium to help with those issues, but I don't want to take those types of meds if there's another option.  
  • rae76 said:
    I second this! When DH was first put on metformin he had the same issue (we even had to cut our plans short a few times b/c he couldn't make it.) After they switched him to extended release, he no longer had that problem. It may even keep your sugar from bottoming out as much b/c it's not all hitting the system at once.

Thanks for your input!  I understand your DH's dilemma.  It's frustrating!  We went furniture shopping after my appointment yesterday and had to leave the store so I could find a bathroom because the furniture store wouldn't let anyone use their bathroom.  
  • rae76rae76 member
    edited August 2014
    Question from my OB appointment yesterday....have any of you been told that you'll be having a non-stress test the last month of your pregnancy because of your GD?  OB told me yesterday that when I get to 36 weeks they  will have me go to the hospital after my appointment to be on the monitor to check and see how baby is doing and that she's not getting stressed, not because there's anything necessarily wrong, but because of blood sugar issues.  I was curious as to how many other GD momma's are doing this...

ETA - He said they will do this every week after each appointment until I deliver.
  • edited August 2014
    @rae76  Immodium helps with the issues.  I had to make sure I kept some on hand when I first went on Metformin ER 10 years ago.  You may also figure out that one or two foods just don't work anymore while in the med (cause GI distress).  

Also, I start the non stress tests in two weeks (34 weeks) at my regular MFM appointments.  Everything I hear, it is pretty common for GD moms to get regular stress tests and growth ultrasounds during the last month or so.  

Married 10/06

• @rae76  Immodium helps with the issues.  I had to make sure I kept some on hand when I first went on Metformin ER 10 years ago.  You may also figure out that one or two foods just don't work anymore while in the med (cause GI distress).  

Also, I start the non stress tests in two weeks (34 weeks) at my regular MFM appointments.  Everything I hear, it is pretty common for GD moms to get regular stress tests and growth ultrasounds during the last month or so.  
    Thanks for the info. I may have to go buy some to keep as well.  I guess I was just surprised that we would be doing the extra testing since everything has been measuring well and all has been good.  But that's why he told me yesterday so I would be expecting it when he sent me over in a few weeks. He even said he was fine with my blood sugars but felt it was good that I was on the meds because demand increases as pregnancy progresses.  I've only had one friend with GD and her son is 9 and she says she doesn't remember a lot of what they did. :)  It helps to have all of you ladies as a source of information so I really appreciate it. 
  • starla487 said:
    @rae76 I start NSTs this week, twice a week until the end. It's a pretty common thing to test for.
    @golfingdarwinfish‌ - I'm sorry this adds more stress. :( Restrictions aren't fun, but you can do it. Ask us anything! I probably have some crazy solution for you locked away after battling D for so long.
    Thanks, I try not to worry, but it's not easy. :)  
  • I had GD with my first and was diet controlled and the same with this LO. My OB has an ultrasound scheduled at 36 weeks but it's to check the position of my fibroids, not necessarily for GD. Other than that, I haven't had any additional monitoring for the GD.

• @rae76 I'm a Type 1. I started NSTs last week. My high risk group does them once a week until I hit 32 weeks and then I'll do them twice a week. It takes up a good amount of time (check in, getting hooked up, at least 20 minutes on the monitors) before work every Thursday morning for now, but they aren't so bad. 
    EDD 10/24/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I found this a couple of days ago and wanted to share it with this great group. It discusses the management of pregestational and gestational diabetics during pregnancy and delivery. https://www.glowm.com/section_view/heading/Diagnosis and Management of Diabetes Mellitus in Pregnancy/item/162
  • I was just diagnosed Thursday and started tracking my numbers yesterday (8/12).  So far, my numbers are great and I hope they stay that way.  I would love to hear what you eat for breakfast.  I'm not a big fan of eggs but that seems to be the only way to get a large serving of protein.  I have had eggs every morning since getting the news on Thursday and have tried to add some variety with cheese, salsa, and various vegetables added to it, but I really don't know how much longer I will be able to keep eating eggs.

I have been eating "ants on a log", but my ants are raisinets so I get a little bit of my sweet craving satisfied.  I haven't tried this since I started monitoring my blood sugar levels, but I think I might try it tonight to see how it goes.

I want a homemade blueberry pie waiting for me after deliver (which I doubt will happen).  I was going to make one for myself last week and didn't get around to it.  Now I can't make one so I have my blueberries measured out and frozen and just waiting until after delivery.
  • @rae76 I am 32 weeks on Sat and will start the weekly NST this Friday. My doctors office has a separate room for this so I think it is just combined with my regular appointment and then hooked up to the monitors. @cmcookain I dislike eggs as well. Tried eggs whites with sausage on half an English muffin, but I got tired of that pretty quickly. I have been eating vanilla Greek yogurt with blueberries for the last 2 weeks. It is high in carbs, but also high in protein and my numbers usually stay pretty low, at least my doctors are ok with them. I am looking for other options too that are quick for the morning.

Me- 36 DH- 40 ***TTC since 1/13

BFP #1 - 4/3/13 *** EDD 12/13/13 ***M/C 4/12/13 @5wks 1 day

BFP#2 - 1/29/14 ***EDD 10/11/14

It's a GIRL!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• My DH just made the best dinner. Carb and GD diet friendly.
    Chicken Breast, Swiss cheese slices, avocado, tomato, pineapple, and plantanes. Lemon and lime to Garnish. The chicken Ann plantanes were pan fried and then stacked on the plate. It was yummy and I am looking forward to left over for lunch tomorrow.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My breakfast is normally a.piece of whole wheat toast with a slice of cheese and some Canadian bacon. All toasted. It was working great last week but my numbers have been crap the last two days.
  • My breakfast is one frozen waffle (multigrain) with chunky peanut butter on it.  I also eat two turkey sausage patties and drink a lot of water.  Same thing every single day.  Since I take my iron pills in the mornings, I can't eat anything with calcium in it.  As such, it really restricts what I cat eat for breakfast.

Married 10/06

• My breakfast is a glass of soy milk and a Greek yogurt. I discovered Greek yogurt when I had GD with my first and it has been my go-to breakfast since. I have also discovered that I can get away with two breakfast tacos from a taco place next to work - I get those once or twice a week to mix things up.

• I picked this bar up from starbucks this morning. 15g carb. It almost reminded me of a rice crispy treat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"